Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Is it the Pioneer's stuff with the bonuses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Starting KOTFE will lock you out of a ton of earlier story content, so you don't want to start that too soon if the story interests you.

Getting a ton of XP early on is a good idea, though, because almost all game content will scale to your level. This is my usual method for a new character:

1. Do the full intro planet story; no need to rush it because it's pretty quick already.
2. Hit the fleet and get your advanced class, and do the little breadcrumb quests for crafting and stuff. Click every crew skill trainer for the codex entry, it's free XP.
3. Do the first solo-mode flashpoint for more quick XP. Enjoy the story if you're not burnt out on it.
4. Grab one or two friends and do heroics for a while, it's fast XP, fast money, and you'll have a full set of good, level-appropriate gear after a couple planets.

At this point, depending on how you played, your character might be around... level 35? With double XP, who knows... Anyway, level 35-ish is a good time to continue:

5. Now go back and pick up your class story at the second planet. You can cruise through the entire class story without doing ANY side quests, because you built up a good XP buffer. The level scaling means you still get good XP from the low-level quests. By the time you wrap up the story you'll be at LEAST level 50. With double XP you might even hit 65.

If you want to pause between chapters and do more solo-mode flashpoints, that will give you some extra bang for your buck story-wise, and give you some DvL achievements.

After the class story you can do whatever late-game stuff / expansion content you feel like. (Follow the Dulfy guide if you're going for the XP armor.)

Even playing casually, all this probably won't take more than a week. Given that the event runs a couple more months, you'll have ample time to mess with some alts.

By scaling, do you mean that when I go into my little side areas it'll all be at my level even if I'm way over the outside mobs on the planet? Because that's pretty cool. I was worried that leveling so fast would put me way above them.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Yes, when you go to any planet (or other quest area) your level is scaled down to the planet's level. You get to keep all your high-level skills and some secondary stats, but it caps your main stats/amor/damage. The cap is exactly what it sounds like, you can be below the cap but not above it. As long as your level and gear are above the planet you're on, you effectively have the best gear for that planet all the time.

That means it's actually to your advantage to be leveled/geared way above the content you're doing. You'll get the same XP from it but you'll kick its rear end. Low-level quests don't "gray out" or decrease in value. You can no longer "out-level" anything in the game. Leveling up only unlocks more content, you lose nothing, so there's no downside to absurdly front-loading your XP on any given character.

The only real caveat is not every quest reward will scale; like if you get a helmet from a level 20 quest it'll be a level 20 helmet. That's not really a problem, because better gear is easy to get, and you can still use armor rewards for the outfit system if they look cool. It can just feel a little anticlimactic. Rule of thumb: when you're offered a choice of quest rewards, pick data crystals; they'll always be useful.

Oh, I get scaled down instead of it getting scaled up inside the side zones.

Pretty cool anyhow! With the 2x XP I thought I'd pull too far ahead, but I don't think that'll be a problem after all.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Nerd Of Prey posted:

With the heroic quests, you unlock more by leveling up, but they're all good all the time; you get more money and better gear from all of them at higher levels, and as you get near the level cap it starts giving you stuff for the alliance quests from KOTFE.

What are those? I haven't played since well before KotFE.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

MC Nietzche posted:

Can you buy the account-wide Treek unlock from the GTN? Is Treek worth buying?

IIRC Treek's main gimmick was being able to do all three roles, and all companions do that now. I think. I didn't play when Treek came out and don't have that companion now.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

nonentity posted:

Yeah, it is.

'Is it A or B?' 'Yes.'

I'm going to assume that it's a sub bonus though.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Apparently the bonus XP continues, though? I highlighted my XP bar and it said something like 700 hours left.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

sassassin posted:

~730 hours remaining.

Medullah posted:

The timer is wrong on the XP bar, they mentioned it on the stream. 200% XP ends Tuesday.

I thought it would last longer too, but apparently it won't.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Lightning tunings look good and I keep meaning to search for them on the market, except I don't know if I'll be using my current weapon forever so it's kind of a waste.

Unfortunately.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I assumed they were single-use like dyes. If they're not, or can be collected, then it's time for me to pick one up.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Aleth posted:

They do.

Fortunately you can extract them and move them to a different weapon if you want like any mod, they just don't unlock in collections.

Oh sweet, time to find one then. I have one of the lightsabers that mists a little bit around its base (Volatile Derelict); does it overwrite that or do both effects?

edit: oh god they're so expensive never mind

Prism fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

nonentity posted:

You're welcome.

Both DVL speeders pew pew. Well, the bike pew pews.

The tank just pews.

Anyway, As far as hiding in the turret, I couldn't control the animations, but only could select the pose. So that's what I went with.

There's a DvL speeder? What reward level was that?

• Locked thread