Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

bear is driving! posted:

Is the majority of the "gameplay" still riding your mount for 20 minutes through empty fields/forests/desert/tundra to collect 5 krayt claws and then riding another 20 minutes back to turn them in?

Exaggeration aside, Tatooine and Hoth killed my enjoyment of this game because I felt like I spent more time going from place to place than I did actually DOING anything and it was loving BORING.

Until you hit Belsavis, then it's 40 minutes of travel each way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Every conversation with Skadge should have ended with the option to replace his entire head with a flurry of hot plasma.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

prefect posted:

He really shouldn't have survived the initial meeting.

Although I will admit he can be funny as a companion. I wanted to get the 1000-kills-with-companion achievement, so I had him running around behind me as a medic, asking if I was going to cry like a little baby because I got injured.

Hilarious, i guess? Gault is much better for that I feel.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

So I've been playing a Guardian and I really want to like it because I really like T7 and really like Kira and very much enjoy being 'good' again [my past two characters were a BH and a SI] but holy poo poo, how do people play non ranged classes in this. It feels so much slower compared to my SI, who I just threw down a lightning storm up until makeb, and killed entire groups of mobs. My two AOE moves suck and barely do a third of a normal mob's hp, my leap cooldown means I basically kill one group of mob, then have to physically run up to another, then I can jump to the third...

I really like the animation for Blade Dance, but drat I think Melee just isn't for me.

I can't get over the JG male voice sounding like a slightly more advanced speak and spell

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

Consular has the best republic side story, but the worst republic side companions. [Contrast this to Trooper, which has the worst republic side story, but the BEST COMPANION FOR THE REPUBLIC!]

The Knight has a pretty generic story, but their companions [note: I only have 3 currently] all are pretty neat. Doc is def my least favorite of them, but even he's better than people like Qyzen. I think the only good companion Consular has is Nadia in comparison, who is still less engaging than Kira or T7.

Also: gently caress you meddullah, for suggesting I do PVP for gear. That was the worst experience I've had in SWTOR, where I jumped at mercs and died before I got 3 GCDs in, what the heck.

Edit: Actually, I find the whole 'good story, dumb companions - bad story, good companions' thing to be pretty true for the whole game. Imperial Agent gets some boring loving companions barring SCORPIO, but is a good story. Sith Inquisitor is a terrible story, but their companions are fun. Sith Warrior only has two companions I remember [Jaesa and Vette] so I dunno what that says about them.

LS Warrior has to be the best story in the entire game because you spend it making Jedi so goddamn mad at how much better you are than them they go DS

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Who do I poke for a guild invite? Akravator is the name

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Sometimes, on my Jugg, I throw my saber and it doesn't come back to me. I get stuck in the pose and can run around looking like an idiot until I use another combat action, and it persists through mounting.

Other times, the saber comes back but I stay in the pose with it whirling around just out of grasp under my hand.

It's beautiful.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Medullah posted:

My favorite has always been when my marauder uses force camouflage and doesn't reappear. Just two swords floating in air, like an Enchanter pet in EverQuest

Hell, for a while by BH's gloves would vanish so a pair of starforged blasters would just hover near her arm stumps in combat

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I was trying not to laugh at people predicting 'inflation' with alt currency being converted to credits. We've been in the MMO game long enough to know that the conversion rate is always a meaningless amount in the end unless you're maxed out on whatever guff currency over multiple characters.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

sassassin posted:

She's apparently sith so can't be trusted and I'll have to off her at some point.

But for now she'll capably fulfil a Qyzen-like meatshield role (alongside the painfully unfunny droid).

Please don't call Koth that

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

SgtSteel91 posted:

I don't really understand all the dislike for Koth. I though he was alright and kind of funny, like when he cock-blocks a romance scene between the PC and Lana.

Koth is a child that doesn't give a poo poo that your entire civilization was one big setup by Valkorion to funnel the souls of the dead to make him truly immortal because Koth benefited from it by being born in the favored empire.

gently caress Koth.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Lol, there can be no in-between. Either it's 'a ton of buttons, get over it' or 'press 'A' button to do everything like some sort of scrub'

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

Even then though; im not intimately familiar with the EU, but from what I have seen, I haven't seen any examples of anybody embracing the cool parts of the dark side without becoming cackling villains. The closest I've seen is in SWTOR actually, some of the consular's choices are like "LS: report kissing teenagers to the authorities because love against the rules / DS: just leave them alone it doesn't matter". But then it moves back into "actually, the dark side is evil" territory after that.

That's mostly due to the teachings that Darksiders get, I would say. Pushed to go all in, full tilt evil monsters just to survive in their culture.

I really never liked that the canon puts the Jedi's teachings of suppressing your emotions and 'humanity' up on a pedestal. It's about as poo poo as always showing the Dark Side as being emotion-roid-rage fueled monsters.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Anakin "brings balance to the force" by ultimately destroying the Emperor. Star Wars is a movie for children you're reading too much into it if you think it's any deeper?

I keep seeing this 'It's for children' thing and I can't help but think that's a really weak rear end excuse to hand-wave away deeper discussion of the narrative and story beats involved in that particular piece of media.

'Things for children' (which I wouldn't count Star Wars as being*) can be deep and meaningful easily enough.

*It has all-age appeal, and really makes mad bank on toys, but it was clearly not conceived as a product 'for children'. Especially the original trilogy, clearly the new trilogy and spin-offs in the works, and Ep 2 and 3 are debatable.

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Male Knight sounds like a goddamn speak and spell

• Locked thread