Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Medullah posted:

But it's going back to a 1.0 like RNG based system. You get a box with a random piece of gear based on your Advanced Class - so you could get two set piece belts. Anyone who remembers warzone Champion gearing can tell you how awful it was.

And if what the thread is saying is true, no more getting a piece of gear on one alt (like an unassembled piece) and transferring it to an alt, since the gear is advanced class based.

I guess it will depend on how fast you level galactic command and how often you get rewards for it.

Yes. It was horrible and eventually pretty demotivating. Not that the ops changes haven't been completely demotivating in the last few expansions. The last ops I personally enjoyed were the dread masters ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Aleth posted:

What MMO does, really? As much as they might cry about it MMOs have long since stopped bothering to cater to the 'hardcore' raiders because it's not worth it to spend time and money on poo poo that a tiny minority of players will bother with until they get bored and move on/whine about. Much better financially and easier to pander to the 'casual' crowd who will drop the occasional :10bux: on vanity poo poo/gamble boxes, I would have thought.

Some of us were permanently scarred by Everquest raiding, ok?!

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Medullah posted:

First question - EverQuest raiding was a beast. In the earliest days, there was no such thing as "raid groups" so you had groups of 6 working together to take out major kills - like 40+ people. So, you clear your way to the dragon, and you happen to die. Every time you die, you lose XP AND you reappear wherever you were "bound" which could be an HOUR away, and have to make it back to your corpse completely naked. Most of the time a cleric could ressurect you which would bring you right back to your corpse and restore some of the lost XP - assuming your entire raid group didn't die. If they did, then it sometimes took hours to get everyone back to where they could make another attempt at the boss. And hey, if you were raiding in Plane of Fear at level 47, and you died and lost a level going down to 46, you couldn't even go back in to get your corpse!

So the boss is dead, now whichever group happened to get the killing blow is the one that was able to loot the boss - and you had to trust that they were being honest with what gear the boss dropped, because in the early days, it didn't even tell you what was looted. GOOD TIMES.

To answer your second question, the reason people are so sour about this new gear system is yes, there is a very good chance you can get a duplicate piece of armor, and there's ALSO a good chance that you'll get a piece of armor that isn't for your discipline. Example - you are a Juggernaut tank, and need 1 more piece to complete your set bonus. Even if it's just armor in the box (not taking into account relics and implants), you have just as good a chance of rolling that tank armor piece you need as you do as getting a DPS set piece. GOOD TIMES.

It took for-friggin-ever to level too. I was the 2nd or 3rd Druid to hit 50 on bristlebane and I feel like I had some astronomical amount of /played time. Like a couple weeks of in game time.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

EdEddnEddy posted:

Jeeze, while harse, that actually sounds sort of more "rewarding" when things all come together...

Also while having 40+ fight a single boss sounds pretty cool actually, (What other games have it like that over the current instanced style for single groups now? Besides EVE)

And how the hell did that work back in the early days of 56K/DSL/ISDN/Cable Bastard in a low pop neighborhood?

Isn't Everquest still played? Or is it only a shadow of its former self?

Can't say I know anything about it now. I stopped after the velious expansion. That was before instancing existed. And, if you would agro a mob it would chase you until you zoned, and Aggro all its buddies along the way. Nothing like zoning into a dungeon just in time to see someone yelling "train to zone!!!" And then running you over with 40 mobs.

If that didn't happen, you would have to find a spawn spot to camp in a dungeon. The specials that dropped loot had a random chance of spawning in place of a placeholder. Spawn times were long and if a dungeon was heavily camped you would literally sit at one spawn all night waiting the 20 minutes in between spawns hoping the next pop would be the named one.

Raiding was rough too. Just imagine having to herd cats and get 40 people online at the same time and organized. I was part of one of the top guilds in eq and it would still take over an hour to get started. People would be late or zoned out somewhere far away. Raids would start at 7 or 8pm and go 6-8 hours.

Now that i reflect on it, I have no idea how i had the patience for it.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Since war accommodations are going away, what will take their place for PvP currency? Will there even be new PvP gear at level 70?

It appears pvp gear, much like the multiplayer aspect of this game, is going away completely and not coming back.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Medullah posted:

I haven't seen it in action, but I can only assume it's an homage to the temper tantrum of the millenium.

I can only assume you are referring to this whole election cycle.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
So I'm thinking about playing some SWTOR again after I get an ultrawide monitor this week. Been in a Star Wars mood. I haven't played since I got annoyed at that first kotfe or whatever expansion of kill those robot nights over and over again in long hallway and watch cutscene.

But I think I want to get back to my sith jugg and/or maybe start a marauder again. What's the current cost to transfer servers? Also, I was space rich when I quit but in guessing I'll be space poor now with inflation? I was sitting around 50 mil credits at the time.

How hard is it going to be to get geared up to a respectable level again?

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
Are sents/maras good now? When I stopped playing they had fallen out of favor since males dps was pretty hamstrung in pve ops compared to my gunslinger. Always liked my sentinel though.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
Neat. If I ever play this again all of my characters will finally be on the goon server. Pot5 -> ebon hawk -> covenant I guess?

Of course I was space rich during kotfe so I'm probably space poor now after inflation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Not everyone. I felt the story took a nosedive with Knights of the Fallen Empire, which is what's keeping me away and from reading the official forums I get the feeling I'm not alone. I got into TOR because of the places and ways it departed from traditional Star Wars ideas and storytelling - the light side Sith Warrior, the dark side Smuggler, the Imperial Agent in general.

I think it's a shame what became of the game.

How could you be disappointed by running down a hallway with no doors and fighting random packs of unavoidable trash mobs and then watching a cutscene?!

• Locked thread