Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Sombrerotron posted:

Have you ever read the Mass Effect 3 thread? I have. God help me, I have.

Congratulations. That thread is amazing, especially the parts where an unsuspecting new player narrates their journey through the game and gets to the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm gone 5 minutes and Senya not only gets captured but also tells a clearly-evil android all about my super weapon project. "Luckily" it wants to "help".

Now on my way to meet a man who tried to kill me the last time we met. Alone. Because he asked (not even nicely).

T7 you're the only one I can trust.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

HiveCommander posted:

I logged back in after a looong time to about 9k cartel coins, what hypercrate(s) have the coolest double-bladed sabers?

I want a pike.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Aleth posted:

If only there was a Halloween costume contest with the first prize being a pike being run right now.

Not everyone plays on whatever server the goon one is.

Or plays dressup.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

KittyEmpress posted:

Bioware, everyone has been complaining about how choices don't actually matter in your game. So you showcase what should be a huge decision, and how your choice doesn't matter because IT IS YOUR DESTINY.

Yeah, there's far too many "but thou must" non-choices for my tastes at the moment, especially when the characters offering the "choice" are spouting demonstrably untrue nonsense to support their positions.

Darth Marr saying Arcann has power because he has rid himself of all sentiment... when the last dozen cutscenes at the throne have all been about Arcann's sentiment for various family members.

The dialogue option to tell them to shove it doesn't do a drat thing. I'm pretty sure I was on the way to a really big, war-changing mission before these diversions. But Lana said I had to ask the Emperor for advice the silly girl.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
No option to kill Satele? That emperor dreamscape thing earlier suggested I should have the option.

But no, I have to bow to the whims of everyone I come across.

The Havok squad mission was good, this is absolute garbage.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't understand why someone would write a story about destiny in a subscription-based game with player choices, and have the only apparent way to fight that dumb destiny be to stop playing the game altogether.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 5, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SgtSteel91 posted:

@sassassin

Are you at Chapter 12?

If so, imagine playing that chapter as a non-force user

I can't imagine it. Do they make you walk around the big jumping sections (or do other classes have jetpacks?)

If Arcann wasn't trying to freeze me in carbonite I'd be on board with his side at this point.

My only problem with Vaylin is the game won't let me [Flirt] with her (or her fake ghost).

Anyone standing against the Emperor is okay in my book (which puts Senya and Lana and Koth on the other side based on recent actions).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Aleth posted:

Because the plot demanded it. She still voices her concern about the emperor at every other opportunity.

It didn't demand it at all.

Usually the Emperor is perfectly capable of butting in when he's not wanted, no need to seek him out.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SgtSteel91 posted:

I was speaking more about the part in Ch 12 where you build a new lightsaber for your force-user characters. It's so obvious that part was for force users that when you do it as a non-force character, it becomes hilarious when the Grandmasters of the Light and Dark Sides of the Force are helping you build a gun to shoot Arcann, like it's some Romeo +Juliet "Dagger" Pistol.

I still don't know why Lana's like "hey maybe you should talk to the Emperor" in that chapter. Especially in, like, Chapter 3 where if you tell her about the Emperor, then save her with his power in the next Chapter; she straight up tells you later she's worried about the cost you're paying by doing that.

Is is important to use that hideous lightsaber/gun they make you build?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I think it gave me two buffs to use during the easy but confusing Arcann fight.

Finished KOTFE

Did Senya do anything positive for the alliance the whole time? The biggest contribution I can remember is defending the ship on Asylum, and even then all she did was duel her daughter (her obsession) and wussed out of finishing the job.

Otherwise she was constantly high and mighty while leading the player into pointless traps (the Scions, some bar-room brawl) and whose idea was it to go see a "Lady of Sorrows" (I know she blabbed all our plans in my game but that's because I left her idiot self behind)?

I'm really annoyed my character hosed up shooting down her ship. Sent him to stand in a corner to think about what he's done.

As my lack of posting suggests I got pretty into the last few chapters. No venting needed.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
How do I get a chocobo?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
My favourite part of KOTFE is when it set up a dramatic rescue mission only to send us on an unrelated mission with Mandalorians instead, and then everyone turned up home safe and sound somehow until I banished the Havok squad guy because I was frustrated at not being able to do the same to people who actually deserved it (Senya, Scorpio). Stay safe, bro.

Second favourite is the heist mission where everything goes right for the first time in the history of heists. No twists, no drama, even when there wasn't a plan everything goes fine..

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Medullah posted:

It's a MMORPG, it's already simplistic as hell. This isn't a console game. :)

PC games can be interesting, too. Don't let Nintendo brainwash you.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Losing cover on the operative I just started sounds lame and boring.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Medullah posted:

The only time cover was genuinely useful was in PvP, and even then you didn't have the portable cover screen so you had to rely on finding natural cover. And even then, it really was only useful as a healer so you wouldn't get leapt to.

The 30m overload shot + knockback is more than a fair trade.

I don't know about any of that, but rolling into cover at the start of a fight is fun.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The basic attack should be more powerful for every class imo. With the lightsaber classes it has some of the most varied and contextual animation in the game, but it's relatively useless as an action. Seems like a waste.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Proud Christian Mom posted:

hey i dunno how to break this to you but if people arent coming to play this game despite it being Star Wars then they sure as hell aren't going to either because you want to just press A a bunch between cut scenes.

What?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Is it just me or does the quality of the Imperial Agent storyline take a nosedive when you hit Tatooine & Alderan?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Some people like the feeling of accomplishment they get from doing the maths and figuring out the answers to questions the game itself doesn't bother answering re: which buttons are worth pushing.

Some get a similar feeling from reading the answers online.

Lots of game developers still take strange pride in their ability to needlessly obfuscate what could be simple game mechanics. The company I work with is terrible for it. Overall though the trend in game design is towards good communication and streamlined interactivity.

edit: I can't figure Kaliyo out. One minute she disapproves of me flirting with another woman, the next she disapproves of me turning down a chance to jump the bones of a married cougar.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 8, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Imperial Agent

This mind-control thing feels like it's going to do nothing but make the whole double/triple-agent story less interesting/complex than it could have been.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Well the mind control is kind of the only reason why you would turn triple agent against the Empire, surely? You're an Empire loyalist, spying on the Republic, but then the Empire does some skeevy poo poo to you and you want out.

Isn't it the SIS that's mind-controlling me?

Or am I an Agent
Helping the enemy (double)
But only joking (triple)
Except not joking??? (quadruple)

MadDogMike posted:

Not at all, it just throws a loop into the process that has to be considered. You still get a chance to turn on folks, it just makes it so your betrayal can't come except at one point (and who you betray and how is still up to you to a rather surprising degree).

I'm not saying it's an unnecessary simplification of proceedings, just that it's a downer to have such an obvious leash applied immediately.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
That said it's not come up much since, so maybe it's not as limiting as it first sounded.

I miss the parts where my agent would change accents.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

prefect posted:

You don't want this answered yet. Keep playing.

My original assumption doesn't really make much sense in context so it's hardly going to come as a massive surprise.

It's a bit odd (and true to form) for this mind-control thing to be introduced and then on the very next mission your handler outright says "Yeah, I won't use it", rendering the whole thing pointless and needlessly elaborate.

I'm midway through Taris and there's functionally no reason for mind-control to be have been introduced yet. It's designed to stop me rebelling when at this stage priority number one is to endear myself to these people, in my role as sextuple agent. Save the mind-control mumbo-jumbo for when betrayal is something I would actually consider, please.

Less time feeling like a powerless puppet the better.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
He's crazy.

He knows too much.

Yeah, let's get him on the ship instead of putting a bullet in his head, that sounds great. Worst undercover mission ever.

God drat the companions in the game are almost all unlikable poo poo.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Twelve Elves posted:

Agent gets saddled with some really unfortunate choices early on. It gets way better later, but yeah Kaliyo and Vector are both really bad.

Having companions around really clashes with pretty much everything that has happened in chapter two so far. Everyone is in don't trust anyone mode but you're carting a few randoms into every secret rendezvous Vector being the most trustworthy, and he's literally part of a weird alien hive-mind.

Bit annoying having to dismiss companions every transition for *immersion*, but no one said being a secret agent would be easy,

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Twelve Elves posted:

You could always buy a droid from the AH.

gently caress, couldn't I have just summoned that ship droid?

edit: Not that droids can be trusted either tbh.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Nov 11, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Aleth posted:

I always thought Kaliyo was fun.

Her entire character history is that she's "fun" until she gets bored and will betray you.

Common sense suggests she's a) not a good fit for classified covert operations and b) better suited for the airlock.

She also seems to have a lot of contact with command outside your knowledge, which is problematic for a number of plot-related reasons. It makes little sense for her to be invited on board in the first place (does she contribute anything essential or even meaningful on Hutta?), and far, far less to keep her there.

I don't even [Flirt] with her any more.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I quite liked her in KOTFE because I didn't know her before that.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
What was the motivation for killing Quinn? Isn't he an unobjectionable loyal officer-type?

From the stories I've played I would have banished/killed:

Kaliyo, Lokin, Qyzen, Zenith, Scourge, Gault, Pierce, Broonmark, anything HK

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't remember that but also don't remember how far I got in that story.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

sassassin posted:

What was the motivation for killing Quinn? Isn't he an unobjectionable loyal officer-type?

From the stories I've played I would have banished/killed:

Kaliyo, Lokin, Qyzen, Zenith, Scourge, Gault, Pierce, Broonmark, anything HK

Temple

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Aleth posted:

I'm sure they felt the same about you, you terrible person.

I'm a very good person who only wants to kill named characters with backstories. Generic grunts are almost entirely safe (droids not included).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Some people are playing through the game now.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Tharan is creepy but harmless and definitely talented enough to be useful. Worth keeping around.

Lokin spends the whole first planet lying to the agent, all the while acting like a good friend. It's hard not to resent that same routine on the ship afterwards.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

cams posted:

So, the way the 200% xp boost works is that everyone just has permanent rested basically?

edit: i think this is wrong now. trying to figure out how much xp i am missing out on, total, as a non-sub

An irrelevant amount. Rushing through the story without a subscription still leaves you well ahead of the curve.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If Sith Warrior had stealth it would be near perfect.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Aleth posted:

Subtlety is not the Warrior's strong point.

Maybe not your warrior.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Level 45 and I've just figured out my Operative is supposed to be stabbing not shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Imperial Agent

How many of the people should I recognise in the recording that takes out the watchers? Kolovish is the "retired" matriarch of the Pilgrims on Tython. Shuuru is one of the Rift Alliance leaders (I think I made him leader on my consular...)

At Voss, the best planet. The tea house stuff is neat.

• Locked thread