Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Asimo posted:

*I know when I play a Star Wars game I totally want to run a moisture farm or dance on a table for hours!

ahem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I'm kind of curious how the DvL thing will work out for light sided imp characters. Like they say as the scales tip one way or another for each side jedi/sith are supposed to show up and attack areas in the game. So like, you're a light side Sith Warrior are you suddenly fighting alongside jedi on Dromund Kaas against imperial npcs or what?

In general I think it all sounds fine, that just sounds possibly a bit weird.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Well being a Light leaning Warrior doesn't mean you still don't serve the Empire.

Now an Agent who defects would have a case of "my immersion :qq:" so you just RP that sometimes you do what you have to do to maintain cover. Although there too just because you serve the Republic doesn't mean you serve the Jedi.

Yeah, whatever it turns out to be I'll be fine with it even if some characters it seems strange. My thing when I first heard of it was that it would be something like KOTET would be about a civil war breaking out in Zakuul between Vailyn/SCORPIO and Senya/Arcann and so everyone would kind of pick a side to fight for.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Yeah, for squares.

*fishes pack of smokes labeled AGENT STORYLINE out of jacket pocket and offers you one*

This is what all the cool kids are doing, though.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

KittyEmpress posted:

Edit: Actually, I find the whole 'good story, dumb companions - bad story, good companions' thing to be pretty true for the whole game. Imperial Agent gets some boring loving companions barring SCORPIO, but is a good story. Sith Inquisitor is a terrible story, but their companions are fun. Sith Warrior only has two companions I remember [Jaesa and Vette] so I dunno what that says about them.

Agent comps are the best because they are all gaming out how to murder you which is how things should be, since you're an MMO player.

edit: Except for Vector. Maybe his fate for you is worse than death, depending.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Yeah, its not even really a close call.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Medullah posted:

Yeah total time invested getting a character to 65, doing SoR and KOTFE is going to be about 10-15 hours depending on how often you space bar through stuff.

The flashpoints are all solo or tactical version. If you do the SoR prelude and all of SoR that's 6 of the required flashpoints right there. When you get to doing tacticals for the event, you can queue for specific ones.

Yeah, I knocked out like seven during prime time last night in just a couple of hours by filtering to the non-solo ones I needed and they mostly went with out a hitch but I got pretty lucky with random groups until the last one I needed, Manaan (which has a solo but I'd been on such a roll I hoped I'd get it done quicker with a group and was...wrong and just went back and soloed it in ten minutes of blitzing it.)

Is there any tips for round 6 of eternal arena? I have Kaliyo at influence 50 on my lethality operative, and the first five rounds were a breeze but 6 was pretty tricky. Set on healer Kaliyo couldnt keep me and herself healed up long enough while the three bosses clumped on top of us, and on Tank I managed to do a bit better but still died before taking down the last boss.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I liked whenever they had those bronze/silver/gold armor/weapon/etc packs at the start of 4.0. At least then you could kind of price into what you wanted and if you already had it you could just turn around and sell it.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I'm curious, after all the fuss, how many people were actually using those? Not that I'm saying it's good for them to go away, just I've always been subbed when I've been playing the game so I don't really have a frame of reference of what its like trying to do endgame stuff while preferred or hell, even f2p (seems like more trouble than worth for just $15/mo.)

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Yeah, I'd be curious how many madmen were actually playing the game as truly f2p, the restrictions were pretty limited (though, given how streamlined and, much to the dismay of reddit i guess, easier the story game has been made not as much an issue) you'd have to be a real like insanely misguided dedicated person to be doing endgame stuff at a legit level as just f2p instead of just spending 15 bucks one month.

Preferred is another bag, but I don't know all the details.

edit: though i checked reddit today before the uprising livestream and my favorite one was the first, which was more or less "is this the livestream for multiplayer content? or the one for four player uprising content?"

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I wish I had millions but I can't help buying outfits to unlock.

Of which I am up to 150.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

The old dailies like CZ- and Black Hole are still pretty decent money, usually 80-100k+ without the weekly mission payout and you can blow through them in like 10-15 minutes once you get it down. Not sure how good Oricron still is, that always took longer from what I remember.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

sassassin posted:

KOTFE is weird. Structurally it's just very strange.

Like the one small public map in the eternal swamp. Everything else is private and then for two minutes you see a couple of other players around stealing nodes... Why there? Why then? Strange.

I will say this is one thing that never made sense to me about Zakuul segments is its all very cinematic and instanced and then when you're in the swamp or the city you see everyone running around with your companion you have out at the moment in tow. Maybe they planned on dailies, or something? It doesn't really mesh with most of the other KOTFE content and it doesn't serve any purpose at all. Having redone KOTFE recently it wasn't as jarring at launch when there would be dozens of other players in your instance right when it released but still.

quote:

i don't know if I don't like it yet, but all this trash isn't a point in its favour. Let me stealth ffs, you put this feature in the game in the first place.

It's a bit annoying in some chapters but it's not like clearing three skytroopers takes more than like twenty seconds.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

prefect posted:

I'll admit it doesn't make sense, but I've always enjoyed getting to see that I'm not the only person playing the game. I tell myself it's a concession to the idea that you're playing something MMOish.

I mean yeah it makes sense on the old vanilla worlds with world bosses and heroics and stuff but on Zakuul like there really isn't any reason at all. Especially since Zakuul missions you can only use companions assigned to you so you can't customize at all, either with the old comp customize system or their gear. So you port in and (at least at launch) find yourself running around the swamps with a bunch of other people with identical senyas for what purpose? Its not used for anything else, heroics, dailies, etc. Its not like I'm teaming up with random players and their Senyas to tackle the story missions in the swamps. During KOTFE launch they just pulled me out of the story and also we had to compete over objectives.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

This is the first I've heard of anyone really not liking Lana so I guess Bioware must be doing something right.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

KittyEmpress posted:

Sass, if you didn't do Shadow of Revan/Ziost then yeah, you do not know why the Emperor is something that needs to be killed. He is literally a ghost vampire that ate billions of civilians and killed all life on a planet to funnel his immortality, and planned to do so to everything in the main (non-Zakuul) galaxy, inorder to become truly immortal and Unkillable by any force I'm existence. He created the Sith Empire specifically so it'd create atrocities, because every death in the galaxy made him live longer (thus his name, the Immortal Emperor)

Arcann is following in his steps.

I don't think the kids are too on the up and up about what dad was up to. If I remember right much like the Dark Council, Valk's family doesn't know why he goes silent for long stretches of time, and I'm pretty sure don't know how he became immortal either. Arcann just wants to rule the whole galaxy as emperor, as Valk says in some fashion he has "jealousy, not ambition". Dad hosed him up and he killed his own brother, who he also blames on dad. I don't think Arcann or Vailyn or any of Zakuul really know about Vitiate planning on just sucking up the whole galaxy once he's bored.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Dark Juno posted:

Thought this might be the appropriate thread to post this.

I like this game, and I like 5.0.

agreed friend

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

sassassin posted:

Not everyone plays on whatever server the goon one is.

Or plays dressup.

Dressing up is the entire game, friend.

And I'm not just saying that because I am now up to 162 sets unlocked. Think I'm running out of cheap stuff to buy at this rate.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Really need to get one of those hats.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

quote:

Toxic Haze: New ability for all Operatives. Execute your Tactical Advantage to drop a canister at your feet which will do persistent AoE damage for 6 seconds. The Medicine Discipline will be able to use this ability from up to 30 meters away.

Not sure how I feel about finally getting a potentially useful AoE attack but it requires tac advantage.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Oh I missed that:

quote:

Mobile Strategies: Exfiltrate grants a charge of Mobile Strategies, reducing the energy cost of your next Overload Shot by 100%, allowing it to be used at 30m, and making it knock the target back. Each use of Overload Shot consumes a charge of Mobile Strategies and grants 10 energy.

Hell yeah, I wonder how many charges you can bank.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I'm okay with rolling more abilities into each other because many just exist to basically trigger a proc in the actual ability I want to use and some classes you have multiple abilities that individually do little to nothing but eventually proc something you actually want to do and I'd prefer each ability kind of feeling more purposeful at the end.

That being said most of the classes its more once you are immensely familiar with the game the rotations arent as complicated as you expect. Like with operative I basically have five or six actual attacks I use 98% of the time and then five or six defensive abilities i use 98% of the time and then exfiltrate for moving around. I think that dozen and slightly more abilities could probably be reduced down to say ten and it wouldnt change the game so much while making the learning curve for players to pick up the nuance of each class easier. But something like only three or five abilities would require dramatically changing up each class and how the game would play.

edit: 5.0 removing base classes and just letting you pick advanced classes while removing the superfluous abilities each advanced class had as carry overs from the base class is a good step forward I think

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 8, 2016

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Give every class roll to cover, I always thought. It'd only be useful really for most fights for snipers but why not. Not like jedi knights dont know how to duck behind a crate.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Kaliyo is not really meant to be figured out. She's kind of nuts.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Twelve Elves posted:

Agent gets saddled with some really unfortunate choices early on. It gets way better later, but yeah Kaliyo and Vector are both really bad.

actually they are good because they are all so crazy

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Depending how contracts were structured the VA strike right now might have played a big part of it as they had no issue bringing back quite a bit of people for KOTFE, though the lion share of companions that came back only occurred after Chapter IX of KOTFE also.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

So is early access still one for tomorrow?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Ah, that must be where I had seen 27th before. Thanks.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

but i want everything now!

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Anyone else have all their DvL achievements wiped clean? Just logged in and I was up to Eternal and now I'm at 0%

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Medullah posted:

Servers are actually up on time? There's a first.

That should be fixed soon, I assume enough people will complain that we'll get emergency patch #1 tomorrow

Yeah I figured it's just some patch weirdness. I still have my message in my mailbox saying "Grats on hitting eternal!!" so I'm not too worried.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Finished it last night. I liked it a whole lot.

Though for the end I'm kind of like uhhh what's left? Really feeling the vibe that this was sort of the "end" of SWTOR story wise as most of the threads are tied up and all that really remains is the whole mess of companions that haven't returned yet.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

So I have fully aug'd out 208 PVP set gear on my operative and I'm wondering at what point should I start replacing that? GC has been...underwhelming a bit so far up to GC12 with no set pieces at all dropped, but I do have a bunch of blue and greens at 210-230 I'm sitting on. I'm guessing the 210 stuff isn't really an upgrade from what I have, but what about 230 stuff? If I remember right pre-5.0 non set 220s weren't considered that much of an improvement over the PVP set since they didn't have bonuses.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Really enjoying the lethality op changes in PVP so far. Currently been trying out the new utilities and liking the one that turns overload shot in to a knockback shot with extended range and counter measures heals you + drops two kotlo probes on you at once. Also the new noxious gas AoE is pretty useful for shutting down an objective for a short time and the replacement for carbine burst actually reliably hits people so I can spread dots. Overall feeling a lot more sturdy and damaging so far.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Currently I'm kind of mum on the whole DvL thing because I A) after finishing KOTET mostly just idle in Odessan waiting on pvp/uprising queues so i have no idea what any changes in overland zones are like due to it like world bosses and B) dont really have a read on what my individual actions have an effect like I'm doing pvp and "fighting for the darkside" but that doesn't really translate into anything measureable for the DvL meter and 3) I've been dark side aligned the whole time and yet somehow I have 16 light side tokens and no dark side ones

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Late KOTET spoilers:

Telltale Games: You must choose!
Me: I caaaaaaaaan't :smith:
KOTET: You must ch-
Me: Kill Torian.

Yeah. Yup. Pretty much.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Strudel Man posted:

Just finished off chapter 1 of imperial agent - can you actually join up with Darth Jadus? Seems like it would be rather transformative, even if he tells you right afterward to stay on in Intelligence.

I mean, the whole problem with the MMO thing is a lack of any meaningful world impact even when the cutscenes indicate that there should be, but even so, it'd be a pretty extreme case.

Without spoiling anything there's up to six different endings to Imperial Agent story, all the other classes basically are LS or DS ending.

(this is why people consider IA the best class story)

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Promethium posted:

I thought the expansion fit the Imperial Agent pretty well, there are plenty of callbacks to SCORPIO's history and to Sith brainwashing techniques that you can remark on.

Much of the "chosen one" talk is ambiguous in whether it's truly a prophecy or if it's Valkorian needing you to believe it; it's easy enough to interpret either way. The PC does come up with two relatively clever ideas near the end which gives some agency in the story. (They don't require the player to do anything special though, which made me feel the setup would have worked better in an adventure game where you'd have to find the answer yourself.)

My personal take is there was never really anything going on that you were a "chosen one" Valkorian saw fitting to replace him: especially in KOTET this becomes clear as he talks about how Valkorian the actual person was just someone he hollowed out to take the place of because he seemed the best candidate for the job. When Arcann betrayed him and you "killed" him in Chapter 1 of KOTFE you just happened to be the best candidate in the room for him to possess to eventually retake the throne as a new "Valkorian" that he would hollow out yet again. Now there's a few ways I do think Bioware kind of fell short on this, namely, the whole dynamic of whether you accept Valkorians powers or not during KOTFE. This was perceived to be a big deal in KOTFE at launch cause no one knew what was going to happen, but in the end it turned out to be kind of meaningless besides some dialogue changes. It always came down to basically a LS/DS choice, if you refused to take his powers nothing would happen, if you let him take over you'd get some cutscene of you doing crazy force moves but kill a bunch of no-name innocent civilians/weird everyone out. That could have been handled better.

edit: In the end I had no problem with doing KOTFE/KOTET as an agent, at least. SCORPIO is a big part of the storyline so there's some threads there that make it work more than other classes. One way KOTFE fell short though is it often was just you standing up against these super powerful force users, which never really was sold well (or in most of SWTOR for that matter) if you were a non-force user. KOTET kind of did a better job that most of these encounters you usually have a few other force users backing you up for any of these kind of encounters iirc.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 20, 2016

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

sassassin posted:

Getting murdered wasn't part of his plan.

Yeah. All his talk about how you're the greatest, none compare to you, it's all horse poo poo and you're just the backup plan he came up with last second after Arcann betrayed him and you got a sucker punch in. You're a useful vessel that he can hollow out and replace with no one the wiser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Alter Ego posted:

You are somehow worse than the guy who trolled the thread complaining about the Tracer Missile animation.

I actually liked that guy.

• Locked thread