Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

So I got this game when it first came out, got the pre order special edition and everything after playing the early access beta and all (it was a lot of fun at first glance) then it came out and I played a bit more with a friend, until they played more than me and leveled past me making grouping up pretty much just annoying/useless to them and we all sort of lost interested (them having I guess no EndGame stuff, and me getting busy with other stuff and having to solo grind before it looks like they made that easier to do).

If a trailer can get me interested again, and now looks like a good a time as any to get back into the game for a bit, (was going to do that Amazon starter kit), should I just delete my old chars and roll a new one or so to do the LvD stuff as well as run through the story.

And with the LvD stuff (that XP armor sounds great) do I have enough time to casually grind the requirements for that out while going through a characters story, or should I focus on getting all that done as fast as possible, then go back through the story another time only after I have said armor?

Have been hankering to get into an MMO again for reasons I cannot understand (I don't really have a lot of free time, energy, etc, but I just... Want to?) and outside of the work EVE takes to get into, TOR seems like the best bet with the expansion coming up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Hmm. Sounds fun for the most part. So the armor you just trade to each character after you get it all as you level each one? Whats the time requirement about to get the armor in the first place on the first char? And like I mentioned, is there any reason to keep my old legacy char around ( think it was at like 40 or something) for any reason?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well looks like I will have to give it an honest go this weekend.

Are we all on 1 server or are Goons spread out a lot? might as well join the Guilds for both sides for group play whenever.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Got to Lvl 21 after like 4 hrs of play total this weekend.

I think it took me like a month to get to Lvl 12 on my highest old char lol.

It really is just a cakewalk through the storyline stuff, but so far it is a lot more fun then having to grind every single quest and mob as you go.

I was putting off picking my Focus as a Trooper and Finally went Commando which opened up a bunch of abilities that I was leaving on the table. Might do a Vanguard on a future roll but it didn't appeal to me as much as big guns did.

Also What are the three Crafting skills I should pick up? There is a minor writeup in the Op, but I am still confused on what exactly they offer (and only 1 can be the actual Crafting skill?)

Oh and also, all the in game Mail items I have in my Mailbox comes to each new character I create correct? They aren't tied to a single character one they are redeemed? (Stuff like Anniversary gifts and the Pre-Order/Collectors Edition stuff?)

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Medullah posted:

I posted this the other day -

Realistically if you plan on doing any endgame stuff you'll want one of the following -

Biochem - Make yourself Stims (must have), Medpacs (Nice to have), Adrenals (you don't need these unless you're doing serious endgame).

Synthweaving - Makes some of the most useful augments - Critical and Alacrity. Also can make the actual Augmentation Kits to add augment slots to your gear.

Armstech - Makes Power augments and Augmentation kits

Armormech - Makes Shield and Absorb augments and augmentation kits

Now, if you don't plan on endgaming Artifice is a good choice for money - you are the only craft that can make dyes, and some of the color crystals you can make sell for a decent amount (but most of the high value ones are only obtainable by reverse engineering an old raid weapon).

If you don't plan on doing "serious" endgaming or crafting you might want to just go with Scavenging, Bioanalysis and Slicing. That way you can sell the mats you get on the GTN and slice open credit lockboxes along the route while you're playing.

Correct.

Crap, I need to look over the last 5 pages better, Knew I read this earlier.

Thanks I'll take a wack at it. I would like to do some Endgame stuff, but not sure if it will be this character or another one. (though I feel this one wouldn't be a bad DPS one in the long run.)

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Cythereal posted:

If you're romancing Iresso or Nadia when Qyzen gives you the wookiee pelt, he suggests it as an engagement present. If you're romancing Nadia, you can politely turn him down because you don't think Nadia is the kind of woman who appreciates a wookiee pelt. Qyzen sighs and goes "Women, am I right?"

I know Bioware is big on their Romancing Simulators, but there is Romancing in TOR?

Also what happens if you throw your companion under the bus in a dialog choice? I saw that last night as I was talking to the Senate and while my first guy was a hardass at the start, I couldn't do that even to a MMO npc, but I am curious. Just Influence drop or would he just go Screw You and leave forever?

Also I had bit of a LOL in my first Flashpoint, I got the superbot companion killed and I have no idea how. I thought that thing was supposed to be nigh invulnerable for Solo Flashpoints?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea I wasn't worried about him staying around or not, but I feel it had something to do with me pulling a bit more of a mob then I could handle at the time, and Jorgan was stuck behind some wall doing nothing. Gotta love AI pathfinding sometime.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

What was it about Everquest? I never played it but heard stories. Was it just one of the first MMO's that everyone got addicted to before they found out that Raiding was crap? Or because I don't know, I will never know?

My first "MMO" Was Motor City Online followed by Free Shard playing UO at the time. MCO was a ton of fun until they killed it, and UP got better/worse depending on the Shard you were on, but I never could figure out if there was a Quest system or was everything just free roam to do what you want and kill whatever looked mean. :/ I was bad at MMO's back then, possibly I can blame it on being stuck on Dialup until like 2003.

On the new changes possibly coming, is the RNG not able to take into account what Gear you already have and just drop parts that you don't already have? Or is that too Common Sense for MMO devs and they want you to grind for grind sake, and when you melt down a part its only worth like 1/4 of the part you actually need, (or the same part if you were to recreate it for whatever reason.)?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Jeeze, while harse, that actually sounds sort of more "rewarding" when things all come together...

Also while having 40+ fight a single boss sounds pretty cool actually, (What other games have it like that over the current instanced style for single groups now? Besides EVE)

And how the hell did that work back in the early days of 56K/DSL/ISDN/Cable Bastard in a low pop neighborhood?

Isn't Everquest still played? Or is it only a shadow of its former self?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

prefect posted:

Those are the planetary story quests. They're not mandatory, but they do get locked off once you start KOTFE. You can do them any time up until them. Other than that, they're not really special, except that they link together to form a chain story.

So outside of the pink/purple stuff for the main story, once you start KOTFE, can you come back and play whatever gold colored quest is left at any time?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ok so I am a little lost. Slowly going up the DvL quest stuff but I am still not 50 and drat is finding time to play hard.

Firstly, Lana, Koth, Trooper has the Best Companion? What characters are you guys talking about? Outside of Kera are there other companions you get post vanilla that you guys are talking about mostly and I just haven't gotten that far yet?

Secondly, to get the complete XP armor for DvL I would have to get to CHAMPION level for the complete set. +40% would probably be Ok, but could I make it to CHAMPION on 1 (or do I need to do it on both) characters before the 29th if I only can get in like 6 hrs a drat week? It just looks like there are a crapload of chapters to play + a lot of flashpoints, I am still not done with the main Trooper quest yet (just got to Alderaan on the start of that next 2 part quest arc). Having fun, but stressing a little as I just want to get the perks that will make the QoL better post DvL in the longrun then focus on things like crafting and imagining having more than 100K in my characters pocket at any one time. I fail at MMO money making both here and EVE and hell, RL in a way. :(

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Hmm. I wish I had a few 500K items to sell then. Friggin broke just buying a few Legacy perks last night to Level 3.

I fail at MMO money making.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Decided to take a screenshot of a low :effort: costume of a single shade of Reading Rainbow with a bit of Republic Justice Prime assistance.

It is by pure chance I got matching green boots and cloak.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I am on the Trooper Story quest arc (still!?) and off to Hoth to get my final recruitment till I can go after the Gauntlet thing.

How much longer is this darn quest arc until I can start blitzing through the rest of the requirements to get to I believe champion level in the DvL Event? I have to still start and do a Darkside character as well and will need to blitz through it to get anywhere near complete before the 29th.

I now know I need to stay away from any other Story Arc stuff that the game throws at me and just do them over with an Alt later, They take up Waaaaay too much time to just do the same sort of "Help me by destroying these 4 things, followed by get into this place to free X person, then please help up take control of this weapon, only to pick the light side option and destroy whatever it was and move on with our lives.

Ugh

Interesting, but the amount of travel involved needlessly (can't we just use our cellholos for everything dammit?) makes it too much of a time sink.

Also is there a way to warp to all the Flashpoints I need now or later in game to play them solo? Or do you have to travel to them wherever they are to get to them and do them for the DvL event as well? I still am soo lost in so many areas of this game. Grr

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I am still not 65 or anywhere near done with my alliance character to even think about finishing it by the 29th.

Whats the fastest to level Imperial character if I tack on a bunch of the XP bonus things and whatever armor I may be getting from DvL like stage 2.

I fail at MMO's, because as an adult, time is at a freaking premium. :negative:

Does the 200% XP bonus thing end on the 29th as well? If that happens then I will probably give the game up totally once again even before my sub expires because I just don't have time to grind old school MMO style, like, ever it seems.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Man I thought I had/would have had more time to finish this DvL stuff but man, time flies by and my time is in too much demand with family/friends/etc. I should be able to finish the KOTFE chapter 9 tonight (made it 1-7 last night) to finish Valiant Level, but I think there is no chance I can finish Champion level as I still have about 1/2 the flashpoints to do, and getting my SW to 65 (at like 20 right now) and the PVP stuff. Just not enough time and I have a hard time spacebaring through the Trooper stuff as well as have to run here and there for friggin everything.

So far realllly enjoying the story parts of KOTFE though. So much better than the Class Story stuff right off the bat. Bette graphics, voice, humor, etc.

Outside of missing Republic Prime and Jorgan, it really is a step up so far.

So I will have what, 40% XP boost armor total from getting to Valiant Level in the DvL bit, or can I complete part of the Champion level requirements and still get, some stuff? *oh crap, Eternal Level is required for the companion! What do I have to do to get to 65 in one evening once I get the last bits of my KOTFE done on my light side char? (And can I solo that 10 level Champion challenge req?)

And if that 200% XP boost ends tomorrow that is going to be a dickpunch to future playthroughs. Really that should have been permanent so the grind part of the MMO is pretty much nullified for those with jobs/family/etc. I know the XP boosters + armor will help some, but what I am guessing is 65% isn't 200% when all is said and done, so slow is going to be a bit slower.

Really wish I had gotten into the game earlier though. This has been a neat event and I would have probably shot for Legendary.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I wouldn't mind seeing it again and doing it from the start date rather then a month before ending.

Would also be cool if they had a sort of cooldown where the event ends, so you can finish up say up to the eternal level if you have already completed like 75% of it. So you can't start if you haven't already, but if you have, you have a little extra time to complete it before everything officially gets wiped out.

A guy can dream. :(

(Now I can with actual sleep vs the rush to finish )

^Though it will drive me nuts only having 40% of the 50% armor. :argh:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Fuzz posted:

If KotET has as many trash bullshit spawns and inordinately and unnecessarily long slogs through them for stupid mundane bullshit tasks as KotFE did, it can gently caress off. It was even more obnoxious than anything in the default stories or Hutt/SoR. Last night while trying to speed through as much of KotFE as possible to try to get Champion it was downright miserable getting through all those Heralds of Zildrag and stupid loving elevators and trams... The team that designed Chapter 7 should seriously be waterboarded with cold diarrhea and urine. :argh:

Truth right here. The whole story was awesome and seemed to fly through the early chapters with little bits in between story cutscenes which I was ok with, then you had to go miles away to look for water, followed by all those drat Skytrooper blockades just slowing your progress from this end to that, and the fun wore off a bit.

It's like they thought, "Oh crap, the chapters are too short. How do we make them longer? I Got it! More Skytroopers and Zildrag!"

I have been learning how to play this game all over again with this event, so if I had actually played more before it or something, I might have been able to properly blitz through it rather than waste time doing things that are the normal noob method of quest, story, etc. Hell even last night with some of you guys doing Heroics rather than just doing Flashpoints instead to tackle two birds with 1 stone but eh, live and learn. Now I can learn the new stuff from the patch, and go back and figure out how the hell crafting works in this game or something, and pick a class for my SW maybe. :v:

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Dely Apple posted:

:smith: :hf: :smith:

Oh god it's been going since June, how'd I only find out near the end

My internet went out too during the Heroics I was running with goons. Thank god for LTE Tethering. (Even more puzzling, the Lag seemed to be better on Sprint LTE vs my Microwave Wan... wtf?)

It seems lately the internet or power at my place is on a hair trigger for the smallest breeze or raindrops anywhere within 10nm.

• Locked thread