Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

prefect posted:

I don't know if I've seen the droid get killed, but it's definitely gotten knocked off the platform in the Shae Vizsla flashpoint.

There's still a bug where he'll disappear mid fight if you level up. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

RentACop posted:

Speaking of which, are they adding more characters to smooch this expansion -he said ironically but not really

No details but yeah, I'm sure there will be a fair amount added during the KOTET storyline. Plus the Shae Vizla and DvL companions.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Captain Oblivious posted:

I wonder how she reacts if you start a relationship with her in KOTEE but specifically did not in the main game.

I don't know that you can. I believe the only romances you can begin in KOTFE are Lana and Theron.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

...and the voice of a thousand raiders never coming back to the game cried out.

quote:

Hey folks,

One of the things we talked a bit about on the stream is that there are gearing changes happening with Knights of the Eternal Throne. This thread is meant to give you a few more details on some of the things that will be happening in KOTET, along with being a place that I can address questions or concerns you have with these changes. First, here are the details on how gearing will work at level 70:

*Once you hit level 70, the source of end-game gear will be Command Crates from Galactic Command.
*Most activities in the game will earn Command Experience Points (CXP), which will earn you Command Ranks. Each time your Command Rank increases, you earn a Command Crate.
*The higher your Command Rank, the better gear that will drop from your Command Crates.
*The highest difficulty Operations and Uprisings, along with Ranked Warzones are intended to be the fastest ways to earn CXP. This means they are the fastest way to get the best gear.
*Both PvP and PvE gear will come from Command Crates. Their gear is now shared as Expertise is being removed (head to this thread to discuss PvP/PvE itemization specifically).
*Gear will no longer drop from bosses as all gear will come from Command Crates. All cosmetic/unique drops will still remain on those bosses (Stronghold Decorations, Wings of the Architect, etc.).
*Players will be able to craft comparable item level gear without set bonuses.

That should cover most of the basic changes coming to itemization in KOTET. [/list]
I know this is a lot to take in, so please ask any questions you may have in this thread and I will work to answer what I can!

Medullah fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 17, 2016

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hulk Smash! posted:

Maybe it's because I don't raid but that doesn't seem that different than now. It's still random what you get and raids are still the fastest way to the good stuff. My understanding is that no one that's serious about raiding really buys anything with comms so those going away is not a big deal and crafted gear is still sub-par.

But it's going back to a 1.0 like RNG based system. You get a box with a random piece of gear based on your Advanced Class - so you could get two set piece belts. Anyone who remembers warzone Champion gearing can tell you how awful it was.

And if what the thread is saying is true, no more getting a piece of gear on one alt (like an unassembled piece) and transferring it to an alt, since the gear is advanced class based.

I guess it will depend on how fast you level galactic command and how often you get rewards for it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

madstrike posted:

Hey, made an account for this and start a jedi knight character on Jedi Covenant. Never played this before ... but all these talk about being able to solo a lot of the game is appealing since i'm a bit tired of grouping with random morons in WOW for the last 2-3 years.

Anyway, do i need to reach some specific level to be able to join a (goon) guild? When i go to the guild screen, i only see 3 panels with the "benefits" of joining a guild and nothing else :s

(I bought the Amazon bundle so i'm not on a F2P account, i think)

Advantages of joining a guild - bonus to XP, bonus to Reputation (like faction in EQ), and having people to talk to.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

prefect posted:

Generally, getting to level 3 requires more experience and time than getting to level 2 did. Is that curve also going to exist for these command ranks? :ohdear:

Yep, from the looks of it.

Official blog on "Galactic Command"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

And to add to it, Galactic Command is a subscriber only feature, so they are REALLY pushing F2P/Preferred = Story only, Subscribe if you want to do ANY endgame or PvP.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

All praise be unto RNGesus! Ugh...sounds like the Heroic boxes kicked up a notch to me.

On one hand getting rid of Bolster (since Bioware is really, really bad at math) is good on the other hand earning gear for one aspect of the game to use in another tends to be really bad design. I'd rather poke my eyes out with forks than run through the same NiM Ops for another year and I don't really want to have to do Ranked to optimize a char I plan on just casually playing in regs.

Hopefully I get something nice for my 400k WZ comms though.

Yeah I can dig the general concept of this as being a nice way for people to gear up in methods other than raiding - however, this completely discourages alts. Currently, I have a ton of characters of all specs, and when I play I'll rotate between them and often pug with different characters, and any gear drops go toward gearing out an alt. Now, I'll have to play each individual Advanced Class (I'm assuming the mods will still be able to be legacy bound so I can share sniper/gunslinger gear) in order to gear them up. Which will lead to a lot of waiting around in Operations because normally I can just say "Well, we're down a healer, I'll swap to my merc and roll on tokens for my Sniper".

I'll reserve some judgment until the numbers come out (conversion rates of current crystals and warzone comms), along with a general idea of how bad the RNG game is going to be...but I see this as being a pretty big turn off for long time players who just don't feel like grinding the same crap over and over again for another year.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

dreffen posted:

Slim to no chance at all of being able to complete all of the DvL stuff before it ends if you start now, right?

As long as you're willing to devote the time to do it, you should be able to hit Legendary within the time frame. The only X-Factor is whether or not they're running Rakghoul event and Gree event again before 11/29.

If you're trying to go all the way I'd recommend your "main" DvL toon be a tank as the hardest part is going to be hitting all the Hard Mode flashpoints, and as a tank you'll always be in demand.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Captain Oblivious posted:

I don't care about Legendary in the slightest, but what would I have to do to get the Light side armor set in this image?

http://cdn-www.swtor.com/sites/all/files/en/na/20160623_DvLRewardBlog/Weapon-Tuning.gif

The guides I've been looking at haven't been super clear.

Not 100% sure which armor set that is but it doesn't look like either of the rewards from the DvL event.

I'm on my phone so I can't get a real good look but I think that's just a cartel set so you can buy it from the GTN. The saber effect is a tuning mod.

You can get a bunch of random items in the crates you get as rewards from the event but the only guaranteed items are in the link i posted before. A few mounts, a pet, and two sets of armor. And the companion, or course.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

dreffen posted:

When is the earliest level you can do Gree stuff?

e: nm can just look that stuff up

50 technically, but I suspect if you're low level you can group with some higher level friends and mooch credit for kills off them.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

phosdex posted:

It just seems so stupid to have this Galactic Command leveling be the primary source of gear. If it was a bonus thing like the DvL boxes that would be ok. I quit and come back to this game every once again and I've always really wanted to love it but Bioware has consistently made such dumb moves.

I'm really put off by it right now, but in all fairness we don't know some of the details. Things I'm anxious to find out -

- Are the RNG gear drops at least tied to your spec?
- If you get a duplicate item and disintegrate it, how much GXP does that grant you?
- Is there going to be ANY way to transfer GC boxes to alts
- Will there be any way other than praying to the RNG Gods to get a piece? The last time they had this was with Champion PvP gear, where you randomly got a piece but after a certain time you accumulated tokens that allowed you to buy pieces you didn't get

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Y'know, I was a bit miffed at the gearing changes, but now I love it. The salty goodness on Reddit and the official forums is just delicious.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

What was it about Everquest? I never played it but heard stories. Was it just one of the first MMO's that everyone got addicted to before they found out that Raiding was crap? Or because I don't know, I will never know?

My first "MMO" Was Motor City Online followed by Free Shard playing UO at the time. MCO was a ton of fun until they killed it, and UP got better/worse depending on the Shard you were on, but I never could figure out if there was a Quest system or was everything just free roam to do what you want and kill whatever looked mean. :/ I was bad at MMO's back then, possibly I can blame it on being stuck on Dialup until like 2003.

On the new changes possibly coming, is the RNG not able to take into account what Gear you already have and just drop parts that you don't already have? Or is that too Common Sense for MMO devs and they want you to grind for grind sake, and when you melt down a part its only worth like 1/4 of the part you actually need, (or the same part if you were to recreate it for whatever reason.)?

First question - EverQuest raiding was a beast. In the earliest days, there was no such thing as "raid groups" so you had groups of 6 working together to take out major kills - like 40+ people. So, you clear your way to the dragon, and you happen to die. Every time you die, you lose XP AND you reappear wherever you were "bound" which could be an HOUR away, and have to make it back to your corpse completely naked. Most of the time a cleric could ressurect you which would bring you right back to your corpse and restore some of the lost XP - assuming your entire raid group didn't die. If they did, then it sometimes took hours to get everyone back to where they could make another attempt at the boss. And hey, if you were raiding in Plane of Fear at level 47, and you died and lost a level going down to 46, you couldn't even go back in to get your corpse!

So the boss is dead, now whichever group happened to get the killing blow is the one that was able to loot the boss - and you had to trust that they were being honest with what gear the boss dropped, because in the early days, it didn't even tell you what was looted. GOOD TIMES.

To answer your second question, the reason people are so sour about this new gear system is yes, there is a very good chance you can get a duplicate piece of armor, and there's ALSO a good chance that you'll get a piece of armor that isn't for your discipline. Example - you are a Juggernaut tank, and need 1 more piece to complete your set bonus. Even if it's just armor in the box (not taking into account relics and implants), you have just as good a chance of rolling that tank armor piece you need as you do as getting a DPS set piece. GOOD TIMES.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

prefect posted:

Will War Hero color crystals turn into Hawkeye or Eviscerating versions?

They are becoming Mastery crystals.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

prefect posted:

Here's a question I keep forgetting to ask: does anyone ever use Indestructible crystals? Should tanks use them, or is that only needed when you're a raider?

Tanks will generally use them. Though there's some benefit in using power or Crit to hold threat easier but it's 82 of whatever stat you pick so it's largely negligible.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

That's why I played on Rallos Zek! You camp that item for 20 hours, me and my friends will kill you and take it from you in 20 seconds!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Waffles Inc. posted:

Has anyone summoned the fortitude to finish KOTFE on multiple characters? It seems incredibly daunting since it's essentially the same story

With the power of the space bar it's not terrible. I did it 4 times to get Legendary rewards on 4 servers. The worst chapter to repeat is the Marr/Satele chapter because I always miss lighting one of the stupid fires and can never remember where they all are.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

prefect posted:

I need to start piling up money before this is widely known; war hero crystals are some of the cheapest on the GTN, and some colors I don't have are available that way.

I wouldn't splurge too much. Most people don't augment Mastery anymore so Power/Crit will still be the crystals of choice for DPS/Heals.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

prefect posted:

Yeah, but if I want to run around with a red-black crystal, this is the only way I'm going to get one. :D

If you don't want a cartel version I can make you a power one. :)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Percelus posted:

the only reason i feel tempted to return to this game is because of how awesome powertech is at tanking, but then i remember they dont release group content so gently caress it :jerry:

I suspect the Uprisings will see quite a bit of activity up front. Then trickle down.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Binary Sunset...pretty much the pinnacle by which all other original soundtracks are judged.

Also Focus does good early AoE but Vigilance surpasses it at 58 with Vigilant Thrust.

I know Vengeance and Vigilance is better but dammit if Rage doesn't just FEEL more powerful.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

nessin posted:

So I just completed Chapter 16 on a DvL character so I could get the, eventual, companion. Has there been any word if we'll need to have it completed to start the next series on a character, because I'd rather take my Bounty Hunter through it when it comes out but I'm not thrilled about repeating all that over again on him.

My assumption is you'll be able to start KOTET at 65 just as you can start KOTFE at 60 with no prior story played. You'll also be getting a "Start at 65" character who has KOTFE "completed" already.

I'm sure you know, but you have to do at least through Eternal level to get the companion. That means (at minimum) leveling a second character through 65 (though if you already did SoR and KOTFE you can do it however you feel like).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

neurotic posted:

has it been confirmed that we won't be able to progress any DvL achievements once the event is over? Basically what I'm asking is if I start a bunch of new characters during the event, can I complete the level 50 achievements after the event is over (but the characters were still created during the event, and so will have the DvL flag set) to complete the final tier?

Yes, the event is over when it ends.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

neurotic posted:

Right, a vague answer to a specific question doesn't really help but thanks for the reply.

It's not meant to be vague. DvL is an event, not a permanent addition to the game. It has a set end date, so the achievements for completing goals during the event must be achieved during the event.

It's the same with every event. They may bring it back again sometime, but the event must be going.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

neurotic posted:

But it isn't the same with every event. During Bounty Contract Week, bounties exist that don't exist otherwise. During the Rhakghoul event, an area that doesn't normally exist in the game is turned on. The DvL achievements state things like this: "Defeat 50 Gree Droids with any character created during the Dark vs Light event." See the difference?

And comparing it to the Rakghoul event, even if you carry the plague over to the next week, it's no longer contagious and you can't gain the achievement.

I suppose it's always a possibility but I can't see them deviating from the norm as far as events go.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

madstrike posted:

Ah, dulfy! Forgot he/she had a SWToR section. Nice.

No one reads my incredibly detailed OPs. Boooooo hoooooo

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

See, everyone bitching was mostly unwarranted. Reddit has been hilarious with post after post of "gently caress you Bioware, I'm cancelling my sub after this TERRIBLE decision you made!". It's just like level sync which everyone complained about for a month and ended up being fine.

The only thing I was concerned about was tanks getting DPS gear and vice versa. That's been addressed. Bring on Galactic Command.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

If you hadn't done it some other loser would've so stop milking it!

They just need to fix the lvl ranges on the starter and capital planets. They said there will be tiers of gear right? As you go up in Command lvls or whatever the gear gets better?

Yeah it supposedly is three tiers of gear. I think it's good, it sounds like it'll be just grindy enough for me to not go crazy with my alts but not so bad I can't work on a few toons.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I like it...it's just a little strange that ToR has spent the last 4 years getting more and more alt friendly only to suddenly reverse.

At least it gets rid of trap commendation gear which was a waste of time for everyone. Wonder what they're going to do about the sub-65 Supply vendors? If it was me I'd just have story missions reward blue lockboxes like Heroics.

The mod vendors will still be there, selling green mods for credits. But of course Heroics will continue to be the best gear.

I'm just excited to not have to repeatedly tell people not to waste their common crystals on level 65 poo poo gear every other page. Should drive up the price of my hoarded grade 6 companion gifts too.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nerd Of Prey posted:

1. The special DvL flag will be deleted from all those characters so they will effectively stop being special DvL characters.

I hope they don't delete the flag. I need it as a badge of shame for my "It's too loving hot out I'm staying inside all summer" disaster of a year. :D

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Berke Negri posted:

I'm kind of curious how the DvL thing will work out for light sided imp characters. Like they say as the scales tip one way or another for each side jedi/sith are supposed to show up and attack areas in the game. So like, you're a light side Sith Warrior are you suddenly fighting alongside jedi on Dromund Kaas against imperial npcs or what?

In general I think it all sounds fine, that just sounds possibly a bit weird.

From the dev stream yesterday it sounds like it's not a true "Dark vs. Light" event - you pick a side to "fight" for and the Galactic Command XP you earn goes toward that side - light side/dark side choices are still LS/DS but the points you gain for doing dailies/ops/etc are going to be what decides it in the long run. So really, yeah, you'll be fighting whatever pops up.

If the special bosses drop phat lewtz it'll be like Everquest all over again "Honey, I just got a text, boss is up, I need to log on!"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

madstrike posted:

The rest of MMOs still haven't reached the excellence that is the GuildWars2 guild system. Account is linked to the Guild, be on how many guilds you want, select to 'represent' one at a time whenever you want.

Yeah that's pretty cool. I think there would actually be a lot of opposition to a legacy wide guild invite/friends list - Being that this game is so alt friendly, I think there are a lot of people who are in multiple guilds (I know of at least one of our former raiders who split their time between two), and it's kind of nice to be able to do that.

Luckily they raised the guild caps to 1,000 so it's easier to have as many alts as needed without me needing to purge inactives every other month. :)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Adeptus posted:

I'm thinking of playing this again, looks like it's changed a loooot since I last logged on.

How's the ping from EU to the Jedi Covenant server? Many people online at EU friendly times? I'm not looking to raid or anything like that, but it'd be nice to have a reasonably talkative guild chat to make it feel a bit less single-player.

Also, how do character transfers work regarding legacy? If I have a bunch of characters from the same legacy on one server and transfer one character across to another server, do I basically get the perks on both?

Yeah, when you transfer over you transfer your legacy so any perks you previously unlocked carry over. At that point it becomes two separate ones though, so anything additional unlocked is only on the server you unlock it on.

Goon guilds are pretty quiet at all hours right now, the pre expansion 1-2 months are generally pretty rough - but it's a good time to come back if you want to level, with the 200% XP until KOTET launches you're gonna have a good time. :)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Aleth posted:

The only reason he does the OP is so he can get his referral code in it.

Hey now, can't be said that I don't earn that right with my question answering. :D

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

M_Sinistrari posted:

And I probably clicked it at some point too.

The SWTOR forums are still bewailing the upcoming changes like it's a sign of the Apocalypse. I'm finding it amusing that for how the forums there have considered the f2p/preferred crowd as a worthless bunch of entitled freeloaders who are the reason the credit sellers have a market in game, now they're all whining about these changes will effect the f2p/preferreds from being able to raid. My favorite complaint so far is still the "But...but....end game gear has to come from downing a raid boss or it has no meaning" one.

It's the same sky is falling that Level Sync had last year. Everyone blowing up and threatening to sue.

Personally, the more I think about it, the better I like it. Forces you to play a character to gear them up a bit, and gives you a ton of options. The RNG is a bit crappy but it's really not that different if you're not in a raiding guild - I can't tell you how many unassembled bracers, offhands and gloves I have spread amongst my characters but hardly any helmets or chestpieces to complete sets.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Also, on a side note, I'll probably be on tonight later drinking if anyone needs to do any DvL stuff like Hard Modes or ERP.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dely Apple posted:

I don't even know what I'd replay for a DvL guy. Some force who is a king dick for fun maybe, I don't know. I've done SI twice so not that.

It really doesn't matter. With 200% XP you're barely playing the toon. Eternal level is still very achievable. Just level using Heroics, PvP and flashpoints and you'll be able to do SoR and KOTFE for the event within a few hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

KittyEmpress posted:

So you say dont use data crystal gear, but what should I use now fresh 65? I still have unmodded dvl gear on my Knight.

Just hop in a Story Mode pug raid, get gear from that. Fill your slots with 190 crystal gear (60 for a full set compared to ~900 for 208 gear). Bolster will bump your stats.

Or get PvP gear - that's your best bet.

• Locked thread