Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

I was cutting edge in WoW up through WotLK but quit the week after downing LK and haven't logged in since. Haven't tried FF14, the FF brand is a negative for me and I'm told the PvP is garbage.

I can run the NiM Ops in my sleep but the PvP is still great. I've also enjoyed the direction the game has been going these last 8 months as well.

The bottom line though is the Star Wars license guarantees ToR a niche. WoW may dominate ToR but Star Wars is THE franchise.

That's why I still play here and there (and actually the only reason I started given that I swore off MMORPGs after an EverQuest addiction). I stay subbed because $40 every three months is really nothing if I get one or two nights a month of fun.

I'm just saying everyone doomsaying the game, well, the landscapes changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

We haven't raided regularly in 3 years now. Sometimes we'll get a spark of interest and 3-4 people will show up regularly, but that never lasts long and no one ever wants to do anything difficult

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Internet friend of mine made a tracker to track the items you have unlocked in collections

quote:

Hey Everyone,
Today I am releasing a new tool on swtordata.com . A brand new collection manager to make it easier to track your collection if you don't want to use the in game collections. Also adding some enhancements to the existing inventory system.
You can get to the new collection manager here: https://swtordata.com/collection_manager
It can also be found on the home page, or in the new "tools" dropdown.

Collection Manager
A couple friends of mine asked me if it would be possible to create a better way to track collections out of the game. They liked to collect armor, mounts, etc but they didn’t know what character they would go on, they did not want to use the in game collection and have to later pay CC to get it on the character they wanted. Previously they were using spreadsheets, which was far from ideal.
So I decided to make a Collection Manager on the website to make this easier for them. The collection manager allows you to mark a collection as complete, having individual items, also add notes to help you in the future.
The structure is similar to the collection in game(data mined the categories), including giving you a complete percent for each category.
Since this is powered by datamined content, it will always be up to date with the latest patch.

Public Collection
If you want to show off you collection, you can easily do that with the collection manager. You can choose to make your collection public, which I’ll give you a special URL you can share with friends. Right now however there is not a list of shared collections.
This is just the first version of what I plan for being able to share your collection. Right now people with the link can only see the top categories and the percent complete. But I plan on giving you more options to customize the page so, if you choose, your friends can dig deeper into your collection.
Here is my collection as an example

Inventory
Very early in the SWTORData life I added a basic inventory management to the site. Since adding it, is have not done any updates to that feature.
Today I have completely rebuild the inventory from the ground up. I did this to be able to use your inventory to also manage your collection. Because of this, the legacy inventory system is still there but you can no longer add to it.
With the new system you add inventory to a character instead of just your account. This way when you view your inventory, you know exactly where that item is.
This also brings in 2 benefits:
when you add an item to your inventory, if it is part of a collection it will automatically mark that piece has being had in the relevant collection. If you add all of the items from a collection, it will automatically be marked as complete.
When you are viewing information about your collection, it will show you which characters have that item.
You can manage the new inventory on an item page (it still works with items that are not part of a collection) and in the new collection tracker.

Fan sites
As I have mentioned in my most recent posts, one of my major efforts right now is helping with content discovery in our community. We have a lot of people creating great fan site content, but it is not always easy to find.
The collection manager continues these efforts. When you are viewing a collection in the manager, you see links to relevant posts on sites like Tor-fashion allowing you to easily get more information about that set. This is in addition to the existing links that are already on an individual items page.
This is a fully automated system that uses the existing referral link system, just with some new additional logic to show only what is relevant. Anyone can be part of this, so if you run a site that would be a benefit please contact me.

The UI
There is a lot going on in this UI. I personally feel like the ‘modal’ (the pop up when you click a collection) may be too busy. There is. Lot pushed into this UI; adding pieces, completing the collection, adding notes, inventory management, and fan site links.
I put a lot of effort into trying to make sure everything fit while working well on desktop and mobile.
However I don’t know if the UI is fully there. So I am looking for as much feedback on this UI as possible. What you like and don’t like. Usability issues, slow UI, etc. While I can think about how I would use the design (or the people who helped me text this), I can’t know for sure how everyone would use it. So feedback on how you actually use this feature can help with how I can move things around.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Non-Entity, you still around? Is anyone still around?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

no one here but us jawas

Indiana Jawa and the Jawa of Doom

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

can't we talk about class stories instead

Have you seen my train stronghold though

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Percelus posted:

blizz the jawa is the highlight of the bounty hunter class story SWTOR, discuss

Fixed.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Promethium posted:

I would like to see this, pictures?

I don't actually have it because they capped you at 6 Strongholds and I bought Manaan.

But here's what it looks like. If you played the new flashpoint, you saw it.

https://youtu.be/bRHCd6IY27Y

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Still here. Getting massive amounts of schadenfreude from people on the official forums who neither do NiM Ops or Ranked crying about 5% dps/hps normilizations.

Yeah my current pastime is riling those people up. Along with yelling at people who complain about how terrible Galactic Command is that they don't need gear for anything but hard mode raiding and then your gear comes from raiding.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

nonentity posted:

Yes I am here what is it that you want

Can you make me a cool Rancor that is like a robot but with a Rancor hologram.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

New cantina code for a free mount.

NYCANTINA17

Korrealis Viceroy

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm pretty excited about Server Merges. I play with some people on Shadowlands so it'll be nice to only have one group.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah honestly I think they should have just merged all US servers. Although it'll be interesting to see if all the East Coast players on Harbinger start coming back.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Wait I missed cross server. Really?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Here. It kind of sounds like it...or they could be talking about the merging of existing servers. Rereading it it sounds like the latter.

Oh yeah I read that as merging the servers into one new one.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Kimsemus posted:

If goons are active I'll choose goons. Which side?

Goons are most active on Jedi Covenant. But "most active" means 1-2 on at a time, so don't rely on us for server choice. Hop in Discord and chat us up a bit.

I'm hoping the merges will bring some people back.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

M_Sinistrari posted:

Has anyone checked the SWTOR forums yet over possibly losing thier character names yet?

There's a lot of butthurt about it. The way they're doing it this time is a bit different, since everyone is being moved off their server they are taking age of the character and amount of time played into account.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Chickenwalker posted:

How is anyone looking at this as a positive when it clearly means the game is getting ready to "go live on a farm?" It's old, it's tired, it's dying, nobody loves it anymore. I know some of the devs are with us here but the direction the game is going in honestly feels like they're putting a pillow on its face out of mercy.

It's definitely well past its expiry for a game that probably doesn't turn much of a profit and has a history of landing like a wet fart. Seems like an impossible situation having basically been put in wind-down mode business and resources wise yet still having to keep people entertained.

The game has been like this since 2014. Knights of the Fallen Empire drove the people who wanted a MMORPG away as it focused on story. I really wish I could see the numbers, because I have a feeling that it was way more successful than a lot of people think it was BECAUSE it was essentially a single player game.

I genuinely think their business model has been focused on short term subs - people log on, play the new story, dink around a bit and then unsubscribe. Server merges have been needed for YEARS if the game has any hope of retaining any people that do want to play the MMO content. They're taking a huge chance by not releasing an official expansion this year, especially with The Last Jedi there to boost interest in Star Wars anything. Instead the new producer is delivering some actual multiplayer content - GSF map, PvP map, a couple new Flashpoints, and slowly releasing an Operation a boss at a time (which is going much slower than it should, but at least they're doing it).

Putting everyone on mega servers will give the people asking for them a chance to vote with their wallets - if they don't see the subs come back for the new multi-player content, I suspect they'll move back to story content.

I think 3.0 was really a giant test for raiders. It was the last "traditional" expansion the game has had. Ravagers and ToS are the two hardest Operations, and I would be willing to wager a large sum of money that very few people touched the Hard Mode versions, and that the numbers showed that more people ran alts through the SoR story mode. They even gave you the option at the end of the expansion to end with a raid, or end with a solo option. If that isn't a poll of what players want to do in game than I don't know what is. :)

I don't think the game is in maintenance mode, we'll see small bits of new content for a while, but it's never going to be a major MMORPG that people grind away at two nights a week doing Nightmare raids. It's still my go to "I'm drunk and it's too early to go to bed so maybe I'll just do some PvP" game, which is easily worth the sub.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Not everyone. I felt the story took a nosedive with Knights of the Fallen Empire, which is what's keeping me away and from reading the official forums I get the feeling I'm not alone. I got into TOR because of the places and ways it departed from traditional Star Wars ideas and storytelling - the light side Sith Warrior, the dark side Smuggler, the Imperial Agent in general.

I think it's a shame what became of the game.

Yeah I liked it but didn't love it. Definitely didn't enjoy it enough to do it more than once. But I suspect that the majority of players liked it, and the numbers more than likely support it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Chickenwalker posted:

I don't need to be right here so don't take this as argument, but how is a server merge an infrastructure spend? They don't have the numbers anymore so they are downsizing the infrastructure by putting everyone on fewer servers in fewer regions.

There's been a bunch of server crashes over the last 6 months. In the road map discussion they brought up that they invested a fair amount of money on beefier machines. It stands to reason that if they were truly going into maintenance mode, they wouldn't upgrade their hardware.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

OhFunny posted:

I'll hop on and give this another whirl once the servers merge.

Should be nice. They're giving rewards for playing between 11/8 and 11/28, including Darth Hexid, the Dark Side companion that lost the DvL event last year.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

So...something for the few goons that still play to think about for the next month or so -

That's No Goon has been effectively a dead guild for the last few years. With the server merges coming, I'm wondering if we should -

a) Try and recruit non-goons to our guild and build it up.
b) Find another better established guild to merge with
c) Leave it as is, knowing it's primarily just a place to park your characters.

The primary reason for TNG over the last few years has been to have a place to chat with Goons while you're playing - but lately there hasn't even been that much chat. And with Discord going, we'll always have a place to talk.

Any goons in active guilds on Ebon Hawk or Shadowlands?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Aleth posted:

And here was I thinking TNG membership was solely for access to the tastefully decorated ship and, more recently, underwater karaoke bar.

Which sadly our members RARELY take advantage of.

And don't forget our suicidal Bantha on Manaan.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

M_Sinistrari posted:

That might actually work since first sexy Skadge pic I saw I was a little surprised you guys didn't do a multiple sexy Skadges together.

Hmmmm we could do a pre-server merge contest. It would be harder for people who don't have him as a companion, but still possible - they'd have to preview a Skadge customization and then preview the outfit they want, but hey, maybe it'd work. Whaddya think Aleth?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

Crafting sure has changed. Is it still mostly useless? I think after they sucked the life out of it I switched most of my characters to gathering.

Crafting has gotten significantly easier, with a simplified reverse engineering process that removes a lot of the risk of losing the item you're reverse engineering. Ultimately it's really just a good idea to have a crafter of each type to create your own supplies.

Other than that Biochem is the go to skill to have again since there are reusable Stims, Adrenals and Medpacs at 70 again.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The robot in Story Mode Flashpoints is all roles simultaneously, he tanks, heals and does massive DPS. Your probably just didn't notice he was healing you. :).

When you do those you should put your companion on DPS since Jesus Bot is a HP sponge

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

M_Sinistrari posted:

It's even more insane when you end up with two Jesusbots. I was running a story flashpoint with my fiance and I guess we both clicked solo out of habit and we ended up with two of them. It was practically walk along and loot with maybe firing off a blaster or throwing some lightning just to feel like we weren't a burden on the bots.

Yeah when Shadow of Revan launched a group of 4 of us goons found we could run the solo mode Flashpoints together. Imagine 4 players and 4 Jesus bots. The dual bosses in Battle of Rishi barely moved before they were dead.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hey DrunkenGarbageCan, you're pretty deep into the numbers game for SWTOR - I'm putting together some data to show that F2P people don't need to worry about getting 246 grade gear because I'm sick of people saying that solo players need top tier gear too.

I captured some stats for my Gunslinger in poo poo gear and in ~243 gear. I really just want to say -

"In a perfect world, wearing this gear which has these stats, your average damage over 100 hits will be this because your Critical % is X, Critical modifier is Y, etc etc"

Is there a nice simple formula I can plug those numbers in for an excel equation because I have nothing better to do when working?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

And hey, if you want to do easy gifs, I reccommend using Screen to GIF, if you want to give that screenshot a little something "extra".

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

Are warzones dead? I had a mission to do one and I've been queued up whenever I'm on and one never pops.

Pretty much for sub level 70, yeah. They might pick up after server merges, but overall leveling is so fast not too many people bother with warzones. Which is a shame because sub 70 PvP can be really fun.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Not sure what your asking here or trying to prove. I guess you could figure the base value of the basic attack and go from there? If you're talking full rotations there are way to many variables I'd say.

Yeah I might be overthinking it. I've just gotten into arguments on the interwebz with people about gearing. Especially on Reddit, where people constantly ask "What is the best way to grind CXP solo? I don't want to raid or PvP", and when people such as myself say "Then you don't need to grind CXP, your stats only matter in Hard Mode raiding or higher, and Ranked PvP. Get enough CXP to get your 230 set bonus and that's more than enough for dailies and flashpoints." "Look, some people just want the best gear possible!" I'm just trying to show people how much of an enormous waste of time it is to grind Galactic Command - the stats between a character in 230 set pieces with 228 everything else are marginally different than BiS 242+ when on a level synced planet or bolstered area.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Okay? But you're still seriously wrong.

hobbesmaster posted:

But how many shiny new ones are from raids? Defeating a NM raid when current gave you a title in this game previously but that requires you to have high end raid content....

This is the point. The game really doesn't have a lot of rewards for just playing the game. It would be nice if they added something to chase after that wasn't cartel based. More rare spawns like the CZ-198 Desler.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Malek posted:

Oh I'm not addicted to it an I moved on years ago to other games like Divinity Original Sin 2 and I'm waiting for Wheelchair Nazi shooting simulator. I like the game for what it is but it's like playing KOTOR1/2 for years and never stopping. Gross.

Just wanted to confirm I wasn't missing anything

Well without knowing how much of the story you've done, tough to say you've missed anything. Did you do all 8 class storylines? All planetary arcs on both imperial and Republic factions? Both Makeb storylines? Shadow of Revan? KOTFE and KOTET? Iokath and Umbara? All the old mini areas like CZ-198, Oricon and Section X?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

If you're true F2P or it's been years since you played, they're giving away the first two expansions for a few weeks. F2P people will get a level cap raise to 60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

TIME FOR A NEW THREAD TO CELEBRATE SERVER MERGES

• Locked thread