Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
(Yeah I know, hardly an original thread title)

Hey all,

Just wondering about what everyone's most memorable and/or proudest moments are, in video games. Not necessarily just things that occurred ingame as part of the actual plot, etc. but other things like humorous glitches and exploits, for example.
Since from the sounds of some of the other threads, there are some pretty funny moments that some of you have witnessed! I can't remember many good ones myself right now, but I'll try to think of some for later on.

-----

I might as well start with the one I most remember, which happened in the hit WW2 sim Silent Hunter 3. I even dug out my old save file to make sure what I remembered about it is accurate, which I'm surprised I actually have still. (Also turns out this also happened back in 2009) So, I hope you like walls of text! :D

So, I was the captain of a Type VIIB U-boat and had just been given the boring assignment of sailing out from my base (located in Saint Nazaire) on the 9th March 1940, to patrol a sector of the western end of the British channel and sink any Allied shipping that I came across. Being the competent sea captain that I am, (well...might be a slight exaggeration) and that I already had six successful patrols under my belt, I completed this assignment promptly, patrolling the designated area for several hours (ingame hours thankfully, not real ones). However I grew tired of the lack of action and decided I would extend my patrol to cover the eastern coast of England, up to around the York coast. Sailing on the surface of course, as otherwise I might run out of battery power in case I need it later on, on a rainy day. Nothing could possibly go wrong.

However I was wrong. At 12:09 on the 10th March 1940 (around the Lincoln/Sheffield coast) the U-boat was spotted and attacked by a group of patrolling Swordfish torpedo bombers. Knowing that my designated gunner was inadequate for the task ahead (as he was a fresh recruit, after the previous one was killed), I manned the twin HMGs myself. Although right as the first Swordfish swooped down to strafe me, the ship gramophone finished playing one of the standard/default tracks and unexpectedly started blaring "In the Navy" by Village People, throughout the ship. (Which was a real contributing-factor in making this a moment I would remember - as I completely wasn't expecting it, and I was unable to turn it off to help focus on the attack, unless I wanted my 'character' to navigate into the captain's quarters and manually turn the gramophone off)
Thankfully none of the many bombs and depth charges dropped hit the U-boat during the attack, although many of them were close; detonating alongside the U-boat, causing it to rock left and right like crazy and spraying water across the deck each time, disrupting my aim further. (Some of the shot-down planes also came close to colliding with the sub, as a few were taken out right as they were diving on us, to gun down the deck crew)
This encounter lasted almost 24 hours, as the last plane was taken out at 12:10 on the 11th March 1940. In total we were attacked by fourteen planes (twelve Swordfish and two MkII Hurricanes. Probably a third in the initial attack, then the rest staggered throughout the rest of the time period), which were all destroyed before being able to take us out or retreat to re-arm.

Confident after this great success, (seeing as even a single plane/bomb can ruin a U-boat's day, but I managed to take on 14) we kept scouting along the coast, until around 03:13 on the 11th when a patrolling C Class destroyer spotted the U-boat and attacked. The destroyer was able to be holed quite quickly and sank (racking up an additional 1375 tonnes for my 'tonnage destroyed' count), however it hit the side of my U-boat with several rounds from their antiaircraft guns, inflicting superficial damage (between 10-15%) on the hull. However at this point I decided I had tested my luck long enough and made a hasty retreat to Saint Nazaire, before the entire Royal Navy came down on me.
After returning, I was awarded with a Knight's Cross. No one was killed or even injured during the mission, and the damage was able to be quickly repaired. The patrol (my seventh, overall) took place between 09 March 1940 - 13 March 1940. I'm still not fully sure how I got out of it without a scratch, since after that patrol, whenever I decided to go toe-to-toe with even 1-2 seaplanes, one would always hit me with its payload, taking a huge chunk of the U-boat with it.

TL;DR: In a WW2 U-boat sim I took out 14 planes and a destroyer, without ever considering using discretion and diving. All to "In the Navy" by Village People, with plenty of explosions all around the U-boat - except no one (aside from the British) was hurt.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the creation of this thread

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Homework Explainer posted:

the creation of this thread

haha, I don't mean to sound rude and ungrateful, but if this thread is your best moment in gaming, you've led a very sad and depressing life, thus far! :D

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Major Isoor posted:

haha, I don't mean to sound rude and ungrateful, but if this thread is your best moment in gaming, you've led a very sad and depressing life, thus far! :D

gently caress.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

my famous story of being cut off while casting a pro quake game because i got drunk on stream and was swearing and abusing the chat

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

trying to jack off posted:

my famous story of being cut off while casting a pro quake game because i got drunk on stream and was swearing and abusing the chat

i wanna hear that story lmao

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

i wanna hear that story lmao

thats pretty much it. they deleted the vod because they were scared of what the sponsors would think which means i never got a copy of the video

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the very first mission I played of Edf

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the time a friend and me sat down for 8 hours and beat all the horde levels on gow2

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Congrats to Major Isoor on his first thread!

A memorable gaming moment I have is when I went to my grandmother's house in the middle of nowhere one week during summer break. My cousin had just gotten Chrono Trigger on his SNES. We alternated playing Chrono Trigger and watching the original Star Wars trilogy, The Adventures of Timmy the Tooth: Spooky Tooth, and Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals on VHS. It's memorable to me because it was my first introduction to Chrono Trigger, which is one of my favorite games of all time. It was also a lot of fun spending time with my cousin.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I haven't seen Legend of the Crystals in forever. I wonder if it's out there in a non-VHS format.

e. it's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU_LfS4ODFs

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

One dangerously hot summer day a friend and I sat down in my basement and played Timesplitters: Future Perfect team deathmatch for the whole day. We racked up over 1000 kills in a single game

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

NickRoweFillea posted:

I haven't seen Legend of the Crystals in forever. I wonder if it's out there in a non-VHS format.

I really wanted to rent this from blockbuster but my mom wouldn't let me.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

One dangerously hot summer day a friend and I sat down in my basement and played Timesplitters: Future Perfect team deathmatch for the whole day. We racked up over 1000 kills in a single game

Nice!
Thinking about this further, I remember playing games with some friends of mine during our own summer/Christmas break, where we played Age of Empires II all day. I think there were five of us that time. We basically played that single game/match all day (all but one of us prefer "turtling"/building up in RTS games, over rushing.) where we'd all form backroom alliances with one another, planning on betraying everyone eventually ("team victory" was switched off, you see). However I remember that early on I became allies with every other player, and got the market tech that grants line of sight with all allies before anyone else had built a market, so I had full view of the entire map, and nobody realized. :D (Although it was only short-term; I went back to being neutral/enemies with most of the others after getting the tech - but it was a huge boon all the same, since although I couldn't see every unit in real-time, I at least knew where all their buildings are)

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

GorfZaplen posted:

I really wanted to rent this from blockbuster but my mom wouldn't let me.

Now you can watch it on YouTube, no Blockbuster or Movie Gallery required.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

Lmfao.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I conquered the entire British isles in ck2 with the middle aged Irish count I started with before he died. In Ironman mode.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I conquered the entire British isles in ck2 with the middle aged Irish count I started with before he died. In Ironman mode.

Nice! I play too slowly in CK2 to make that much progress that fast, myself. (Does prevent me from burning out a hundred years or so from the end date, though) How old was he in the end? And did he die the day after forming the empire? That normally happens for me whenever I make an empire - followed promptly by a succession crisis :v:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Getting a world record time on Stage 25 of Bonus Remix in NES Remix. lmfao

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Uhh also when I first played WoW in 2006 and traveled from Teldrassil to Dun Morogh to level with my friend.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Don't know if it was the most memorable, but beating my friends 2-on-1 in first to 50 kills Goldeneye multiplayer was pretty sweet.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

that reminds me of me and my friends after school playing 2v2 halo first to 50 and after my team won and i had 49 frags one of my friends got so mad he went home and didnt talk to the rest of us for a week

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

it was awesome because my friend on my team that finished with one frag was talking mad trash

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think I may have been the first person in the world to get an S-rank on Spiral in Pac-Man CE2. I still play the game but people got rally really good at it and I can't really do better than top 20 or top 50 depending on the level, but that release day period I felt unstoppable.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Edit: on expert I meant. S-rank normals came fairly quickly.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
This one time I shot some person in a multiplayer deathmatch and it was SO GOOD.

We won't talk about the five bazillion times I died though. That's not interesting.

Honestly after the N64 died and 4 player split screen went away nothing was worth reporting once that happened. Do you really need to hear "blue shell hosed the lead player in mario cart"?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Major Isoor posted:

lmao

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

Nice! I play too slowly in CK2 to make that much progress that fast, myself. (Does prevent me from burning out a hundred years or so from the end date, though) How old was he in the end? And did he die the day after forming the empire? That normally happens for me whenever I make an empire - followed promptly by a succession crisis :v:

I can't totally remember what happened, but I do remember he had an epic daughter that I jimmied into succession which started a big revolt.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Summer of 2005 getting my wisdom teeth out and staying home for a week to conquer SMT3. Greatest week of all time.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I remember doing that because I was following a tutorial LP and doing the Merchant family part and the LP guy doing feudal poo poo was loving awful, so I started as Ireland to see what I could do with experience and that happened.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

NickRoweFillea posted:

I rented this from blockbuster like 3 times as a kid

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Wormskull posted:

Uhh also when I first played WoW in 2006 and traveled from Teldrassil to Dun Morogh to level with my friend.

A lot of old WoW memories... When I got to level 40 I needed 80 gold to get a mount, so instead of running dungeons or questing further or doing something that probably would have got me that money a lot faster, I decided to spend about a week grinding the repeatable 50 silver shrimp collection quest in the Desolace troll village while watching old Adult Swim cartoon DVDs on a nearby laptop.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

A lot of old WoW memories... When I got to level 40 I needed 80 gold to get a mount, so instead of running dungeons or questing further or doing something that probably would have got me that money a lot faster, I decided to spend about a week grinding the repeatable 50 silver shrimp collection quest in the Desolace troll village while watching old Adult Swim cartoon DVDs on a nearby laptop.

I spent hours skinning monsters for my mount. I still remember how pumped I was when I sold my first stack of light leather on the auction house and finally had 1 gold :-)

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

hitting 96 super jumps in super mario rpg and knowing I would never ever hit 100

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

first time playing total annihilation, using the destro cannon on my commander to 1-shot the enemy commander and blowing both of us (and his whole base) the gently caress up

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

trying to jack off posted:

it was awesome because my friend on my team that finished with one frag was talking mad trash

lol, but also, that would be me too if I actually played Halo when it came (dial-up internet, parents had a mac in the 90s, lol)

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Playing Wind Waker on my 14" crtv that was crammed into a cubby hole on my bunk bed when I was 12 or 13. For some reason I have very vivid memories of the night that I finally beat the game. Ganondorf exclaiming "Give Hyrule to me!" in big bold text as he was reaching for the Triforce really stuck into my mind.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Evil Eagle posted:

Playing Wind Waker on my 14" crtv that was crammed into a cubby hole on my bunk bed when I was 12 or 13. For some reason I have very vivid memories of the night that I finally beat the game. Ganondorf exclaiming "Give Hyrule to me!" in big bold text as he was reaching for the Triforce really stuck into my mind.

playing spyro on a 4" black and white portable tv and thinking holy poo poo these graphics look amazing on here

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

co-oping the entirety of Secret of Mana with the kid who lived next door

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

P-Mack posted:

co-oping the entirety of Secret of Mana with the kid who lived next door

That's a lot of moments.

• Locked thread