Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
(Yeah I know, hardly an original thread title)

Hey all,

Just wondering about what everyone's most memorable and/or proudest moments are, in video games. Not necessarily just things that occurred ingame as part of the actual plot, etc. but other things like humorous glitches and exploits, for example.
Since from the sounds of some of the other threads, there are some pretty funny moments that some of you have witnessed! I can't remember many good ones myself right now, but I'll try to think of some for later on.

-----

I might as well start with the one I most remember, which happened in the hit WW2 sim Silent Hunter 3. I even dug out my old save file to make sure what I remembered about it is accurate, which I'm surprised I actually have still. (Also turns out this also happened back in 2009) So, I hope you like walls of text! :D

So, I was the captain of a Type VIIB U-boat and had just been given the boring assignment of sailing out from my base (located in Saint Nazaire) on the 9th March 1940, to patrol a sector of the western end of the British channel and sink any Allied shipping that I came across. Being the competent sea captain that I am, (well...might be a slight exaggeration) and that I already had six successful patrols under my belt, I completed this assignment promptly, patrolling the designated area for several hours (ingame hours thankfully, not real ones). However I grew tired of the lack of action and decided I would extend my patrol to cover the eastern coast of England, up to around the York coast. Sailing on the surface of course, as otherwise I might run out of battery power in case I need it later on, on a rainy day. Nothing could possibly go wrong.

However I was wrong. At 12:09 on the 10th March 1940 (around the Lincoln/Sheffield coast) the U-boat was spotted and attacked by a group of patrolling Swordfish torpedo bombers. Knowing that my designated gunner was inadequate for the task ahead (as he was a fresh recruit, after the previous one was killed), I manned the twin HMGs myself. Although right as the first Swordfish swooped down to strafe me, the ship gramophone finished playing one of the standard/default tracks and unexpectedly started blaring "In the Navy" by Village People, throughout the ship. (Which was a real contributing-factor in making this a moment I would remember - as I completely wasn't expecting it, and I was unable to turn it off to help focus on the attack, unless I wanted my 'character' to navigate into the captain's quarters and manually turn the gramophone off)
Thankfully none of the many bombs and depth charges dropped hit the U-boat during the attack, although many of them were close; detonating alongside the U-boat, causing it to rock left and right like crazy and spraying water across the deck each time, disrupting my aim further. (Some of the shot-down planes also came close to colliding with the sub, as a few were taken out right as they were diving on us, to gun down the deck crew)
This encounter lasted almost 24 hours, as the last plane was taken out at 12:10 on the 11th March 1940. In total we were attacked by fourteen planes (twelve Swordfish and two MkII Hurricanes. Probably a third in the initial attack, then the rest staggered throughout the rest of the time period), which were all destroyed before being able to take us out or retreat to re-arm.

Confident after this great success, (seeing as even a single plane/bomb can ruin a U-boat's day, but I managed to take on 14) we kept scouting along the coast, until around 03:13 on the 11th when a patrolling C Class destroyer spotted the U-boat and attacked. The destroyer was able to be holed quite quickly and sank (racking up an additional 1375 tonnes for my 'tonnage destroyed' count), however it hit the side of my U-boat with several rounds from their antiaircraft guns, inflicting superficial damage (between 10-15%) on the hull. However at this point I decided I had tested my luck long enough and made a hasty retreat to Saint Nazaire, before the entire Royal Navy came down on me.
After returning, I was awarded with a Knight's Cross. No one was killed or even injured during the mission, and the damage was able to be quickly repaired. The patrol (my seventh, overall) took place between 09 March 1940 - 13 March 1940. I'm still not fully sure how I got out of it without a scratch, since after that patrol, whenever I decided to go toe-to-toe with even 1-2 seaplanes, one would always hit me with its payload, taking a huge chunk of the U-boat with it.

TL;DR: In a WW2 U-boat sim I took out 14 planes and a destroyer, without ever considering using discretion and diving. All to "In the Navy" by Village People, with plenty of explosions all around the U-boat - except no one (aside from the British) was hurt.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Homework Explainer posted:

the creation of this thread

haha, I don't mean to sound rude and ungrateful, but if this thread is your best moment in gaming, you've led a very sad and depressing life, thus far! :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

One dangerously hot summer day a friend and I sat down in my basement and played Timesplitters: Future Perfect team deathmatch for the whole day. We racked up over 1000 kills in a single game

Nice!
Thinking about this further, I remember playing games with some friends of mine during our own summer/Christmas break, where we played Age of Empires II all day. I think there were five of us that time. We basically played that single game/match all day (all but one of us prefer "turtling"/building up in RTS games, over rushing.) where we'd all form backroom alliances with one another, planning on betraying everyone eventually ("team victory" was switched off, you see). However I remember that early on I became allies with every other player, and got the market tech that grants line of sight with all allies before anyone else had built a market, so I had full view of the entire map, and nobody realized. :D (Although it was only short-term; I went back to being neutral/enemies with most of the others after getting the tech - but it was a huge boon all the same, since although I couldn't see every unit in real-time, I at least knew where all their buildings are)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I conquered the entire British isles in ck2 with the middle aged Irish count I started with before he died. In Ironman mode.

Nice! I play too slowly in CK2 to make that much progress that fast, myself. (Does prevent me from burning out a hundred years or so from the end date, though) How old was he in the end? And did he die the day after forming the empire? That normally happens for me whenever I make an empire - followed promptly by a succession crisis :v:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

trying to jack off posted:

the cool style of gbs poster that think its extremely epic to post bad things about games in imp zone

Hey yeah, that guy didn't even complete the compulsory poster assessment, before posting in the IZ! :argh:
(That's almost as bad as writing with a pen without getting your pen license, in primary/elementary school!)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

dromal phrenia posted:

first time playing total annihilation, using the destro cannon on my commander to 1-shot the enemy commander and blowing both of us (and his whole base) the gently caress up

Oh, I had forgotten about TA! I played a heap of 2v2 games of that with friends - I loved playing as the Core and building a heap of Krow 'flying fortresses' (I think they were from the expansion?) and telling them to fly to the other end of the enemy base. By the time they reached the rally point and land, they've completely destroyed the enemy base and army, along with whatever semblance of our friendship remained.
After Krows were banned, myself and my friend would take out one enemy (forcing them to pull back into their ally's base), then walk our commanders into different points of the combined enemy stronghold, purely to detonate our commanders (and hopefully theirs, too) and take out huge chunks of their base, in preparation of a coordinated attack from our main armies.

So many tears were shed that day, and we haven't played TA multiplayer since :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Beating the first half of Pokemon Silver and realizing you can go through the entire Kanto region afterwards

Oh, I had forgotten about that! (Although I had Gold, myself) This was a very happy :aaaaa: moment for me, when I realized I could go through Kanto as well as Johto. What a good game

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Wormskull posted:

Borrowing my cousin's gameboy and pokemon blue and spending hours and hours every night on the toilet so I could pretend I was pooping in case my parents caught me up so late. Then he manufactured a story of me sticking his Yellow cartridge up my rear end,to blame me for causing the brown corrosion on the connectors, and that was the end of that.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

klapman posted:

The first time I ever managed to pull off a huge bank hack in Uplink... my god. There's nothing like the first one. Sitting there wondering if you actually just managed to steal several hundred thousand bucks, if you could have possibly gotten away with it, and then your Uplink rating goes up to Professional - that is Peak Gaming.

Oh, hell yes! It's been years since I last played Uplink. It was so good though, the way everything was set up. Definitely very tense, in the aftermath of a bank hack, wondering if you've actually covered your tracks properly, or if you had been too slow. Such a good game - pity they canned Subversion (I think it was called) before finishing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Unrelated to your post I know, but nice username - the Gravitron was always a good ride, back in the day! (is it still in use anywhere? Haven't seen one in like, ~10 years now that I think about it..)

• Locked thread