Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Reminder that the closed beta starts in two days, so if you want a chance of getting in, here's where you can register: https://forhonor.ubisoft.com/game/en-us/register/

Also, they've put up small fluff videos for each of the hybrid classes:

Lawbringer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XqxKziXvoI

Valkyrie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LogAtInaFAM

Nobushi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFKI7zmNQbg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Got in! I'm hyped to smash dudes. If group functionality is enabled, we should form a goon posse and murder folks.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Throwing people off of cliffs is always fun

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Did anyone get a beta key they'd be willing to share (for PS4)? :v:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oh cool! I got a beta key last night (for the One). I have nothing to do this afternoon, so I guess I'll do that!

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

If anyone needs a key add me on uPlay! (buttburp)

First three get 'em.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I got a key already, and am preloaded.

Can't wait to kick gaijins off a cliff while screaming DEUS VULT.

Side note, if they have tags, I might just put that in as a tag.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Got in the PC beta. I hope is isn't a ghost town like every PC MP game that isn't on Steam. I can't wait to sling some ninjer daggers.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

rap music posted:

First three get 'em.

I'll take you up on that uPlay! name is KhagaN7.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Anybody knows if this game will be Ubisoft retardo region/language locked?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Alright, beta just launched, get on and play. This time around they've given us a selection of nine of the 12 total characters. Those missing are the Lawbringer, Valkyrie, and the Shugoki, also known as the coolest of the bunch.

A little thing that's not immediately obvious: Make sure to finish both the basic and the advanced tutorial (found in the "How to Play" section in the menu). Not only are they pretty useful, but they also give you a few thousand silver (in-game currency) upon completion. That'll allow you to unlock the characters you want, and to pimp them out a bit.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
I played through the tutorial and practice, and then I jumped online and played about 10 matches.

Multiplayer is your opponent just spinning left stick wildly while button mashing and then guard breaking and throwing you into the water, which instantly kills you for some reason. Little to no skill involved despite the system seeming like it's skill based. To clarify, many of the matches I played defensively and tried to watch my opponent and guard to match attacks, but it looked like they were really just spinning left stick and mashing RB/RT to get hits in. I thought you could only guard break if your attack angle matched their guard angle, but that doesn't seem to be the case, as in the middle of their wild swinging they would guard break and stun me, then either keep attacking or throw me into the water.

I'm gonna pass on this one. It's a neat idea, but I have no desire to try to learn the intricacies of a system that can be defeated by smashing the controller with my face. Which is sad, because I was kind of looking forward to this.

Manxome Foe fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 26, 2017

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Perestroika posted:

Those missing are the Lawbringer, Valkyrie, and the Shugoki, also known as the coolest of the bunch.

Shugoki's backbreaker is honestly the most satisfying thing in the game and I'm super sad he isn't in this build. Time to accidentally use Nobushi's dodge a thousand times instead!

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

bear is driving! posted:

I played through the tutorial and practice, and then I jumped online and played about 10 matches.

Multiplayer is your opponent just spinning left stick wildly while button mashing and then guard breaking and throwing you into the water, which instantly kills you for some reason. Little to no skill involved despite the system seeming like it's skill based. To clarify, many of the matches I played defensively and tried to watch my opponent and guard to match attacks, but it looked like they were really just spinning left stick and mashing RB/RT to get hits in. I thought you could only guard break if your attack angle matched their guard angle, but that doesn't seem to be the case, as in the middle of their wild swinging they would guard break and stun me, then either keep attacking or throw me into the water.

I'm gonna pass on this one. It's a neat idea, but I have no desire to try to learn the intricacies of a system that can be defeated by smashing the controller with my face. Which is sad, because I was kind of looking forward to this.

I'm glad you uncovered the all the tactical intricacies of an entire game after only 10 matches. That's damned impressive.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

bear is driving! posted:

Parry is the answer to people who are just mashing. You do a heavy attack in the direction of the incoming attack just before it hits and it throws them off balance. Then the counter to that is feinting your attacks so you bait them into heavies which you punish with lights, and then every character has unique things it can do to change it up from there.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
Is everyone receiving their beta codes through email? Me and some friends have yet to receive codes (Xbone version).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

bear is driving! posted:

Multiplayer is your opponent just spinning left stick wildly while button mashing and then guard breaking and throwing you into the water, which instantly kills you for some reason. Little to no skill involved despite the system seeming like it's skill based.

"He's just mashing buttons and killing me!" -me, butt-hurt and angry at an arcade in 1991, after the local Street Fighter 2 guru took me to the cleaners.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

bear is driving! posted:

Multiplayer is your opponent just spinning left stick wildly while button mashing and then guard breaking and throwing you into the water, which instantly kills you for some reason. Little to no skill involved despite the system seeming like it's skill based.

Just grab them while he's busy spinning the stick like a ballerina and throw them in a wall or in a hole.
If he's not letting you the time to do it, let him drain his stamina and/or parry 'em. The timing can require a little practice, but with no stamina, he's a sitting duck.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So there's currently a beta. I gave it a go.

God, I suck at it so much.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm button mashing and getting owned by bots. Pretty cool so far and I like the customization/global front concepts. Wanna play that Valkyrie class though.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Also note that by using custom match, you can play 1v1 or 2v2 against people in your party. That's a pretty good way to experiment and practice a bit.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Anyone want to suck rear end together on Discord, I suppose?

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
This is going to be the longest day of work ever. I can't wait to get my Warden on later tonight!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

AwwJeah posted:

Is everyone receiving their beta codes through email? Me and some friends have yet to receive codes (Xbone version).

I did, yeah.

TomSTAR
Apr 6, 2009

rap music posted:

First three get 'em.

edit: Got a code, thanks anyways.

TomSTAR fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 27, 2017

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

acumen posted:

Yeah I'm button mashing and getting owned by bots.

The bots are actually better than the majority of players

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm gonna wield a katana.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm gonna wield a katana.

Get your weaboo out of my Valhalla

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Hanzo steel doesn't enter Valhalla, it just sends people there.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Keegers posted:

The bots are actually better than the majority of players

They're pretty good. I can beat the AIs in 2v2s pretty consistently now though. Started with the Nobushi but she appears to be more of a feint+deceive sorta character. Playing primarily as the Conqueror now and smashing skulls with a flail is pretty rad. Plus if you spam his taunt while moving it looks like you're pelvic thrusting.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

acumen posted:

They're pretty good. I can beat the AIs in 2v2s pretty consistently now though. Started with the Nobushi but she appears to be more of a feint+deceive sorta character. Playing primarily as the Conqueror now and smashing skulls with a flail is pretty rad. Plus if you spam his taunt while moving it looks like you're pelvic thrusting.

Also note that the Bots come in difficulties between 0 and 3. 0s are easy fodder, but 3s can be a pretty serious challenge. Those fuckers will parry pretty much everything.

And yeah, nobushi is mostly about zoning, poking, and canceling. That can be pretty fun and you've got a fair amount of options, but she doesn't really have the same heavy follow-through to just keep on pushing that other characters offer and suffers in intense in-fights.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Should I do a download???

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Can I rep the Japanese but play the other faction's classes?

EDIT: Are servers down?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

fadam posted:

Can I rep the Japanese but play the other faction's classes?

EDIT: Are servers down?

Yep. I'm reppin' the BERZERKERRRRs (Vikings) and even though I stick to Raider, I could also get the other faction classes.

Side note: Learn to parry. Easy to learn and gives a decent punish window.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I was assuming that any implemented faction system is just some retard gimmick bullshit like in literally every game that features a meta faction system.

Is this correct?

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Is it just me or is it to easy to run away when low HP in domination?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Keegers posted:

Is it just me or is it to easy to run away when low HP in domination?

It is easy but from a mechanic standpoint that is fine. A person who is running away is just as bad at holding a control point as someone who is dead (possibly worse).

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

It is easy but from a mechanic standpoint that is fine. A person who is running away is just as bad at holding a control point as someone who is dead (possibly worse).

Yeah that's why I usually let them run because I can accomplish alot more in the time they take to reheal. But idk it just feels like that shouldn't be a thing

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
*In the voice of Worf*

Those who flee during Domination are WITHOUT HONOR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So is this game going to be Free to play or $60 because even in beta all I am seeing is microtransactions even for basic stuff like characters.