Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thinking_now_when
Apr 2, 2010

Randler posted:

I still have 3 PC invite codes in case anybody still needs some.

uplay: Randwandler

Added you as d2at. Thanks in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

People must not like the Kensai very much, I'm like the only person playing him.

Yeah, his real strength is a bit hidden away. On their face, none of his abilities appear to be particularly powerful. But he opens up when you realise that pretty much every single attack can combo into his heavy overhead finisher. That on his own is only so-so, but the key there is that you can also cancel that overhead into a heavy uninterruptable side-attack. That means that all but the fastest enemies need to guess ahead of time what direction you'll end up choosing, or eat that powerful heavy attack. He's a bit of a one-trick pony that way, but it's a really good trick.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
E: Got an email invite! Thanks congajackson.

Dunno why the hell uplay didn't say anything but awesome.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 27, 2017

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Tykero on Uplay, looking for a friend code if anyone has one.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, his real strength is a bit hidden away. On their face, none of his abilities appear to be particularly powerful. But he opens up when you realise that pretty much every single attack can combo into his heavy overhead finisher. That on his own is only so-so, but the key there is that you can also cancel that overhead into a heavy uninterruptable side-attack. That means that all but the fastest enemies need to guess ahead of time what direction you'll end up choosing, or eat that powerful heavy attack. He's a bit of a one-trick pony that way, but it's a really good trick.

Ok I gotta figure out the attack canceling and stuff. I don't really know how to chain yet other than just doing 3x overhead attack.

Somehow still winning most duels but gotta take it to the next level!

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Zaphod42 posted:

Really? :( I just posted right above you

I kinda assumed you were taken care of, because you answered to another guy apparently still had codes.

(Oh, and just because there was some confusion earlier. The codes go to your uplay e-mail, so they often land in promotions/spam tabs. Maybe one of the other guys that friended you actually invited you?)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Randler posted:

I kinda assumed you were taken care of, because you answered to another guy apparently still had codes.

(Oh, and just because there was some confusion earlier. The codes go to your uplay e-mail, so they often land in promotions/spam tabs. Maybe one of the other guys that friended you actually invited you?)

Finally got one. Whew. I even checked my email but apparently gmail filed it away as spam or something, yeah. I figured it'd show up in uplay too and I even checked both.

Downloading this poo poo. Finally. Thanks goons.

Orlen
Oct 25, 2005
custom user title
Has anyone got a code for this? I signed up a few weeks ago for the beta but haven't received a code.

E: I checked my promotions box and everything - no email from Ubisoft

orlen86 on uplay

Orlen fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 27, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Ok I gotta figure out the attack canceling and stuff. I don't really know how to chain yet other than just doing 3x overhead attack.

Somehow still winning most duels but gotta take it to the next level!

I'm pretty sure for that attack in particular all you need to do is switch to a side guard and hit heavy attack again before the overhead finishes, no additional inputs required. It's a really nasty mixup that people usually have trouble finding a way to counter for on short notice.

In case anybody has trouble against this move, for most characters, that counter is just double-dodge rolling straight backwards out of range the moment that unblockable starts up. Orochi, and perhaps the other assassins as well, can also dodge sideways far enough to be on the safe side.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

(Somehow continues)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chomp8645 posted:

(Somehow continues)

lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
:qq: MY IMMERSION :qq: in the fictional game that pits knights, samurai, and vikings against each other

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I can't play brawl.
Whatever character i choose my teammate will declare it is for faggots and disconnect

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
more women have survived medieval armed combat than a conversation with me

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
"battle sense"

"I think I'm stupid, slow, and weak. Checkmate, men."

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

eonwe posted:

:qq: MY IMMERSION :qq: in the fictional game that pits knights, samurai, and vikings against each other

The post went on to state that Knights should crush every battle because of their plate armor and steel weapons and it's very unrealistic that vikings or samurai can compete with them.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

(Not pictured: two preceding pages of people earnestly asking for keys and linking Uplays)

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
This game is kind of fun but the amount of crashing puts a real damper on it :(

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
I played duel mostly with a few brawls mixed in, and I have to say it was pretty goddamn fun. To me this has more of the feel of a fighting game, like a more arcadey bushido blade.

I tried dominion once, but there was a crew of 1 raider + 2 nobushi who were running around just slaughtering people by spamming those high light attacks.

For duel I feel like I crushed everyone I played against, except for a nobushi player who beat me for like two hours over and over again by spamming the guard crush.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Anyone play shogoki? Haven't seen anyone play them on twitch yet.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Injuryprone posted:

Anyone play shogoki? Haven't seen anyone play them on twitch yet.

He's unfortunately not in this beta. He, Lawbringer, and Valkyrie were all in various stages of bad balance (the former two kind of bad, the latter one somewhat OP), so chances are they're overhauling them at the moment.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I saw someone earlier in the thread mention microtransactions -- what are they in this game? How obtrusive?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

omg chael crash posted:

I saw someone earlier in the thread mention microtransactions -- what are they in this game? How obtrusive?

Seems like there's lots of customization, so that's a pretty common and IMO decent scheme, hats2play like valve. I don't mind if they sell some fancy helmets and crests as long as I have a few free ones to play with.

The question though is are there any power related microtransactions.

quote:

"What we can confirm at this stage is that all items that have a gameplay importance (new Feats, new Gear Items) will be unlockable by just playing the game," a Ubisoft representative tells PCGamesN.

So sounds kinda like TF2 where they might add side-grade weapons or classes in the future, which you can purchase immediately or unlock through play. Or like modern warfare or whatever where you unlock attachments but you can buy some stuff to jump you ahead.

quote:

Any maps or game modes that are added post-launch to forthcoming medieval brawler For Honor will be free to all players, Ubisoft confirm.

See, that's smart. Sell hats, and use the money to subsidize maps. Because selling maps means only a few people play those maps.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 27, 2017

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Zaphod42 posted:

quote:

"What we can confirm at this stage is that all items that have a gameplay importance (new Feats, new Gear Items) will be unlockable by just playing the game," a Ubisoft representative tells PCGamesN.

This is the part that worries me. I don't mind microtransactions, honestly, but I do mind if they allow you to purchase actual, tangible in-game benefits. The way this is worded makes it seems like that you can earn "items that have a gameplay importance" by playing the game -- or just straight up buying them. That's not really a TF2 hat situation.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

omg chael crash posted:

This is the part that worries me. I don't mind microtransactions, honestly, but I do mind if they allow you to purchase actual, tangible in-game benefits. The way this is worded makes it seems like that you can earn "items that have a gameplay importance" by playing the game -- or just straight up buying them. That's not really a TF2 hat situation.

The barrier there is that the rank of usable items is linked to your character's level. At levels 1 to 20 you can only uses items up to rank 6, after prestiging once you can use up to rank 12, and so on. So basically when you're at the point where you can actually use the high-ranked items, you have played the character so much that you should have gotten a decent selection through ingame drops and currency already anyhow. Plus about half the game modes just outright disable the mechanical effects of items to begin with.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

I've got 3 beta invites if anyone is still interested in trying this out. Uplay is the.bunky
e: forgot to mention I'm on PC
gone!

bunky fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 27, 2017

Shineix
Apr 2, 2010

Flanx2
I'll take one, sent you an invite on uplay. tia

Orlen
Oct 25, 2005
custom user title

bunky posted:

I've got 3 beta invites if anyone is still interested in trying this out. Uplay is the.bunky

Can I have one please? I'm Orlen86. And one for my buddy l00mx as well, if that's ok?

e: Sent you requests on uplay

Orlen fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 27, 2017

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

bunky posted:

e: forgot to mention I'm on PC

I sent you a friend request, Tykero on uPlay.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Tykero posted:

I sent you a friend request, Tykero on uPlay.

Sorry, you were a post too late. Maybe someone else will swoop in with a spare one.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Now that I've gotten to play the game: completely sold.

The combat feels great. Its really slow and weighty, even slower than dark souls has become. You really gotta think through your moves and change up your patterns. Its clearly designed for multiplayer, like somebody said last page, it feels kinda like a fighting game. Really unique and very fun.

The level of customization is insane. Change your helmet, chestpiece, each shoulder, gloves, then change your sword's blade, hilt and grip individually, then apply your choice of paint patterns on each of those pieces you just picked for your armor. Plus every single class can be male or female.

I thought going in that some classes were just dudes and some were just ladies, which is nice, but everybody can be both, so hey that's even better. And there's no boobplate, everybody looks properly armored, even the ladies.

[/quote]

It is because TF2 also has side-grade guns that you can either play for a long time to get to drop, or you can purchase. Its exactly like TF2.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

It is because TF2 also has side-grade guns that you can either play for a long time to get to drop, or you can purchase. Its exactly like TF2.

Yes, except for the critical "it's a full priced game and not F2P" thing.

Some of the classes are gender-locked btw.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

no one ever says good fight to me after a duel :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yes, except for the critical "it's a full priced game and not F2P" thing.

TF2 was not F2P for the majority of its lifecycle dude. It was part of the orange box and not full price, yeah, but this also has a single player mode so :shrug:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

That's lame news, but no biggie. Still tons of customization.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

they will absolutely sell steel for money, which you will use to buy gear booster packs

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

this game is a dumpster fire for $60. maybe at $20 it would be ok

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

TF2 was not F2P for the majority of its lifecycle dude. It was part of the orange box and not full price, yeah, but this also has a single player mode so :shrug:

That's lame news, but no biggie. Still tons of customization.

I think it's just the three free classes that you can choose the gender for, but since every other class does have the menu option for I have a feeling those might come post-launch.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

TF2 was not F2P for the majority of its lifecycle dude.

TF2 came out in 2007. In went F2P in 2011.

It's been completely F2P for over 5 years, longer then it was "full price" (which LOL, it never was. Not even close).

So yeah.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Just played this for 2 hours, holy gently caress it rules. Hesitant to purchase it full price, especially considering it's releasing a week after Nioh, but very strongly tempted to do so.

Also getting ganked in Brawl or Dominion is pretty much just like getting ganked in Dark Souls. Specifically DS1 where you can actually deal with it if you're skilled enough.