Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Draxion posted:

I think it's just the three free classes that you can choose the gender for, but since every other class does have the menu option for I have a feeling those might come post-launch.

Not quite. The ones that are gender-locked are Valkyrie, Nobuchi, Shugoki, Warlord, and I think Lawbringer. The other two thirds of the cast can switch as they like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Perestroika posted:

Not quite. The ones that are gender-locked are Valkyrie, Nobuchi, Shugoki, Warlord, and I think Lawbringer. The other two thirds of the cast can switch as they like.

Ah, okay. I just happened to only unlock the locked ones then. Valkyrie makes sense, at the very least.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Draxion posted:

Ah, okay. I just happened to only unlock the locked ones then. Valkyrie makes sense, at the very least.

Same for nobushi, since she's also patterned after an actual historical archetype.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

I'm having a hard time deciding if they are troll or sjw

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
This game needs the mode from Tiger Knight where you have like 5 vs 5 people but only 1v1 fights at a time and you watch other people get dunked on and talk poo poo while its going on.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Perestroika posted:

Same for nobushi, since she's also patterned after an actual historical archetype.

The funny of onna-bugeisha, Women saw tactical advantage of polearm and males complaned about noob tubin

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Gimbal lock posted:

Is this weird? I generally do a 2 out of 3 and cycle to a new person. That is, unless I completely outclass a person. I've never thought that a newbie might want to spar for a while even if he gets completely wrecked. I should change my policy on rematching duels.

If you completely destroy me 3-0 consistently then I'm all the more interested in keeping on fighting. It generally means you're using some sort of strategy or tactic, or I'm very lacking in a specific area that I can improve on by focusing on how you're able to deal damage to me and how you're avoiding damage. Generally the bigger the skill gap is, the more I can learn. While I don't think everyone has the same mentality, but this is something that was common for dota/fighting game players circa 2007 era where there was no match making and the only way to get better was to learn from getting completely annihilated by people 10 times better than you.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 27, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Keegers posted:

Because they couldn't be legitimately complaining about a lack of black characters in the game, no siree.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Keegers posted:

I don't think the OP in that thread is the stupid one, friend

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

SweetBro posted:

If you completely destroy me 3-0 consistently then I'm all the more interested in keeping on fighting. It generally means you're using some sort of strategy or tactic, or I'm very lacking in a specific area that I can improve on by focusing on how you're able to deal damage to me and how you're avoiding damage. Generally the bigger the skill gap is, the more I can learn. While I don't think everyone has the same mentality, but this is something that was common for dota/fighting game players circa 2007 era where there was no match making and the only way to get better was to learn from getting completely annihilated by people 10 times better than you.

Gonna keep this in mind

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Genocyber posted:

Because they couldn't be legitimately complaining about a lack of black characters in the game, no siree.

Not a lot of black/african warrior archetypes in popular culture to put into a videogame, versus say you know, knights samurai and vikings.

Either now-ish or later on in the night anyone free to help me test a thing or two on ps4? Just do some duels and test how certain interactions work. Also maybe we can get a domination group going for tonight or the weekend.

*ed*

Also yes, the best way to get better is to lose, winning does not teach you poo poo. This applies to fighting games generally but it definitely applies to this game as well.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Genocyber posted:

You can change the skin color of all characters btw.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gimbal lock posted:

You can change the skin color of all characters btw.

I was not aware. I'm generally not willing to give most game devs the benefit of the doubt for the obvious.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Genocyber posted:

I was not aware. I'm generally not willing to give most game devs the benefit of the doubt for the obvious.

:ironicat:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Captain Beans posted:

This game needs the mode from Tiger Knight where you have like 5 vs 5 people but only 1v1 fights at a time and you watch other people get dunked on and talk poo poo while its going on.

Blade symphony did the same thing, and yeah I agree it'd be great here. Have like a duel hangout lounge but let people challenge each other 1v1 and everybody can watch or start other 1v1 duels.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
For the record, those who aren't aware: The AI in this game is REALLY good. 3rd level AI is an amazing dueling partner, the only weird thing I found is that it always gets hit by my plunge attack for some reason.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I'm already banned from playing nobushi against my friends cause man that character can be a piece of poo poo :haw:

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I've found nobushi are susceptible to being parried, don't teach your friends how to parry and keep crushing them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SweetBro posted:

For the record, those who aren't aware: The AI in this game is REALLY good. 3rd level AI is an amazing dueling partner, the only weird thing I found is that it always gets hit by my plunge attack for some reason.

Yeah I put the AI on level 2 to start with and was surprised that it kicked my rear end for a second. Level 3 is solid practice.

I still don't know half the moves some characters seem to have though.

The vikings charge rush thing is ridiculous OP on viking maps where they can push you into some instant-death pit. Is there a good way to avoid that? Dodge, I guess, but like... man.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I put the AI on level 2 to start with and was surprised that it kicked my rear end for a second. Level 3 is solid practice.

I still don't know half the moves some characters seem to have though.

The vikings charge rush thing is ridiculous OP on viking maps where they can push you into some instant-death pit. Is there a good way to avoid that? Dodge, I guess, but like... man.

Its really not that hard to dodge, just remember to dodge to the side and not backwards. All the people with the push you around moves are extra strong in environmental situations, so you have to keep that in mind.

I just wish the big e honda samurai guy was in the beta, instead of pushing you around for his guard break he just straight up gives you a backbreaker.

Also I don't really see the value in the Kensei's unblockable attack, its super obvious and slow, easy to dodge. I know you can cancel it into other gimmicks but a backroll just kinda beats the lot of them. Raider's unblockable is quicker, and a big fuckoff AoE to boot.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 28, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

Its really not that hard to dodge, just remember to dodge to the side and not backwards. All the people with the push you around moves are extra strong in environmental situations, so you have to keep that in mind.

I just wish the big e honda samurai guy was in the beta, instead of pushing you around for his guard break he just straight up gives you a backbreaker.

Also I don't really see the value in the Kensei's unblockable attack, its super obvious and slow, easy to dodge. I know you can cancel it into other gimmicks but a backroll just kinda beats the lot of them. Raider's unblockable is quicker, and a big fuckoff AoE to boot.

Yeah I guess that's it. It just seems like most of the guys I was fighting, side dodging wasn't good enough no matter how I timed it, where back dodging works. But then that makes sense, dodge side for the charge.

Its another 50/50 mixup like a fighting game, like with the 3-way attack/defend stuff. Just need practice probably.

One thing that seems kinda goofy is people can kinda just turn and run away... since you're so slow when locked on and it takes a second to stop and start running... sometimes you can catch them and punish it, but often you're just too slow and then you have to chase after them.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

One thing that seems kinda goofy is people can kinda just turn and run away... since you're so slow when locked on and it takes a second to stop and start running... sometimes you can catch them and punish it, but often you're just too slow and then you have to chase after them.

For domination if they just back off and run, then let em and you get the zone of control for free, that will win you the game better than getting one kill. That said however some classes can chase people down better than others considering domination adds the skills. Raiders get a giant speed boost skill and you can easily chase people down with it.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This would probably be a day one purchase for me if it wasn't P2P matchmaking in TYOL 2017. :mad:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

there is nobody in that topic that isnt dumb as gently caress, wowzers

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

This would probably be a day one purchase for me if it wasn't P2P matchmaking in TYOL 2017. :mad:

All of the matches I've had so far have been pretty much latency free. Had a few minor hitches during a dominion (4v4) match, but nothing major.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think ubisoft has about talked me out of buying this game and I havent even tried it

I apparently got hacked, and someone slapped 2FA authentication on my account (which was dumb of me to not set it up). I get in their chat, they won't help me. I sit on the phone for 40 minutes on hold to get through and get it removed. My wife sends me the invite and now its not showing up, but she also can't reinvite me

sweet

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
and despite not getting an email or it showing up in my games list or in my beta access, logging into the beta website made it show up

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

eonwe posted:

and despite not getting an email or it showing up in my games list or in my beta access, logging into the beta website made it show up

Not to insult you, but did you check everywhere in your inbox? I missed the email with the code for a bit cause of that.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yea, I def didnt get an email

checked inbox, promotions, spam, deleted and did a search also

its ok, it looks like im in

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I just had a game that ran for about a minute and a half and then paused with the network warning window, then rolled the game back literally to the beginning of the match. Prior, I the worst I had seen was when a several second rollback brought the enemy I just killed back to life, but nothing is safe I guess.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 28, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is there a server maintenance schedule I can take a look at? How much longer are they down for?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Finally have the time to try playing and haven't had much luck. First few matches have either had such poo poo connections I could walk maybe two steps before it would hang or as soon as the map started the whole thing locked up.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Pretty upset my favorite characters are the ones that aren't available in the beta. :(

I'll probably pick this game up on sale. $60 is steep.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

It'd be neat if I could rank up and get stuff but each round ends with "the servers are taking longer than usual to respond, you'll get rewards when they're available!".

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
what does the laurel around a player's level mean, host?

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

peer posted:

I sent you one, so check your mail or uplay account page or wherever it ends up. Got two more if anyone's up (EU, pc)

Got your friend invite but I didn't receive any email or anything on my uplay about the beta (or I just don't know where to look :confused:)

drat you gmail :argh:. Got it, thanks !

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 28, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What does the stunned debuff actually do?

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I'm pretty sure it gives you screen shake and black/white vision for a second. Also hides the enemy guard indicator.

Game owns but really needs a "Toggle guard" option. Warden and Raider are my favourite characters so far. Warden feels so well balanced against all kinds of enemies, and the Raider has a freaking double leg tackle as his throw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Dosvidanya posted:

what does the laurel around a player's level mean, host?

It's the prestige level. It means the person got to level 20 and reset the leveling counter. It takes a while and it's surprising that there are already people with this thing one.

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

Game owns but really needs a "Toggle guard" option.

Double check the options, I could have sworn that it this was in there.