Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
There are options for toggle guard and toggle sprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
im dum

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I've been watching streamers play this and I haven't seen a single person playing as the Shugoki. Why is that class so unpopular?

Stanley Pain posted:

This would probably be a day one purchase for me if it wasn't P2P matchmaking in TYOL 2017. :mad:

Seriously this game looks like it could be fun but the fact that isn't on steam and uses P2P is making it hard for me to sink money on it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm in the closed beta and I REFUSE to play Shugoki.

I will not play him even once the entire time.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

fadam posted:

What does the stunned debuff actually do?

Believe it makes it so you can't see your opponent's stance/attack indicators.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm in the closed beta and I REFUSE to play Shugoki.

I will not play him even once the entire time.

Well that's easy enough cause he ain't in the beta :confused:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Am I doing it wrong? I can never seem to get my combos to go off, or maybe I am setting my combos off but they just suck. If I attack an enemy and they block my first hit, I usually stop attacking as I'll get dodged and attacked myself (changing attack direction never works, people are too quick, even trying to feint with a heavy attack gives them too much time). If my first hit lands, I spam the attack buttons in the way the combo tells me but I don't really feel like it's doing anything differently. Do I need to time my attack presses for it to properly combo?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Loopoo posted:

Am I doing it wrong? I can never seem to get my combos to go off, or maybe I am setting my combos off but they just suck. If I attack an enemy and they block my first hit, I usually stop attacking as I'll get dodged and attacked myself (changing attack direction never works, people are too quick, even trying to feint with a heavy attack gives them too much time). If my first hit lands, I spam the attack buttons in the way the combo tells me but I don't really feel like it's doing anything differently. Do I need to time my attack presses for it to properly combo?

If your light attack gets blocked, your attack string automatically ends. The shield classes also can end your heavy attack strings on a block as well. The basic combos have no specific timing but yes as you say you can change direction on each swing. If they block it all well that's honestly just good on them for doing it. Remember if you can't get past their defense with basic attacks there is guard breaks as well.

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012
How do people deal with Warlords? I play Nobushi and they seem to just plow through me like nothing. I'm probably choking a bit too, but I'm not sure how Warlord works mechanically so usually I get stomped, and everything I do seems to get blocked pretty easily.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The fast little dual wield knight character is fun and fits my playstyle pretty well, it seems. Very tricky when a Warlord bears down on me, though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Evil Canadian posted:

Not a lot of black/african warrior archetypes in popular culture to put into a videogame, versus say you know, knights samurai and vikings.

Either now-ish or later on in the night anyone free to help me test a thing or two on ps4? Just do some duels and test how certain interactions work. Also maybe we can get a domination group going for tonight or the weekend.

*ed*

Also yes, the best way to get better is to lose, winning does not teach you poo poo. This applies to fighting games generally but it definitely applies to this game as well.

Who gives a poo poo about popular culture.

Give us a Nahuatl and Kongolese or maybe Songhai themed faction next. Or maybe just a combined mesoamerican/south american themed faction in general. Atlatls and macuahuitls are rad as hell.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I kind of wish these guys shouted their move names in English instead of Chaiwanese or whatever. I wish I knew what the Raider says when he does his unblockable.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the community in the beta is pretty chill. some dude curb stomped me as a warden in a duel and gave me tips how to get better with my warden game.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

fadam posted:

I kind of wish these guys shouted their move names in English instead of Chaiwanese or whatever. I wish I knew what the Raider says when he does his unblockable.

Do the Vikings shout in Norwegian? This is important.

Captain Spoon
Oct 26, 2007

Not actually silverware.
Just started playing the beta. Is there a way to regain health in this game?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Captain Spoon posted:

sitting on a or c if you have them regains health. other than that getting executions or killing ai soldiers if you have a skill.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Make sure you guys are upgrading your gear in domination. You shouldn't be lv10 with gearscore of 0.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Frozenfries posted:

How do people deal with Warlords? I play Nobushi and they seem to just plow through me like nothing. I'm probably choking a bit too, but I'm not sure how Warlord works mechanically so usually I get stomped, and everything I do seems to get blocked pretty easily.

Warlords are very susceptible to guard breaks and feints. When they enter full guard their shield will glow, immediately toss out a guard break to punish them. They have a couple of super armor attacks, parry those because they have a massive wind up and they glow white.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Captain Spoon posted:

Depends upon your class and abilities, and even then you have to earn enough points each match to unlock each of your skills. But yeah, lots of classes can heal, plus you can hang out at a capture point like Roobanguy said.

The basic knight has both a first passive ability which causes you to heal when you kill mooks, and then his 3rd ability is a self-heal.

You don't get those in smaller games of 1v1 or 2v2 though.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Why does 1v1 and 2v2 have environmental hazards, I feel like they should be arena type deal

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

man i have no idea how to deal with law bringers as a warden. their grab is ridiculous.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Roobanguy posted:

man i have no idea how to deal with law bringers as a warden. their grab is ridiculous.

guard break counter

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
After a full day with the game my biggest impression is that it's just a big "meh". The dueling is pretty good, but that's about where the game's praise ends. And dueling can't hold up a whole $60 title. There is so little content of value here that it's astonishing. I'm feeling bored of the game already. I know that a campaign is coming but let's be quite honest here: who gives a flying gently caress? Also the peer to peer hosting is atrocious. Disconnects are very common in the Dominion mode, especially as any rage quit can trigger them. You will also waste a lot of time failing to join lobbies for any mode.

If you are the kind of person who defends every thread in Games by saying "actually $60 is fine if you're a functional employed adult" while huffing your own farts then sure, go ahead and get the game if it interests you. Anyone who cares about value or even staying interested for more than a single weekend probably shouldn't bother.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 28, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

After a full day with the game my biggest impression is that it's just a big "meh". The dueling is pretty good, but that's about where the game's praise ends. And dueling can't hold up a whole $60 title. There is so little content of value here that it's astonishing. I'm feeling bored of the game already. I know that a campaign is coming but let's be quite honest here: who gives a flying gently caress? Also the peer to peer hosting is atrocious. Disconnects are very common in the Dominion mode, especially as any rage quit can trigger them. You will also waste a lot of time failing to join lobbies for any mode.

If you are the kind of person who defends every thread in Games by saying "actually $60 is fine if you're a functional employed adult" while huffing your own farts then sure, go ahead and get the game if it interests you. Anyone who cares about value or even staying interested for more than a single weekend probably shouldn't bother.

I have not run into any of those issues. Played for ~5 hours so far and all my connections have been flawless, no disconnects or trouble finding people to fill matches (always within half a minute) and I've only run into one person who rage quit so far (And it still counted as my win which was nice).

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Met a really good Orochi player while playing domination, apparently he was 1v3ing my team while I was 1v3ing his team. He was doing a lot better than I was, granted he did have like 60 more GS than me. Invited him to private duels because I really wanted to practice against a good Orochi. After beating him back to back for 9 matches he suddenly left group and hasn't answered my messages. I mean I was a bit disappointed because I was so excited to play against a better Orochi player, but I didn't say anything about. I don't think he likes me anymore :(

Genocyber posted:

I have not run into any of those issues. Played for ~5 hours so far and all my connections have been flawless, no disconnects or trouble finding people to fill matches (always within half a minute) and I've only run into one person who rage quit so far (And it still counted as my win which was nice).

Honestly it depends on your own connection more than anything. I have a really high quality connection and I have experienced zero issues in duels, and desync only occurring when the hosts abandons in Domination.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 28, 2017

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Yeah, $60 is alot for a game that feels like a newer chivalry or something. Also who knows if the campaign is even going to be good. I do enjoy dueling alot however and that is the main reason I want to buy it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chomp8645 posted:

:goonsay:

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Keegers posted:

Yeah, $60 is alot for a game that feels like a newer chivalry or something. Also who knows if the campaign is even going to be good. I do enjoy dueling alot however and that is the main reason I want to buy it

I must have not played enough Chivalry cause I don't know da poo poo you're talking about

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Hot springs are some serious poo poo I guess

https://gfycat.com/IlliterateOblongIberianlynx

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
I dueled a pretty good conquerer as a warlord for like two hours today, it was pretty goddamn fun because both of us were using a counter/parry playstyle.
It was pretty much the two of us going back and forth playing mind games because 90% of the regular attacks made were getting punished.

I agree that it seems like there isn't much content, but there really is so much depth to the combat that I think I'm going to go ahead and buy it.

Plus if Rainbow six siege is any indication, there may be more maps, more factions and whatnot coming out in the future.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
The beta seems to already have plenty of maps, characters and variety, so if the full game has any more than that plus the extra 4v4 mode, and the campaign, I think that's a good amount of content given the depth of the gameplay.

e: also i have the world's worst internet and i havent had any connevtivity issues and the game seems to play fine to me

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Keegers posted:

Make sure you guys are upgrading your gear in domination. You shouldn't be lv10 with gearscore of 0.

Upgrading gear is a huge waste of steel. Just wait until you hit reputation 1 and buy a premium box or two for blue gear.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Chomp8645 posted:

Agree with this fully. I have had some fun duels, but 80% of the time it's dull as hell and it's constantly reconnecting due to the peer to peer hosting. I am already getting tired of it. I have the game pre-ordered for 40% off but I think I'm gonna cancel.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Dezztroy posted:

Upgrading gear is a huge waste of steel. Just wait until you hit reputation 1 and buy a premium box or two for blue gear.

I've been really confused by the gear in this game. The fact that each gear piece comes with tradeoffs seems to suggest a TF2 style side-grade where the gear just represents specialization, but then they also have an actual gearscore number and rarity. Is there straight up vertical progression?

Regarding game value -- we all know the campaign is gonna be a series of botmatches with some voice acting and cheap cutscenes. I will be absolutely shocked if it's anything more than that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pinbacker posted:

I dueled a pretty good conquerer as a warlord for like two hours today, it was pretty goddamn fun because both of us were using a counter/parry playstyle.
It was pretty much the two of us going back and forth playing mind games because 90% of the regular attacks made were getting punished.

I agree that it seems like there isn't much content, but there really is so much depth to the combat that I think I'm going to go ahead and buy it.

Plus if Rainbow six siege is any indication, there may be more maps, more factions and whatnot coming out in the future.

Yeah same. Once you get the hang of it, 1v1 and 2v2 duels are really deep and fun. It really is like a fighting game complete with animation cancels into different combo strings and all that jazz, but in a fully 3d environment. There... isn't really any other game on the market I can think of like that. The closest thing is something like Power Stone or some of the later Dragon Ball Z games.

And it really sells the feeling of being on the battlefield, fighting amid all the chaos, like you're a star in Braveheart. Dominion is basically Dark Souls DOTA. You kill mooks to level up but you kill players so you can level up faster than them, you gotta work together as a team to fight but also spread out some and cap points, but then even when you have the points you still have to kill the enemy team, it just initiates sudden death. But even after sudden death, you can still rez teammates! I like it.

I'm not expecting any kind of miracles or story from the single player, but it does feature co-op and just having some co-op missions to blast through and practice the game's combat sounds pretty rad to me.

I'm pretty sold, but pre-ordering games is for schmucks. Probably gonna buy at midnight though :)

And even just in the beta there's a good ton of stuff to unlock, and I'm expecting the full game to have some more doohickeys and maps, plus stuff after release. We know there's more classes that aren't here, at the very least.

One thing I want is a mode where each team is all from the same faction. So like, all knights vs all samurai. With letting people pick between the 3-4 classes of that faction, but having each faction match each other and their mooks. That's probably already a mode in the full game just not in the beta, though. And that makes sense, with fewer players in the beta it'd be harder to matchmake if there are faction restrictions.

E: Server issues are a serious pain in the rear end though and they need to get on that poo poo. Its not really acceptable. Plenty of AAA games have shipped in worse state, but it was just as unacceptable then. They have some time to work on it, but not much. (Yes I'm aware its p2p)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 28, 2017

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Scoss posted:

I've been really confused by the gear in this game. The fact that each gear piece comes with tradeoffs seems to suggest a TF2 style side-grade where the gear just represents specialization, but then they also have an actual gearscore number and rarity. Is there straight up vertical progression?

Regarding game value -- we all know the campaign is gonna be a series of botmatches with some voice acting and cheap cutscenes. I will be absolutely shocked if it's anything more than that.

Default gear is the most "balanced", but some of the stats are obviously way better than others. Sprint speed for example is so much more useful than block damage, same with stamina regen over revive speed.

The bonuses from gear used to be massive, such that high level gear would let you 2-3 shot people with light attacks. They've since toned it down, not sure how significant of a difference gear makes now.

The campaign probably won't be anything special, but it is more than just bot matches. There's a part where you're chasing a guy on horseback. It looks like it's on rails, but it's something at least.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Scoss posted:

It's a bit of both. All gear has some inherent trade-off, e.g. trading defense for attack. However, by upgrading your gear you an improve the bonus to a greater degree than the malus. So for example with a low-level blade you might have +5% attack and -5% defense, but a high-rank one may well have +15% attack but only -10% defense. So yeah, there is a bit of vertical progression there, though honestly I haven't really felt much difference. A friend of mine has like 50+ gearscore, but even when I'm playing him with a blank slate 0 gearscore character it doesn't feel like a really noticeable difference. It seems to skew more towards fine-tuning and less towards powering up.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Evil Canadian posted:

Hot springs are some serious poo poo I guess

https://gfycat.com/IlliterateOblongIberianlynx

This is hilarious. Burst out laughing and had to watch it a few more times.

I hope I get an invite to the game so I can try out before I decide whether or not to preorder it.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

How the poo poo do I get the game to stop replacing my colors with my team colors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

SweetBro posted:

How the poo poo do I get the game to stop replacing my colors with my team colors?

You can set your preferred colours for each team, that's the only way I guess. Your "neutral" colours only show up in 1v1, I think.