Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I think I wanna play this game as long as Ubisoft doesn't gently caress it with some massively gay micro transaction bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I want to slay foes with my Hanzo steel.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I want to be a Samurai.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm gonna wield a katana.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Hanzo steel doesn't enter Valhalla, it just sends people there.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Should I do a download???

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I was assuming that any implemented faction system is just some retard gimmick bullshit like in literally every game that features a meta faction system.

Is this correct?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Keegers posted:

Is it just me or is it to easy to run away when low HP in domination?

It is easy but from a mechanic standpoint that is fine. A person who is running away is just as bad at holding a control point as someone who is dead (possibly worse).

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
*In the voice of Worf*

Those who flee during Domination are WITHOUT HONOR.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

socialsecurity posted:

So is this game going to be Free to play or $60 because even in beta all I am seeing is microtransactions even for basic stuff like characters.

It's gonna be $60 and also have a season pass and also have all kinds of micro transactions.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 26, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gimbal lock posted:

Is it really a microtransaction if you can't buy them with actual money? All that stuff is using ingame currency and I don't think there are plans to sell that stuff for money.

It's hard to say because they may very well charge for that stuff but obviously they would not enable that during the demo. It could be that all that stuff is and will always be fun bucks only. However it is also eminently possible that you will be able to buy the in-game fun bucks with real money at release.

This is Ubisoft. I honestly have a hard time thinking of anyone more likely to pull something like that.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 27, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's not possible. It's guaranteed. Ubisoft releases full price games with AAA season passes and F2P cosmetic monetization systems bolted onto them. That's their thing now.

lol this is why I haven't downloaded my beta yet.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

rap music posted:

with the option to pay cold hard cash if you're an employed, functioning adult.

Oh yeah baby, this is the poo poo. The line always spawns such wonderful and reasoned discussions in Games.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Game is fun to play but it seems a little lacking in the value department. It's really just a fun dueling game but I'm not sure it has the same depth as a conventional fighting game. The 4v4 is half baked, it's ok I guess. The faction war is a dumb gimmick not even worth mentioning. As a whole the game really has nothing in it of any significant interest besides "good duels".

Considering that it will have a campaign I guess it will probably be of comparable total value to like Star Wars: Battlefront on release, maybe a little less. You can take that as you will. I'm on the fence on whether or not it worth a purchase. It is absolutely NOT worth a blind purchase of the season pass.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 27, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zaodai posted:

Wait, if the host drops? This is all peer to peer?

Yes. The Ubisoft servers just handle matchmaking and the pointless Faction War stuff. All gameplay is peer to peer.

This is also why Duel/Brawl is more reliable than Domination. P2P poo poo just breaks down past a couple players.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
People must not like the Kensai very much, I'm like the only person playing him.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, his real strength is a bit hidden away. On their face, none of his abilities appear to be particularly powerful. But he opens up when you realise that pretty much every single attack can combo into his heavy overhead finisher. That on his own is only so-so, but the key there is that you can also cancel that overhead into a heavy uninterruptable side-attack. That means that all but the fastest enemies need to guess ahead of time what direction you'll end up choosing, or eat that powerful heavy attack. He's a bit of a one-trick pony that way, but it's a really good trick.

Ok I gotta figure out the attack canceling and stuff. I don't really know how to chain yet other than just doing 3x overhead attack.

Somehow still winning most duels but gotta take it to the next level!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

(Somehow continues)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

eonwe posted:

:qq: MY IMMERSION :qq: in the fictional game that pits knights, samurai, and vikings against each other

The post went on to state that Knights should crush every battle because of their plate armor and steel weapons and it's very unrealistic that vikings or samurai can compete with them.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

(Not pictured: two preceding pages of people earnestly asking for keys and linking Uplays)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm in the closed beta and I REFUSE to play Shugoki.

I will not play him even once the entire time.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
After a full day with the game my biggest impression is that it's just a big "meh". The dueling is pretty good, but that's about where the game's praise ends. And dueling can't hold up a whole $60 title. There is so little content of value here that it's astonishing. I'm feeling bored of the game already. I know that a campaign is coming but let's be quite honest here: who gives a flying gently caress? Also the peer to peer hosting is atrocious. Disconnects are very common in the Dominion mode, especially as any rage quit can trigger them. You will also waste a lot of time failing to join lobbies for any mode.

If you are the kind of person who defends every thread in Games by saying "actually $60 is fine if you're a functional employed adult" while huffing your own farts then sure, go ahead and get the game if it interests you. Anyone who cares about value or even staying interested for more than a single weekend probably shouldn't bother.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 28, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zzulu posted:

I haven't played it yet but from watching videos it seems like it is sorely lacking stuff like objectives. Almost all gameplay vids I saw were people piling on some straggler or stabbing eachother in the back while running around a small map. Repeat for 15 min...

Feels like an "assault/defend" playstyle would have been cooler where one team is dedicated to defense and the other is attacking, like in Overwatch or something.

I agree that a more robust "big battle" mode would go a long way towards bringing up the game's value. Dominion isn't awful or anything... but it's really not great either. It's just there. It feels like it only exists because they felt obligated to have a "big team" mode and not because they actually had any cool ideas they wanted to implement. Unfortunately it's probably impossible for them to implement something that truly feels like a grand battle with just 4v4, because peer to peer hosting is really sketch the higher the player count.

It kind of reminds of when Star Wars: Battlefront came out. That game was also commonly accused of having too little content and hinging on the Walker Assault mode. The thing is that Walker Assault was loving awesome. I paid my $60 for Battlefront at release and then played the crap out of the game. If I pay $60 for this I think it'll just get shelved in a week.

It is possible that the Season Pass content and other things will make this a full fledged game with lots to do and enjoy. And if that happens I'll gladly buy it down the road. But the release version just seems incredibly bare bones. I'd recommend to basically everyone not to buy it at release, but to put it on their "watch and wait" list.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 28, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dinictus posted:

What happened between the two states and that you went 'poo poo what were we thinking?'

Probably "nothing".

This post is not ironic.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Playing on the Xbox the P2P doesn't effect Duel or Brawl very much but it sucks rear end for Dominion. Lot of dead games.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Roobanguy posted:

a super bad earthquake hosed up the world and somehow made the vikings, knights, and piratessamurai super close and now they are fighting for the remainder of the world.

Two additional reasons:

1) It's not Earth.
2) Who gives a gently caress.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
My reaction to "a 4v4 deathmatch mode is coming" is the same as my reaction to "a SP campaign is coming".

WHO GIVES A FLYING gently caress.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Like seriously a 4v4 deathmatch is just "lets put all the bad parts about this game and none of the good parts into one mode".

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Read from bottom to top.

The cause: a man was very angry that my Nobushi was playing passively* against his Peacekeeper which was in non-stop rush mode. This is the entire message string, I really didn't send him anything to trigger this.

*Passively: Using back poke, attempting to maintain distance.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zzulu posted:

i can not believe you would use the best strategy against me in this competitive videogame

you are SUCH A DICK

The surreal part was that he was sending one message in between each round of the duel. He must have had a keyboard (Xbox). So every round I would get a new message notification. We played two matches and he lost both, then left the lobby, then challenged me to a private 1v1.

lol

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SweetBro posted:

Wow it's almost as if this was CB without a full map rotation, hero release, and no included campaign mode.

lol

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Are there people that honestly, no joke, believe that when someone says "this game doesn't have enough content" that more maps and a redundant game mode are all that they want?

Just lol.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Wandle Cax posted:

lol at that because good deep gameplay is enough content for me.

Ok, that's fine. Do you think it's not right for others to feel there isn't enough?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kawabata posted:

game looks and plays great

but lol at the lack of dedicated servers for a game like this

I agree on both points.

I think just about everyone likes the way it plays. There just isn't much to do. The dueling is good. Dominion... exists. The faction war is completely pointless and retarded. More maps won't change any of those things. A 4v4 deathmatch really won't either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Wandle Cax posted:

What sort of additional content would you expect?

There are two big things they could do to improve value imo off the top of my head. The first would be a proper "big battle mode". Something that really feels like you're in the chaos. Dominion gets there a little bit... but not really. It's just a 4v4 with control points and a pile of mooks in the middle. Some kind actual siege with attackers and defenders would be cool, instead of this mode where there are "attackers" and "defenders" in name only. Unfortunately a a real "big battle mode" is probably impossible due to the magic of P2P.

Another would be to make the Faction War actually fun to engage with. Right now it is totally pointless. There is nothing to do with it. I don't have a specific idea cooked up for this one, but I'm not on the game design team. Something to actually make you feel attached to your faction and able to interact with the war in an engaging way would be a great addition.