Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Scoss posted:

Game is fun but has serious connectivity problems. It seems to all be running on peer to peer, and about 50% of the time when you queue for 4v4 you get stuck in a lobby and it just spins its wheels forever, you have to alt F4 out of the game.

This same kind of poo poo is what made me stop playing Rainbow Six, almost the exact same issues with totally busted matchmaking. I know this is a beta test but with the game launching in two weeks and a track record of being awful, Ubisoft doesn't exactly deserve the benefit of the doubt here. I'm seeing some people saying this is a persistent issue from previous tests as well, which is does not inspire optimism. Real shame considering the game seems otherwise pretty great.

I haven't played rainbow six but they seem to have a track record of actually fixing problems with that sort of stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
The beta seems to already have plenty of maps, characters and variety, so if the full game has any more than that plus the extra 4v4 mode, and the campaign, I think that's a good amount of content given the depth of the gameplay.

e: also i have the world's worst internet and i havent had any connevtivity issues and the game seems to play fine to me

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Scoss posted:

This game is really lovely for odd numbers of players. We had 3 people on for a while and were having a pretty not great time in Dominion with a 4th slot pubbie on our team and getting wrecked by bad matchmaking, then two more people came in to play and 5 is just an impossible number to work with here.

Even a super low effort "free for all" style custom game where we could just be in an arena map and fight while hanging out together would have completely solved this and would easily have been our favorite play mode.

There is a 4v4 Deathmatch mode and something called elimination in the final game, the beta is not all the content in the game

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
The dominion mode is 100% a team game and i've not played anything like it so its quite novel for me.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
This game is really fun when the combat clicks.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
lol at that because good deep gameplay is enough content for me. I already want to keep playing the beta because the actual you know game is rewarding enough

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

I agree on both points.

I think just about everyone likes the way it plays. There just isn't much to do. The dueling is good. Dominion... exists. The faction war is completely pointless and retarded. More maps won't change any of those things. A 4v4 deathmatch really won't either.

What sort of additional content would you expect?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

panda clue posted:

This thread went to poo poo in a hurry. It's okay for people to have different opinions about things, guys. Really.

Uhh...what? I don't think you've seen a poo poo thread in games

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Yeah I had an absolute loving blast playing this game. I always had my doubts about it but when I found out the Rainbow 6: Siege team was making it I wondered if they could accidentally make two good games. Looks like they did! Shame about all the Ubi bullshit attached though. It could be so much better with real support behind it :ohdear:

idgi, overpriced DLC aside, as far as i can tell ubisoft support their games very well with updates and fixes continuing long after release. at least the sequel will be excellent too

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I owned all peacekeepers i faced using nothing more than the warden and the raider, maybe they just didn't know what they were doing

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Zzulu posted:

if you like being competitive, if you like deep melee systems and the primary draw is the combat itself, then I'd say this is a good buy... but it takes getting used to. I only thought it got really fun once I got pretty good and could hold my own in dominion

Yeah i almost never buy a game brand new but i'm still itching to play this after the beta. I think the deep combat system rewards skill and makes you want to keep playing to get better at it, and when you lose it's not so bad because generally it's because you lost fair and square. It's much more fun for me than a shooter where i die instantly every 5 seconds, at least here i have a chance to fight.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Prawned posted:

Game is pretty good and fun, dominion is a bit of a clusterfuck and could really benefit from heavier punishment for fleeing players - if the maps were bigger, and you were out of the fight longer after you ran away (like in most MOBAs) that'd be a good fix. Also faction war really is a pointless boondoggle.

Yeah i guess the faction war is just a way to give some context and motivation to random duels and such but it could do with being explained better.

Any indication of how long the single player campaign will be? I'm guessing not that long but from videos it does look like more than just the multi with bots, it's got cutscenes and everything. Could be fun because the AI seems decent.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

If that's what you want I think the 4v4 for honor has it in spades. If you get into a 2v1 fight you're in a really rough spot (Imagine 2v1 street fighter or tekken) so teammates really need to be aware and work together when multiple enemies show up. Similarly good teamwork pays off really well if your friends are co-ordinating with you.

Plus its got deep combat, so having people perfectly block your moves and destroy you with all kinds of fakeout cancels can be infuriating, just as mastering the same and using them on people who haven't yet feels rewarding. :black101:

2v1 is manageable if you keep calm, block well and use the revenge mechanic wisely, and it's very fun and satisfying to displatch 2 attackers, 3 or more i can imagine is not going to end well

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
So, if the new maps and modes are going to be free, and the heroes too (?) does anyone think the season pass will be worth it in any way? I guess it's hard to say since it's still unclear to me what the season pass contains apart from some "bonus" things and 1 week early access to new heroes.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Minor question, does anyone know if the season pass 30 day exp boost is something that is likely to start automatically or can you choose when to start it? was there something similar in R6 siege or something

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
So help me I am actually considering pre ordering the gold edition

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

New characters/maps seem like a thing they're gonna make you pay cash dollars for, hence the season pass

No, it needs to be made very clear, all new maps and modes are free updates for everyone.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
If i still have the closed beta downloaded on my PS4 will that be the same one used for the open beta?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Sounds like it'll be every three months like Siege. Maybe will get stale for a bit but it keeps people coming back. (maps and characters at least... no word on more modes)

I'm sure they'll release new modes too, seems like it would be not too much work and keep things interesting.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

breaks posted:

Dumbass "playlist" poo poo that includes what are basically totally unrelated game modes (for example Dominion where you randomly get the moba-ish/ticket thing and one is elimination, which aren't really similar and BTW the former one sucks rear end).

What are you talking about, you choose either dominion or deathmatch to play from the map screen

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Feindfeuer posted:

That's Dominion, or Domination or something like that. It's the only mode I ever end up in when I'm using quick play. I've never played anything else unless I've selected it directly on the map.

No there's 2 different Deathmatch modes, one is elimination one is point based

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

mellowjournalism posted:

I really wish they would have more bot variety than just the Raider set to 'Heavy Attack'

You can play a 1v1 duel against the AI and it seems to be a random character with all manner of strategies

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Keegers posted:

I like how no one maps vote. Allows me to do choose whatever I want

Ha yeah I do the same. But there's only 3 maps for dominion so it doesn't make much difference. I guess the weather changes. I do like how you can play elimination on all 6 maps, both larger dominion maps and the smaller arenas.

How exactly does the dodge work? Ive noticed recently playing the Kensei that dodging into an attack with the right timing does kind of a counter move, how does this differ from parry etc

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

breaks posted:

The Kensei does have the dodge attack but it doesn't happen automatically, you have to press light attack along with the dodge.

Ah yeah that's what I meant. Does not seem to work everytime, I guess the direction matters as well

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I don't think it's honorable to run away immediately upon starting an elimination match. I did enjoy pushing someone trying to run away from me into a pit of spikes

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

No I'm stating it directly.

Hey the map could be fun, everyone likes Risk right!?!

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
It dosnt't hurt. just a little metagame to give some context and motivation to random battles

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Little detail I just realized: the location on the faction map of the battle affects the map during the game, e.g. if it is up in the mountains it will be snowy etc.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Uh, how do you do he instakill ladder butt smash?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Anyone noticed the stats for the last round of a fight not being counted on the results screen? i.e. the kills and deaths not updating from the final round?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
is that a river of lava

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Nechronic posted:

Beta is over! As of this posting the Steam Review for the For Honor Beta is showing 46% of the 6,927 user reviews are positive.

Is that low? seems a bit low to me. Hopefully a lot of people enjoy the game but i guess it is a little tough to get into and takes a bit of time and effort to get to grips with.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

panda clue posted:

Knights won the faction thing btw, so you picked knight grats, you get a sick border emblem thing:

wow seemed like last time I checked the map was mostly green samurai zone.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah I honestly don't get why it procs in 1v1s. Mainly because its existence just means the optimal strategy for anyone that has been blocked a bunch is to just run away until their revenge meter backs down. Not very interesting.

Yeah but at least running away isn't going to get you far in a 1v1 because the areas are quite small, you will run into a dead end.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Garrand posted:

The video works perfectly fine for me, and it's 8 minutes long in which the orochi has literally no way to damage the warden because the warden blocks every feint, including double and triple feints and guard breaks. The orochi is constantly running out of stamina. Basically the point is the warden has literally no reason to attempt to go on the offensive.

Yeah but that's if you want a draw everytime, obviously you can't actually win without attacking

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

With this post you have likely thought more about the system than Ubisoft did.

Nah it's adjusted based on player count for each faction and you cant just jump to the winning one because you don't get the reward or something

^^ don't worry too much about the intricacies of the faction war just focus on fighting good and think of it as a big game of risk

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Garrand posted:

Nothing carries over, but you can pick a faction at any time anyway.

Not if you want the rewards from winning a round or whatever

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Plenty of people streaming the campaign on twitch now

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Theres a cool level where you fight on a frozen lake and the ice is breaking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Sooo the shugoki can execute instantly when he's on low health