Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
Disregard I was already in the beta, but didn't realise it

Pinbacker fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
I played duel mostly with a few brawls mixed in, and I have to say it was pretty goddamn fun. To me this has more of the feel of a fighting game, like a more arcadey bushido blade.

I tried dominion once, but there was a crew of 1 raider + 2 nobushi who were running around just slaughtering people by spamming those high light attacks.

For duel I feel like I crushed everyone I played against, except for a nobushi player who beat me for like two hours over and over again by spamming the guard crush.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
I dueled a pretty good conquerer as a warlord for like two hours today, it was pretty goddamn fun because both of us were using a counter/parry playstyle.
It was pretty much the two of us going back and forth playing mind games because 90% of the regular attacks made were getting punished.

I agree that it seems like there isn't much content, but there really is so much depth to the combat that I think I'm going to go ahead and buy it.

Plus if Rainbow six siege is any indication, there may be more maps, more factions and whatnot coming out in the future.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
I think a few more modes, ranked matchmaking, and seasonal updates will make this a buy for me.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
The twitch chat for the special event is so salty about vikings knocking people off of ledges

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
you could even say that by not throwing someone off a cliff, you dishonor the cliff

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
gently caress yeahhhhhhhhhh the steam controller works in the open beta

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
Blocking with the steam controller is so much better than mouse, you just have to tap a direction to block

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007

Av027 posted:

I've been playing with a 360 pad, but have a steam controller, so I might try it. Did you need to rebind anything, or did it recognize it straight away? Using mouse mode on the pad I assume?

Actually I only had 20 minutes to play before going to a meeting, so I just turned it on and opened the beta.
Didn't try it in big picture mode, so no rebinding or configuration was done. It recognized right away, and yeah, mouse mode on the pad was default.

I'm going to rebind some stuff when I get home, probably dodge and guard break to the finger buttons because on the pad buttons you have to take your fingers off the block direction to hit them.
Also, the default sensitivity for the mouse mode pad was too high in the vertical axis, so I want to mess with that as well.

The mouse pad blocking was perfect though, with a normal mouse you need to swipe in a direction to block, but the steam controller mouse pad you just tap in a direction and you get a satisfying feedback.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007

Gimbal lock posted:

It's not broken: relying on it too much will be your undoing.

Yeah anybody who knows how to parry will punish that

Esp. a warlord who will get a free heavy hit every time

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
Regarding controller remapping, I have a steam controller and remapped most of the buttons.

I played KB+M in the closed beta, but wanted to try how it played on a controller.
For me, the steam controller felt better for blocking, once I had configured it correctly.

Basically, I moved the attack buttons to the left shoulder and trigger buttons, that way it was easier to hit them while my thumb was on the directional pad (for attack and block direction)
I moved the parry and guard break to the finger buttons on the bottom of the controller (again, so that I could easily hit them while keeping my right thumb on directional pad).

Finally, I adjusted the directional pad to Joystick mouse style, which means that swiping in a direction gives a joystick output to that direction. I also messed with
the dead zone so that simply tapping in a direction about half an inch from the center of the pad would give the max output. This means that to shift my block/attack
direction I just have to tap anywhere slightly away from the center of the pad. This gives you issues when navigating out of guard lock mode, you have to carefully tap the pad
to change direction, holding it down will wildly swing your point of view and get you killed.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
I 1v1 dueled a warden yesterday (as Lawbringer) who didn't know how to guard break, so for three rounds I just ran straight up to him and threw him off a cliff right at the start of the match.

He demanded an honorable rematch without falls, so I agreed, fully intending to just keep throwing him off the cliffs, but he selected a map that doesn't have cliffs.

After two rounds of me throwing/shoving him into every possible wall he rage quit when he realised he was gonna lose.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007

explosivo posted:

Man, I really wanted to like Lawbringer but he seems kind of bad so far, other than the running impale obviously. Overall I'm just so much more effective with Nobushi it's crazy.

The problem with lawbringer is that his attacks will be parried by anybody competent. His parry follow ons are all slow and easily parriable. So, I think right now the best way to play him
seems to be to abuse guard break and his shove. Only issue with this is that if you face really really good defensive players you don't have any options.

For everybody else, I block>shove>guard break>side heavy. If I get them close to a wall, I throw them into it>heavy.
If they run out of stamina, I will dash up and throw them to the ground>heavy.
If they dash back to get away, I'll drop guard and sprint, and they now have to decide if i'm going to spear charge, guard break, or shove>guard break.

Basically I try to throw so many guard breaks that all they can do is think about countering it. This leaves you with some opportunities to mixup, like block>shove>side heavy>side heavy, or
block>shove>light overhead.

After knockdowns you can make them choose between guard break and shove>guard break.

Also the running impale is super risky, if it is blocked you lose all your stamina.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
I think Warden does need a small nerf on the shoulder charge, it's too safe a move right now.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007

Gunder posted:

Warlord chat: I keep trying to do his parry into a guard break move, but only about 20% of the time does he correctly zoom forward after parrying and connect the Guard Break, the rest of the time he just stands on the spot and whiffs a standard guard break animation, giving the opponent plenty of time to recover from the parry. It's really frustrating, as he doesn't get much out of a parry otherwise. I've tried varying the speed at which I press the guard break button, to no avail. What am I missing?

For me it usually means I didn't hit guard break fast enough.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007

FunkMonkey posted:

I'm closing in on renown 8 for Lawbringer and am really feeling that I'm reaching the limits of what the class is capable of. I love the class but it is just so slow and ponderous on the offense that anyone with solid defense skills is just like a brick wall, and the only way I can really hurt someone is on a succesful guard break. When that's just not realistic my only real option is to hunker down and wait for revenge so I can knock my opponent over with shoves. I understand why that tactic bothers people, but I'm really seeing that as my only option more and more frequently.

I really hope they follow through on those promised buffs soon, and that they make a difference.

I stopped just before prestige 3, I got to the point where I felt that winning in duels was just too much work. Lawbringer is a noob wrecker, but has no tools against good defensive players. That and I started seeing like 3-4 lawbringers in every 4v4 after Galahad94 blew up.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
So raider is able to counter guard break the warden's vortex. This is because he is the only character with a dodge guardbreak.

What you do when you see the shoulder bash is dodge +guard break, and if he cancels to guard break, you can now counter it.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
This is why don't play 1v1 anymore, in 2v2 and 4v4 turtling means that you must rely on your teammates to win their individual matchups. Also, if you are up against a turtle you can just ignore him and try to go gank someone else.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
My experience has been that Wardens are the most common turtles. Warlords have enough options to not need it. Warden just seems to attract tryhards who don't want to lose.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
Just watched the Dev stream,

Revenge gear is getting fixed.

PK is getting nerfed, Warlord is getting nerfed. Lawbringer getting gigantic buffs.

Berzerker and Kensei were also mentioned, but no specifics.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

So I'm playing lawbringer, in large part because I saw a rep 7 lawbringer and fell in love with the black armor and he's actually a lot of fun!

Any real tips? I'm doing semi-decent with him, but haven't really learned the mix-up game yet.

I've played lawbringer since release. There is only one type of player that you really can't beat; these are the guys who never parry, always block, and abuse certain moves to get guaranteed damage (Warden vortex, Warlord Headbutt).

Against defensive players who parry:

Out of neutral, your mixup is based on heavy feinting. You have to get a feel for when to feint and when to let it ride. Galahad94 uses Heavy feint > grab ALOT, even though it almost never hits. Also remember that many times you can't be GB'ed off of a parried heavy, and that many experienced players will forget this and whiff their GB. I personally use Heavy feint > light extensively.
Heavy feint > light
Heavy feint > grab
Heavy > light

You also have a decent mixup game based on your shove. This works especially well if you can deplete their stamina. Even if you get parried, they can't really punish it, and if you feint out their parry you can get an AD MORTEM INIMICUS.
Shove > Top light
Shove > Heavy feint > grab
Shove > Heavy feint > heavy
Shove > Heavy > heavy unblockable
Shove > Heavy > heavy unblockable feint

Against super aggressive players I abuse his light overhead. Against dodging players I will throw it out repeatedly, and when they start dodging, I'll throw out a feint and try to parry the dodge light for the AD MORTEM INIMICUS.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
So skirmish is apparently fun now. I dunno if they changed up the spawns or something but its pretty much 4v4 nonstop action in a small area with no honor bullshit. Straight up brawling for 10 minutes.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
I actually kind of like skirmish, it's refreshing to play a mode where no honor is implied and you can just respawn quickly when you die. They've also fixed the spawn so it's not just a track race for ten minutes anymore.

I was watching marvel vs. capcom on twitch, and it seemed to me that 70% of the matches ended up in endless infinite aerial loops where one guy just got gangbanged against a wall. I think the balance in this game is much better than that.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007

Mercedes posted:

HOW?! I got this drat game on UPlay so I don't have access to steam big picture

You can still run it throught steam by adding it as an external game

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
RIP this terrible but fun game :(

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
I played a shitload, got over a 100 hours out of it. I just can't bring myself to log in anymore, but I don't regret it at all. Game was fun as gently caress, hope they fix the issues.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

Not sure why y'all are saying RIP? I know they just did the warrior's den with some pretty major changes to the game re the defensive meta. Looks pretty good to me, honestly!

And 1.7 million unique players in june sounds pretty good, though i'm sure most are pretty concentrated on the consoles vs PC.

Yeah I haven't really played in weeks, but reading about this upcoming patch has me excited.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007

Campbell posted:

At launch I played LB and never got the hang of assassin style deflecting/guard reset.

Trying to figure out gladiator and to deflect I just need to try and dodge in the direction of an attack and not have guard that way too, right? My timing sucks :/

To block I just need to have my guard in the direction of an attack but it seems like it needs to be set for a time and not close to simultaneously?

The guard direction doesn't matter. Timing is critical, you have to be patient and dodge at the last possible moment. If i miss a deflect it is almost always because I got skittish and hit it too early.

Same thing with the block. Your guard drops after a small amount of time, so you have more leeway to block than deflect. Again, try to be patient and not hit it early, because you won't be able to get your guard up again in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
Alot of people rebind attack commands to the left triggers so you aren't claw gripping with you right hand. (The nominal config forces you to hit attack buttons and swap block direction with the same hand, which is painful for me)