Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

7c Nickel posted:

This also seem ripe for high quality expansions. There are a tons of awesome historical warriors you can mine for 4 flavorful characters per side. Romance of the Three Kingdoms era China, the Mughal empire, hell, let's get some Pacific Northwest warriors out on the battlefield with 50 pound solid hardwood helmets tough enough to deflect bullets.

Lets get some mesoamerican poo poo in here. I want to cut people in half with a loving macuahuitl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Evil Canadian posted:

Not a lot of black/african warrior archetypes in popular culture to put into a videogame, versus say you know, knights samurai and vikings.

Either now-ish or later on in the night anyone free to help me test a thing or two on ps4? Just do some duels and test how certain interactions work. Also maybe we can get a domination group going for tonight or the weekend.

*ed*

Also yes, the best way to get better is to lose, winning does not teach you poo poo. This applies to fighting games generally but it definitely applies to this game as well.

Who gives a poo poo about popular culture.

Give us a Nahuatl and Kongolese or maybe Songhai themed faction next. Or maybe just a combined mesoamerican/south american themed faction in general. Atlatls and macuahuitls are rad as hell.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Zzulu posted:

How many viking classes can you even make

This guy has an axe! THIS guy has a bigger axe!! THIS guy has two axes!! THIS GUY HAS TWO BIG AXES :O

Who's to say they plan to keep at the base three factions forever

Saracens, Mongols, Nahuatl

There's a lot of room for cool stuff if they don't bind themselves to the original three forever. I'd think they'd have to diverge at some point, at two heroes every 3 months.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

The Faction War probably solidifies a three faction system.

What is more likely is that they do the Extremely Obvious Thing and take advantage of the cataclysm present in the lore. Oh look, after this here volcano storm or whatever, survivors from Not Rome have made it to our lands! They have joined forces with the Knights faction. Meanwhile, the Not Egyptians have thrown in their lot with the Samurai!

Stuff like that.

That's functionally equally good, and I'm down with that.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

lol.

Listen, I like this model. I really do. I think it's better than what is on offer from just about any other AAA publisher right now. I believe it to be a very fair compromise between the Ideal Model as imagined by your average corporation versus your average consumer. But telling people who just spent full retail on a product that they are lucky they aren't being strong armed into additional purchases is really getting into some "thank you sir, may I have some more" territory.

Strictly speaking, you're both right. We are lucky and it is ALSO kinda poo poo :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Trillhouse posted:

Dominion mode (the 4v4 mode) was kind of a shitshow in closed beta. A single good player will who knows how to use revenge mode well will tip the entire balance in his team's favor. It definitely had the least skilled players on average compared to 2v2 and duels. Expect a lot of people using the one combo they know is good for their class (see: Peacekeepers with the guard break into triple stab) or loitering near ledges to throw people off. Or running away unless they outnumber you. So until people get a lot more experience I doubt team comp will matter too much. Play whatever you think is fun.

How does one use revenge mode well anyway? I understand that it's actually easier to build it when being ganged up on, something about blocking multiple people being easier? But I don't really know any details.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Sultan Tarquin posted:

The closed to open patches didn't actually go live. Peacekeeper 3x stab still does half your HP bar.

Huh odd. Wonder if that'll be addressed before the beta is over.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Currently I can't seem to get into any multiplayer matches because their hyper sensitive Easy Anticheat is flagging me for...something? I don't even know what :shrug:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I have no idea how to deal with a remotely competent Conqueror. They'll block everything and then unblockable shield bash you into a wall and get free hits for days. :shrug:

What, if anything, can I do to negate that shield bash?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Feindfeuer posted:

You can't block guard-breaks like the shield bash, that would make them pretty useless. Dodge the shield bash, or any other guard break, and than hit them in their stupid face... or the side/back of their head.

Yeah I still can't quite get the hang of this sadly. The window of opportunity to dodge that poo poo is so small that truly good Conquerors just poo poo all over me and I rarely so much as graze them.

Bonus points for if they literally infinite chain shield bash+heavy+shield bash+heavy you into a wall til you die or however that works.

It's frustrating. They're the only matchup where my first inclination is "give up, let someone else handle it".

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I can understand feeling overwhelming indifference towards the faction war but the idea of actually being bothered by it in any way shape or form is utterly alien to me.

It's a little thing to inspire a bit of tribalism in the playerbase, and if you buy into that it encourages you to mix up which game types you play because "oh this one isn't a Front for us right now". Or you can totally ignore it. :effort:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Perestroika posted:

You gotta love it when people run and very conspicuously stand next to a cliff, because they can't hack it in a regular fight. Just makes it even more satisfying when they get their comeuppance:
http://i.imgur.com/TZz3OKU.mp4

Also, I'll never get tired of this bug:
http://i.imgur.com/lLxMDlf.mp4

Bug??

Or

Feature?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Panzeh posted:

I'd love to see a 1v1 lobby mode yeah. I think this game is pretty much made for 1v1 fighting, the other stuff.. is probably better in a game like mount and blade.

Dominion has a surprising amount of depth tbh.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So uh you just press the guard break button to counter opponent guard breaks right? I was told it was heavy attack by a friend and i've not been having any success.

Yes. It sounds like either you misunderstood your friend when he was talking about parries, which is where you actually use heavy attack, or he misunderstood you/the game.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The main thing ruining this game for me right now is Easy Anticheat. I absolutely cannot get the thing to gently caress off or find any consistent answer to why it freaks out sometimes and not others. Every day I basically just have to keep restarting until it stops causing problems, and then leave the program open the whole day so that I can continue to play. If I crash I'm back to Easy Anticheat hell until it, again, randomly stops causing me problems.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

So how is this game if I love historical sword whacking and only care about playing against AI.

I wouldn't.

This game is about the multiplayer, and it sure as poo poo isn't about history in any way.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

ScratchAndSniff posted:

Loved the beta, but I'm worried for the game's long term staying power. Hopefully it will do a good job matching players of similar skill levels once they do the full release. That will make or break it long term IMHO.

I pre-ordered because I'm a sucker for any game that lets you stomp people as a viking.

I do worry that the people going "this game won't have enough people, might as well not buy" might create a self fulfilling prophecy but it's probably stupid to take forum comments as representative of the population at large, generally speaking.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Wandle Cax posted:

wow seemed like last time I checked the map was mostly green samurai zone.

The Samurai go to bed early.

Knights poopsock all through the night.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

panda clue posted:

I literally think this is what did it, hilariously enough. god dammit i hate the internet

Doubtful. It was pretty much the same through nearly every day of the Open Beta. We'd get clubbed to hell at night, then I'd wake up and we'd be in control again, or drat near.

Just seems to be an outcome of who's playing in what time zones.

Last night the Samurai were kicking the living hell out of everyone.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

panda clue posted:

that article triggered me so hard. gamingjournalism.txt

It's kind of a dumb article but they're not wrong that it's probably worth paying attention when it's used and how it's used because much like people who use swastikas in games frequently aren't actually being ironic at all, there is an actual correlation to lovely people :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Just wanna say that megaposts about historical poo poo like this make any more awesome.

Still doesn't help the fact that the Japanese Islands were very iron poor. The South American tribes had the same issue really, which is why for "swords" they would often use what was called a Quecha (I probably spelled that wrong). Basically a paddle with obsidian shards on the edges for cutting edges. Works really damned well...until the Spanish come rolling along armored in iron hats and curaisses, and armed with steel swords and smallpox. Volcanic areas just aren't great for iron.

That's because plate armor such as that was designed to defend against swords in general. It's why you'd have peasants using hammers and maces. Also why as discussed last night you'd have Knights grabbing the blade of their swords in their gauntletted hands to bludgeon each other with the weighted pommels and crossguards of their swords (like with the Warden's executions) as make-shift hammers.

I'd just like to elaborate on this issue:

The South American "tribes" (probably a misnomer given that they were capable of large scale city building) didn't eschew iron due to lack of availability so much as lack of need. The circumstances that created the European arms race simply did not exist in South America. Heavy armor was wildly impractical due to sheer climate, the Spaniards rarely even wore their breastplates to avoid being cooked, and due to the ready availability of obsidian they already had pretty much all they needed in terms of weapons material. They had all they needed in terms of metals for tool making, there was little direct incentive to experiment further.

Weaponry had essentially nothing to do with the Spanish victory in South America. Plague did quite literally all the heavy lifting. Before the plague got in full swing, Cortez was little more than a curiosity and a mercenary playing the sides of the Aztec civil war.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dreylad posted:

Also worth noting that the Spanish actually ditched their armour in favour of the Incan heavy cloth armour when Pizarro made his push south. It wasn't even really about one group having better technology than the other; the Spanish and Portugese were fighting in an environment that was completely alien to them, while the Americans' weapons and armour was adapted to the environment.

It really cannot be overstated how apocalyptic the plagues were. Estimates of the dead can go anywhere as high as "approximately Black Death levels".

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Psycho Society posted:

It shouldn't be ignored that in many cases Europeans did in fact go the old "slaughtering of peoples" genocide route as well. Like in Haiti.

They did. But the Carribean and South America are literal apples and oranges.

Alkydere posted:

From what I understand, the Black Death/Plague was actually rather light compared to the effect Smallpox had on the native Americans. The plague could kill half to 2/3 of a European city. Smallpox would destroy closer to 95% of some native settlements. There was literally no resistance. A lot of what the settlers to the new world would see weren't so much the representatives of what they'd see 20, 10, or even 5 years ago. They were the Mad-Max survivors of a literal apocalyptic event.

I was indeed being generous. I try to lowball it as much as it is possible to lowball the absurdity that was native depopulation, simply because we can't nail down the exacts too much and probably never will.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 13, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

1500 posted:

Lawbringer on the other hand really looks disappointing, seems many of his moves are 4-5 action sets. There is no way you are going to get that far into his combos.

Could you elaborate a bit, and/or link to some good Lawbringer videos? I really want him to be good but... :ohdear:

I played a lot of Kensei and it sounded at first like he might be a good option for someone accustomed to that style.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Hypha posted:

But Bloodborne was so pretty. It has a spear with a gun! It was like my two favourite weapons all in one package.

Think about the rabbits, Hypha...I'm so sorry. :commissar:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

So have any of the streams indicated whether the tutorials give the same amount of steel they did in the beta? Are the hero unlock prices unchanged?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Perestroika posted:

Aw man, Lawbringer is still kinda garbage. :(

Details drat it :argh:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Well if nothing else Berserker will be looking a little better what with the nerfs casting Peacekeeper down from Mount Olympus.

He could still use a little something more, but I don't think the ZERK is bad. Just not great either.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Here's a dumb loving thing Ubisoft did. They combined the Elimination and Skirmish queue. Skirmish is like Dominion except without any cap zones and it's not fun at all. There's no way to queue for one or the other you can set your preferred mode but if it drops you into a skirmish when all you want to play is Elimination lol get hosed.

Did Skirmish even exist in the beta

I noticed it being mentioned in the text and I was like "the gently caress is a Skirmish"

Were the Kensei buffs in the open beta or is that only just now taking effect as well, by the way?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I will Lawbringer come hell or high water he is too goddamn stylish to be garbage tier :negative:

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 14, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Haroshia posted:

I take back most of the good things I said about him.

That bad huh

It's amazing how short his trait list is. Does any other hero have so few unique characteristics?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Have they said how to redeem the reward for being the open beta faction war winner yet?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Haroshia posted:

He's like the Warden if the Warden was bad. His damage primarily comes from huge telegraphed directional combos. The risk of parrying just doesn't have enough reward. Basically he has to set up unblockables with light>heavy>heavy. That's two big chances to parry. Light doesn't chain into heavy fast enough to get around players that aren't poo poo. To add insult to injury rather than just letting him parry from any direction into an unblockable he can ONLY do that on an overhead. His side attacks are parryable spear pushes that although cool as gently caress looking are like a much harder to set up Raider tackle.

As far as I can see the best thing about him is the shove from block draining the gently caress out of their stamina and stopping combos, but a parry does that AND has more punish for other classes. I just don't see his purpose besides being awesome.

I'll keep maining him until I hate myself

The only way I can see to make this dude work is to find some way to get a guaranteed top heavy for the stun and work with that while they can't see for poo poo.

If we can find a reliable way to set up the stun it might be salvageable.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Haroshia posted:

Except the telegraph and timing for his poo poo in that is so obvious you can still parry it all. He can't do an unblockable side attack combo while the stun is up, and his overhead makes Kensai's overhead look positively speedy. You can still parry unblockables while stunned.

Can doesn't mean will. The enemy is not a flawless robot.

It's not much but it's something.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Promontory posted:

Hey, thanks for the tip! I've actually seen that sheet before and have been trying to play according to my "role", but so far the overall experience has been, well, ballchasing. Maybe the teamplay will improve as more people start playing in a more tactical sense?

So far my favourite Dominion map has been the one with three hanging bridges leading to C. Guarding it as a Shugoki by barreling at people trying to cross compensates for the waiting.

Trying to take that point from a good Lawbringer is awful :shepicide:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

Wow this playerbase is getting toxic fast. Is this normal for fightin games?I've been called every racial slur ever in several languages.

You either die a fag noob or live long enough to become jew hacker

It's probably due to the overlap appeal to fighting game players.

The fighting game community is full of mongoloid idiot assholes.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

It's a pretty uncontroversial statement. Fighting games are notorious for being toxic as hell, only possibly surpassed by MOBAs. Maybe.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Here's a steaming hot take: Minorkos is right about all or most of his points but the majority of us are not operating at the skill level where it matters. It is simultaneously possible to not be affected or inconvenienced by design flaws and also hope they are addressed for the people who are in that skill bracket.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

That reminds me, who other than Warden has a good zone attack for mixing into regular fights? I've had some success with the Zerker spin, but who else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dominion mode in a nutshell:

"Here I am fighting faceless knaves for Queen and Country toodle pip good show, what's this? Some dastardly Lawbringer has slammed into my flank out of nowhere and has now deposited me into a pit twenty meters away. Outrageous!"

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 15, 2017