Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I have watched some videos and the game looks pretty interesting to me. I have signed up for the beta but I have not gotten to play yet. Is there a video somewhere detailing the mechanics of the game? Like attacks/how defense controls and such? I can infer a bit from watching random gameplay but would like to know the nitty gritty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Having a lot of fun with it so far. As a big fighting game guy a lot of the skillset transfers over in terms of mindset. Dueling is super fun and I like that the environment matters, I am a bit poo poo at the team mode though because i always go too far out and get hosed by multiple players.

There is a lot of depth to this combat, its like souls pvp+++.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Loopoo posted:

Genuinely not surprised that it has such an atrocious amount of connectivity issues, same exact crap happened with the Rainbow Six: Siege beta. Was nigh impossible to play with friends as it kept showing us as offline, or we'd join the group and instantly get disconnected, or - the absolute worst - we'd join a game only to be stuck in loading screen limbo as one of us ended up getting dropped without knowing. So we'd all have to hard restart the game.

Other than that, it's really drat good fun. Definitely not worth the asking price, as I see it getting stale very quickly. But I'd definitely pick it up if it was cheaper. It's nice that there are counters to everything, even grab-spamming Vikings (I'm one of those cunts). But the minute you're ganged up on, it's GG. I've not once won a 2v1, the most I can do is come super close but it's always easy to get zerged and smashed to pieces. Dominion is my least favourite mode, as it's so hectic. It always devolves into one guy getting gangbanged by 4 enemies. Enemies have a really annoying tendency of just running away when you get them to low HP and there's gently caress-all you can do about it because we all run at the same speed.

Connectivity sucked for like an hour or so until they rebooted it and fixed it. I've won a few 2v1's already you just need to do advanced training to help understand how to block the other guys. You can choose to stay and get rage and fight em back or block a few dodge out and run, panicking and mashing = you die. If I was using a shield class it would be even easier with the faultless defense as you can easily turtle up to get the rage and whomp everyone for free.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Lakbay posted:

Playing the beta and holy crap there's a lot of visual noise on screen in dominion, it's worst when heroes almost blend in perfectly with soldiers

That was very annoying at first, but after a bit I just kinda noticed the icons. It does help to notice even the small classes are still much larger than the creeps or whatever they call em.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

hahaha ok the japanese spear class is super super cool, makes me feel like I am actually playing a fighting game. Way longer moves than as far as I know the other classes, has poison and a bunch of dodge stance stuff with pokes at the end. Already had a guy quit out of a duel before it was over with this.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Sometime on Friday i'd be obliged if a ps4 goon wants to help me out in some duel testing. Certain things are easy enough to figure out vs the duel dummy, but some other things I need another person.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Also Nobushi the more I play it it straight up a fighting game character. Footsies(poke-sies?) stances, stance canceling, whiff canceling specials, etc etc. Compared to the rest of the cast its incredibly complex.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Digirat posted:

This game looks very cool but it feels inevitable that half the players are just going to find whatever class and tactics are the most exploitable/un-counterable, and abuse them against anyone who tries to play any differently. Due to the style of game this is, it feels like that will be a lot more harmful than, say, people finding the most overpowered weapon in an FPS with a low TTK. You can still kill people with a bad gun, but it seems likely that abuse in this game is going to mean "conform to the same playstyle/class or lose."

There's enough depth to the game as far as I keep finding out that there is not going to be anything to exploit or be "uncounterable". You can, and will get wrecked if you are ignorant of what another class can do and just mash away, but its on you to learn. I have been doing a bunch of dueling and each time I run into something I lose to, I head to practice for a minute to see that classes options and what it was and then I don't get hosed by it again.

Also way too many people just wanna block everything, certain moves just have to be straight up dodged like the shield class rush moves.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

SweetBro posted:

Conqueror- Had only one round against this guy, lost 2-3 with almost no HP on the guy left every time. I haven't figured out how to reliably deal with him yet. The player made very good use of guard breaks, and GB counters. Also I'm honestly still not sure how the shield mechanic works, but it was pretty impossible to break through his defense. Almost all of my damage came from my own GBs and dodge punishing his occasional whiffed attack. If anyone has advice about how to drop him I'm all ears.

The two big things about conqueror is 1) their blocks always count as parry's regardless of your attack and 2) if conqueror holds down on analog, it blocks all attacks from all angles regardless and takes a hit to stamina. This is the class I initially had the most trouble with but you gotta make liberal use of guard breaks. It helps to be a class that can get something decent off the break but not 100% necessary.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Genocyber posted:

Because they couldn't be legitimately complaining about a lack of black characters in the game, no siree.

Not a lot of black/african warrior archetypes in popular culture to put into a videogame, versus say you know, knights samurai and vikings.

Either now-ish or later on in the night anyone free to help me test a thing or two on ps4? Just do some duels and test how certain interactions work. Also maybe we can get a domination group going for tonight or the weekend.

*ed*

Also yes, the best way to get better is to lose, winning does not teach you poo poo. This applies to fighting games generally but it definitely applies to this game as well.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I put the AI on level 2 to start with and was surprised that it kicked my rear end for a second. Level 3 is solid practice.

I still don't know half the moves some characters seem to have though.

The vikings charge rush thing is ridiculous OP on viking maps where they can push you into some instant-death pit. Is there a good way to avoid that? Dodge, I guess, but like... man.

Its really not that hard to dodge, just remember to dodge to the side and not backwards. All the people with the push you around moves are extra strong in environmental situations, so you have to keep that in mind.

I just wish the big e honda samurai guy was in the beta, instead of pushing you around for his guard break he just straight up gives you a backbreaker.

Also I don't really see the value in the Kensei's unblockable attack, its super obvious and slow, easy to dodge. I know you can cancel it into other gimmicks but a backroll just kinda beats the lot of them. Raider's unblockable is quicker, and a big fuckoff AoE to boot.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 28, 2017

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

One thing that seems kinda goofy is people can kinda just turn and run away... since you're so slow when locked on and it takes a second to stop and start running... sometimes you can catch them and punish it, but often you're just too slow and then you have to chase after them.

For domination if they just back off and run, then let em and you get the zone of control for free, that will win you the game better than getting one kill. That said however some classes can chase people down better than others considering domination adds the skills. Raiders get a giant speed boost skill and you can easily chase people down with it.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm in the closed beta and I REFUSE to play Shugoki.

I will not play him even once the entire time.

Well that's easy enough cause he ain't in the beta :confused:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Loopoo posted:

Am I doing it wrong? I can never seem to get my combos to go off, or maybe I am setting my combos off but they just suck. If I attack an enemy and they block my first hit, I usually stop attacking as I'll get dodged and attacked myself (changing attack direction never works, people are too quick, even trying to feint with a heavy attack gives them too much time). If my first hit lands, I spam the attack buttons in the way the combo tells me but I don't really feel like it's doing anything differently. Do I need to time my attack presses for it to properly combo?

If your light attack gets blocked, your attack string automatically ends. The shield classes also can end your heavy attack strings on a block as well. The basic combos have no specific timing but yes as you say you can change direction on each swing. If they block it all well that's honestly just good on them for doing it. Remember if you can't get past their defense with basic attacks there is guard breaks as well.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Hot springs are some serious poo poo I guess

https://gfycat.com/IlliterateOblongIberianlynx

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Loopoo posted:

I'm trying so hard to fall in love with this game, and I really want to make myself want to buy it at launch, but I just can't shake the feeling that it's far too shallow to truly enjoy. I dunno why, though. I bought Rocket League and I'm in love with that game, even though it's "kick the ball into the opponent's goal ad infinitum", and that's sorta the same premise of this but it has a little more depth. That being said, I find myself getting intensely bored after an hour or two of playing and I don't feel the urge to pick it up again unless I force myself to.

What is it missing that makes me not get hooked?

If you don't like it you don't like it :shrug:

Not every game is for everyone. So far I dig it mostly because it scratches the fighting game itch because the combat is much more in depth than I ever gave it credit for.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

That sounds like an issue more on the PC side. People are complaining about p2p but for me on ps4 its all perfectly fine. I said it in another thread but I am super sensitive to matters of input delay and the like because I have been playing fighting games basically all my life and I can't notice that in this game online. Even in 4v4 I never have a "ahh I got that but the game didn't register moment".

That said that could still actually absolutely be the issue on pc as I know ubisoft has had a shaky history with PC ports over the years.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Dosvidanya posted:

they aren't going to attack and now get to dedicate 100% of their mental resources to defending.

Then you get a free guard break/unblockable/gimmick and go from there??? Stam break is basically a death sentence.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

My biggest complaint is probably the 4v4 maps. I wish there was maybe ACBD instead of ABC for zones? On each map I have played generally B is just a giant clusterfuck. Maybe if there was 2 zones with creeps going at it, it would be more manageable and players would spread out a bit more.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Revenge is very strong, but that's the point I suppose as most 2v1's are a losing battle the second you enter it. Ride the lightning a bit and you can then boot their asses easily.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Honestly now I think about it, the biggest thing I can fault the game for is nothing with the game itself, as I do legitimately think its fantastic, however its really poor timing in release. 2 weeks after the game comes out is Horizon and Tides of Numenera, a week after that is Nier: Automata, 2 weeks after that is Mass effect, 2 weeks after that is Persona 5, 2 weeks after that is Injustice 2.

When did q1 become so loving savage. As much as I like the game there's just more games on the horizon that I would personally rather put more time into.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Indecisive posted:

eh, if there's 2 solid weeks of no other major releases that's not bad these days

Those are just games I personally care about, I am sure there is quite a bit more besides those.

I really wanna get the game, I just wanna make sure its not just I play it for those 2 weeks and then it falls off with everything else I wanna play coming out, because then its not really worth it.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

I don't know how much use it is, but the Raider can guard-break toss someone infront of them other than just using the running charge, Hold down(as opposed to tap, which will put them behind you) and square, and you will basically do a big spinning irish whip throwing them infront of you. Once again not really sure of the validity of it right now as the running charge is great and already moves them forward if you want that, but its something.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Ahh you know what gently caress it, pre-ordered. This game absolutely knocks out of the loving park what it sets out to do so even if I got other games on the horizon this will probably still shine through.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Is there any footage out there of the Lawbringer and the Valkyrie? There's some out there for the Shugoki but for the other 2 a cursory google isn't showing much other than the official class trailers.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Aw dang, the last 3 classes still not in eh?

Oh well, Raider still plenty fun :getin:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Wandle Cax posted:

So help me I am actually considering pre ordering the gold edition

Seems like the most honourable edition to order, checks out.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Chinese warriors have the most representation in vidya games anyway, a whole dynasty of em.

It seems Valkyries have an execution where they just headbutt the other guy to death?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSU6BDKHWL4&t=71s

:swoon:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Apparently the PC version is not being handled by Ubi Montreal proper, but handed off to another team within ubisoft germany called "Blue Byte".

Not a big deal for me since I am getting it for PS4, but could be for some PC people? I have no idea about blue bytes history.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Chomp8645 posted:

I have no idea what that implies or affects. Can you enlighten me?

Sometimes(but not always) a pc version being ported by not the main team can spell disaster for a number of reasons, as its not their game and they botch a lot of things. Studio High Voltage is synonymous with this as their PC versions of games they put out are buggy/crash ridden/unreliable all around.

Not saying this is the case for For Honor by any stretch, but Ubi does have a sketchy past with PC ports so it makes me wonder.

*ed*

Maybe Blue Byte does fantastic work I don't know, just tossing it out there.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 6, 2017

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Oh then I suppose dudes are legit then, should be all good for pc people then!

Now lets just hope Shugoki/Valkyrie/Lawbringer can make it into the open beta cause I am still dying to try all them out.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 6, 2017

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Gimbal lock posted:

What a good berserker fight ends up like (lots of feinting essentially)

video

Some good matches although I fail to see the point of constantly switching guard. Doesn't fool anybody and both of em get smacked more than a few times doing it as there is the slightest bit of recovery inbetween switches. I don't know who it's supposed to fool but only the red flash matters so I don't care where your current guard is standing.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

The key way to play Kensei is to pretend you are Mitsurugi.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Actually now I think about it my biggest problem with the game is the announcer in duels.

Announcer will go ROUND 1, ROUND 2, etc, but I never hear "FIGHT!" after the round number. Its very stressful because I keep expecting to hear it :shobon:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Perestroika posted:

hell of stuff

Just wanna say fantastic post lots of great info, Thanks.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

titties posted:

Also, could someone please tell me how to do this:

ty

Guardbreak, then hit a direction and guardbreak again to toss people around. Some peoples animations/differences are more involved than just the regular toss as shown in that gif.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

MikeC posted:

quick question, is there a place to practice combos on dummies? Also when do you click the next button in the combo sequence, I figure its like other fighting games where its as your hit lands? Can you continue the combo off a blocked attack?

I think in the how to play or custom game menu there is a place where you can duel a bot. Set it to ai level 0 and it will just not fight back.

As for hits yes after you connect hit the button again and next one will continue. As for continuing off blocked attacks when your light attack is blocked your chain ends then and there, however you can keep using your heavies to attack(although certain classes like the conqueror end heavy attack chains after 1 block like a light).

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Also seeing people still hangup on the p2p poo poo is weird and dumb. As it stands whatever they are using for netcode is basically magic and there everything is WYSIWYG, no input delay, no rollbacks. I have never once had my combat effected by the game being p2p and that's the only thing that matters.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Kawabata posted:

If you've watched Lassix or Oroboro (among others) playing the game you will see them complain about ignored inputs from time to time.

I BLOCKED THAT
IM HITTING BUTTONS
I TECHED THAT

is a common thing in a competitive game when you actually just hosed up, and only your brain thinks you did it right when in reality your hands did it wrong. After well over 100 duels and absolutely no issues, its fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Kawabata posted:

Huh, Oroboro is among the players that literally make metas in Souls

Souls pvp is a joke compared to real fighting games so I am not too concerned about that. Ill take what I know over some random guy I have never heard of who plays dark souls.