Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Nah it's actually very good, and certainly better than having a teammate swing into the guy you're fighting's guard and give him super powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Double Monocle posted:

Fun balance facts-

An orochi and a lawbringer walk up to eachother.
Lawbringer is the highest HP (fatty has 10 more but also takes bonus damage).
Orochi has the lowest.

Both characters will hit eachother with a single light attack at the same time untill one is dead.

The orochi will win this duel. With roughly 25% of his HP left.

This is called balance.

This games balance is super smash Bros melee,but the assassin's are the space furries, warden is Marth, and everyone else is Yoshi.

Warlord is good and Nobushi and Kensei seem fine.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Like, in case this isn't obvious: the classes are not perfectly balanced. There are issues with some, and I find some of the characters a little one-dimensional personally. But just saying "I traded side attacks and won and that's bad balance, case closed" is facile.

I dont think its a coincidence the classes that have the most options (Warlord, Orochi, PK, Warlord) are good and the one dimensional ones (Raider, Conqueror, LB) are bad.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Gear is bad and will probably end up killing this game but lmao going full King Kong mode with all ~90 ilvl revenge gear in games where everyone else's gear score is single digits is hilarious.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Making untechable GB more obvious would be really cool actually, considering how important to the game they are right now.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is the shugoki wall splat->command grab guaranteed?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah it happened to me a few times today. I think turtle Shugoki is a incredibly strong character.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Gear stats have kinda killed my casual interest in 4v4, especially with friends, none of us are going to spend money on microtransactions to speed up the process of getting the gear, so our 5 to 20 gearscore gets matched up against 108 guys, was demoralizing to be spawncamped by a peacekeeper with perma revenge, max attack/defense and every attack bleeds.

Hoping for a no gear stat checkbox for 4vs4's in the future.

You really don't have to spend any money to get gear. I haven't bought any steel and I'm ilvl 90.

EDIT: Although to be fair, before last night I basically only exclusively played 1v1 and 2v2.

fadam fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 25, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Jesus lmao. I know it's not cool to call people autistic anymore but come on.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Xeremides posted:

You say that, but that was the status quo in plenty of competitive games like 15 years ago. I think I preferred it that way.

That said, this game has taught me people care more about winning than anything else, so I'm not going to bother hamstringing myself. Your rear end is going into a puddle, or spikes. Especially if you're a conq or warlord and we're on a bridge.

What competitive games are you talking about?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

You said competitive games, not games where people RP as Jedi in FFA servers.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

How come my headbutt will randomly knock people down when I'm in revenge mode? They're not out of stamina or anything.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Haroshia posted:

When in revenge mode all knockback moves knock down instead. Conq's shield bash, Warlord's headbutt, Warden's shoulder bash, and Lawbringer's shove.

That's neat. I swear it only happens like half the time, though.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Here's the UltraChen podcast on For Honor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4wuB6SiDqQ&t=936s

Summary:
-Game favors defensive play too much
-Making a game a tie at time out instead of giving it to the player with the most health is lol
-GB counters are too easy
-Warden is the best character because of the interaction between top stance lights and zone attack

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Xeremides posted:

Your wish is their command. They're switching it back to the way it was in beta, so you can pretty much just spam the guard break button to counter.

I'm pretty sure that's not true. They're just adjusting how two guardbreaks interact with each other iirc.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Evil Canadian posted:

I agree with basically all this, although warden is the strongest not because of top light/zone, but the vortex. If those were the only 2 things that mattered then Peacekeeper and Orochi are way better than the Warden at it.

I like the game a lot but there is a lot of flaws like the above for dueling, gear poo poo in 4v4. However I think its a testament to just how plain fun the game is that with all this stuff I see wrong I am still playing it every day. I know at least there is the one balance patch on the way to make Valk less trash, so hopefully they can address these more fundamental issues.

Yeah, no kidding. This game is colossally flawed but I've put 50 hours in it and I'm legitimately upset I have school poo poo to do today and can't play it right now.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

I remember when games were released fully featured and relatively bug free. Ahhh the good old days.

I don't.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Man, when does cool looking armor for the Warlord start dropping? My gear is great but other than my shield I look basic as gently caress.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Rainuwastaken posted:

Cool stuff at 2, the best stuff at 3. Though it bears mentioning that body and arms tend to have less skins than helmets and weapons. I can only assume they will add more in time.

Echoing people saying the game has some seriously busted parts but I am utterly enchanted all the same. Gear doesn't bother me outside of revenge; I am not skilled enough to notice an enemy with 20% more attack power when fully maxed out.

I wish I didn't have to travel this weekend, because I just wanna be a couch potato and play more flailman.

The damage on block stuff seems really strong. Combined with the feat i'm basically just ignoring people's guards with the side lights.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Doltos posted:

Try being Berserker. I saw a 108 geared prestige 4 Berserker today that looked like the starting model for a MMO character.

Lawbringer, Conquerer, and Warden get all the cool gear.

Berserkers get covered in spikes it looks based.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Xeremides posted:

Warlord gets some dope shields. I actually like a lot of the stuff he gets.

Servers are back up btw.

Yeah my shield looks cool and my sword looks okay but my chest and head look 99% identical to what I started with.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is this poo poo still down?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Make lights parryable but unpunishable maybe?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

No, I mean like if you parry a light it just puts you both back at neutral instead of letting the guy who parried get a free GB->Heavy or whatever.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

How is this poo poo still broken come on son

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Still Red NAT here

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

poo poo's still red for me

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Yea Eric Pope posted on Leddit and said the NAT issue has been fixed but it's still hosed.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Servers are up (again), still have a red NAT lmao

pretty bad rear end how this game has been unplayable for close to 8 hours today

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

cams posted:

glad i just bought a used copy of this that i can return because i don't think it will stick with me. even without the gear issue, i just find the 4v4 modes unfun. the fun part of the game is the one on one combat and the clear best way to win the 4v4 modes is to not engage in 1v1 combat whenever possible.

don't know if duels and brawls will be enough to sustain my interest

The fun part of the game is the 1v1 combat, but you don't think the 1v1 mode will sustain your interest. Interesting.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

cams posted:

yes. it is not fun enough for me to spend $60 on it. i played for one day and i'm already losing my interest. it has more depth than most games but i no longer have faith in it as a legit competitive game.

you act like you caught me in some kind of logical fallacy when what i said is fairly straightforward.

okay

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Warlord friends, what gear set-up are you guys running?

Here's what I have so far:

I feel like block damage is really important. If you take the feat that lets you do damage with your lights you basically can't ever lose a 1v1 once you hit level 3. Revenge mode stuff doesn't as good as other classes (it takes about 4 blocked hits to get revenge I think), but considering how good our revenge mode is I think its still better than the alternatives. I want to get a helm with debuff resistance on it for the parry shenanigans, but the only purple gear that drops for me is shields :(

I'll swap out the hilt and blade for throw distance and feat cdr when the revenge nerf happens.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

FunkMonkey posted:

I'll take my ability to fling people clear across the map right now, thanks. The better to cliff you with, my dear.

I feel like every time I've wanted to throw someone into/off of something I've been able to. How much of a benefit does throw distance actually give?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Gunder posted:

If that's true then gear reductions to the throw stat certainly don't seem to exact much of a charge distance penalty. My warlord's throw distance stat is as reduced as possible (for Rep 2) at 76 Gear Score, and can still charge people around for what feels like pretty large distances. I think, on balance, I gain more from Revenge Gain from Injury.

Same. Revenge mode on Warlord is insane, and even in 1v1 duels with gear turned off I'm able to push people basically anywhere I want.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Xeremides posted:

Oh word? You just have to stop it every time to keep from being thrown into a dark chasm?

Thanks, guys.

But it's okay. I already won.

Don't stand near a hole.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

Does purple loot only come out of purchased packs or scavenger crates once you hit rep 3, or can it drop after a match?

It's dropped for me after rank 3, but it is rare.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If they really wanted to make gear matter they should tie the feats to gear. Then you could put on certain stuff and have certain feats. Base players would have base (easy to use) feats.

Obviously they would need more feats for each character but the Gear could have different cosmetic effects (i.e. the bombs look different, the smoke is a different color) and so that would be kinda fun.

Just allow gear in 1v1. Poors don't deserve fair fights.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The big dirty secret of most competitive games (including this one) is that for the vast majority of the population playing, 99% of the time they lose is because they hosed up and poo poo like gear and character match ups had very little to do with it.

The number of Lawbringer players crying on Reddit about the PK/Orochi buffs is lmao

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

SoggyGravy posted:

As someone who games a lot but is not hardcore because time constrictions and such let me tell you that it is frustrating watching the matchmaker pit you in match after match where you are gear score 16 or 18 and the enemy is 74 or 89 or 106. There is a difference, it is frustrating and it is poor game design decision to have it occur so frequently.

If it's any consolation the other team is having twice as much fun so it all evens out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Gear isn't really an issue unless it's whatever high level people are doing to be able to pop revenge after blocking two or three hits. Revenge in general is kind of a dumb mechanic and makes fighting a high prestige player feel like you're up against some bullshit fighting game boss that revives themselves and comes back stronger when you kill them.

You can play around the revenge gear builds by just not ganging up on them tbh. They still get it faster even in a 1v1 but it's a lot more manageable.