Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
This also seem ripe for high quality expansions. There are a tons of awesome historical warriors you can mine for 4 flavorful characters per side. Romance of the Three Kingdoms era China, the Mughal empire, hell, let's get some Pacific Northwest warriors out on the battlefield with 50 pound solid hardwood helmets tough enough to deflect bullets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Hello, please produce a female raider dakimakura kthnx.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

I like a woman who can sweep me up in her arms (and throw me off a cliff).

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I had already planned to go with a black female raider. My fetish is very specific yall.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Hey hey hey! It's time for Viking facts!

Did you know that the thread title is inaccurate? Vikings generally washed once a week which was an extreme level of hygiene for the time. In fact the original meaning of Scandinavian words for Saturday (laurdag / lørdag / lördag) was ‘Washing Day’. Here's a contemporary writing from the Abbot of St. Albans.

quote:

Thanks to their habit of combing their hair every day, of bathing every Saturday and regularly changing their clothes, were able to undermine the virtue of married women and even seduce the daughters of nobles to be their mistresses.

So there you have it. Only the Knights smell like butt.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Ohh man.. I might have to play Conqueror too now that I have seen their emotes. I want to play with my flail like a SkipIT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRupu0wghus

28 seconds in.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

What if I strictly play as a black female Kensei?
Hmm... maybe

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Hey, looks like For Honor got the Man At Arms crew to make the Kensei's Nodachi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbSrnjNGBdA

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
They may drop them in for testing in the later days of the open beta.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
A bit late on the emblem chat, I was choppin dudes.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
More emblem fun.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
And occasionally dispense a new emblem or hat or whatever.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Jesus...

This one was pretty obvious in retrospect. It also looks really good in game.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Doing the tutorial gives you enough steel to unlock like 6 of them anyway.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Do the tutorials man. They explain a lot of poo poo.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I finally figured out how to gently caress up Nobushis on my Raider. Pretty much all their quick attacks are very thrust oriented and can be side stepped into a stunning tap. It was a good series of duals to end the beta on.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The Raider has the dash guardbreak, but their actual throws, non carry, aren't that much better than other characters. This means that the only long distance hazard you have to keep in mind is directly behind you. The carry lasts a long time, but you can't really steer it.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Captain Beans posted:

I played a 4v4 deathmatch where like 4 players on either team were the Raider so all match you just hear him doing the shout for his unblockable over and over across the whole map it was pretty great. Dominion has a bunch of ambient explosions but 4v4 deathmatch is pretty quiet.

Speaking of the voices: Do knights speak in latin? Vikings speak russian?

Knights speak Latin. The only one I actually understand is PERI! which is the imperative form of DIE! Root of perish.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

panda clue posted:

Knights won the faction thing btw, so you picked knight grats, you get a sick border emblem thing:

Honestly, the best border would just be a simple smooth rim of gold or silver. Fancy crap like that looks terrible when it gets applied to cloth or other rough materials.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Doubtful. It was pretty much the same through nearly every day of the Open Beta. We'd get clubbed to hell at night, then I'd wake up and we'd be in control again, or drat near.

Just seems to be an outcome of who's playing in what time zones.

Last night the Samurai were kicking the living hell out of everyone.

I think it's a product of the short campaign since this was only a 4 day beta. Presumably over 3 months the swings will even out a bit.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

It's kind of a dumb article but they're not wrong that it's probably worth paying attention when it's used and how it's used because much like people who use swastikas in games frequently aren't actually being ironic at all, there is an actual correlation to lovely people :v:

Especially since a lot of it originated from the Paradox community and yeah, lots of them are literal Nazis.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
You might be able to run whatever controller you're using through x360ce and swap up the inputs there. I'm still using an old original xbox controller with the white and black buttons, so I can just remap poo poo through the XBCD driver.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Ohh looks like they're doing a Man at Arms video for each faction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WBV3FIUrSk

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Perestroika posted:

Oh, neat. Here's hoping they make either a flail or the poleaxe when it comes to the knights. :neckbeard:

Since the first two were for the Vanguards, I'd expect the last one would be the Warden's longsword.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
It's the only way to maintain purity. After all, if you've ever owned or played a console, even at a friends house, you are irrevocably stained and polluted.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Watching a guy who sunk cash to buy the mythic Warden set. It loving gives him flaming angel wings :regd09:

Are all the mythic sets this ridiculous?

The vikings get electricity arcing around their bodies.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Psycho Society posted:

Can you interrupt it with a guard break or attack?

Guard break no. Attack only if his hyper armor is down. I actually got insta killed by the back breaker because even though he started the attack at half health, my heavy took him down to almost nothing but didn't phase him due to his hyperarmor. They really should change it to only work if you START the attack in the red zone.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I feel like Lawbringer is pretty good because he recovers so fast from parries that it's REALLY difficult to punish him. So do safe attacks from long range and then escape unharmed even if you gently caress up and then punish their attacks. This is mostly from my perspective of playing against a good LB as a Raider. He recovers fast enough that you can't get a guaranteed GB after parry if they're good, which is a big part of how Raiders get hits in.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
For anyone interested in Lawbringer, here's a video of guy who won a big1v1 tourney playing him versus another high level player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nrUoGcNfxM

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Zzulu posted:

the quality of players at launch is also much higher than it was during the betas... people are dodging and blocking so much better now

Actually, they carried player stats over from the betas. If you played well in the betas your skill level is matching you with other good people.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Exmond posted:

Yes. If you have no stamina if someone parries you you will be knocked down.

Being exhausted doesn't change the way you can defend though, which I think is the problem.

One thing it does change is that you can't feint anymore. If I'm fighting a good player on my raider, what I like to do is start up an unblockable attack and then cancel it. A lot of the time they'll have already started up their heavy attack to parry it but they can't take it back and the animation is super slow and I can counter parry it to knock em on their rear end.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Minorkos posted:

except the only one that's really affected is just regular attacking

even guard break is still somewhat fast despite full stamina loss. dodging, parrying, blocking, rolling, guard break cancelling etc. are all unaffected so there's no real downside to temporarily running out of stamina as long as your defense game is good

it's ironic that you'd complain about false information when you're basically handing out some yourself in the same post

You're wrong on several points here. Rolling is completely disabled. Parrying works, but you can't cancel a parry if they feint which leads to a slowified heavy which leads to you lying on the ground taking bonus damage.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

That reminds me, who other than Warden has a good zone attack for mixing into regular fights? I've had some success with the Zerker spin, but who else?

Not 110% sure on everyone, but the Kensei spin zone has such long range that its almost perfectly safe if you're the right distance from your opponent. It also has hyperarmor. The Valk is interesting because it's a quick attack from one side to the other and you can cancel the second one.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
More Lawbringer chat. TrueTalent (not using the dumb numbers) just put out his In the lab with Lawbringer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EC_gvySBWM

Conclusion? Play him like a bully and shove people around and keep them out of stamina.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6aZsGcOq4U

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 16, 2017

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Sultan Tarquin posted:

The thing is that making them stamina starved doesn't really do anything. Even when they're out of stamina they can block, parry and dodge your slow attacks, charges and long arm.

I'm sorry but you're just wrong here. Being out of stamina sucks and makes you very vulnerable.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
If you play perfectly you win is both true and utterly meaningless.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Evil Canadian posted:

Ok I gotta stop doing this to myself where I find out new poo poo literally after I post, but the raider unblockable is actually completely guaranteed after a guard break. It takes like 70% of your stam to do so but its more than a light attack anyway(but still less than most other peoples heavy attacks, naturally).

I think there might be a super small window if you go GB -> ZA, but if you go GB -> Carry Ground Toss -> ZA it's completely safe. But yeah, unless I'm close to full stam I usually try to take em to the wall for a stun into light combo.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

So are you always guaranteed a free guard break after a parry?

No. Some characters recover faster and some have enough range that you cant get in in time.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Minorkos posted:

i can just beat my opponents by making them die of malnutrition irl when they tire themselves out trying to attack my impenetrable defense

i only really bought the game because i knew i could get a refund. i want the game to be good so bad and i'm hoping ubisoft starts paying attention to people discussing the obscene bias the game has on defensive play so that it may some day be nerfed and i can buy the game for real. i loved the game during the beta but it just has the gameplay depth of a game of tic-tac-toe and that really bothers me

So real talk, why are you not tearing up the scoreboards and getting esports contracts if you play perfectly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Nah, I like death hazards, but I think some of the maps go overboard with them.

I think the geysers are actually perfectly fine. The map itself allows you to maneuver around them and being tossed into one is only an instakill if you land right inside it as it erupts. Just brushing against it only takes away like half HP. Which sucks, but is a lot better than just losing the map outright. Plus the whole timing element means landing a geyser kill isn't so simple.

But then there's poo poo like the narrow forest bridge. If someone wants to fight on the bridge, the first guard break wins.

Geysers also instant kill if you throw people into active ones. Be like the raider. Don't skip leg day.