Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Tiers don't matter that much in this game. The characters are all so simple and down to basics, the player who wins is whoever does the best mixups and reads.

Good players can win with valk or aramusha easy. Tier is mostly psychological.

True, but there is a difference in effort and time you need to get anywhere. Way back near release I went through all the characters one by one to get them to reputation 1 each, and ended up going directly from pre-patch Valk to Orochi. The difference in effort was insane. With Valk I had to pull out all the stops to get anywhere, going through feints and mixups and wallbangs and whatnot just to sloowly whittle down a guy. Meanwhile with Orochi I more or less just had to slam light attack a few times and maybe the occasional dodge and ZA and people just evaporated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

BBQ Dave posted:

So I’m maining warden and mostly playing breach. I’ve mostly been hanging out by the ram, killing pikemen and boosting troops. This is good right?

That's good, but you also shouldn't neglect the archer points. Having control of those tends to kill pikemen really quick, freeing you up to get the banner and help your teammates elsewhere.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Is it just me or is the dodge timing against Black Prior's follow-up shield bash pretty drat tight? If I slam dodge the moment I get out of block/injury recovery for the initial attack it will hit me because I dodged too early, but if I hesitate even a moment I also still tend to get hit. By comparison it seems way easier to dodge stuff like Conq shield bash or Fat Man headbutt.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Got around to playing a couple rounds after a longer break, trying the new creepy axe lady. So far she actually seems both fun and good! She feels similar to Shugoki with lots of ways to get super armour and unblockables, plus a decent few mixups involving kicks and sweeps. Her main weakness seems to be opening up from neutral, but you can sort of circumvent that by missing on purpose, and in return the damage of some of those unblockables is insane. I also love how her feats are built around executions, and her level four feat attack is just dirty as gently caress and I love it:

https://i.imgur.com/juBvIpH.mp4
:allears:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of, Jormungandr is pretty fun, if a bit one-note. Basically her deal is that she's got an unblockable kidney punch that she can do as a mixup in combos, from neutral, or after a guardbreak. If it hits, it causes light stagger and significant stamina damage, and will prone enemies that are out of stamina. Once that happens, she's got a special hammer slam available against prone enemies that does pretty ludicrous damage. Apart from that she's got a bunch of modifiers on her regular attacks, such as uninterruptible heavy openers, unblockable heavy finishers, and undodgeable light finishers. So the general gameplan is to put constant pressure on your opponent with your mixups and fishing for that knockdown, which is a near-guaranteed win if it happens. In a way she's a bit like Centurion, except not quite as aggravating to be on the receiving end of. At least so far :v:.