Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

I think I wanna play this game as long as Ubisoft doesn't gently caress it with some massively gay micro transaction bullshit.

good luck with this, they already baldfaced lied to people and walked back online requirements so now you need to log into their dipshit Uplay for even singleplayer and need constant server connection. zero reaso for this so I'm just going to assume Ubisfot continues to gently caress an otherwise great idea in the rear end til release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

this game is way fun playing with friends, I just hope more modes maps and characters keep getting released at a decent clip

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'd want to see maybe 5 or 6 player teams but I suppose that'd be too chaotic

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I sit in queue for 1v1 for 10 minutes and get nothing

I get a 2v2 match in 10 seconds. On the first round, my partner accuses the team of having no honor and I get stuck with a bot after he leaves.

If anything kills this game its gonna be this.

lol at "you have no honor" because this game should be called anything but "For Honor." my friends and I are the biggest assholes in this, whether it's ganking a 1v1 with a jumping superman punch or sliding down a ladder to kill someone with an rear end slam, there is zero honor in this loving game and I love it

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

is there any use, in a 4v4, for staying in A or C to "boost" the points.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

1) Having any team member stand at A or C increases the point gain per tick from +1 to +2 on your team score. This is a binary modifier, no stacking.

2) Anyone who is boosting a point gets a gradual renown gain while doing so (this gives you in-game "exp" towards unlocking feats).

3) "Heavy" class characters get significantly more renown from part 2 (but are the same as anyone else for part 1) and can unlock feats quite quickly by doing so.

Yeah I got that, did that as one of the big guys, I just felt bad defending the point whilst my team was 3v4 but maybe I was also dumb for not going back and forth between clearing B and defending C

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

just figured out how to deflect poo poo as Assassin characters and it makes a whole lotta difference

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

FunkMonkey posted:

Continuing the fighting game comparisons: high rank/renown players dropping out of the match just before it ends in a victory for my rank 6 butt. I have to believe it still counts as a loss on your precious record, you babies.

the amount of teams that go 0-2 and then spend a round sprinting away like loving wimps constantly is annoying as gently caress

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

bear is driving! posted:

This game is pretty bad overall. The only people I see getting salty are the ones trying to defend it.

lol coming from a guy who said "i dont even want to bother learning how to play because you just mash buttons to win"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Balance chat: was watching some guy stream as an Orochi. The whole time he was complaining that Orochi is very bad must be buffed. When asked why he didn't play another character he said "I'm gonna get pro as Orochi while they are weak, then once once Ubisoft buffs them I will be a GOD because I'll be the only one who practiced with them!!!"

Had a little chuckle.

Orochi is good with their little feints and dash slashes and deflects and double high-slash poo poo but if you do it too often people just block high at all your poo poo. Went against a team that had like 3 Orochis and I just casually held Up and matrix-blocked all their poo poo.

I haven't thought any character is tremendously better than all others yet since I've been hosed up by all of them at some point but also did well with those same heroes. Nobushi and Peacemaker are loving annoying though since many players just wimp out and waste everyone's time by running in circles, even when the rest of their team was executed.

If I had to say one thing that pissed me off more than most it would be the shouldercharges from Warden or freight train charge from Conquerer. If you don't see that guy coming then you're getting pushed on your rear end and stabbed forever.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Nechronic posted:

As for the price point, I agree that it feels steep. I'm taking the plunge on Valentines day because I had a great time and clearly I haven't learned anything from when I got burned on The Division (a game that is now cool and good as opposed to the poorly designed mess it was at release). I really enjoy the aesthetics and the action and I hope to play this game for a long time.

Yeah 60 is rough for even this which is why I'll probably be dumping some trade in stuff to cut it down to 40. If you can't get the game for around 45 dollars and/or have less than 3 friends to play with then I'd say it's a rough sell.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

maybe it's just because my friends and I picked Conqueror/Warlord combos a lot but Nobushi and Peacekeepers routinely couldn't keep up the bleed damage with the super-armor beefcake haymakers we were throwing out. The tiny healthpools were no match for fullguard followed by leaping superman punches, which are the best punches

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Challenge accepted:

http://kotaku.com/5964584/how-diablo-iii-told-me-my-marriage-was-over

Read that and tell me it isn't worse.

LOL I forgot about this, thank you. it can enter the hallowed halls of bad game articles alongside 90% of polygon

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

holy poo poo I can't wait to sit on people to death

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I love Dominion, 4v4 elimination, 2v2, 1v1, it's all cool poo poo. personally love dominion especially when I play with 4 other friends and we just gently caress up and poo poo-talk constantly. Other modes you occasionally get "runners" but it doesn't matter. We always end up loving them up in the end.

IDK why people think running away endlessly, even to gather powerups, is a legit strategy when we can 1) destroy your other teammates while you're bitching out or 2) just eventually get you when/if the rest of the team has been executed

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Gamestop had no copies left in two locations which is kind of mindblowing

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I don't think some people know how Dominion works. Even though the other team had two guys with like 15 kills, they still lost by like 500 points because they were too busy playing call of duty rules with k/d ratio as the primary aspect. then once they were breaking we devoured them and pushed them all off a cliff.

How the gently caress do I fight Shugoki, his super armor shakes off all my poo poo. Also what's the best way to kill those loving Nobushis because their combos are way too fast. I've resorted to just hoping I picked a character like Lawbringer and infinitely use charge moves on a Nobushi to corral her all day into walls.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

gently caress it I'm feeling brave. Bought a copy on PSN and it should be downloaded in 3 hours. I just can't pass up a directional, tactical sword fighting game.

you should be fine, like others have said there will always be uber-skilled people but also a load of people on the middle ground. The modes are diverse enough to cater to everyone i.e. Dominion giving you chances to do things other than 1v1, Elimination group matches giving you chances to team up and be a rotten scoundrel, straight up 1V1 stuff, and you can even match up against AI bots of varying difficulty which is still enjoyable.

Worst comes to worst you'll probably be with some ubergod person on your team half the time who can help carry your rear end. Even the lowest tier players can win against swordmasters with charge moves and good grabs. Also use the Vs AI modes and lvl 3 duels to practice things like parries, proper counters, etc because practicing for a day or two will make a big difference.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

FunkMonkey posted:

I always kind of thought that the whole notion of "honorable" behavior in this game was more of a snide joke than a real issue, but I spent most of yesterday evening doing 4v4 with some people on the Discord and holy loving moley I guess a lot of people take it really seriously? The mind boggles.

LOL if anyone thinks there is honor beyond the ironic game title. 4V4 matches I was in usually had a 25% chance of the guy I was about to duel hightailing it away so he could help tripleteam another guy. Sometimes it's annoying to chase people but most of the time it results in teams splintering off or ignoring points in Dominion/revives in Elimination.

I almost wish I had the PC version to experience the salt that people have, though on PS4 the amount of angry fuckers leaving a match after getting immediately spitroasted by a double-team of Warlords is wide. It's pretty funny.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

UberJew posted:

On basically every 4v4 elimination there is a powerup directly behind where you spawn. I start every single round by turning around and booking it for the nearest one. And then I'll duel if the person chased me because I've now got bonus health or damage and they don't. A lot of the time I'll still lose because I'm really bad but damnit you have to try

Personally I love this because it gives me a good opportunity to get off a running stab or tackle as they stand in the powerup icon like a doofus. I had one guy running all over the map collecting powerups until 3 of us were sick of his poo poo and intercepted him

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Fuzz posted:

Make sure you shout, "FOR HONOR!" when you do it.

lol I'm going to do this now

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

Some website somewhere made a thing or something. :q:

https://rankedboost.com/for-honor/tier-list-best-classes/

lol this game has been out like a total of 5 days including open beta. "these characters are easy to play so therefore god tier" loving genius.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

after playing every character I can't see any sane reason to choose Lawbringer over most of them, he needs his poo poo moveset retooled badly. even the Raider has a better running tackle.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

So the problem with Lawbringer is that like 80% of his moveset is a trap.Trying to use most of it will get you killed.

so, he's a character that was designed by a loving moron. It would be cool if half his moveset wasn't useless and wasn't super-passive; if you want to just shove people, might as well pick Warden or another big guy. Right now when going up against scrappy characters like any Samurai or Peacemaker, the toolset isn't that great and the weapon range doesn't make up for the slow speed.

Honestly when your skillset boils down to "your combos are bad and so are your parries and only use like 3 things" there's something wrong there. Playing defensively is more fun with the two shieldbros who can go Full Defense in a pinch.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Pruney posted:

They don't seem to have bothered with LB in the upcoming patch too. Just Valk buffs

what was that change related to guardbreaks? were we not able to counter those before?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Its more fun to do a series of duels than just ganking people and them hoping they can abuse revenge enough to beat both of you.

2v1 kills don't feel satisfying, and killing people by abusing revenge is kinda silly (although sometimes feels good)
Meanwhile a good proper 1v1 in this game feels like cocaine.

Really though its Ubisoft's fault for not implementing what absolutely should have been a release game mode.

Like at least 20 goons have posted in this thread saying "why is there no duel lobby mode?" its painfully obvious that they should have done it. I don't know what the gently caress was going on over at Ubisoft. Rushing to push the thing out the door, I guess. Hopefully we can get a duel lobby mode in the near future, and then people will shut up about honorabu fighting and just play that if they want duels.

every game mode except 1v1 is potentially straight up garbage. Dominion boils down to "hunt in a pack of 3 or 4 constantly to win every time" and Elimination is basically "run away constantly to gang up on others / also run for a fucken hour if you're about to die" and both of these things are fatiguing as gently caress. If I didn't pay like 5 bux for this game I'd be pissed as poo poo. I can't imagine paying 60 dollars for this in a zillion years. I too wish there was a lobby and the wait between matches for 1v1 wasn't so goddamn long and cumbersome but oh well, maybe like most Ubisoft games the sequel will get it right.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Duck and Cover posted:

Why do game companies create fun games only to bury it in so much poo poo that the experience becomes unenjoyable?

welcome to the Ubisoft experience.

What's the best way to kill Nobushis with Conqueror/Warlords? Need tips to use my heavy dudes against the bleed pokes. Warlord I'm pretty good with smashing them with unblockable overhead and countering with the shield, though.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the best part of this game is when you have 2 "honorable" 2v2 brawls wherein one dude waits for his partner to die before jumping in, but then on the 3rd match they decide to throw it all out the window in desperation and then still lose again, which owned

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

dominion being dependent on gear poo poo makes it that much more unappealing to play. I only play the game maybe a few hours a week so I'd never catch up to the level loving 80 shitsockers who have a screw loose

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Aesis posted:

Probably sprint stat gear. I can chase down Assassin classes without problem when I have it on my Warden. The only game mode that isn't affected by gear stat is 1v1 Duel afaik.

This.

Wait, 4v4 Elimination, Skirmish, and 2v2 all use gear stats? jfc that is awful if true

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Just any 4v4 mode I believe

I guess that explains why I've had a bad time in most 4v4 elimination and skirmish poo poo

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dezztroy posted:

Conqueror doesn't have a huge moveset but what he does have is solid. He's far from the worst in the game, that title belongs to the Raider. Or maybe Lawbringer, depends who you ask.

I'd def put Lawbringer on the bottom because you have to be passive and depend on mistakes and his moveset loving sucks. Raider I can use but his moveset just seems so limited. I just stick to his light attacks because no one is stupid enough to get tackled. He just has nothing special going for him while Kensei has some technical poo poo and Warden is just braindead easy-tier.

I had a game vs AI wherein like 3 loving people dropped in and out. It's a loving AI game look just because you died once doesn't mean you have to disconnect in anger, jesus. The amount of people who quit after being thrown into a pit is astronomical.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Zzulu posted:

Raider is one of the strongest classes in dominion tbh

His unblockable alone is gold but his tackles become so much better in multiple person engagements as well

dominion is the broken brained gangbang mode so I don't put too much stock in how classes do in it. Anyone can do well if you're constantly in a pack and backstabbing dudes, I just run at people and do my leap attack with Zerker and Warlord constantly

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

So the slower heavy characters have worse dodging and mobility and worse guarding. That seems fundamentally flawed.

lol this explains why Lawbringer and Raider suck so bad. Shugoki gets away ok though because of super armor and the backbreaker and generally good attacks, and Nobushi is just quick as poo poo, has bleeds, hidden stance, etc. Raider and Lawbringer don't have dick.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Nasgate posted:

Raider dodge into light is wicked fast and far better than a block or parry for setups.

setup to what? I'd rather just pick orochi, berserker, kensei, and peacekeeper if I loved to used dodge attacks over parry + have other tricks. Raider needs some other cool moves that don't lose in an exchange

signalnoise posted:

It makes no sense to me that these should be my two favorite classes

I love playing as Raider just for his skullmask and gear but in 1v1 or 2v2 I feel it's more work to play as him. Lawbringer though I wish was more like Kensei

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 24, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Pearnicious posted:

Same, but too many people would freak the gently caress out at being denied the gear they worked for.

people will still play regardless. for gently caress's sake Destiny reworked its entire loving economy like 3 times and people still blindly played that piece of poo poo for 3 years

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

:agreed:

Great gameplay, lovely game.

"great gameplay poo poo game" seems accurate given you can't even make loving lobbies and if I want to select a new MP mode, I have to quit back to the loving title and then see Low Activity on almost everything. A shame they didn't think more about other game modes or UI improvements. With all the other games that came out recently and the continuing onslaught of them all the way to June, it's gonna be rough on the activity portion for certain modes

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Totally right. It might be a bit early to make this call, but I can safely say that Ubisoft's For Honor will go down in history as one of the great competitive games of this or any generation. It's just attracted such dedicated, passionate fans, and in such great numbers. The balance of the game is just top notch, and much like the classics I can see it being played for decades to come, inspiring generations of new gamers with its innovative play style and unmatched polish. In my mind, the perfectly balanced video games would be:

Starcraft

For Honor

Counterstrike

LOL thank you for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm curious to see if that 10k "boycott" of For Honor actually happens, because it won't loving matter. They have your money, just like all the other multiplayer games they muddled and people realized after a month that things like transactions/servers/content were not really improving. Ubisoft will never fix poo poo though because why bother? they make impossibly good sales from their games every single time. poo poo, For Honor alone was sold out of Amazon the day before.