Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Pretty upset my favorite characters are the ones that aren't available in the beta. :(

I'll probably pick this game up on sale. $60 is steep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I'm a little late to the party because I haven't been following this since the last tech test, but I have 3 invites for anyone who wants to get in for today/tomorrow. First come first serve obviously. More of you nerds need to be in mumble chopping mans.

Add me on uplay: FreshSheshBesh

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Still plenty of room for goons to stab mans in mumble just sayin'.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

NeurosisHead posted:

I'd like that a lot if the offer is still there! You can PM it to me here, uPlay name is the same as on SA too. Thanks in advance!

I gave you an invite. You don't need another one. But you're ignoring me on uplay.

Check the spam filter of your email, and the "promotions" tab if you're using gmail.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 29, 2017

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Looks like there's going to be an open beta from the 9th-12th bois. Get yer choppers ready.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Internet inexplicably died yesterday for myself and my neighbors with the same ISP. There's a good chance it won't be back for a few days. Just in time for the beta to end...

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Plenty of room in mumble to chop mans just sayin'.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

loving uplay overlay keeps the mouse on screen even during matches and it's the most distracting poo poo.

Also glad to see group matchmaking is utterly hosed and lobbies drop rather than trying to find new players.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 10, 2017

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Please play with me so I don't have to chop mans alone.

Uplay: FreshSheshBesh

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

You guys are right. Dropping the 7 other players, replacing them all with full hp bots, then letting all new players in, then hanging on the synchronize is totally forgivable. Players not being able to join matches in between rounds, and then dropping everyone who's in the lobby because there aren't enough players is totally forgivable. Splitting groups of friends after nearly every match is also totally forgivable. Because normal folk just don't get how hard it is to make stuff work sometimes!

I don't need to know exactly how cars work to know they shouldn't work, and I don't need to direct movies to know when a movie is lovely.

Not that For Honor is lovely, it's Fun and Good and I'm enjoying it a lot and I'll buy it. However, it's bordering on unplayable sometimes.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 10, 2017

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Man the knightly order is getting our asses handed to us. No holy land for us.

Also ITT goons who want to debate the game but never actually play with each other. I'm willing to duel anyone who wants to learn the game better or discuss tactics but the mumble channel is empty.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 11, 2017

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

MinibarMatchman posted:

is there any use, in a 4v4, for staying in A or C to "boost" the points.

It's actually really important, especially for the Heavy class characters.

Your team starts gaining 2 points per second instead of 1 for that zone. They start adding up fast.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Friendly reminder that you can play with fellow goons and have a very Fun and Good time instead of being a nerd and playing by yourself.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

Is there a group

Well for whatever reason goons like to make roughly 5 discords for every game for reasons unknown, so I don't have any info on those. But if you hop in the mumble there have been 2-3 of us playing each day of the beta.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Just hit prestige rank 1 on my zerker and got my first 2 blue (rare) gear items. Feels good man.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Psycho Society posted:

It seems like a good portion of the time blocking an attack from orochi or berserker doesn't do much if they have just dodged. Can they jump around blocks?

Nope. You're just being slower than you think or something else is going wrong.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Beta was good except for the entire SA thread of goons who wouldn't even toy with the thought of playing together.

Every hero is fun. Zerker is more fun than the other assassins, but they're leagues better than zerker at their core.

Definitely buying at a discount but there's not nearly enough to warrant paying $60 of my ding dong dollars on this. I'm also kind of turned off by the sea of mongoloids defending peacekeeper and nobushi as "definitely balanced as long as you know how to fight them".

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Garrand posted:

Nobushi? The gently caress? I've never even touched Nobushi but I destroy every one I see. In what possible way could they be considered OP? Or are you saying they're underpowered?

Nobushi's entire kit is designed around playing keep away. So you'd think her weakness is getting close to her, but it's really more of a mild inconvenience to her because she has plenty of tools to make space again. Getting parried as Nobushi is also completely safe because it puts you out of range of grabs and most attacks.

Just because there a lot of bad players who play a certain character doesn't mean the character doesn't need to be tweaked. She's disproportionately more soul-draining to fight than nearly any other hero. Anyone who says she's not that bad honestly hasn't played very much and they're opinions are bad.

I don't think anyone is monstrously overpowered, but there's a couple things about PK and Nobushi that place them at S-tier considering player skill is equal.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Played an obscene amount, pretty much all day every day since Thursday. Prestiged Warden and Nobushi and I feel like these are the strongest heroes.

God tier: Peacekeeper, Orochi
High tier: Warden, Nobushi, Warlord
Okay tier: Kensei, raider
average: Conqueror, Berserker

A good PK & Orochi will completely loving wreck anything you try to bring to the table. The tools they have are better than anyone else combined with instant heavy feints and the fastest light attacks in the game.

This guy loving gets it. The thing about PK for me is that if she just throws out random lights, it's basically impossible to consistently block them even for a good player. Compare to the Berserker whose light attacks can be parried by particularly quick enemies. Plenty of salt from me this beta.

Also consider this another shitpost complaining about how no goons would come play with me for the beta. But seriously, the game is very fun with a group. Even a group of internet weirdos. Dueling with someone you're actively talking to is a really good way to learn about game mechanics and strategies. Gangbanging pubbies and harvesting honorific tears is also a blast.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 13, 2017

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Friendly reminder that you guys should branch out of your comfort zone and actually play online with other goons. It's fun and you learn stuff. I'll be preordering off GMG tonight for that yummy discount.

pls

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Let me put your minds at ease friends. If friended I promise I'll match anyone's weeb in order to make you feel comfortable. My uplay handle is FreshSheshBesh.

Seriously, playing any group mode with pubs is awful and nearly all of the goons I've played For Honor with have been totally acceptable humans.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Dismantling 45 pieces of equipment is a particularly lovely experience because each one takes a few seconds for literally no reason.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Haroshia posted:

Watching Strippin play Lawbringer right now. He's bitching constantly because of who he is, mostly because Lawbringer doesn't seem to have many super strong followups to his stuff like people are saying...HOWEVER he drains stamina like a motherfucker with his shoves. The move seems to be defensive and get rid of their stamina, then gently caress them.

He's talking very matter of fact-ly about matchups, but he honestly doesn't seem to have a very good grasp of basic mechanics. Maybe it's just that he's not well versed with Lawbringer.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

DrBox posted:

When I did the tutorials again last night I noticed that the timing was different, yeah. I had to wait till the guy actually grabbed me before hammering the X button. If I hit it the instant I saw the red shield, it wouldn't counter.

This has always been the case in the open and closed betas. The timing hasn't changed.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I'll happily sit and duel anyone who wants to grind out the basics. Playing against bots can only take you so far and it helps to have someone sitting and explaining things to you. You also have a little bit more control because you can't tell bots what you want to practice. The mumble has some Nice and Cozy channels for all good goons to enjoy.

Then we can play together because playing Dominion with pubbies makes me want to vomit.

uplay: FreshSheshBesh

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Magical Zero posted:

Judging from a few streams it seems like Lawbringer really, really shits on enemy stamina. I don't think he'll be considered underpowered for much longer.

This would be more relevant if stamina actually mattered. Running out really isn't even an inconvenience because it doesn't stop you from doing anything important.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

The Gate posted:

If you get shoved at no stamina you fall down. The Lawbringer unblockable shoves a lot and drains lots of stamina.

This would be more relevant if Lawbringer's unblockable shoves weren't piss easy to dodge due to their short range. Sure you can get an easy parry but they won't be attacking until their stamina has returned.

I'm not saying Lawbringer sucks or whatever. I think he's cool, but the same people saying "don't jump the gun and say he sucks!" are jumping the gun and acting like what he's good at (draining stamina) actually makes a difference.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

So much 100% false information in this thread. Jesus.

Running out of stamina really really matters, every one of your animations is massively slowed down until you fill it back up again.

How are you this retarded? Sorry people aren't in love with the same hero as you. There is nothing false about what I said.

Exhaustion really, really doesn't matter. No, being forced to be defensive for a period really doesn't have much of a downside. It's an extremely short period of time. You're correct that nobody can guard/parry perfectly 100% of the time, however unless you have literal poo poo for brains you can manage it the vast majority of the time. Stop getting worked up over people disagreeing with your demonstrably crappy opinion.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 15, 2017

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

For the record whoever said Lawbringer's unblockable shove knocks people down, it doesn't. Even when they're exhausted or are made exhausted by the shove. Guardbreak throws still do obviously, but that's something else entirely.

I decided to test it for a little while because it didn't sound right, which it wasn't. Although it'd be cool if it did work that way.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Dreylad posted:

It's like they meant to give Valk bleed but forgot to put it in.

Not saying the fix to her is to give her more bleeds.

She actually did have bleed in one of the Tech Tests.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

7c Nickel posted:

I'm sorry but you're just wrong here. Being out of stamina sucks and makes you very vulnerable.

Found another for the lovely opinion pile.

Exhaustion is not punishing. Full stop.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

panda clue posted:

Good argument!

7c Nickel posted:

If you play perfectly you win is both true and utterly meaningless.

It really has nothing to do with playing perfectly, and I said nothing about that anyway. Unless you have a particularly bad round, exhaustion is not that bad. Yeah, you're right, SOMETIMES you get caught out or aren't quick enough. This doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of the time you can work around it without much trouble. I get that having thick skulls makes this difficult to understand, but something happening sometimes doesn't make it particularly relevant.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

panda clue posted:

Man you are trying way too hard to be an edgelord and you're just coming off as a moronic jackass. No one thinks you're clever for attaching unfunny insults to each of your posts. Don't speak in stupid absolutes if you don't want to get called out; there are obviously situations where someone can seriously punish you if you're stamina is drained.

Literally nobody disagreed that it can't happen sometimes (except Minorkos who I'm not convinced is a real person) and I fully acknowledged that it is a possibility. I legitimately can't tell if you're being intentionally obtuse at this point. You can comfortably play defensively without stamina and the few times you slip up will be a blip on your record in the long run. When evaluating a match you're never going to say say "oh man, if only I'd played the stamina game more aggressively I might have won that". It's practically a placeholder mechanic right now until it's tweaked. That was the only point. Nothing more. Glad we settled that.

Anyway I had a Shugoki mirror match today which was interesting to say the least. Nobody could charge or bearhug because the passive just eats it. Just a whole lot of waddling until someone gets a parry and hits that home run right into the pit. Something I hope they change is the fact that guardbreak disables his passive even if he counters which essentially makes it free to do. It really lets people put the pressure on since he takes bonus damage while it's down. It recharges fast enough that it's not the end of the world, but it sure is a pain in the rear end.

I also encountered a peacekeeper with sprint speed contesting a point I was on and just running circles around the point. She couldn't move me off but I couldn't move her either so it was just a big lovely stalemate until someone came to help dislodge her. Combat rolls seem to dodge literally everything.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Given how strong parries are right now, Shugoki is probably one of the weaker heroes once people figure out how to work around your passive. Berserker is probably the weakest assassin. Incidentally they're both my favorite classes. Not bad in terms of raw killing power, but once you figure out how to deal with them they have a rough time getting anything done.

You should play them both because they're cool.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

MinibarMatchman posted:

I don't think some people know how Dominion works. Even though the other team had two guys with like 15 kills, they still lost by like 500 points because they were too busy playing call of duty rules with k/d ratio as the primary aspect. then once they were breaking we devoured them and pushed them all off a cliff.

How the gently caress do I fight Shugoki, his super armor shakes off all my poo poo. Also what's the best way to kill those loving Nobushis because their combos are way too fast. I've resorted to just hoping I picked a character like Lawbringer and infinitely use charge moves on a Nobushi to corral her all day into walls.

For Shugoki guard break him to drop his armor if you're finding it too hard to poke through. This works even if he counters so there's not really a reason not to. Then you can play more offensively and parry the gently caress out of him and be ready to sidestep his bear hug.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 16, 2017

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

So are you always guaranteed a free guard break after a parry?

No, some characters like Nobushi and Kensei will be parried out of range of your guard break.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

You'll do more than tie since parries are extremely high reward maneuvers.

"Bots are better than most players you'll ever face."

"You can never have a perfect defense. 1 out of 10 times you might mess up, and that's worth accounting for!"

"lol he only played against a bot, try again noob."

"Okay so you had a perfect defense, but the joke is on you because the goal post is over HERE now!"

Donnerberg posted:

Next discussion, please.

This is the right idea.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I just discovered you can option select feints/parries, making it even safer.

:getin:

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Exmond posted:

So if you try and parry and press E, you will either parry or feint? Nice!

Sort of, it's not a true option select in the sense that you don't parry at the exact same time. If you hit heavy attack and cancel as quickly as possible you will actually eat the attack. But as long as you leave the slightest pause after your parry attempt then you're still well within the feint window. So basically always attempt the feint ever so slightly after your parry attempt, that way any time your opponent feints you will as well and you will essentially be back to square one.

I'll have to test this with more characters, but it works for Warden and Valk at the very least based on my testing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I understand he's playing with a controller but how did he get his guard indicators so large? Mine are slightly smaller although I guess it doesn't make too much of a difference.