Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
I notice in For Honor, people who were clearly in previous tests will fight you as long as they keep on winning, but the moment you figure out how to counterplay them and drop them 3-0 all of a sudden they don't wanna play no more.

Anyways, so I'm basically poop socking Orochi to be the very best that ever was. I've only been doing duels so far because I want get a solid grasp on the game's combat mechanics in a more or less controlled environment. So in order of scrubs I played against what I managed to surmise.

Warden - This was an incredibly easy set of fights, after 3-0ing the guy twice he called it quits. This is likely due to the fact that I've been practicing all the game's basic mechanics on a Warden AI for about 3 hours, so I was pretty used to the moveset and how to counter it. In general I find the Warden to be really easy to play against; the Warden's quick attacks are slow enough that they're easy to deflect and punish with my quick counter, and if I manage to catch a deflection at the end of a heavy attack combo the heavy counter almost always ends the fight. Though I would imagine a Warden who can punish me with good GBs into wall stuns into a heavy combo could gently caress me up pretty hard.

Warlord- First few fights I got caught off guard by his superarmor, and this was clearly an experienced player. His superarmor was really tough to deal with because if I try to counter a chain with SA his heavy attack will go through my counter (despite taking damage). That being said he was fighting very aggressively, and once I paced myself better and only went for the counters at the end of his combos or on light attacks I started dropping him very reliably. I also found that in general it more effective to go for dodges + light attacks, than for actual counters.

Peacekeeper- The warlord player switched to this guy and I also faced like 4 other players playing him. Well gently caress. This guy had me in a stuffy for a while. The Warlord player basically kicked my rear end as Peacekeeper for about 5 matches by spamming light attack and switching up his combo. First my over-reliance on dodging was very obvious here since AFAIK it's impossible to dodge the follow up quick attacks. I eventually got decent enough to reliably block him, but he would the just immediatly block my attack and go back to his spam. I tried to parry him, but I found it too difficult to adjust the defense and heavy attack in the short span of his quick attacks (maybe it's easier on M&KB?). Anyways, the trick I found to this after I block him to immediately go for a guard break and then a double up light attacks. I honestly haven't used them much until now, and it took me a while to get into the rhythm of things, and he started catching on to the plan, but being able to also mix in a few heavies to punish his GB attempts won me a few matches and after a 3-0 round he quit. Most of the other players I played weren't as aggressive with him; I found a few of them constantly spamming the guard button in different directions to always keep it up, a fun trick I developed against these people is to attack where their guard currently is as they will likely move it right before the attack. The best one made ample use of guard breaks and shivving me, that one took me a while to start beating; I basically had to learn how to keep him at range, since AFAIK GBs take longer to connect the further you are, it gave me more time to punish with a light attack. Though in general I find the fact that you're basically not allowed to dodge against these fucks to be annoying.

Conqueror- Had only one round against this guy, lost 2-3 with almost no HP on the guy left every time. I haven't figured out how to reliably deal with him yet. The player made very good use of guard breaks, and GB counters. Also I'm honestly still not sure how the shield mechanic works, but it was pretty impossible to break through his defense. Almost all of my damage came from my own GBs and dodge punishing his occasional whiffed attack. If anyone has advice about how to drop him I'm all ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Huh, people who play domination are really bad compared to those who do duels.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Gimbal lock posted:

Is this weird? I generally do a 2 out of 3 and cycle to a new person. That is, unless I completely outclass a person. I've never thought that a newbie might want to spar for a while even if he gets completely wrecked. I should change my policy on rematching duels.

If you completely destroy me 3-0 consistently then I'm all the more interested in keeping on fighting. It generally means you're using some sort of strategy or tactic, or I'm very lacking in a specific area that I can improve on by focusing on how you're able to deal damage to me and how you're avoiding damage. Generally the bigger the skill gap is, the more I can learn. While I don't think everyone has the same mentality, but this is something that was common for dota/fighting game players circa 2007 era where there was no match making and the only way to get better was to learn from getting completely annihilated by people 10 times better than you.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 27, 2017

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

For the record, those who aren't aware: The AI in this game is REALLY good. 3rd level AI is an amazing dueling partner, the only weird thing I found is that it always gets hit by my plunge attack for some reason.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Frozenfries posted:

How do people deal with Warlords? I play Nobushi and they seem to just plow through me like nothing. I'm probably choking a bit too, but I'm not sure how Warlord works mechanically so usually I get stomped, and everything I do seems to get blocked pretty easily.

Warlords are very susceptible to guard breaks and feints. When they enter full guard their shield will glow, immediately toss out a guard break to punish them. They have a couple of super armor attacks, parry those because they have a massive wind up and they glow white.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Roobanguy posted:

man i have no idea how to deal with law bringers as a warden. their grab is ridiculous.

guard break counter

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Met a really good Orochi player while playing domination, apparently he was 1v3ing my team while I was 1v3ing his team. He was doing a lot better than I was, granted he did have like 60 more GS than me. Invited him to private duels because I really wanted to practice against a good Orochi. After beating him back to back for 9 matches he suddenly left group and hasn't answered my messages. I mean I was a bit disappointed because I was so excited to play against a better Orochi player, but I didn't say anything about. I don't think he likes me anymore :(

Genocyber posted:

I have not run into any of those issues. Played for ~5 hours so far and all my connections have been flawless, no disconnects or trouble finding people to fill matches (always within half a minute) and I've only run into one person who rage quit so far (And it still counted as my win which was nice).

Honestly it depends on your own connection more than anything. I have a really high quality connection and I have experienced zero issues in duels, and desync only occurring when the hosts abandons in Domination.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 28, 2017

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Keegers posted:

Yeah, $60 is alot for a game that feels like a newer chivalry or something. Also who knows if the campaign is even going to be good. I do enjoy dueling alot however and that is the main reason I want to buy it

I must have not played enough Chivalry cause I don't know da poo poo you're talking about

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

How the poo poo do I get the game to stop replacing my colors with my team colors?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

I finally managed to meet a player who could beat me in a duel, but then he left after 1 match. WHY HAVE THOU FORSAKEN ME!?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

CountingWizard posted:

content is incredibly sparse.

Wow it's almost as if this was CB without a full map rotation, hero release, and no included campaign mode.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Yeah, but it's supposed to launch with 12 maps.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

Are there people that honestly, no joke, believe that when someone says "this game doesn't have enough content" that more maps and a redundant game mode are all that they want?

Just lol.

I do not believe the word content means what you think it means. I believe the word you're looking is variety.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

panda clue posted:

This is the most broken thing that I encountered over beta; how do you counter this? Can you counter it? I couldn't figure out how to deal with it as a Peacekeeper, no matter how hard I tried.

Easy. First it's interruptable by quick attacks, as long as you're not balls deep in him every hero should be able to stop it. Second, have you tried dodging? The tracking on that headbutt is pretty shite.

Zzulu posted:

King of the hill game mode where contestans enter in and stand around a ring, like fight club. You gotta fight the king and if you beat him you become king

You mean every time you just stand on the enemy natural point in dominion and engage them in glorious 1v3 combat?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Aranan posted:

Good to hear that KB+M is workable. Anyone have decent YouTube channels to check out for information? I just searched for For Honor and watched a couple, but it's either people playing the campaign mode very slowly or incredibly annoying people yelling "DIE human being" as they duel.

I play exclusively via KB+M.

On an unrelated note, Dominion is a trash mode filled with trash players which for some retarded reason Ubisoft insists should be the primary gameplay mode.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Avail posted:

PC player. Should I be using 2 or 3 fingers on the mouse for counter guard break responsiveness?

I'd like to know the optional way before I really start and get used to something sub optimal.

I have GB on side button so that my thumb is always on the GB button.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Anyone know what the exclamation warning mark below a character in character select means?

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 19, 2017

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Dosvidanya posted:

60/60 gear drops in your inventory

Oh ew, who gear.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

TastyLemonDrops posted:

How is this even a thing that happens.

I don't give a poo poo about gear because I only play duels.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

But fashion is trash until you get like perstige 4 anyways.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Fun? Sure. Good? Debatable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

TheAnomaly posted:

for those who don't have the centurion - he swaps stance slowly out of combos, but can do it quickly in the middle of each move of each of his combos. He has held or quick press bashes, they're all slow but that makes his timing unpredictable. He can chain heavy attacks that hit or are blocked into regular bash or a punch. whenever he lands a bash he can follow up with a light attack that is guaranteed to hit and that chains into a really fast unblockable combo (That can be swapped into a heavy attack and then followed up with a bash). He deals extra damage to targets that are staggered or on the ground, and has a special heavy attack for ground targets that is slightly different than his regular jump stab and deals a poo poo ton of damage.

So, after putting several hours onto him, don't get hit, ever, or he won't stop hitting you. Blocking doesn't help much. Dodging completely shuts him down, though, so get good at dodging I guess. The only attack that doesn't have variable speed is the light attack, so parrying is also pretty hard against a centurion who is actually swapping their attacks up.

Centurion is also fun as gently caress, only class where it doesn't seem like you're punished for being the aggressor, which is what I think this game needs.

Playing Shinobi against a decent centurion means if you get hit once, you might as well go ahead and pop open a new beer while you wait for the new round to start. On the flipside the amount of wins I've had where I took no damage has made enough of them RQ that I feel better about myself. I'm still salty that they released a hero, and it's hard-counter in the same DLC tho.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 18, 2017