Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Game is fun but has serious connectivity problems. It seems to all be running on peer to peer, and about 50% of the time when you queue for 4v4 you get stuck in a lobby and it just spins its wheels forever, you have to alt F4 out of the game.

This same kind of poo poo is what made me stop playing Rainbow Six, almost the exact same issues with totally busted matchmaking. I know this is a beta test but with the game launching in two weeks and a track record of being awful, Ubisoft doesn't exactly deserve the benefit of the doubt here. I'm seeing some people saying this is a persistent issue from previous tests as well, which is does not inspire optimism. Real shame considering the game seems otherwise pretty great.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Roobanguy posted:

hows this game play with mouse and keyboard? wanna know if i should just my controller ready before jumping in after the betas done downloading.

It's the kind of game you pick up and play for about 10 seconds before you realize "oh, this was created for controllers".

Wandle Cax posted:

I haven't played rainbow six but they seem to have a track record of actually fixing problems with that sort of stuff

It counts for somewhat less when they only get around to fixing it weeks after the game comes out.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
In particular the combat revolves completely around stances-- a top, left, and right stance. On a controller you change stances with the R stick by pushing in the direction of the stance and it feels very natural. On KBAM you change stances with mouse gestures and I wanted nothing to do with it.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I just had a game that ran for about a minute and a half and then paused with the network warning window, then rolled the game back literally to the beginning of the match. Prior, I the worst I had seen was when a several second rollback brought the enemy I just killed back to life, but nothing is safe I guess.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 28, 2017

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Dezztroy posted:

Upgrading gear is a huge waste of steel. Just wait until you hit reputation 1 and buy a premium box or two for blue gear.

I've been really confused by the gear in this game. The fact that each gear piece comes with tradeoffs seems to suggest a TF2 style side-grade where the gear just represents specialization, but then they also have an actual gearscore number and rarity. Is there straight up vertical progression?

Regarding game value -- we all know the campaign is gonna be a series of botmatches with some voice acting and cheap cutscenes. I will be absolutely shocked if it's anything more than that.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
This game is really lovely for odd numbers of players. We had 3 people on for a while and were having a pretty not great time in Dominion with a 4th slot pubbie on our team and getting wrecked by bad matchmaking, then two more people came in to play and 5 is just an impossible number to work with here.

Even a super low effort "free for all" style custom game where we could just be in an arena map and fight while hanging out together would have completely solved this and would easily have been our favorite play mode.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Wandle Cax posted:

There is a 4v4 Deathmatch mode and something called elimination in the final game, the beta is not all the content in the game

I understand it's a beta but a couple additional 4v4 modes doesn't really solve anything about odd sized groups being awkward. I would be more understanding if this were more of an actual team game, but the game's greatest strength and frankly the only really novel thing about it is the dueling. Not letting a group of friends just fight each other outside of some rigid team structure seems like an oversight. For a game that is essentially a 3D fighting game, the developers don't seem to have paid much thought to the social aspects of fighting games.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 29, 2017

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
It's a team game but I guess the distinction I'm making is that the actual combat sort of falls apart at the seams and becomes a mess with more than maybe 3 or 4 people involved in a fight, as opposed to something like Overwatch or a MOBA cousin where the whole game is designed to shine during teamfights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
My idea of honor is that when I win my duel first in a 2v2 match, I go stand motionless in the vicinity of my partner's duel and I will take a swipe at his opponent if they get too close to me, like an irritated cat.