Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

bear is driving! posted:

I played through the tutorial and practice, and then I jumped online and played about 10 matches.

Multiplayer is your opponent just spinning left stick wildly while button mashing and then guard breaking and throwing you into the water, which instantly kills you for some reason. Little to no skill involved despite the system seeming like it's skill based. To clarify, many of the matches I played defensively and tried to watch my opponent and guard to match attacks, but it looked like they were really just spinning left stick and mashing RB/RT to get hits in. I thought you could only guard break if your attack angle matched their guard angle, but that doesn't seem to be the case, as in the middle of their wild swinging they would guard break and stun me, then either keep attacking or throw me into the water.

I'm gonna pass on this one. It's a neat idea, but I have no desire to try to learn the intricacies of a system that can be defeated by smashing the controller with my face. Which is sad, because I was kind of looking forward to this.

I'm glad you uncovered the all the tactical intricacies of an entire game after only 10 matches. That's damned impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Chomp8645 posted:

2v2 is just 1v1 but with lots of rage about E-HONOR.

Which is not to say that's a bad thing.

2v2 is hilarious, especially with the e-honor people who would get salty as gently caress about "ganking." If you wanted the honorable duel, you should have queued for 1v1. 2v2 means you have to deal with the chance of getting double-teamed.

Also, with external blocking, zone attacks, and revenge, getting 2v1ed isn't even that big of a deal.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Chomp8645 posted:

I would not take it for granted that the steel values in the demo will necessarily be the same as release. Both the amount of steel that things cost and how easily steel is earned may change.

I haven't heard anything about the values being different for release. Where did you hear that they could be?

Edit: Also, it looks like there will be an open beta Feb 9th to 12th.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Chomp8645 posted:

There hasn't been a statement. I'm not even saying that it will be the case, just that it could be. I do find it very likely that it will be the case however, and I have two reasons to believe it.

1) It is common for demos/"betas" to change or reduce unlock requirements. This is because they want players to experiment with things that the limited time frame would not allow them to unlock otherwise. Take the Star Wars: Battlefront beta for example. In the release version of the game the Jump Pack didn't unlock until like level 15 or something (and the beta capped at level 5). However just for the beta they changed it so that the Jump Pack unlocked at level 3. This is because the jump pack is fun and they wanted people to use it. They wanted it to be shown on streams. So they changed it. Ubisoft certainly did not want this weekend long beta to be nothing but Infinite Vanguard Combat, so it would make sense they would make unlocking heroes very easy.

I can understand changing the timeframe in which to unlock something as cool and exciting as the jump pack in SW:B, but there's nothing stopping people from playing any of the characters without unlocking them, as you are aware. I just don't see how those two are comparable.

quote:

2) The pricing doesn't add up. Heroes in the beta were either 100 or 500 steel. But costumes range between 1500 and 3000 steel. Taunts and executions are more like 5000 steel. This doesn't jive to me. If you take a look at MOBAs for example, they usually have hefty price tags in to unlock heroes, with skins and other customization options being the lesser cost. I suspect that in this beta the cost of costumes/taunts/executions were unchanged from what release will be, but that the heroes themselves were heavily discounted because otherwise people wouldn't unlock them during the limited time frame of the beta. And yes, you could play them anyway but if we are being realistic people just don't want to play a character as much is they can't customize them.

Additionally, the very numbers of 100 or 500 steel are suspect because they are too small. So small that they are pointless. If it is that easy to unlock them then everyone will have every character unlocked within a week. You might as well not require them to be unlocked at all. The barrier is so small that it will be pointless, which makes me believe it is not the real barrier.

See, that makes perfect sense to me. The initial cost of buying in to customization is relatively cheap, which means the gear you get between matches can be actually used, and the really drastic things like Taunts/Executions/Ornaments are more expensive and are a goal to reach. I agree that they may tweak the mission rewards somewhat, but I don't think their pricing structure for their funbux is unusual.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Zzulu posted:

How many viking classes can you even make

This guy has an axe! THIS guy has a bigger axe!! THIS guy has two axes!! THIS GUY HAS TWO BIG AXES :O

Probably as many as you could in any other fighting game? What matters is HOW they play and how different they feel.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Zzulu posted:

Some men get off on Doing The Right Thing. Honorable duels, 1 vs 1. Two men enter, one man leaves

And some men just want to watch the world burn (double team some dude and stunlock him to death)

E-honor in video games is loving stupid and any chance to make people like that angry is a Good Thing.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Xae posted:

Should we listen to the person who played the game?

No, lets jump on the hype train over a game we haven't played!

lol, it's an open beta, you moron. Everyone in this thread has probably already played it.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Glenn Quebec posted:

I was very hype to play this and then I did and I find the controls reprehensible. Everything feels the opposite of 'tight' controls.

I genuinely have no idea what game you're playing then, because the controls feel fantastic to me.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

FunkMonkey posted:

So you hate the game and its mechanics, but plan on buying it anyway? Why? Just to spite the people disagreeing with you?

He can do what he wants with his money, but this is how this is going to go:

He's just going to come back and say "I WAS RIGHT" after posting some boring 10 minute long duel with someone on his friends list.

People will explain to him what he did wrong and what he could have done to exploit the opportunities he had to force damage.

He will say "NUH UH" and not listen to anyone, and the world will continue to spin.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

So, am I crazy, or do friendly attacks break an allied Shugoki's Unbreakable Stance? If so, that's hilarious.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Double Monocle posted:

The peacekeeper triple stab does like 1/3rd the damage it did in the beta.

It also don't see mention of this anywhere in patch notes so that's probably what they are referring to.

If you mean the bleed, that was an intended nerf. The build the open beta used was not the same as the retail build so the expected nerfs weren't in then, but we've know that nerf was coming since before open beta.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Loopoo posted:

I don't environmental kill much nowadays. It's annoying as gently caress when I can punish a player by cliffing them but that voice in the back of my head says it's not worth dealing with the salt, so instead I heavy attack em. I just play Orochi really well and mash together really good combos so it's lightning quick. If I get you in a guard break or parry, you're pretty hosed. I can take 4 or 5 bars of off your health.

I want to fight you. Orochis give me tons of trouble on my Raider.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Minorkos posted:

i'd be more impressed if you stopped replying to me altogether

Like him or not, he has a point.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

What was the difference?

From the patch notes:

Guardbreak Counter (All Heroes):
Currently you can’t counter a guardbreak during a guardbreak attempt. This will be return to the previous behavior seen in the Beta.

Other people are saying that they changed the timing. Those people are dumb and wrong and shouldn't be listened to.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

UP AND ADAM posted:

Pretty much no one in here has a loving clue what they're talking about

I'm going to go ahead and assume that includes you as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Double Bill posted:

Even non-buffed revive speed is reason #2 why anything but 1v1 is dogshit in this game.

Learn to execute? :shrug: