Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

lohli posted:

Sent, one left, gonna hold it for the ps4 guy.

He's got one. You don't need to hold it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

This game needs a winner-stays-on Duel mode. Some place you and your friends can take turns dueling each other, with the victor staying on to face the next challenger.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Innerguard posted:

Stupid questions from a non-beta haver.

How many characters are male vs how many are female?
Are only certain characters available from the beginning, or can you pick one to unlock for free and then grind for others?

I know there are a few different customisation choices mentioned but how indepth are they? Do any go the overwatch style of changing voices/etc?

Many of the characters can be either male or female, it's an option you choose. There are a couple that seem to be female only, such as the Peacekeeper and the Samurai spear woman.

You can play all the characters for free, right from the start. What you get by "recruiting" them is the ability to customise their equipment. The customisation I've seen changes the cosmetic look of a character's armour, but not much else. The changes you get with gear choices seem to come down to trade-offs, ie do I want more attack damage per swing but less stamina recovery, or more revenge mode damage but less throw distance etc.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

People seem to be massively overestimating the likelihood that they will encounter cheaters. In my many years of playing online PC games, I think I've encountered cheats about 20-25 times MAX. Even if there is day one obvious cheating going on, it'll still be in a small minority of games, and you're probably pretty unlikely to see it very often. If you don't care what platform you get this on, then you are probably even less likely to play against cheaters on a console, but even on PC, I wouldn't let that factor into my decision making.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 1, 2017

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I assume it won't be too dissimilar to the Renown currency from Siege. Just doing contracts every day earned you a whole load of stuff, and you ended up unlocking operators very quickly.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I'm wondering if the beta prices of steel for things like heroes are going to stay the same or if they'll be absurd like R6 where it would cost 25,000 steel to customise a hero.

To be fair to Siege, that 25k price was only for DLC operators. You were really supposed to buy those guys with real money, they were just nice enough to allow you to buy them for free with all that renown you had left over.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Yeah true. But the pricing model itself is still very shady. They cost so much and you make so little renown to incentive you to pay real money. I hope they stick with the system of all heroes playable, only pay to customise them and then have the steel cost sink in the cosmetics.

It costs money to make that stuff. Most publishers don't allow a way for you to get their new DLC content for absolutely free. We're lucky that Ubisoft does it this way.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, Discord has totally replaced Mumble as my game VOIP of choice now.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

fadam posted:

Game is DoA on PC. Queues for 1v1 are taking forever.

I think this might be due to some beta matchmaking weirdness. On PC during the closed beta the 1v1 would insta-pop.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Evil Canadian posted:

Also seeing people still hangup on the p2p poo poo is weird and dumb. As it stands whatever they are using for netcode is basically magic and there everything is WYSIWYG, no input delay, no rollbacks. I have never once had my combat effected by the game being p2p and that's the only thing that matters.

This is an important post.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

2 SPOOKY posted:

I read that the Nobushi's Hidden Stance has i-frames, but do basic dodges have them as well for everyone?

I have found that I can dodge into the direction of attacks if I hit the dodge button right as the attack indicator flashes red (tested in a Raider vs Raider bot duel with me dodging into a horizontal attack with the same timing that you would use for deflects.) It certainly looked like there were i-frames.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

titties posted:

Dodging into the direction of an attack as the thing flashes red is exactly how you do deflects though?

Parry = block + heavy attack when the indicator flashes
Deflect = dodge into the attack when the indicator flashes

Are we getting our terminologies confused or are you just talking about something I don't understand?

I'm saying that the dodges appear to offer i-frames (frames of invulnerability), as I was able to dodge straight through attacks as the Raider (who cannot deflect anything) if I do it with the same timing that you would use for a deflect.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

People with anything other than Open NATs might have trouble connecting to people.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

1500 posted:

I don't think I have ever seen a game do that. It means Europe will be playing 7 hours before anyone in the US, and 10 hours before the PST.

It happens every once in a while. Not unheard of.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Loopoo posted:

I like watching him right up until he gets a sub and then he does that really weird epileptic spew of words about sub hype or whatever. He really needs to change that, it's unintelligible.

That syllable spew of his when he gets a sub is my number 1 reason for watching him. Doesn't hurt that he's nice to people and doesn't have any obnoxious habits like so many other streamers.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Warlord chat: I keep trying to do his parry into a guard break move, but only about 20% of the time does he correctly zoom forward after parrying and connect the Guard Break, the rest of the time he just stands on the spot and whiffs a standard guard break animation, giving the opponent plenty of time to recover from the parry. It's really frustrating, as he doesn't get much out of a parry otherwise. I've tried varying the speed at which I press the guard break button, to no avail. What am I missing?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I wish the Warlord could go through crowds of soldiers in a cooler way. His single light attack animation just repeats over and over. Looks pretty crap compared to the rest of the cast.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Are there VODs available for this tournament?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Seems there was a small update today. Anyone know what it did? Didn't see anything about it on the news section in uplay.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

When you say "crashes", do you mean erroring out into the menu, or disconnection problems? I get those occasionally on PC too, but only occasionally. It's fine the majority of the time. The worst thing I've seen that happens with any frequency is people quitting at the start of a dominion or elimination match because they don't like being opposite some people with high ranks/gear stats and the resulting mass quit sometimes causes the game to get stuck permanently at the "trying to reconfigure the connection" thing that happens when someone leaves during a match.

In my experience PC is mostly fine. It could do with some better matchmaking though regarding skill level.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I take it that Ubi hasn't said poo poo about gear stats one way or the other? Speaking as an idiot who bought one of the middle packs of steel, I would be fine if they decided to take all gear stats out of the game tomorrow, as it would simply improve the game. Having said that, I expect that the pubby community would absolutely lose their poo poo.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yardbomb posted:

Don't forget peacekeeper who can just flail out attacks faster than some characters can actually stance dance to stop.

Yeah, the Peacekeeper is retarded right now.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

FunkMonkey posted:

I mean I'm obviously exaggerating, but if you really stack it you can throw them pretty drat far. I main Lawbringer, so being able to reliably cliff and wall stagger folks is pretty intrinsic to my play.

Plus I am the Cliff King after all. Got a rep to maintain.

Throw gear appears to confer no benefit to Warlords, as they have that shield charge instead, and the stat doesn't seem to limit the distance of the charge at all.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Floppychop posted:

It certainly does have a benefit. The warlord just follows them.

I played a game against a Warlord with maxed throw. He pushed us all over the place.

If that's true then gear reductions to the throw stat certainly don't seem to exact much of a charge distance penalty. My warlord's throw distance stat is as reduced as possible (for Rep 2) at 76 Gear Score, and can still charge people around for what feels like pretty large distances. I think, on balance, I gain more from Revenge Gain from Injury.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Floppychop posted:

It certainly does have a benefit. The warlord just follows them.

I played a game against a Warlord with maxed throw. He pushed us all over the place.

Just tried this out in a duel with a friend, once with default gear on, and the other with my reduced throw gear on. The difference was insignificant, and probably down to us not positioning ourselves exactly the same way both times. Unless the difference becomes significantly more pronounced at higher gear levels (my gear is maxed as high as it can go for Rep 2) then I'm convinced that it's not worth buffing that stat on the Warlord. In fact, the difference was so minimal, that I think it simply doesn't apply to the Warlord at all.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

FunkMonkey posted:

I can believe that on the "drag" style moves like warlord/raider carry and the LB spit the difference is at most negligible, but for the traditional grab'n'toss the difference is very significant and noticeable.

Edit: also remember that in 1v1 and 2v2 modes gear stats are turned off, though you may have tested it in a 4v4 setting.

We tested it in a custom game lobby 1v1 duel mode with gear stats turned on. (Custom lobbies actually default to Gear Stats ON, even in 1v1) It definitely was of little to no benefit. I'm sure it's probably great on other characters though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Fuzz posted:

... I thought gear stats only mattered in Dominion? Wait, what?

Custom lobbies have gear stats set to on by default, including 1v1 mode. Matchmaking doesn't use gear stats in 1v1 or 2v2.