Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Since the dedicated server switch was flipped months ago I’ve had zero issues. Are you playing vs AI games? I think those are still p2p hosting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Also Centurion is the worst hero in the game. I'd rather fight a sea of a thousand Orochis than one Centurion that knows his combo. It's loving absurd that they released him with a nigh-uninterruptable combo that deals 100 HP in damage and depletes your entire stamina bar afterward.

He’s one of the worst heroes now, but in classic ubi balance status he rolls over new players but get completely shut down by experienced players. He can only do the kick on a forward dodge and he can only do the confirmed punch into knockdown after a 2nd chain heavy. If you spend some time in the training mode with him you learn cent is very limited on offense. The main thing is to NEVER attempt to parry his heavies. He can vary the timing, and if he catches you with that you eat the heavy, confirmed punch into lockdown, eat the jumping heavy and now you lost half your hp. If you just focus on blocking and not trying to parry he can’t get into that combo.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
That’s part of why raider is such poo poo tier.

I mean you can still win and have fun with him, but he’s got some big time weaknesses. Slow as hell lights, slow heavies, slow zone, even his soft feints into stunning tap are slower than other characters soft feints.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Dorkopotamis posted:

We want a Shugo rework. Everyone tell your secret source.

As a fat man player I both do, and don’t want a rework that adds too much.

It’s totally true that in a serious match he is trash because he has no offense if the other player is defensive. But on the other hand I don’t mind because he is such a lazy character to play, he’s great to chill out with. Whenever I’m matched vs an actual good player just accept your loss.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Not my experience. Isn't For Honor a notoriously turtley game?

Pc is much more defensive focused, the higher frame rates make it much easier to read and react to incoming moves. On consoles more people go hog wild on attack because it’s pretty difficult to react to 400ms moves at 30fps. I’m not sure what is better really.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
They lowered his HP and damage across the board :(

Also now if either friendlies or enemies hit you while hugging someone they are released. Not sure how I feel about all the changes yet, guess we will see when it goes live on 31st.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Amdis posted:

How active is the community in this game? I've always been kind of interested in but just didn't get around to it. Got a bit of time so I'd like to give it a spin but don't know how awful it's going to be as a complete newbie.

Its plenty active on all platforms, highest on PS4. As a total newbie you will get rolled occasionally without a doubt, sometimes to the point of wondering 'how can i even do anything to beat that?'. But every multiplayer mode has the option to play vs AI which should be used to get a general feel for the game. Then just pick whatever character you think is cool and hunt down some youtube videos on how to play that character.

As you leave the vs AI modes behind I recommend you stick with 1v1 vs human players for a while. The bigger modes may seem more forgiving to new players (because you have teammates) but nothing is more frustrating as a new player than getting ganged up on, because it seems impossible to overcome. Although eventually it comes full circle to where in some instances 2v1s are actually easier for the outnumbered player, but only when you have a lot of experience under your belt.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Fix posted:

Man, this game is much better than it was a couple years ago.

PS4 question: I bought the expansion on one account but can't get the characters, etc on other profiles on the same machine. Is that a thing? Because I'm picking up on an old profile on one account that had some work put into it, and the other account has access to all the stuff. Can I merge this somehow?

Is that how all dlc works on PS4? It might be.

Double check that the profile that owns the dlc has your PS4 set as its primary system.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

titties posted:

That is some loving bullshit.

Been playing some, and now I'm wondering which characters are the absolute poo poo tier. Valkyrie and aramusha?

Platform matters too. You can roll people as both of those characters on console because their weaknesses are masked by the generally slower reactions of people.

Most poo poo tier character I think is warlord. Boring to play, boring to fight. Basically no moves. Raider is poo poo tier in any non team fight situation, slow lights and no bash to crutch on.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Zaphod42 posted:

Maaaaybe. For honor is best with 1 on 1 battles, not big unlocked chaos. So you'd have to build a level such that players would be mostly separated and allowed to have duels in different areas. Which could be done.

I think just like a proper tournament mode would be nice.

What this really needs is what Blade Symphony had, a duel mode where you can load into a lobby with like 30 people and just hang out and take turns challenging each other to duels, and spectating other people's fights.

poo poo they could have a whole Colosseum mode where you gamble on other player's duels based on who you think will win.

God yes. A lobby like duel mode would be great. That’s what their ‘ranked tournament beta’ should have been. If you finish your matches you get to spectate others, talk poo poo, bet on out comes. Next level could be were you can bid points to handicap yourself or buff your opponent kind of like the arcade mode.

I actually like the basically dead mode of 4v4 elimination because it’s as close as we get to this right now.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

^burtle posted:

Been enjoying this casually off the PS Plus freebie, is there anything in the expansion that is absolutely essential?

Marching Fire unlocks all 4 of the Chinese heroes and gives you the 1-2 player arcade mode. Which is like a mini quest mode that has you fighting with a bunch of crazy modifiers, positive and negative, on you and the bad dudes. Breach (castle assault) is free for everyone.

For 15 bux is a good price, arcade mode is fun with a friend. Essential? Not at all.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Fatman(Shugoki) headbutt is indeed much slower, so you are right about that being easier to dodge. It’s one if the slowest bashes in the game in fact.

I think BP bash is the same speed as conq, but probably feels faster because everyone is used to conq.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Fojar38 posted:

Picked up this game a few days back on sale and I've completed story mode and am now dabbling in multiplayer; anything I should consider when spending my starting metal?

The best way to gain steel is the 2 daily orders that are usually just some variation of: play two games. Remember that matches vs AI and arcade quest matches count. I think those two are good for ~800 steel a day.

Don’t use steel to buy gear packs until rep 3 on a character. Any earlier than that and you will probably unlock random gear after a match that is better than what you spent steel on.

All characters can be used in the training mode, even before unlocked. So you can test them out before buying.

You can turn off all the gay anime emote effects off in the options if you don’t want to have your screen exploding into fire or bats summoning evil mist or ice or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Nalesh posted:

What character would be a nice first pick if I like trickster style characters?

Tiandi is pretty solid, he’s pretty balanced overall and can be played very slippery/tricky with all his recovery cancels.

Really most characters can be played tricky, in terms of mind games, so just pick whoever seems cool.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 20, 2019