Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

This actually looks really pretty and fun. I will play whatever is the most Guan Yu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

The visuals are wonderful and the effects are nice, but it definitely does feel like something is missing. Aside from the constant disconnects, people do just tend to sprint away if they lose more than half their health and duel mode seems to be the only real source of fighting to the bitter end. I like duel mode, but I'm not sure that could carry the game alone as Dominion is all about running away until you have superior numbers from what I've experienced in eight hours or so.

The soldiers that you can dynasty warriors blow up here and there are a nice touch, but they seem to cause desyncs more than anything else. On top of that, the combat feels a bit clunky despite being largely intuitive. I might wait a bit and see before considering a purchase, but right now definitely not.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Nice to see Chinese getting as entitled as Americans. Can't wait until the next GTA is in Chongqing because they can't relate to American cities (actually that would probably be pretty cool).

We did get Sleeping Dogs, which was pretty fun overall!

I think the main issue is that China is never really featured that prominently in Western popular culture. For example in Battletech, the massive Draconis Combine is Japanese, while China and Russia are sort of smashed together as the Capellan Confederation, a tiny nation in a corner.

Evil Canadian posted:

My biggest complaint is probably the 4v4 maps. I wish there was maybe ACBD instead of ABC for zones? On each map I have played generally B is just a giant clusterfuck. Maybe if there was 2 zones with creeps going at it, it would be more manageable and players would spread out a bit more.

I don't think four zones would help things, but two zones with soldiers in them would definitely be better, if not for the current network issues. I'm sure they'll clean that up in time for the launch. Most players seem to avoid B this morning and just go straight to A or C to fight.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Indecisive posted:

Well we literally couldn't even go there until recently, we've done a lot of culture swapping with the japanese (for uh, reasons), but china has always been like, gently caress off westerners, so what do they expect? It's not gonna be an overnight thing

To be fair, the Hong Kong cinema scene has always been prolific since the 1950s. Shaw Brothers films in particular. I'm not complaining as I understand the political environment of these eras. The PRC stoked a lot of pro-nationalist policies after the 60s, which has lead to people being prickly and entitled about that sort of thing today. On the other hand, Western popular culture has always been a hit in Asia in the postwar era, America and Europe are often featured alongside any non-nationalist production. That new Matt Damon movie, The Great Wall is fairly demonstrable of recent collaboration featuring a Western film star with prominently featured mainland costars.

To get back on topic, I think a Ancient China DLC would go a long way for Ubisoft, financially speaking. Just have four warriors with jian, guandao, a wulin-style Shaolin monk for the best execution method in movie history, and a guy with a meteor hammer. I'm interested in seeing what other warriors (if any) that they will add. Duel mode is definitely my favourite mode, but I definitely can't play more than an hour or so at a time.

Megaflare posted:

As an aside, I love Warden shoulder strings. Getting to the point where people won't just let me infinite them and know to dodge out but if you guess they're going to do it you can still catch them and eventually chase them with a heavy to finish it.

Yes, this. Warden is the most entertaining class for me by far.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I am only 170cm myself. Being a real warrior isn't one of my career options.

:negative:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I'm definitely supportive of KB+M, it just feels very intuitive after years of computing. It doesn't offer as much freedom as a controller in terms of portability, but it is very comfortable for me. Both blocking and chaining attacks into the default combo system feel very smooth and comfortable.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

That's a bit of a shame. I was looking forward to seeing how Lawbringer played. Mostly because poleaxes are the best.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I've been duelling with a friend since I got home. I'm also really bad!

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I haven't run into as many Orochi players in OBT compared to CBT. However, it feels like that there is a lot more Peacemakers out there now.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Is there a quick fix to mouse cursor appearing ingame aside from a restart?

Alt+Tab, restore then a quick Shift+F2 to bring up the overlay fixes it for me.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I think the most fun part about this game is getting absolutely destroyed in the first duel and then running over your opponent for the next three matches until they quit.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I know this was pages ago but I played a shitload of Orochi before switching into Peacekeeper. Keeper plays exactly how I was expecting both classes to feel, where you rely on getting a parry to open a combo or get off quick chip light attacks to interrupt the enemy heave attacks. Orochi, on the other hand, feels just as slow as any other class, where a solid-timed light attack won't be able to interrupt a slow-as-hell Raider heavy attack, and if you're playing a counterattack-based class who is THAT slow why even bother? Peacekeeper just seems objectively better from the 10+ games I've played of each class

I play Peacekeeper and Warden more or less myself. Initially during CBT I wanted to play as Conqueror and Nobuchi but I'm completely awful at both of them, so messing around with various classes eventually found two that I'm decent with. Orochi I never really felt comfortable with.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

It seems like such a simple fix to give these people what they actually want though and hell, I'd like it to - 1v1 lobbies. Join a 1 v 1 Duel alone or in a group, go into a lobby, rotate through. Winner stays in, loser goes back to spectating.

This would be a nice feature. A King of the Hill mode where everyone can just sit in the lobby and spectate the fighters would do well, it worked for DOA4 at least.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I've not run into any leavers yet, strangely enough. Everyone has been relatively polite and friendly in duels, brawls, and eliminations.

It's a surreal experience that is destroying my internet perspective.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Chivalry should tie you over until the 14th.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Death by blunt force trauma is among the most honorable types of death inflicted upon your enemy.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I'm quite keen on KB+M after trying both a DS2 and 360 pad. I'm also bad though.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Zzulu posted:

Am I seeing things or is the mythic outfit for conquerors shooting fire out of its back? :stare:

Fiery wings. Yes.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Any class that isn't Warden.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I only play duels and brawls myself, but I don't begrudge goons who prefer the other modes.

ZenVulgarity posted:

When are they adding immortals

Not before I get my Guan Yu.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

It's more like Chivalry, in my opinion.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

It's an important part of fighting games to be able blame yourself for all your failures.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

"Um actually I am faultless and I only lost because the fat man is a dumb and broken character!"- half the people I fight

Zaphod42 posted:

Okay Mario, that one was your fault. :cheeky:

Hey! I said important, not necessary. :argh:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Zzulu posted:

I'm bad at the shugoki but I sitll play him a lot because there are just not nearly enough fat folk with clubs in games who sit people to death imo

Blunt weapons are the best, but it feels like I run into a disproportionate amount of Shugoki compared to any other singular class. I think it is quite popular within this microcosm.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

That's uh.. kind of horrifying and awesome at the same time. Sort of like fighting your Bayman so many years back.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Evil Canadian posted:

If its in the corner, you also get the top light as well as the top heavy, and berserkers forward throw does a few points of damage(unlike every other class) in total for about 77 damage, which is well over half life on everyone but the shugoki.

Also hell yeah doa goons :)

:hfive:

I'm going to need to watch out for Berserkers a lot more then. I'd mostly written them off as chain spammers, because that's all I've seen from them so far. I always stay away from edges and corners after getting destroyed by a really snappy Conqueror player, so I hope to avoid any type of supreme combo from a berserker. I like my HP.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Evil Canadian posted:

I do gotta say with high level gear, it makes dominion basically utterly unfun to play. Prioritizing revenge you can get revenge in basically 2 blocked hits, over and over again. I can see myself just stopping playing Dominion entirely cause of this its super frustrating :(

Yeah. Having gear do anything besides fashion was already writing on the wall for game modes that employed statted gear. I understand that people want to have sick builds, but the revenge mechanic is basically the strongest and nothing else can compare unless you're a Nobushi sniper, maybe.

Pretty princess dressup is something that I wholeheartedly approve of though. Shugoki needs a meat bun helmet.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I only ever play 1v1 and 2v2 myself as the matchmaking problems in 4v4 are fairly endemic, so I've been a bit saved from the brunt of revenge built players. I sort of treat the game as a pick up and drop fighter for a half hour to an hour at a time. Saves me a lot of frustration.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I'm really surprised that Warlords are such a rarity in duels given headbutt spam effectiveness. It's usually Orochi or Wardens that are the most popular in my experience.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

When a Conqueror is on, they are really on. Just so, so steady and strong and the fact that they aren't staggered after blocking big hits helps a lot. On the other hand, I can't play a Conqueror well at all since I'm very aggressive.

Evil Canadian posted:

Revenge gain gear needs to loving go.

Being unique statswise okay and all, but yes. This exactly right here.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I've never really played any of the 4v4 modes as they don't hold my interest, but yeah.. gear horror stories abound from every corner of the internet. 1v1 and 2v2 are fun and all, but it does tend to get stale after a while. I used to play for an hour or two at a time, but lately it feels like a bit of a skeleton of a game and I'm just going through the motions.

Probably just burned out a bit.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Double Bill posted:

Remapping controller buttons is a bannable offense apparently. Their way of blocking button macros was to blanket ban all remaps.

That explains a lot of my problems when I played with a gamepad. :negative:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Took a short break, came back and did more duels. Feeling a lot better about the game, then I decided to try Dominion since I am dumb.

I'll stick with duels and brawls until revenge gear is toned down a bit.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

As for the gear thing, that's only for the big 4v4 mode right? The 1v1 and 2v2 don't have upgradable stuff do they?

Gear is purely cosmetic in 1v1 and 2v2.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Evil Canadian posted:

At this point i'd say half the people I fight in duels rage quit on me when they are about to lose, this is loving worse than sf5 was at its peak.

More than half in my experience. Conversely, brawl participants seem to be better well behaved.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Revenge as a comeback mechanic is good, conceptually. Giving the underdog a chance to win is nice, but at the same time the implementation is a bit unfortunate. I don't feel that revenge belongs in brawls or duels, but I can live with it.

I tend to just go with the flow in brawl, if my teammate ganks or I get ganked there's a good chance there will be reciprocity.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

It got me a few times too.:suicide:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I suppose it's a byproduct of having gear stats at all. People just don't want to play until they're geared up.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Capn Beeb posted:

Been having this in PvP matches pretty often. My blocks do gently caress all against regular attacks, both light and heavy, not-unblockables.

Haven't been seeing that from Orochi, but I've been busy getting my clock cleaned by conquerors. There's a definite uptick in their popularity as of late it feels like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

This evening was strange. Felt like there was an uptick in leavers for duels and brawls. 5/7 games had someone leave when they started losing.

I'm sure it's just confirmation bias.