Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I'm about 25% through the game, but drat if the game doesn't get just hard as gently caress sometimes. I started on Hard difficulty, as per the thread recommendation, and I am just constantly running low on ammo. In the tech-y levels it seems like ammo is much more available, but whenever there's forests/shrines all my bullets just disappear into the ether, then when I get gibbed I have to go back again with even less ammo against enemies back at full health.

I'm still only getting lvl 30-ish upgrades (and barely have a dozen weapons at this point), so I'm sure eventually I'll find some solid loot/combinations, but some of the missions are pretty hard. I've maxed out Stinger and Vortex, which help a lot, but definitely need to experiment some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Also, how do you combine upgrades? Is it gated behind some story stuff, or is it something simple I'm missing? I've got a ton of useless stuff I would like to combine into level appropriate upgrades.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Turtlicious posted:

They stack, so +5% and +11% is +16%, I found in the first few levels two +11%'s then I crafted a +99%Crit Damage, +11% Crit Chance, I ended up having a sword that crit'd every 3rd hit, for 600 damage

Whelp, now I know what I'll be replacing those electro-gems with.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
So, yesterday I was saying that the game was pretty hard early on - I've finally got far enough and enough upgrades to tweak myself into a beatiful whirlwind of death. I just slotted all of my armour upgrades with "_______ of fluke" to increase my critical chance as much as I could, then put as many +critical damage weapon upgrades on my sword as possible and popped in the Ninja amulet for the +30% melee damage. I am become death. I'm still pretty early on, I've only just got to the forge upgrade section and done some side missions about tea and sex slaves, but every 4th or 5th strike from my sword just DECIMATES whoever I'm fighting, and when it procs on a Stinger or Vortex everything just dies immediately. I imagine that as my crit % goes up throughout the game, it's only going to get more OP.

Speaking of which, I can't seem to bear to break my addiction to Wang's default katana - what's the main difference between that and the short blades? I know that they have a higher rate of attack, but is their range reduced, or just slightly lower damage/high RoF? I think I'll do a bit of experimentation on the different blades later.

It's also very freeing to realize that the weapon upgrades aren't specifically NECESSARY in order to make any of them decent - a blank weapon will still do appreciable damage to whatever you're firing it at. When I first started playing the sheer range of options for every weapon and upgrade slot was stymieing, in between each little 10-minute side mission I was spending like 30 minutes loving around with new weapon/upgrade combinations. It takes a fairly long time to figure out which upgrades are really worthwhile and swap things around with minimal fuss, and there's a whole range of upgrades that I consider almost entirely useless (seriously, Has ANYONE ever bothered wasting a gem slot increasing their defense/resistances rather than just going full glass-cannon mode?)

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 19, 2016

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
It definitely seems like the overall plot was a victim of their deadline - I'll bet if they had another month or two before release we'd have had something a little more coherent, rather than all of the super-fast jump-cuts and missing(?) sections. I definitely was left wondering if I'd accidently skipped a few cutscenes early on.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I love just exploring a level after a mission (having the choice to opt to go back to the hub when you finish a mission is pretty great), finding a new Boss, slogging it out and picking up a gloriously garish new superweapon from amongst their meaty chunks. I practically squealed when I got the Agent of Chaos, immediately slapped in all my ammo-saving gems, and had a new best friend (even though I've still usually got the Ninja Touch amulet which makes it -30% less powerful, it still shreds).

Hell, one of the only "complaints" I have with the game is that there are just too many loving weapons, it's hard to choose a favorite loadout. I just found the Ghidorah, and now it's hard to wean myself away from the any of the 'spinny' melee weapons- the multi-hit power attacks are just too good for a crit build. I think I'm sitting at something like +382% crit damage and like +28% chance to crit at the moment, anything that isn't an elite, hardened, or has physical resist gets torn to shreds almost instantaneously, it's glorious. Basically, my strategy has become "Kill everything with melee, have one or two 100% elemental weapons for when some rear end in a top hat with physical resist/hardened shows up".

I've also almost completely ignored any of the rocket/grenade launchers, they've all felt pretty anemic - the enemies move too fast/teleport to line up a shot that will take out a group, the blast radius is relatively small, and the reload time is pretty long. A single well-slotted shotgun blast from cerberus will do more damage than a rocket launcher, anyway.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Mr.Citrus posted:

Disagree, the pistols can be extremely damaging. Explosive bullets are amazing.

All the sub machine guns and assault rifles are incredibly weak though, no matter how you seem to stat them.

The... Hellflesh assault rifle (I don't remember the name) is one of the few ranged weapons in the game that's 100% elemental - put a few more elemental gems on there that increase burn proc/damage and it's one of the best weapons to take down enemies with Physical Resist.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
The only thing I think I would change about the game is a greatly simplified loot system - I don't need twelve bazillion different kinda of modifications, especially when they're each actually a double or triple modification so it becomes double confusing when each one does two things. It's a huge pain in the rear end to keep track of, especially when modifications can apply to many (bot not ALL) of the weapons. And then you've got 8 weapons and 3 slots each, it's just so much data to keep track of.

Basically, everyone pretty much just slots the same type of upgrades into a weapon to give it the best bonuses. It'll either be all "+Crit Damage" or all "+ Elemental Damage" or maybe even all "+Ammo save chance". If 90% of the players are just going to stack the same kind of upgrade, why not just have a single upgrade slot, and a single upgrade that does the same thing that 3 of them would do anyway? I do appreciate the sheer amount of player control over tweaking their weapons, but it takes so long to modify my weapons, and there's so MANY loving weapons and upgrades to contend with!

I'd much prefer to just have a couple of choice of fire modes/upgrade paths for each weapon that I could buy or purchase on my own, rather than sift through a sea of upgrades with bizarre names and compounding or conflicting bonuses. Maybe even make it so that I can switch between the modes on the fly if I've purchased them. For example, I can walk into the shoot shack, choose one of my weapons, and see what options I've got:

Pistols
  • Dual Wield
  • Charge Shot
  • Fire Rate

Melee
  • Crit Chance
  • Elemental Effect
  • Health/Chi Steal

Shotguns
  • Multi-barrel blast
  • Fire Rate
  • Ammo Save

Light Auto
  • Fire Rate
  • Ammo Save
  • Crit Chance

Heavy Guns
  • Ammo Save
  • Fire Rate
  • Turret

That's just a few off the top of my head, let me head to the gun shack and just choose which upgrade I want to slot into my gun, and if I've purchased more than one then just let me hit a button to switch fire modes in game.

If you want elemental stuff, that should just be a separate thing entirely at the forge that does a flat conversion, with upgrades becoming progressively more expensive in order to convert more of your damage to that element.

I really appreciate the sheer variety of options and control that the player has for each weapon and the ability to tweak their play style, but to be honest probably 50% of my play time was spent in menus sifting through a billion upgrades, when I should have been gibbing the gently caress out of some demons.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 23, 2016

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

limaCAT posted:

After the first playthrough I learned that if you junk gems they would disappear from the weapons gem selection but not from crafting.

Also I use dmg up and large creature dmg up on revolvers because they are the best for hitting large and slow creatures like herculons, zl-209 and most bosses.

Given the fact that there aren't any "levels" to enemies or weapons, I don't think +DMG should have been an upgrade choice. Seems like something you could easily design around.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

The greatest crime of the game is that this is not a useable weapon.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Got bored a drew some fanart - still need to add Hoji and Ammeona.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
The stick of doom was my "I need absolutely everything in a 90 degree arc in front of me to die" weapon, but it had a huge reload time. The point 5 0 was pretty anemic to me. If different pistols had different amount of ammo, it might be useful, but a weapon with a higher ROF but lower damage per bullet is just going to drain my ammo reserves too quickly. Pistols are best suited to deal big damage by punching the poo poo out of stuff with a few precise shots, rather than firing quickly.

SMGs are pretty anemic on their own, but they really shine against elemental weaknesses, since they hit so many times the status effects are practically guaranteed to proc almost instantly. I always kept a pair handy with 3 elemental gems for whenever a Physical Resist/Hardened enemy appeared.

Also, I learned pretty early on that doubled ammo, or 'Substance of Package' is a mug's game. The +50%ish damage upgrade just isn't worth the ammo cost. It turns out that a better way to get a 100% damage increase is to just fire twice.

Some of the later high-ROF shotguns are loving amazing though. My favorite was the Purgator. By that time I had enough 'Fluke' upgrade on my character to give me about +25% chance to crit, and I dropped in an ammo-saving, crit %+, and crit boost upgrade, PLUS the drat thing has a special modifier that has a 20% chance to get half your clip back whenever you kill something. Between the ammo save chance and the fact that almost every other shot was a critical, I almost never had to reload. It was glorious.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 25, 2016

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Shadow Warrior 1 had much more genuine pathos- Hoji's backstory was genuinely compelling (even if he, along with all the other ancients, was a massive dick). I like Kamiko as well, but her role is more of a snarky ride-along than an actual partner like Wang/Hoji. In SW1, Hoji was the reason that Wang was able to manipulate Chi at all - it would have been cool if Kamiko conferred some new abilities as well, or was the reason Wang could do all these new Chi moves like Vanish, other than just being a convenient explanation for how you can teleport.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
The amount of orbs to get past even the third tier of upgrade is pretty insane - but I guess that's why the first upgrades are so cheap, gives plenty of room to experiment.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

sockpuppetclock posted:

I feel like I've broken this game into a million pieces

So 2 electric gems, an explosive gem aaaand....something that increases critical chance/crit damage?

Also, goddamn at 9.1 radius. How many Orbs did you put into it?

Anyway, I like the Arenas. It's nothing revolutionary, but they're fun (but gently caress lava floors). I think the experience you get is persistent even when you die, so it's not a bad way to grind if you feel like it. Plus it encourages me to use the skills/abilities I never did before, I'm relying on vanish and chi-blast much more often.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Anyone know what the deal is with Blizzard? I can't really tell what the hell Ice Nova is or how it triggers. Does it trigger on every kill, and what does it actually do? Is it basically the same thing as the toxic corpse explosion, but with ice? It seems like there's very little to no graphical representation of an AOE attack occuring.

• Locked thread