Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Dumb jokes everywhere are kind of the appeal I guess, but most of it is too heavy handed for my tastes. Voice acting is mostly terrible. Dashing around everywhere is janky as all hell and I'm constantly getting caught on stuff, but you can make weapons overpowered enough that it generally doesn't seem to matter too much. I'm still towards the beginning of the game and a lot of fights are against big groups of boring floating sentry drones, but again dashing around like an idiot is so much fun that it makes up for it. UI is kind of awkward, and there doesn't seem to be a way to quicksell all the garbage you're picking up constantly.

The game feels like it needed another month or two just for polish to fix all the small issues. The UI, clipping NPCs, the uttlery bewildering rapid cuts in the tutorial quest that makes it seem like you're accidentally skipping cutscenes, the way collision in the hubs isn't perfect for getting around quick, etc. The fact that almost all of the UI artwork is just recycled from SW1's excellent animatics is just a giant flashing "we ran out of time" signal.

But the story no amount of month or two could fix. It's like they've got a completely different set of writers than Shadow Warrior 1. The tone is just off and it completely ignores all character development that happened in SW1. If the core combat and weapon design wasn't so loving amazing the game would be a in real trouble.

Also I hope if they do a DLC they give us more spells (where's the very cool shield spell from SW1?) and a gem system for spells with gems similar to the weapon-usage modifying ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
That's why I said small issues. The core combat is extremely solid - although I did start playing SW1 again to refresh on the story and I much prefer the combat pace in that too because it gives you time to actually line up all those cool tricks you can pull with the varied arsenal. And the writing is just so much better from the word go. Hoji is great and Wang is a loveable dork and minor rear end in a top hat, while Tamiko is annoying oblivious whiner and Wang 2.0 is just a hateful rear end in a top hat who occasionally dips into reedemable for a few lines every couple missions.

Again not saying SW2 is a bad game, but it's got pretty glaring problems which, for once, seems to be the review consensus too - good/great but flawed, rescued by fantastic core gameplay loop.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 19, 2016

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

One minor thing that got me with the writing that really feels like they got an entirely different writing team with no experience with the first game was when Mezu says that Hoji was using Ameonna the whole time. You know the guy who got his face cut off for loving her so much that the rain stopped because she was so happy being with him.

A good chunk of the writing is just so bitter, but then you have good stuff like Smith and just feels even more jarring.

The whole Ameonna stuff is just gross and childish. It's the kind of writing you'd find in GTA.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Anybody know what the effects of all the elements are? The only two that you can figure out from the game itself are toxic (causes corpses to explode) and ice (slows and freezes). No idea what the special effect of electric and fire is.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

I've seen it in a single mission.

Also for real fun, put a charge mod on the Gausszille (single-shot railgun). The charge time is almost exactly one fully upgraded vanish long, so you can vanish perfectly place a max damage shot.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

kuroiXiru posted:

They were twin assassins who worked for Zilla in Shadow Warrior 1.

I remember because they were on the ship level, which is easily the most boring one in the entire game.

They're also in the first mission of SW2 - they inject Kamiko and somehow end up on the top floor when Wang gets to her.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'd want a smash tv-style arena thing where the player starts with a melee weapon and guns with a set amount of ammo will pop up all over the place so you have to keep picking up new weapons to get more ammo

This is literally in SW1. It was really great, because you regularily got skill points, money and ki crystals so you could try to get a high score with different builds.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

They should just let you put multiple guns on the same number so repeat presses of that number cycle through whatever you've put on it.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Segmentation Fault posted:

Honestly I thought that was a great moment, it mirrored a similar moment early on in Shadow Warrior 2013 between Wang and Hoji.

Referencing another game is only a good idea if that game isn't vastly better. That moment just reinforced how much worse SW2 is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

I don't know what his problem in particular is, but I think the patch is really meh. Instead of going in and balancing all the guns so they're all equally viable, they just let you break all of them completely through grind. That's not design, that's lazy.

• Locked thread