Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Two Owls posted:

Why are the twins in the Wang Cave? Wha? Huh?

This, at least, I could understand with a bit of reading between the lines (and the chats between Wang and Kamiko): In addition to their cybernetic patch-jobs after Wang blew them to poo poo in Chapter 10 of the first game, Kyoko and Kagami have been hitting the Shade HARD. They're strung out and jonesing pretty badly, and in their withdrawal-addled state, they see an opportunity to get their fix AND their revenge at the same time. Of course they're crazy junkies and their plan is dumb as balls, and Wang sees through it straight away, but even so he can't resist the temptation of NEW CAR. When he gets close they detonate a bomb they'd planted and attack in mechs, but he destroys the mechs. Then they reveal that the mechs were remotely-operated and while he was fighting them, the twins stole all the drugs. Then Kamiko reveals that she poisoned the Shade batch in revenge for the twins injecting her at the beginning of the game. The twins will feel like death for the next few weeks. Wang never gets his car. No moral. The End!

quote:

It great fun and everything, but really feels like it needed one more pass to tighten everything up a bit.

This is true, but having played Hard Reset I must also say this could have been much worse in terms of being unfinished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Johnny Joestar posted:

you really, absolutely don't need to bring out spreadsheets and try to squeeze every single % out of a weapon to do well. i don't know why some people think that's a thing. the gem system could use some paring down but it's vastly better than sw1's system of handling things.

I think you could find a happy medium by bringing the upgrade system in line with the skill system and the weapons themselves - fewer total upgrades, received at a steady drip from shopping, boss monsters, and story progression, levelled with cash and MAYBE upgrade materials, focusing on the cool features like turrets or dual-wielding or ammo tweaks (piercing/scattershot/explosive etc) over grindy +number% poo poo. I could also see an Arcade Mode that dispenses with upgrades altogether and gives you every core ability from the outset, and progression is just a matter of getting good enough to handle the crazier late-game battles.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

ninjahedgehog posted:

I'm totally fine with the amount of weapons though. Even if a bow, a compound bow, and a plasma bow are functionally the same thing it's nice to have something different to look at filling up a quarter of your screen. :shrug:

Oh yeah, that's what I meant. The weapon selection is just about right for the amount of differentiation I'd like to see. Those three weapons you mentioned are similar in general functionality, but all have different stat lines and special features that feel distinct in gameplay. The Yumi is a little gimmicky with its proc, but the Bullseye & Barton rewards rapid fire to keep up your Critical streak, while ZI-R0B1N is more of a patient, sniping weapon.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

So what do these Orbs of Masamune do? I understand they're meant to upgrade the forge somehow but I can't see any prompt for that.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Zereth posted:

They were working for Zilla the last time they were seen before that in SW2, then suddenly they show up in the Wang Cave claiming to be working for Mezu. It really feels like there was a transition somewhere in there that's missing.

From a while back, and I may be reading too much into it, but in the second part of their sidequest the twins mention that the lab you're using to cook demon-meth was shut down after Wang rescued Kamiko.

The lab, in which they were last seen not only utterly failing to prevent Wang from rescuing Kamiko, but actively left her side to give chase to Wang, missed him altogether, and actually managed to lock themselves out so that they could do nothing but watch while Wang carried her out of the operating room that they were supposed to be guarding.

I'm thinking Mezu scraped them out of the bargain bin, then quickly came to understand why they'd been fired.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Zereth posted:

You can make a logical connection between the events which is consistent with the events actually in the game, but the game doesn't actually explain anything about how they went form workign for Zilla to chilling on Wang's couch.

Yeah I can't argue with that. The game's story really needed some more revision passes, and also for Ameonna to be a bit less...unfortunate.

e: Although I will say that I laughed my rear end off at her shipping Wang and Zilla over both of their protests until Wang decided to play along just to gently caress with Zilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Do you have the Elemental Armor skill? Because on Insanity 2 or higher, you really want to have the Elemental Armor skill, or you'll get melted by passive damage auras even if you don't take a single direct hit.

• Locked thread