Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I feel like a better description for this game is like Borderlands, but with way better gameplay and writing.

e: right click on upgrades on guns to remove them, go hog wild trying out upgrades until you find stuff you like. Skills can be reset from shops for a chunk of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Also you can channel the chi strike into a mighty boot like the Dukes of old by pressing C while doing a forward dash, it's very satisfying.

Basically this is an FPS Diablo where your FPS skills actually matter, and the stat micro-management takes a backseat.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Yeah it seems like only melee weapons kept a fiddle animation, it's a little disappointing but there's a lot more guns in this one so I guess I understand. Really wanted to spin the cylinder on The Duke, though. :sigh:

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's slow, but i modded it for charge shot and it's a great way to soften up a big group of enemies

I've been using charge shot and stacking damage radius increase on the Hauer for this same purpose, I should try using the Stick of Doom.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

My SMG is satisfying to shoot because it's solid gold. :hellyeah:

Has anyone noticed an issue with some of the in-game cutscenes where the dialogue lines will play over each other? Like Wang will respond to something someone says before they finish saying it?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Are they better than in Far Cry Blood Dragon? This is important.

Sometimes - there's actually more than one reload for some guns, because sometimes Wang just slams some shells home and sometimes he does the shell-juggling trick.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

Rather disappointed that my fears of Wang's character arc from the first game not sticking ended up being true, but it does play real well.

This also bummed me out a bit, just because I really liked the "sorry, I used to be an rear end in a top hat" character that Wang had become by the end of the first game. Maybe if they put a little more dialogue in about how Wang regressed after his attempts to save the world ended up causing the collision it'd feel less like a cop-out.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I like the game's de-emphasis on the parts of Diablo I don't like (min/maxing item stats) but I do wish the UI didn't also follow that philosophy. Being able to tag stuff as junk is great, but I'd kill for a "sell all junk" button, for example.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Alan Is More Upset posted:

I remember seeing a sell all junk button. It didn't do anything when I clicked it so I assume you have to tag stuff first.

That might just be the "sell junk" tab, which if you have junk tagged, will take you to an inventory screen of stuff that you still have to sell individually.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Attestant posted:

Dumb question, but how the heck do you even start coop? I'm trying with my buddy, and set Invite only game for 2 players. Invite doesn't seem to actually do anything?

If you're still in the first mission you'll want to finish that before you invite someone.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I have no idea how you'd think the menus are useful for playing with controllers, anyways. The weapon wheel is there mostly as a holdover from the previous game, but the inventory/shop stores are just a little too barebones as it stands.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Amusingly enough, Shadow Warrior 2013's plot was surprisingly conclusive and gave Lo Wang a solid character development arc, most of which has been ignored for the sake of the second game.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

InfinityComplex posted:

Honestly strikes me as odd since 2013's plot was actually pretty good. However I find this one's plot to be incredibly disjointed but coherent enough for you to understand things.

Yeah, unfortunately it seems like co-op brotimes and a compelling plot are still mutually exclusive for video games. It's a little sad, but the game we got is still pretty fun.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

"This game isn't as well-written as the first one" doesn't seem to be a particularly uncommon assessment of the game. It's still fun. People can criticize aspects of a thing they enjoy, it's actually pretty important to understanding why we enjoy things.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Copper Vein posted:

What in the gently caress is AlienFX?

I believe it's the support for Alienware peripherals that let the LED lights on them change color based on what's happening in the game.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I think that kind of gem was not included because it would lead to optimal gem loadouts, and people would farm for em.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Yeah I got a Swift & Messon pistol from a chest randomly, it looks really cool with a dual-wield gem but feels horribly inefficient. Rule of Cool trumps DPS stats, however.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Hopefully some kind of NG+ features are a post-release priority, I figure that's a pretty important part of any Diablo-esque game, even a simpler one like this.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I guess what bugs me about Shadow Warrior 2's bad writing is that "hey just focus on the fun shooty bits" doesn't hold up as well as a defense because the previous game had fun shooty bits and solid writing. And of course to reiterate, it doesn't make SW2 a bad game, but it does really feel like a step backwards in some regards.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Dual-wielding the Swift & Messon seems to be a terrible choice for all the reasons listed but it just looks so darn cool I can't stop

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Another problem is that the nature of how those side conversations are delivered to the player you can get bits of them out of order, or completely miss large chunks of them. It feels worse than missing the various side-bar journals and stuff.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I'd be really interested to hear what was a deal breaker in the most recent patch, if you feel like elaborating some.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I read that with a tone of irony and thought they'd somehow managed to make a christmas song actually offensive but you're right, it's just a dick joke with a solid guitar solo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

That seems like the wrong kind of thing to offer for a limited time. :stare:

• Locked thread