Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

so, is it possible to remove things you slot into weapons or at least replace them? i didn't particularly see an option jumping out at me, so i'm hesitant to start plugging stuff into weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ah, i must either be half blind or it's not super apparent in the UI. in any case, i'm enjoying the pseudo-rpg elements. so far i haven't cared way too much about the melee weapons, but hopefully i find something more interesting than swords and chainsaws.

anyone have an idea of how many weapons there actually are in the game?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think i'm in love with the stick of doom

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's slow, but i modded it for charge shot and it's a great way to soften up a big group of enemies

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's not even like the bone gun is overpowered or anything given how the upgrade system works

also, i'm amazed at how well the systems in the game worked. i never knew i wanted arpg-style mechanics with shadow warrior combat until now.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the jokes tend to hit that sweet spot of being just corny enough to where at worst they're fairly tolerable and at best they actually wrap around to being sorta funny given what all is going on

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i actually enjoy kamiko's interactions with lo wang. she's nice from an 'outsider' point of view, in that she's not entirely clued in on the absurd poo poo like hoji sort of was. it's fun when they actually manage to get along and crack jokes

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mordja posted:

I'm curious as to whether specific items have randomized traits or not. For example, from what I've read, one of the earlier bosses will always drop a specific set of bone claws. In my case, using any special attack with it gives a +15% crit chance for a few seconds, anyone else have a different effect with the same item?

i got that when i killed the chef, and it has the same effect from what i can tell. i'm assuming weapons will always have a certain bonus effect that's the same throughout games

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the weapon system really does remind me of the one from the project brutality mod for doom. everything has some sort of use, it's just up to the player to find out what they like and tailor it to their playstyle.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm already looking forward to whatever dlc they come out with for this game

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think a mild complaint i have is that 75% of the enhancements are crap and there's no reason to use them when chances are you'll have better things sitting around. it's not particularly an actual issue as much as it's 'i wish there was less clutter in the inventory'

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also, roughly how long is the game if someone does every side mission? i've just been knocking out the ones that pop up while the 'check kamiko's apartment' story mission sits there in the meanwhile.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

out of everything the writing quality definitely does seem to be lacking. it feels kind of stilted, partially due to the timeskip between the first and second game dumping you out in a setting that you're expected to be familiar with despite never seeing it before. it also comes off like the events of the first game had no real impact. i get that lo wang is intended to be a certain way, but it almost feels like it was mildly doubled down on despite everything that's happened to him. occasionally some of the jokes feel forced even if they don't necessarily come off as 'bad', and at times i was wishing that the protag would stop being so much of an rear end in a top hat.

it doesn't help that the first game's story was actually pretty decent for an fps, even if the gameplay dragged on at times. seems like those two things were flipped a little for the sequel. it's fun as hell to play, but it definitely does come off like a sequel for better or worse.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

one thing i wish is that there was a full map you could pull up when you're in a mission, so you can see where you have and haven't been. i know for a fact i've missed bosses and i hate missing out on weapons because of it, but the map is near-useless for anything that isn't currently relatively close to you.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Samurai Sanders posted:

drat that's a lot, but how many of them are functionally identical inside their category?

so far everything has been fairly unique in how it handles, along with things like exotic effects and built-in mods

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm genuinely surprised that there aren't unique mods that drop in the game. like, uniquely-named ones that have special, predetermined stat spreads that can radically change how a weapon functions. just make them purple or something, and have it so that only one can be equipped on a weapon at a time. bam. instantly another layer of customization.

i mostly thought of it from the weapons that already come with their own mods and how lackluster they kind of are. it'd be neat to see some of them come with their own unique things that players might actually want to keep on there

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i assume they would work the same way that weapons and skills do, in that there's a pool of them and they can be dropped from bosses, sold in the shops, or be quest rewards.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i feel like the storyline of this game can vaguely make sense if you just approach it from the angle of 'lo wang is having a weird coma dream for some reason and that's why everything is off and characters act different than how they did in the first game'

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm excited to learn that there's an amulet that lets you dual-wield assault rifles

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

is it just me or does it sometimes feel like small bits of the story were cut out here and there? like, for example, after ameonna betrays you (which i'm not particularly a fan of, honestly) and you meet up with mezu, suddenly the twins are just hanging out in your place because why not i guess.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if the gameplay wasn't so fun i'd be pretty disappointed by the story overall, but whatever. i'm looking forward to any dlc that comes out, and hopefully the first one adds some story content.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Lemon-Lime posted:

Unfortunately it takes up the amulet slot which means it competes with the marksman amulet and there's no way it can be as good.

i've sort of been ambivalent on amulets as it is because the negatives usually seem to hurt a fair bit. the marksman one looks pretty good but i actually do use the occasional chi heal or spikes.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it comes after a certain part in the story

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

character level stuff is mostly just quality of life junk and isn't necessary to kill things. enemies don't have levels and difficulty is entirely defined by the actual difficulty level along with how many players it's set for. you don't ever have to grind areas. multiplayer is completely ignorable if you never want to look at it. the 'loot' consists of things you're gonna get a million of anyways, and weapons and skills mainly drop from bosses during missions. upgrade things for weapons/whatever are very easy to just drop into something without actually caring about minmaxing at all. you genuinely never have to sit there and agonize over stats. just use some of your 8 weapon slots to have at least some of each of the 4 elements and maybe occasionally dip into the upgrade screen to change to new stuff if you feel like it

beyond that the gameplay is really fun. story kinda sucks, though, but it's kind of on the level i'd expect from basically any other fps game anyways.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if parts of the game didn't work as well as they did then i feel the overall package would have quickly fallen to pieces, honestly. everything working together the way it does sort of props up the fact that the story and overall characters are stilted and weird. it's still ultimately something i'm having fun with and i look forward to any dlc, but it's clear that to some extent i feel the devs might have gotten lucky given that on paper most of these features should have been a death sentence for a game of this sort.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

even with that being true, he starts acting like a caricature of himself at times and it gets kind of grating. the times i actually enjoyed his humor the most was when he was laughing WITH people or actually kind of accepting that he's getting older. walking up to an npc and breaking the ice with a petty insult got old super fast.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

DatonKallandor posted:

The whole Ameonna stuff is just gross and childish. It's the kind of writing you'd find in GTA.

lmao, that sums it up so well. in this game she's written like some middle-aged dude who hates his ex-wife wrote everything for her.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

CJacobs posted:

And regarding your spoiler, yeah, I felt the same way about it.

i mean, i get where the game was trying to go with it, but it's such a lovely cheap-out instead of actually writing something good. not to mention that it feels like a band-aid to explain the wildly different characterization that feels shoehorned in

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

wait, did you read any of the replies people gave you? things like dps don't matter at all and there's no levels for the weapons or monsters. the gameplay is better than 1's, even if the story sucks.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i saw...one, at the very least. i can't explicitly remember any others.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

their timeline in 2 is super baffling and another example of everything being stilted and weird

first they're working for zilla and doing experiment poo poo

then they somehow end up not in the lab and...unable to get to you when you free kamiko????

then fast forward a few acts and they suddenly start hanging out in your place with some note of 'i guess we're on the same side now' which makes literally no sense

and then, you do their quest chain, and of course they get killed off in a super anticlimactic way like the writers just wanted to get rid of them entirely and got tired of including them in some way despite the fact that they chose to include them in the first place

?????????????????

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'd want a smash tv-style arena thing where the player starts with a melee weapon and guns with a set amount of ammo will pop up all over the place so you have to keep picking up new weapons to get more ammo

Johnny Joestar fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 20, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you really, absolutely don't need to bring out spreadsheets and try to squeeze every single % out of a weapon to do well. i don't know why some people think that's a thing. the gem system could use some paring down but it's vastly better than sw1's system of handling things.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Hexenritter posted:

As a grown man with an unashamedly juvenile sense of humour because my inner child is a petty, infantile prick, I'm just fine with the jokes and general characterisation I've run across in the game thus far (I just got done with the "hunt down monster bits and golden chrysanthemum" thing, so I know it's early on yet). I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but immature, off-colour humour is part of the British cultural identity and I'm having fun with it. :colbert:

well, you've kinda not run into the vast majority of why a lot of people dislike the characterization so this isn't exactly surprising

also every shotgun is useful in some way. always keep one around

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i genuinely think kamiko was a fine side character, but one of the main issues was that the game didn't give enough moments for the reasons why to actually come through. there were a couple times where i was enjoying the conversation between her and wang but it wasn't often enough because half the time the game seemed more interested in wang saying some petty poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, i'm genuinely kind of curious as to what this patch in particular could have done since literally all it did was add extra poo poo for people to do.

• Locked thread