Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I just finished this game last night. Although I bought it on Steam's autumn sale, I was going to wait for my new computer to arrive before I played it, because I assumed my current rig wouldn't run it at all. But I was so antsy that I ended up trying it anyway on a whim, and to my surprise it ran. Not well, and the lowest quality textures look loving terrible, but it was playable enough.

I was really excited for this game. I loved the previous one and a mixture of that and Borderlands (which I also love) sounded like an awesome idea. I'm glad to say I wasn't disappointed in the least. Sure, the storytelling is pretty lacklustre and the missions are really repetitive, but I just can't bring myself to care overmuch because oh my god this is so much fun. I'm too tired just now to write any sort of coherent essay, so I'll just rattle off some random thoughts about the game here:

-I can see why people would dislike the game vomiting trash loot all over, but I personally have a pretty high tolerance for that kind of thing and will merrily keep picking up everything and hauling it to the vendors, because my lizard brain goes SEE SHINY THING MUST GET and likes the satisfying sound effect of picking stuff up. I'm sure as gently caress glad the game has unlimited inventory space though.

-The Wanglopedia background fluff was nice, I liked piecing together what had happened bit by bit. Every couple missions I'd take a little break from all the hypermurdering just to sort out all my new weapons and upgrades and poo poo and read a few codex entries while sipping coffee.

-The new fortune cookies with their random quotes still can't hold a candle to the hilariously dumbass puns in the original.

-People ITT have been making GBS threads on the machineguns and I just disagree. The Triple Six was one of my favourites, I upgraded it for just plain damage, crit and reload speed and it served me really well until the end of the game. Equally importantly it looked loving badass and had a nice satisfying firing sound. I didn't like the miniguns though, way too inefficient.

-The remote detonator upgrade for grenade launchers is the bee's knees. No need to try time the grenades or get direct hits, just fire away in the enemies general direction and detonate the grenade next to them like an airburst round. Or at their feet.

-The Springchester is cool as poo poo.

-Wang butchering Beatles tunes about Xing being just a head is the hardest I've laughed at a video game in a really long time. Like "I had to hit esc and sit in the menu for a minute until I settled down" hard.

9/10, thanks for this game Flying Wild Hog. Please make more of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Nordick posted:

9/10, thanks for this game Flying Wild Hog. Please make more of it.

The Kins posted:

The game has updated with a free little Xmas present from the Hogs...
Well, that was quick! :haw: Sounds like cool stuff, too.

Also, as I mentioned, I played through this game with a lovely computer, so I had to settle for really crappy graphics settings and it was still choppy as heck on my old abacus of a computer.
Well, I got a new computer just yesterday, so moved over my save files, reinstalled this game on the SSD and fired it up. I cranked everything the hell up and just about creamed my pants. It's goddamn gorgeous and runs smooth as butter. This kind of fast, furious and colourful action is just fantastic to put this new rig through its paces.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Because Christmas is a limited time event.

I'm also pretty reasonably certain they'll just attach the reward to some other new quest afterwards.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm in the very beginning of my New Game + and was able to do the mission right away :shrug:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah, the first playthrough is mostly just for finding all the guns to begin with. NG+ is where the loot treadmill actually starts for realsies.

• Locked thread