Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Player stats don't affect damage at all and enemies don't have levels so your level doesn't matter. Co-op is drop in/drop out from any point in either person's campaign, and mission progress made as a partner doesn't carry over to their own game.

Do other people in multiplayer still make progress in all ways that aren't mission completion? Skills/weapons/weapon upgrades, etc

I want to play from start to finish in co-op as long as the non-host player still stays on par with the host in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Heads up if you play co-op, back up your save regularly because it could get wiped

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They need to fix player 2 not getting anything from the bunny lord. It just pops out of existence when it dies and you don't get anything

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Does +5% critical chance on a weapon means your base 5% chance gets added to for a total of to 10%, or does it mean the 5% gets multiplied for a total of 5.25%?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don't see what's surprising about it. They got the action part of an action game right. Very right, in a lot of ways. They knew what was most important to focus on, and that makes a lot of its flaws very forgivable.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I am really enjoying how killed enemies randomly go sailing into the thermosphere sometimes. Melee weapons, guns and grenade launchers all do it and it makes me smile every time :allears:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is there any eventual possibility of basic modding? I like some of the features of hard mode and really hate others (the sometimes almost constant groups of 3-5 superior enemies who can be damage sponges to the point of taking 30 seconds to kill individually). Would enjoy a greater number of lower-health enemies instead of the same number of enemies but with more health.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Playing with lag will give you a serious appreciation for the health skill. 2 points for 20 health is peanuts anyway

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The only listed effects on ammo doubling, as well as the only ones I've noticed myself experiencing, are more damage and 2 ammo cost per shot

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

So would everybody, but as I discussed earlier in the thread there's probably significant performance issues with pushing the enemy count much higher than it already goes.

Its a common problem in FPS design. You design encounters for normal mode to have 20 enemies and then give them enough polys to look good and render 20 of them on screen at once, but then you want to offer hard and very hard difficulties. Short of re-creating the models and animations for those enemies at lower levels of detail (tons of work) the only real option is to buff their HP.

But bullet sponges are never as fun as just killing more enemies, I completely agree. I think most FPS games need to deliberately include some extremely low-poly mook enemies so they can flood the game with them if they want to.

Without changing enemy numbers at all (probably a difficult thing to mod, I'm aware) I would like to see enemies have less health but be more dangerous or interesting to fight in other ways (simply making superior guys way more rare would go a long way to making this happen, or removing the "physical resist" trait because it sucks). In solo normal I can kill little guys in 1 hit from a burst damage weapon and that feels really good. in multiplayer Hard, some enemies can withstand an entire clip point blank. Then it spawns 3-5 of these guys at once sometimes, and your powers aren't guaranteed to work on them. It makes me wary of adding a third player to the game, because this aspect of it would drag on even longer.

I enjoy more enemies having resistances and weaknesses on hard because it encourages you to quick switch weapons around and react on the fly. If I could get that aspect of Hard combined with the lethality of the enemies, but not the sponginess, it would be awesome.

Nuclear throne gets this right: It's constantly increasing the difficulty, but long before it just adds to the health of the existing enemies, it keeps throwing more of them at you. This means the game gets more satisfying the more difficult it gets, because you're cleaning through enemies faster. If you make a game harder by just giving enemies more health, then higher difficulty becomes less satisfying, because it just takes longer to beat the same number of dudes.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ok

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Does multiplayer difficulty do anything more than multiply enemy health per player? Because I've played other games like borderlands where more players just means more enemy health, and this game seems to get a lot harder with another player than those do, which I wouldn't expect if all it did was add 100% health per extra player.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

strenghts

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

they work like shotguns from Payday 2 except the shotguns actually deal damage

So hitting with 1 pellet does no less damage than hitting with 8?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I thought being able to grab king skeletor through the window was intentional

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lazer Monkey posted:

No word on that damage resist bug mentioned earlier.

Yes there is?

quote:

- "Damage resist" player stat now works properly

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

As a co-op client I didn't get the movement speed skill, and I also can't use the crafting anvil. I seem to be permanently locked out of the skill and the ability to craft without playing all the way there on that save in singleplayer. Also why do you not get mission progress as a client. Glad the bunny lord loot was fixed for clients though

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 22, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Getting upgrades and sometimes weapons isn't motivation for exploration? What?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Malek posted:

Unless I missed something, I get more skill points by just going straight the objective and finishing the quest asap. What upgrades are you referring to?

The weapon upgrades that pop out of almost every enemy and box nonstop.

Also money, and even if those weren't there and all you got was karma for killing things, that would be enough because the action is really fun and easily the best thing about the game. There's not a lot of entirely unique content to find other than the boss on each sidequest, but saying it's detrimental to explore makes no sense.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Can't say enough good about this game's graphics and especially its optimization. There's a lot of good looking games but they're optimized like trash so they never look as good as they could, even on newer GPUs. But this game runs at 60 FPS with graphics maxed for me, which is amazing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ninjahedgehog posted:

I'm envisioning a fun gimmick mode where you never reload or switch weapons (except for maybe fast-swapping to the katana), but once you empty a magazine the game automatically equips a random gun from your inventory.

Gun game would be fantastic for SW2.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Might be obvious but I noticed chests with weapons in them look different.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The weapons are extremely fun to use but I agree with the posts earlier that the shotgun implementation is weird. I hit a lot of stuff that's barely on the screen, and accuracy stat doesn't really even seem to matter. You can glide around enemies and just click away and you'll hit things nowhere near the crosshair for full damage as if you hit them with every pellet.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've actually been enjoying how shadow fury removes all the clutter from the screen except for the one thing you need to know when you're using it, which is where to point the minigun.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What even was that experience gained cap? Limited the amount you could get per enemy, per mission, ?

Changes all look really good.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Multiplayer definitely hurts performance a lot, game is still optimized ridiculously well graphically but something about being in multiplayer with just one other player hits my frame rate hard in some areas, while it's 60 FPS almost all the time solo

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

None of the story/quest related poo poo in this game makes any sense.

Just about every dialogue ends extremely abruptly, missing a solid paragraph of followup that should be there.

After dragon mountain gets hosed up by zilla and kamiko's body runs away, as soon as you go back there it's completely fine as if nothing happened. Nobody there has anything to say about what just happened.

After you talk to the photo guy and he runs away, clearly leaving you with nothing from that quest, wang and the muscle demon act like you brought back photos from him. What?

When the muscle demon attacks you, he completely disappears the moment the cutscene is over and you just kill some other demons instead.

Then you go and just push some buttons to turn off the towers, which makes wang and kamiko repeatedly reference what you did as "blowing up" the towers. You didn't blow them up! They're still right there!!

Mamushi heika starts talking about DYING FOR HER IDEALS BUT YOU DON'T HAVE IDEALS DO YOU WANG as she's killing herself. What are her ideals then? What is she even talking about here?

Now those 2 random-rear end women from the second level are just sitting on the couch in the wang cave and I can't talk to them. What?

I was only in it for the action but drat, even with no story/writing-related expectations going in I cannot find a shred of coherence here.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

LMGs/SMGs/assault rifles seem to be balanced around some magical ideal represented by their DPS, where they're perfectly accurate and nothing ever moves. In actuality they perform far worse than almost anything else because they're really inaccurate and enemies dodge around constantly, or knock you around. The bullet reflection some enemies do also punishes those weapon types and basically nothing else. As it is, virtually the only thing they have going for them is the fact that they can at least do mediocre damage at ranges where most of the burst damage weapons become impractical, and they can clean up weak junk like stingers and ratverines quickly. Which is also true of basically every other weapon in the game--those enemies are a non-issue.

Even when they do actually get to perform at their max DPS, that DPS is only on par with everything else, if not worse. Their value is always less than or equal to that of other weapons.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 30, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

MJ12 posted:

The gatling guns are decent because they have okay per-bullet damage and great RoF, plus a very large ammo capacity.

The Lone Badger posted:

Raven is good.

I wasn't referring to the raven because it actually does have great raw DPS to make up for the fact that it has other enormous disadvantages, which gives it a unique role (grinding up all your heavy ammo and endangering yourself to murder everything in close range right the gently caress now). It's the SMGs and assault rifles (and to a slightly lesser extent the LMGs) that are not on par with most of the other weapons. Except against enemies that are a non-issue anyway, they don't really do a whole lot better than any other kind of weapon. LMGs fare a bit better than SMGs and ARs since their higher DPS means they can whittle down enemies with big enough hitboxes, but even a lot of burst weapons can do that really well too, like just directly hitting them with grenade launchers.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The trials seem not so good. With the exception of the last, they are all big arenas where a huge number of enemies auto-detect you and will clear the map in about 2 jumps to get to you, so it quickly turns into either an incomprehensible mess or a bunch of kiting. One of them is also segmented by foliage and spiderwebs everywhere so you have even less of an idea what the hell is going on than the others.

I assume they are also intended for NG+/the higher tiers of insane, because doing all of them on hard gave me ~50 orbs, with embedding one gem into one weapon costing as much as 210.

It doesn't really hurt the quality of the game since it was released for free and is doesn't interfere with the existing content at all, but it's not really what I was hoping for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's out now

http://steamcommunity.com/games/324800/announcements/detail/289752337994460355

quote:

A Santa impersonator turned out to be a Santa imposter! Help Lo Wang gather the lost Christmas gifts in this limited time winter event with a new snowstorm weather type, festive enemies, and a special holiday gift for those Wangsters that complete the mission!

Christmas quest will be waiting for you at Dragon's Mountain after completing "Zilla Attack" mission.

Find the Christmas tree on training grounds past Hideo's shop and help Lo Wang save Christmas!

Patch 1.1.7.0 also includes:

UI:
- Added gem filtering
- Fixed inventory hang bug
- Added option for canceling conversations using "Escape" on keyboard or "B button" on gamepad
- Fixed calculating multiline label size
- Added hiding client hud after a challenge
- Fixed gem crafting exploit
- Fixed an issue with embedding elemental gems
- Fixed an input bug that could occur after dying in challenges while in menus
- Fixed crafting gems that are restricted to weapons

Multiplayer:
- Various stability fixes
- Fixed a possible crash after using explosive bolts

Photo mode:
- Fixed "Lock in first person" screenshots
- Fixed "screenshot" command in photo mode