Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Bought this game on Steam sale and it's a ton of fun! I liked Borderlands so the silly gear grind is right up my alley, and this one is way better than Borderlands so far.

But here's my question: does this game have a Diablo/Borderlands-style NG+ loop where it keeps getting harder? If so, is there any reason for me to crank up the difficulty in the first playthrough? I'm at about 50% completion and it's pretty easy on normal difficulty, very little stuff hurts me, but I'm wondering if it's just better off to get all the skills and guns before I start messing around with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

40 Proof Listerine posted:

It absolutely does have the NG+ loop going for it, and additional difficulties unlock as you level up. Cranking up the difficulty not only increases the challenge, but increases the level and variety of the gems that drop. You'll still get access to the same guns regardsless of what difficulty you're on. On the first playthrough, play whatever you're comfortable with, then on New Game+ crank up the difficulties as you unlock them and it'll be rated very close to your current power level.

Cool. I'm gonna power through the rest of NG on normal then.

This game is a loving blast and pretty much every new weapon is a treat. It got right what Borderlands got wrong, for sure. It's a little repetitive for sure, but it's basically the FPS version of Dynasty Warriors for me and that's just fine.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Ok got to NG+ and tried Insanity 2 since I was within the level range... and got melted immediately, several times. Guess I'll stick to 1 for now.

Do you just need to stack a bunch of good damage resist gems to survive, or are higher tiers a big damage race?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Okay, I followed your advice and maxed out Elemental Shield... and I'm taking damage from auras still. So is "vulnerability reduced by 100%" not actually immunity like it seems to read?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Do you have one or more gems equipped that lower your elemental defense? That'll knock you under 100%.

It doesn't look like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

sockpuppetclock posted:

You'll still take dmg when you're right next to them but you won't get any DoT effects on you.

Yeah I'm seeing this now, Insanity 2 isn't too bad anymore.

So I tried Insanity 3 and everything kills me in like 3 hits, haha. Slapped on the reincarnation amulet, which is helpful, although I really don't like that you don't even get 1 second of invincibility after you revive yourself, so if you're downed once you better get used to being downed for the rest of the fight. Also orb rewards on higher difficulties aren't loving high enough. Only 37 orbs for finishing a mission and upgrades require 300+, gently caress off.

• Locked thread