Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Decided to pick this up now because I've heard nothing but good things and I bought the first game for like 10 bucks and I think they deserve more of my money for that as well.

Rather disappointed that my fears of Wang's character arc from the first game not sticking ended up being true, but it does play real well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The overall writing is still entertaining enough, but yeah its a very valid complaint to say the writing is worse when the first game actually had good writing.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 15, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jack Trades posted:

Jeeesus...Level 5 Serene Mind + Vanish is so incredibly broken it turned fairly challenging Hard Mode into a cakewalk.
Level 5 Serene Mind is essentially Infinite Chi, it is amazing in general.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Man this is the second time where I got stuck in the scenery trying to jump to a ledge and unable to continue. They really need to fix this.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Mordja posted:

If Flying Wild Hog teams up with CD Projekt RED and designs the combat for Cyberpunk 2077 I will never need another game.
poo poo, don't tease me like this.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Zaphod42 posted:

Try using T to warp back to town, and then again to warp back to where you were. That can un-stick you.
It didn't the first time I tried and I assumed it wouldn't work again the second time it happened.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jack Trades posted:

Ugh. Serene Mind Lvl 5 seriously needs to be nerfed by at least 50%.
But I love keeping enemies in an infinite loop of being on their rear end with my Chi Blast spam.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

What's the purpose of the ammo counter on the chainsaw?
It's how long you can have it revved. (Which is a real long time considering.)

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 17, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

municipal shrimp posted:

Does your goofy spirit buddy from the first game come back? This is critical to whether I buy the game or not.
Nope, still dead.

I'll also agree that the writing is all over the place in quality. Main narrative-wise it feels like it was written by someone that never worked on the first game, seeing is that how Wei's arc goes nowhere, even to the point I'd say he regresses into more of an rear end in a top hat than he was in the beginning of the first game at times, and some returning characters have such dramatically different personalities for the worst. The codices are actually solidly written though and explain a lot that the main narrative proper doesn't. It's really odd.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 18, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Also when it comes to gems just focus on all the ones except the straight weapon ones. Most of them are just vendor trash and aren't as good as the elemental gems or alt-fire/alt-ammo gems.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Just beat it. Some of worries were justified, the writing wasn't as good and it did get bogged down a bit with vendor trash, but ultimately the combat was fun and it was well worth playing.

I might mess around with co-op later.

I missed getting the sword for beating the final boss, can I just get it by loading the file beating them again, or do I have to replay the whole game again?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
One minor thing that got me with the writing that really feels like they got an entirely different writing team with no experience with the first game was when Mezu says that Hoji was using Ameonna the whole time. You know the guy who got his face cut off for loving her so much that the rain stopped because she was so happy being with him.

A good chunk of the writing is just so bitter, but then you have good stuff like Smith and just feels even more jarring.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

nerdz posted:

did they release any sort of material to bridge the gap between the games like a comic book? it's easy to figure things out but they really leave too much to be figured out.
The End Time News codices fill in stuff well, which is weird that they just relegated all that info to that instead of an opening cutscene.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

nerdz posted:

they really hosed up with the wangopedia, it's just drops that you don't auto pick for some reason and I never ever read any of them.
They're actually probably the best written parts of the game, they're pretty decent.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DatonKallandor posted:

The whole Ameonna stuff is just gross and childish. It's the kind of writing you'd find in GTA.
Yup.

As I said, compare stuff like that to Smith's backstory where his maternal grandfather took him in and loved him unconditionally despite everyone else around them hating Smith for his dad being black.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 19, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Geight posted:

I guess what bugs me about Shadow Warrior 2's bad writing is that "hey just focus on the fun shooty bits" doesn't hold up as well as a defense because the previous game had fun shooty bits and solid writing. And of course to reiterate, it doesn't make SW2 a bad game, but it does really feel like a step backwards in some regards.
Yeah, also not to mention in the interim between the two games we've had stuff like new Wolfenstein which had genuinely good writing too to the point where they made freaking BJ a fleshed out character. Hell even new Doom has surprisingly solid writing in how tongue in cheek it is and how it also gave Doomguy some personality.

2 is a real fun game, but I think 1 still edges out for me because I'm one of those nerds that values a good narrative in a game and the first game surprised me in how it solid it was.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DatonKallandor posted:

Anybody know what the effects of all the elements are? The only two that you can figure out from the game itself are toxic (causes corpses to explode) and ice (slows and freezes). No idea what the special effect of electric and fire is.
Poison does DoT as well as having the enemy explode if they die while poisoned.

Ice slows enemies down and causes them to shatter.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Zagrod posted:

Quick non-scientific poll:

1) Did you guys meet this monster during the game?

Nope, not at all. Where did you run into it?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Zagrod posted:

It's supposed to be a random spawn in the "Ancient" setting - basically the one that's not a city. I'm trying to check if there's something wrong with it's spawn rate
Must be because I did every sidequest and never ran into it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

SinineSiil posted:

Is there a skill that reduces the time it takes to get up from high falls?
There is an action to speed up falling and go into a roll when you hit the ground, its Control on KB+M. I don't know about controllers but there is a tutorial for it in the Wangpedia that should tell you the button.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

SinineSiil posted:

I'm aware of that, it only gets me down faster, getting up is still as as slow as ever.
I assume there isn't anything like that then.
Nope.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Losing experience is dumb as poo poo, the hell are they thinking?

It should be just losing money if anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, they do.

They've also said that they're planning on releasing free content in the future, like a challenge mode and new missions.

• Locked thread