Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I slotted the triple barreled shotgun with the skill that lets you shoot 3 barrels at once, another one with +27% damage and %3 lifesteal and one with extra crit chance and damage bonus. All my armor skills are crit chance and crit damage boost. All the power skills are extra chi and chi drain.

Playing on insane Act 3, almost nothing survives a single shot so far and one shot regens all your HP and Chi, which makes it pretty easy to abuse vanish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

SweetBro posted:

You either a real badass ninja standing in a sea of your enemies corpses with your blood soaked swords/claws, ninja amulet equipped, and a staggering erection in your pants. Or you a bitch rear end fucc-boi.

I did the first half of insane on those daggers that you do the spinning stinger attack. The stinger attack on them is ridiculously overpowered and hit multiple times in a really bugged way where you can shake the mouse around and hit a huge area in front of you.

Then I got enough items to slot more ranged weapons. The thing about firearms is that you can't really do anything without having at least 3 ammo types covered. If you can't do that, you'll run out of ammo ridiculously fast.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kuroiXiru posted:

I was getting bored so I started over and wow, the game's much better on Insane. And I don't even like hard games.

I'll have to persuade my brother to go for at least Hard on our co-op playthrough.

I think you eventually have to change it to insane once you get good enough drops and start figuring out good combos, or else the game gets absurdly easy.

Sometimes it will throw you a ridiculous enemy combination that kills you over and over but there's always a solution for these encounters.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

I had to drop the difficulty on co-op, so you may have to as well. I'm not sure if that's because the bonus player scaling overpowers the difficulty or if that's just because my friends were dummies who hadn't yet figured out how to properly gem weapons to do good damage, but it felt like a slog. (It could very well be the latter)

That's how Diablo works, and this is kinda based on Diablo.

In Diablo they're not really even difficulties, they're level progression. You beat one and then you go on to the next. Calling that difficulty is a misnomer.

Yeah, before I had access to some good gems for firearms they really really sucked,and they suddenly they're ridiculously strong.

Well, the difference compared to diablo is that you can change them on the fly so don't wait until you beat it to bump it up. Borderlands does the same thing as diablo.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

You can do insanity and force 4-player difficulty even without 4 players, so that's coming close (and reminds me of diablo 2 monster difficulty /px command)

But additional difficulties above insanity would be a nice thing to patch in, yeah.

I hope they add in some boss challenges, but not as bullshit stupid as the ones in Borderlands DLC.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

McKilligan posted:

I'm about 25% through the game, but drat if the game doesn't get just hard as gently caress sometimes. I started on Hard difficulty, as per the thread recommendation, and I am just constantly running low on ammo. In the tech-y levels it seems like ammo is much more available, but whenever there's forests/shrines all my bullets just disappear into the ether, then when I get gibbed I have to go back again with even less ammo against enemies back at full health.

I'm still only getting lvl 30-ish upgrades (and barely have a dozen weapons at this point), so I'm sure eventually I'll find some solid loot/combinations, but some of the missions are pretty hard. I've maxed out Stinger and Vortex, which help a lot, but definitely need to experiment some more.

Yeah, you'll need to rely on melee weapons a lot before you get the ammo skills. I recommend the short daggers, since with some crit chance and crit bonus gems they one hit almost everything on a fully changed stinger and you can move the mouse around after releasing to hit more enemies like a mini vortex. One amulet that made things a lot easier for me at first was the healing spell free to cast but you couldn't use health packs. I always fall back on it when I'm facing harder enemies.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, she is the complete opposite of goofy. I guess the only positive thing is that she makes Wang wonder if he's getting old, which is interesting for him.

Shadow warrior 3 needs to go back to Old Wang but less racist.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kikkelivelho posted:

They also took the lack of enemy types criticism to heart from the first game. I'm constantly surprised that after already encountering what must be almost 30 different mobs I'm still coming across new ones in almost every mission.

even though I like the combat, the enemy variety feels weird. There's tons of models but somehow the strategy to kill them is just "shoot them until they die", no special attacks to avoid beside the hook one. Unlike in the first game that had a bit more of encounter design that required changes in strategy, here it feels a bit more like diablo: out DPS your enemies, dash away to heal, repeat. This time you never get in a situation where you can't run away due to the random spawns and open areas. Even though I hate dying constantly, even on Insane the survivability is a bit too good if you have high offense, you can get away with zero survivability skills.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just enjoy it the same way I enjoy EDF,i think it's a good comparison

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
did they release any sort of material to bridge the gap between the games like a comic book? it's easy to figure things out but they really leave too much to be figured out.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Accordion Man posted:

The End Time News codices fill in stuff well, which is weird that they just relegated all that info to that instead of an opening cutscene.

they really hosed up with the wangopedia, it's just drops that you don't auto pick for some reason and I never ever read any of them.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Accordion Man posted:

They're actually probably the best written parts of the game, they're pretty decent.

they make me stop shooting which by itself is pretty drat bad. i could do with some voice logs that weren't hidden inside a menu though.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

McKilligan posted:

So, yesterday I was saying that the game was pretty hard early on - I've finalyl got far enough and enough upgrades to tweak myself into a beatiful whirlwind of death. I just slotted all of my armour upgrades with "_______ of fluke" to increase my critical chance as much as I could, then put as many +critical damage weapon upgrades on my sword as possible and popped in the Ninja amulet for the +30% melee damage. I am become death. I'm still pretty early on, I've only just got to the forge upgrade section and done some side missions about tea and sex slaves, but every 4th or 5th strike from my sword just DECIMATES whoever I'm fighting, and when it procs on a Stinger or Vortex everything just dies immediately. I imagine that as my crit % goes up throughout the game, it's only going to get more OP.

Speaking of which, I can't seem to bear to break my addiction to Wang's default katana - what's the main difference between that and the short blades? I know that they have a higher rate of attack, but is their range reduced, or just slightly lower damage/high RoF? I think I'll do a bit of experimentation on the different blades later.

It's also very freeing to realize that the weapon upgrades aren't specifically NECESSARY in order to make any of them decent - a blank weapon will still do appreciable damage to whatever you're firing it at. When I first started playing the sheer range of options for every weapon and upgrade slot was stymieing, in between each little 10-minute side mission I was spending like 30 minutes loving around with new weapon/upgrade combinations. It takes a fairly long time to figure out which upgrades are really worthwhile and swap things around with minimal fuss, and there's a whole range of upgrades that I consider almost entirely useless (seriously, Has ANYONE ever bothered wasting a gem slot increasing their defense/resistances rather than just going full glass-cannon mode?)

the short blade stinger attack hits multiple times and procs crits basically every time thus one shotting everything. try it.

and yeah, no reason at all to invest in survivability. just put all the spell slots on extra chi and chi drain and you'll never lack chi for healing.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

InfinityComplex posted:

So I see that people want to see the return of the swarms of flying rear end in a top hat pricks who never flew on your level and that you could only slaughter by using a flamethrower that was more useless than the smgs.

Also constantly teleporting banshees.

To be honest I do. They give you all these new combat options and then reduce the enemy combat options, what the hell? I'd love to play the first game with the weapon and skill system from this one.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Magnus Condomus posted:

I would just like to say that sticking the "shoot three barrels at once" mod on the Triad revolver along with the ammo doubler and explosive ammo mods was the best/worst choice I ever made. It uses the entire magazine when you fire it, does 500 damage across three bullets, and is horribly inefficient but drat if it isn't satisfying to hit things with and watch them explode into chunks.

put the triple barrel and two elemental gems on the cerberus shotgun and do 1500 damage to everything in a 180 degree radius in front of you.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Magnus Condomus posted:

I think I did that as well, but for some reason the Triad just felt better even though I know it has less total potential damage.

Here's a fight with one of the insanity mode Skull enemies using it. Side note, Xbox Game DVR is not very good at recording gameplay, but its also free with windows 10.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMjmHWQ2ifQ&hd=1

I'm not lying when I say that a single point blank shot with the cerberus would kill 2-3 of them per shot. It feels like the shotguns have guaranteed penetration in their shots.

For single target damage you can actually get ridiculous damage per shot and a way better fire rate with one of the rail guns which I forgot the name. Explosion mod, best elemental gem you got and something extra here like crit chance+crit damage. I killed the last boss on insane with like 7 shots. It can crit on hit for 2k damage and then explode for extra 2k damage.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zagrod posted:

Quick non-scientific poll:

2) (For people playing on Insane) - was the game difficult enough? Too easy or too hard?

I felt survivability was a bit too good even with zero defense oriented gems or skills. Not dying all the time is actually fun, but you really can take a lot of punishment and you have a pretty good time window to fall back and heal in almost all situations. Weirdly enough, certain enemies like the bell dude and tumors were a one hit kill slog over and over again. A lot harder than the rest of the other enemies. So maybe balance enemy damage a bit?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kobogartimer posted:

This game is awesome, but I love shotguns, and I don't like the way shotguns work. They're effective, but you literally don't have to aim them. It feels like it just hitscans your entire screen and considers range.

I don't see the problem there? Just click, huge boom, everything dies. I agree that they're basically a melee weapon here though.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm impressed with the support they're giving to the game. I hope this expands into free content and also paid DLC, which I would buy in a heartbeat.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
getting lots of crashes to desktop with this new patch. 3 within an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's an alternate way to get the reward anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK5IxAuLYq4

• Locked thread