Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Already diving into another one, huh? Well, good luck with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

theshim posted:

It helps that most of the class portraits are pretty good again.

Most of them.

Yeah, I really didn't like EO4's portraits overall. They were really boring and bland compared to EO3's. EO5's portraits are a lot better.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

RIP my :catdrugs: Herbalist.

Looks perfect, exactly what I had in mind. Also hooray! :toot:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Nameless for our Guild name.

Classes: Fencer, Dragoon, Reaper.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

If 'Nameless' wins, can we literally leave the guild name blank, or put in some ellipses or something?

The guild name is essentially what characters refer to the player as, so I dunno if that would work out too well in writing.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Technically you don't need a healer in any of the EO games (well, no idea about EO5), but how rough the going will get depends on the game. Doing so in say, EO4, is fairly doable while doing it in EO1 is practically suicidal, though ultimately possible.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm getting the sense from your description that, while ailments work against enemies, they're still closer to Final Fantasy utility levels (almost invariably less useful than simply hitting them) than MegaTen levels (a vital part of random encounters, much less bosses). Is that fair? Seems like binds are where it's at in the debuff department.

Dunno about EO5, but it is definitely not true in the EO games starting from 4. Ailments and binds can buy you several free turns on a boss if you apply the right ones. If you're playing EO1, yeah binds are the way to go because ailments will rarely land on bosses. Though stuns were utterly broken in that game because nothing in the game was resistant to it at all.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Stick with Greg and Falz.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Nope. I don't think anyone knows what's in the extra data EO4 lets you write to the SD card, either.

If the Untold extra data and how it was used in EO2U was any indication, your party data on the guild card is stored there. No idea if anything else would be contained.

But I doubt we'll ever find out without someone looking through the code or something.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

e: nvm

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 20, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Mio, Magda, Kaelin.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Looks like it should be quintuple and 250 judging from the enemy formation and that exp payout.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I guess I'll be going with Sasha, Raven, and Dosen for my votes.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I don't know about difficulty yet, but I'd say Golem is certainly the most creatively designed and strategically implemented of the first stratum bosses. Remember back in EO1 when the first major boss was just "big wolf with ice attacks and calls friends"? My, but we have come a long way since then.
:
Well, Fenrir was basically a damage check. As well as most other first bosses in the series aside from Narmer. If you couldn't kill him fast enough, he would either kill you first, or the Skolls would overwhelm you.

Assuming you didn't abuse Immunize. :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Annointed posted:

Is Etrian Odyssey seriously trying to goad newbies into thinking the game isn't that hard, if at all by making the first boss derp out? I've played through 1-3 and not once did I see a boss waste his time like that.

From what Ragnar told me, and from the playthroughs I've seen, Golem does not usually do this. Might be possible that he stumbled upon a hole in the AI and caused it to go crazy.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I'm fairly certain that normal attacks are meant to be an emergency measure of sorts. Only resorted to when everyone's out of TP, or if you don't want to use up any TP on a particular fight. TP usage is a pretty big part of the whole resource management angle the series goes for, so I doubt they'll ever try to make something you can use for free that useful. Otherwise the only limiting factor in explorations would be the inventory space.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I'd say Fortresses in EO4 were a really powerful support class.

The problem is, not a lot in that game actually warranted using one. EO4 rewards offensive play far more than defensive play, and a lot of enemies in that game aren't as dangerous as the enemies in other EO games. Which doesn't mean that the class isn't good at its job, Fortresses are pretty much unkillable late-game. Though unless your party is that squishy, another attacker in that party slot might net you more results. The one time in the game they really shine is against the post-game final boss, if you didn't bother weakening it. Which was completely optional and not even required for 100% completion.

Bombardment Prep not working with Buster Cannon is disappointing. I thought it was Charge + Front Mortar all over again. :v:

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 3, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Huh. I thought making Barrier effectively only usable every other turn would have made it garbage, but from what it sounds like, it's still useful?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I don't know what's worse, Squirrels stealing threads to leave you to die in the Labyrinth, or them just being straight out for your blood now.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Something that kind of came to mind, how well does EOV support running multiples of the same classes? It was a thing you could do in the earlier games, but it had the problem of narrowing what your party was capable of (ESPECIALLY in EO1.) Subclassing in EO3 and 4 kind of alleviated that issue, and I imagine specializations in EOV might differentiate some of the classes enough to get around it entirely?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

It feels weird to not have Scatter About around anymore. On the other hand I can't say I'll miss it. The song wasn't that great in the first place and just kept getting worse every time the series remixed it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

A couple of the classes' skills seems like they're trying to take advantage of accumulative resistance and immunities in the sense that if the ailment doesn't land, you still get something out of it. Though Three-Stage Strike has way too low of a base chance and damage output to even be used for either purpose.

Dark Flame Master posted:

How do they even hold that many swords at once? Do they like, tape them to their ears and headbang?

Look closer at the Masauro artwork, they're attached to their wrists. Though I don't think that would actually works out if you tried that yourself. :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I actually didn't notice that! You're right, though. I glossed over it mostly since Call Allies isn't really a skill, it's something rolled into the Haughty Hermit's AI script, which I can't read at all.

You'd probably have to dig into the game code to read those as even with EO1 using lookup tables for its AI scripts, a lot of those values won't make sense unless you specifically know what they represent. I'd imagine raw actual scripts would be even harder to decipher.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

How is TP recovery in this game? In EO2U, it was very lacking since you couldn't buy Amritas until you got to the 4th Stratum. And I believe the only other method was a dish that recovered a very small percentage of TP per turn.

I know there's Magic Heal, which is fairly helpful early on. And the potential truckload of Amritas you can grab.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Clarste posted:

You can eat Pancakes.

Fascinating.

(And there's your new page.)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Alexis, Cecil, Gram

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Multistrike Form on the basic spells gives you more damage than Compression Form on the higher tier spells on average, though it's not as reliable as Compression Form. (You do lose out on Mag Attack Up and Common Magic, though.) So go with Master of the Six Ways. Also Gunpowder Dragoon, Combo Boxer, Death-Bringing Reaper, Spirit-Destroying Necromancer.

As for names, Harvester for the Reaper.

Edit: actually, Edgelord is better.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 12, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

theshim posted:

There are also firsts in the series - actual undead.

It was always interesting to me how EO was always fighting creatures and animals. This is the first time you fight things like skeletons!

Yeah, EO was generally fairly grounded with a lot of its enemies since most of them were just different forms of wildlife. Outside of bosses, I think this is the first time more fantastical things like the undead got put into the mix.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

werbear posted:

Respawning F.O.E.s? That sounds... ugly. Killing them is my Plan B if I can't be bothered with the puzzle and my Plan A on return trips to the stratum.

I know F.O.E.s sometimes respawn if they are needed to progress but that usually only happens once you exit the room.
To my knowledge only the robots in the 4th Maze of EO4 respawn faster than that (which is a great surprise if you cleared the way forward but have a bot spawn in your back, spot you and resummon the dog you just defeated...)

Still, I am curious how it works out in EO5.

Depth Dancers from EOU say hi. :shepicide:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Huh, playing through this Stratum, I was wondering why that wall of skeletons disappeared. I thought some border got set or something to smooth that section over.

I do like this Stratum, I think it handled appealing to traveling at different times of day quite well without outright hindering you. (Though I believe that one section in the lower left is outright impossible to go through without fighting the FOEs.)

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 24, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

To be fair, there's precedent--flying FOEs and a fuckton of serious dick moves in the original EO1 and EO2, namely.

Remember FOEs that spawned the moment you opened a treasure chest and trapped you in the room? :suicide: (Honestly kind of surprised that "trap" FOEs like that haven't been used in games past the first one.)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, there are moments where the game reminds you that the Labyrinth is a dangerous place from a story perspective as well.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Valerie's only real bits of characterization were in the solo FOE quests. Which got cut out of the remake since you can't adjust the number of party members in story mode. Even then, there wasn't much to her.

werbear posted:

Still a better character than "does not like bugs" or... uh... what is the character trait of the Barkeeper in EO/EOU? What even is her name?
But yeah, judging from what I have read in this LP Melina should be the 3rd best Barkeeper after Missy and Cass purely on the bases that she actually has some sort of character.

Kiritida is the one who didn't like bugs in EO4. I don't think she had anything else outside of that. Kind of a shame that none of the barkeepers have yet to live up to Cass and Missy, though at least Genetta is a fun NPC.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

quote:

Why do these exist

In case you don't have a way to inflict said ailment for a conditional drop and don't want to change up your party or use up (or don't have) a Formaldehyde to get it. They're not much, but they're something for the players that like to go for 100% completion.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

vdate posted:

Sort of like a combination tabard and scarf! You may also note that the skeletons have tusks, which didn't fully register for me the first time I saw them. Also re: skeletons, the difference in the scale of the numbers of this game make me :stonk: every time I look at an FOE statline and see something that wouldn't be out of place on an endgame boss in EO1-4.

In unrelated news, like the EO2U LP before it, this LP is instilling the desire to play this game in me something fierce. Alas, I don't think they've even announced a release date or released a demo in English or anything.

The overall numbers may seem bigger, but in reality, the power of the classes and all got knocked down a peg. In EO2U, it was pretty common to see player damage numbers break the thousands, and eventually the ten-thousands. That's really not a thing in EO5. In all honestly, the damage output is more comparable with the average damage output in EO1 and 2. (Which is to say in the hundreds is considered to be great damage in this game.)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

It's pretty useful. I didn't even realize it had a status attached because it had actual stats. A free blind going off in a few encounters made things unexpectedly easier in those instances. Also Blind isn't a status that Reapers normally have access to, so it wasn't redundant with their skillset at all. (Not that you should be trying to inflict it in the big fights.) I'm not sure when the next scythe upgrade is, but that one lasted me for a good while.

Also hooray for getting more EO LPs on the archive! :toot:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Omobono posted:

I never understood why status effect weapons in EO are that bad. I understand dropping the stats a bit, but in a series where:
-status effect weapons can't proc off skills and player damage is anemic outside of skills
-basically all your offensive stats come from the weapon

giving them 0 (technically 1) attack is a tad overkill.

Mainly because they're meant to give you another method to snag certain conditional drops, nothing more. I'm not sure why the Dark Scythe is like the sole exception in the entire series. (Discounting forged weapons you can make yourself.) No matter what role the Reaper is put in, they're certainly gonna appreciate that weapon.

I think the reason they don't straight up give them 0 attack is that certain damage formulas wouldn't play nicely with them. (though they would work fine in EO3 and 4.) Mainly because in the EO games, forcing the game to divide by 0 straight up halts any ongoing calculations, and causes the game to give up and use whatever numbers it had in there before that happened.

werbear posted:

So we are already on the point that no one made it past?
Usually when NPCs start hyping up the next boss you are in for quite the battle. (rear end in a top hat Bird, Scylla, Ketos, ... uh... Berzerker King? Or rather Boiling Lizard)

These secret areas are strange - since they have no new enemies I assume you can just waltz right in on your first exploration? No level requirements to meet or keys to be found?
Well, I guess the rewards are not too outstanding but that makes these secrets even more strange...
Although the skeleton dormitory looked cool.

The only thing blocking off discovery of them is if you realize that they're there or not. There are no tells on the walls that there's a passage there. Your only hint that they exist is that the map fog lights up a specific area on the map, despite the fact that you seemingly explored the entire floor. I'm pretty sure this is the first time since EOU that there have been unmarked passages.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Raven, Sasha, Lanzon, and Cecil.

Base classes.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

Undead King looks rad. I didn't expect an colorful Egyptian themed boss from how the Stratum is like, but he still looks great. Mechanically interesting, too. I'm really liking how the boss encounters are designed in this game.

And, uh, Ragnar's choice x4.

The boss design in EO5 is miles better than the bosses in EO2U. You aren't straight up punished for not being psychic, and the fights don't spiral as easily out of control as they do in EO2U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Omobono posted:

It's really, really hard to screw an Imperial, all their skillset revolves around their gimmick.
A monkey on a typewriter could get you a serviceable Imperial build, as long as it hit at least one of the drive skills.

It's nearly impossible for him to screw up his build, since he maxed out every single skill possible and then some.

• Locked thread