Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.
Took me a while to finish these. Also, I'll second Level Seven's guild name Mythos, and vote for Fencer, Herbalist, and Hound in the opening party.

Name: Sasha
Class: Dragoon
Portrait: DLC 4B
Skin Color: Default
Hair Color: 1A
Eye Color: 4B
Voice: Lively

"Hey, you! Yeah, I'm talking to you, the adventurers! How about I offer you a once-in-a-lifetime chance? Picture yourself, all geared up and ready to make your mark on the labyrinth. Treasures, excitement and more await! But hark! Our of nowhere, you find yourself surrounded by all manner of vile creatures; golems, dragons, even the dreaded forest deer! Why, the threat alone has been enough to scare off lesser adventures, and taken the lives of too many others. But fear not, my fellow explorers, for I have a solution that will benefit us both. For a price that I'm sure we can negotiate later, you'll be blessed with the services of the legendary (but not really) Dragoon, Sasha! With my stalwart shield to protect your fragile lives, and you doing all the actual hard work, the untold riches waiting in the labyrinth are but mere steps away. So, what are you waiting for? A free pass through the terrors that menace all treasure hunters doesn't come around so often. Hire me, and you have my word that our adventures will be met with resounding success!"

Name: Zahi
Class: Necromancer
Portrait: 1A
Skin Color: 2B
Hair Color: 5A
Eye Color: 1A
Voice: Nihilistic

Necromancy has never been looked on with a positive light. Beyond the physical impracticality and inconvenience of reanimating rotted corpses wherever one goes, there are the obvious moral and ethical dilemmas that have haunted the practice since its conception, pardon the pun. Zahi... has done nothing to help that. In fact, just about anyone who's ever met him would argue that he's the reason people think necromancy is objectively evil. Zahi has no respect for the dead, merely using them as tools to achieve his goals. And yet, despite his callous disregard for life, he seems to have an odd desire to help those around him. Be it out of some twisted sense of morality, an attempt to atone for his actions, or just an excuse to show off his powers, one couldn't say. He only speaks out of necessity, and isn't one to mince words. Despite how no one could point to any specific moment where he's made the lives of those around him decidedly worse, his village decided to send him off to explore the labyrinth in Aeolis under the pretense of "not letting his skills go to waste".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

It's a pet peeve of mine when the party stops so short from leveling up, but being stopped at two experience points away almost feels personally insulting.

Also Greg and Falz are objectively the best names for a dog and a bird and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

Give one fish, get five. Give three chickens, get one. This feels like bartering with Rolf.

Anyway, my votes go to Jana, Lanzon, and Magda.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I'm really liking the FOE designs in this game so far, and it's nice to know that the first stratum still has monster groups that'll screw you over for no good reason. Some things never change in EO.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

This whole sequence is a pun that I didn't bother to translate well. Basically, she spends all this time talking about bread ("pan" in Japanese, by way of Portuguese) and yeast and all that, so you assume she's talking about actual bread, and then when you actually give her the ingredients she makes PANcakes. Or crepes, but basically she thought that since pancakes have PAN in their name, they must be bread. Apparently this misconception isn't unheard of in Japan, since the Japanese wikipedia page on pancakes spends some time discussing it.

That makes me wonder how they'll actually translate it once the game comes out in English. It also makes me wonder if there are other Japanese-only puns we might have lost.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

The encounters I'm seeing and that fight with the Rampaging Owlbear are starting to make me think that I should do my first run of this game on Basic. I know it's nothing new for the end of the first stratum to have some "screw you" encounters, but still.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I'm interesting in this "Japanese," as well. We all speak a common language here, so learning something else would be an interesting change of pace.

I think you meant to say 'interested' here.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I've never seen something go from "give me all your hugs" to "destroy it with the fires of a billion suns" so quickly.

I'll vote for Gram, Kaelin, and Jana.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

Ragnar Homsar posted:

[i]On my first few playthroughs, I had no clue what the gently caress this quest wanted until I gave in and just pinged Clarste and asked him what was going on. When he told me that this involved basically playing Minesweeper and reading text, I gave up and just deliberately stepped on all of the mines. This results in Melina all but asking if you're mentally well enough to keep doing quests.

I think the important question is, did you get a lower reward? If not, then it's totally worth it.

Annointed posted:

Is Etrian Odyssey seriously trying to goad newbies into thinking the game isn't that hard, if at all by making the first boss derp out? I've played through 1-3 and not once did I see a boss waste his time like that.

I somehow got the final boss of the Deep City path to derp out for like 80% of the battle, so it does happen.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

Ragnar Homsar posted:

If I had to vocalize my feelings more it'd be like... "If I deign to speak / the emotion that I feel / shall be forever lost." ...Or something like that, you know.

Isn't 'forever' three syllables? Also I am really looking forward to these giraffes, they're either gonna be hilarious or horrifying. You can never tell with these games.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I have no words to describe this magnificent creature other than saying that this right here is the gently caress and I mean that in the best way possible.

This is one of the few bosses I can honestly say that I'm looking forward to fighting.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I can 100% approve of quad-wielding. Screw armor, you have more swords than you have arms to use them. Though a lot of those attacking skills for both specializations are just... weird. I mean, I like finding a use for situational skills, but then there's Sange which if I didn't know better, sounds like it was coded backwards. It's not useful against single targets because of the TP cost, and it's not useful against multiple targets because of the damage loss. So what good is it for?

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

If I may be honest, I really expected that fight with the baboon to end in an untimely game over. I know I definitely don't have luck facing FOEs on my first trip to their floors.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

Ragnar Homsar posted:

See, last turn, Lanzon used Barrier Wall, that phys damage reduction skill on his coffin. Now, on this turn, Sasha used Gun Mount after having used it last turn. As it turns out, Gun Mount does not only replicate the shield skill the user used last turn--it replicates ANY shield skill from ANY party member.

That's a pretty stupid and funny bug if you ask me, but its usefulness in a standard run is also pretty limited in scope. I only discovered it because Barrier Wall technically counts as a shield skill.

Good thing I don't do 'standard' runs. I am totally doing a 5-Dragoon party and seeing just how much I can abuse that, assuming it doesn't get fixed before it comes out here (and assuming that 5 Dragoons isn't as stupid as it probably is).

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Hoo-Ha now deals 127% damage on the initial hit, and has a 52% follow-up chance.

This made me laugh way harder than it should have. Anyway, I'll vote for Kaelin, Iseria, and Dosen.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

Sparda219 posted:

Our Adamantine Dragoon needs a fitting name. Like Cash Cover.

I was thinking "50% Off"* if we have access to symbols (well "50 Percent Off" should still fit anyway). I'd also call the Gunpowder Dragoon "The Sales Pitch".

Anyway, I'll vote for 1, 1, 1, 2, 1, 1, 1, 2.

*Note: The Dragoon is not to be held fully responsible during situations in which your use of the Adamantine Dragoon skills does not result in a 50% reduction in damage, purchase at your own discretion.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I'm cool with striking 'the' from the name, but isn't the whole thing 15 characters including the spaces? I've counted it like 6 times now to make sure I'm not being stupid.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

Ragnar Homsar posted:

You can either return to town now or continue exploring with a cow following you around.

I would be all for a cow joining the party on adventures. Hell, if that thing's smart enough to survive in the labyrinth, it has to be tougher than your average cow.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I'm getting a real Castlevania-like vibe from some of these monsters, and not just the skeletons. I'm liking this stratum more and more.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

The third stratum of EO2U blocked your progress if you travelled while the F.O.Es were asleep. I guess in that case they aren't giving you an option at all.

It's been a while since I played EO2U, but if I'm not mistaken, those FOEs would block some paths by sleeping, but others would be blocking paths while awake, so the end effect was changing which path you took across the floor, not preventing progress altogether.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

Planting a tree, then having that tree immediately grow to smack your party in the face then battle you. Well, if I somehow wasn't already 100% convinced that everything in the labyrinth hates you...

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

Vampyre is a pun so good, my only regret in life is that I did not come up with it.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

Omobono posted:

I never understood why status effect weapons in EO are that bad. I understand dropping the stats a bit, but in a series where:
-status effect weapons can't proc off skills and player damage is anemic outside of skills
-basically all your offensive stats come from the weapon

giving them 0 (technically 1) attack is a tad overkill.

Sometimes I just throw them on support classes that wouldn't be using their regular attacks anyway, so on turns where they're not buffing or healing or whatever and I don't have another ailment I'm trying to land, I can bet on the RNG. Situational, without a doubt, but I'm stubborn and don't like spending TP outside of bosses/FOEs.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I don't think there's a single thing I don't like about this boss's design.

I'm just gonna say Alexis and Ragnar's choice x3 because I get the feeling that this would be the boss I'd get stuck at for weeks on end and constantly bug Ragnar on Steam with how hard it is with my horribly optimized party.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

You know what usually bothers me? In pretty much every EO game once you reach that stratum that no other explorer has reached, pretty much all the townspeople know more about the stratum than you do. Case in point, Ceric saying that the fourth stratum is completely unexplored, then turning around in the same sentence and asking for an item that I'm assuming is only found in said stratum. It's just one of those things that breaks immersion for me.

Also that Undead King card is definitely something I'd use if I still played Yu-Gi-Oh, but it's also something that I feel like would be banned before I got a chance to.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

alcharagia posted:

Official EO Characters Rating

Council Members:
1. Margherita
2. Remus
3. Outland Count
4. Dubois
5. That guy whose name I always forget
6. Flowdia because gently caress Flowdia

Guildmasters:
1. Marion
2. Edgar
3. The Guy From EO4
4. The Guy From EO3
5. YOU MUST GATHER YOUR PARTY BEFORE VENTURING FORTH

Innkeepers:
1. Genetta
2. Darla
3. Hanna
4. Quona
5. That kid from EO3
6. Angie
7. Fuckin Carlos or whatever his name was

Shopkeepers
1. Edie or Cool Edie
2. Wynne
3. Ceric
4. Shilleka
5. Abigail

Thank you for listening

You forgot barkeepers. Lemme fix that for you:

1. Cass.
2. Missy.
3. Cass.
4. Cass.
5. Cass.
6. Cass.
7 through ∞: Cass.

Disputing this list is tantamount to treason. Unless you want to swap Missy's and Cass's places, in which case I will allow it.

Jokes aside, I legitimately don't remember a thing about the barkeepers in EOU or EO4, except that one of them called your group "kiddos" I think. I don't feel much for Melina, but my opinion might change a bit if I were actually playing through the game. Cass and Missy, on the other hands, have personalities.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

Does anyone else think that Jaryuu's head is a little too small for its body? Anyway, Alexis, Iseria, Combo Boxer Cecil, Heaven's Love Mio. Use the normal music.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

This stratum is not disappointing me in the slightest so far. Oh, Ragnar is gonna hate it once I reach here and start complaining to him over Steam again about how my horribly optimized party can't survive five steps into this place.

I'm gonna throw in my votes for Gram (Falcon), Cecil (Combo Boxer), Jana (Four Heavens), and Magda.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

Genetta is just so hopelessly lovable, even when leading you to your imminent deaths.
The Oliphant fight is what I've been looking forward to this entire LP ever since it showed up and it's finally within reach.

OgretailFood posted:

Here's version 2 now with EOMD alongside the best Super Arranged track ever

Would you believe me if I said I un-ironically liked this song?

Also, new LP starting up soon? I gotta get in there!

Name: Emmett
Class: Troubadour
Portrait: 3
Bio: "Ah, have you not yet heard the tale? I'd be more than willing to oblige. For you see, legend tells of a hero, oft' mistaken as a mere myth, who roamed these lands e'er in search of a mysterious treasure, one long believed to be naught more than a fairy tale. That treasure was the source of all melodies, the very font of power from which Troubadours across the many lands of this world draw their strength from. What, thought ye that a mere ballad had the ability to embolden one's allies? But alas, as the months turned to years, nary a trace of this treasure had appeared. However, that is where our hero comes in. He was a mere Troubadour, much like I am, in search of this mythical treasure. He also had a glorious voice, mastered every instrument known to man, and an ental stash that could make kings weep, but that's neither here nor there. He scoured the globe in a relentless quest to bask in the glory of this treasure, but as the years turned to decades, his dedication bore no results. His hair turned gray, his voice became weaker, and his skills in combat waned. Nevertheless, his will was indomitable, until one faithful day, he chanced upon a fortuitous clue. Perhaps he ought not look upwards for answers, but seek the ground below him instead. Of course! The Yggdrasil labyrinth! So full of mysteries and wonders, it must contain the secrets that he pursues! And so, onward he marched, slowed not by age, exhaustion, or injury, into the depths of the Yggdrasil. Lo and behold, he reached the end of the labyrinth! Bruised, beaten, and tired, he regaled himself in his efforts as he was beholden to a sight no mortal had yet faced, living or otherwise. As he basked in its glory, he was granted the immense power to-"

"I'm going to stop you there, because I'm fairly certain that not only are you trying to boast about yourself, but a majority of that story was made up."

"...There's a non-zero chance that it wasn't."

Name: Valeria
Class: Survivalist
Portrait: 2
Bio: 'Archery isn't a sport - it's a lifestyle'. That's what Valeria always believed. She might as well have been born with a bow and arrow in hand. From the moment she had the strength to draw back the string, there wasn't a force that could stop her from practicing. It was a complete mess at first, arrows flying every which way (if they had even managed to leave the bow). Pretty much everyone in the area would end up bruised by the errant practice arrow. Her determination could not be quelled, however, and neither could her potential for growth. Her accuracy and draw strength improved over time. She was able to land shots at a distance of ten yards, twenty yards, thirty. She'd skip out on classes to sneak back to the archery range. Forty yards, fifty, sixty. Routinely, she would ignore her basic duties just to get a few more hours of practice. Seventy, eighty, ninety, a hundred yards with consistent results. For her, this is neither some hobby, nor is it a means to protect herself. This is life.

But soon enough, that lifestyle came into question. More and more, adventures started showing up with these weapons they called 'firearms'. Valeria could not see the appeal. You just point and pull the trigger? Where's the skill? The dedication? The respect for your target? These weapons were a slight to the very concept of ranged combat, and yet still people were craven enough to proclaim the age of archery to be over. She would not stand for that. She wanted to- no, she had to do something. But she was just one archer. A talented archer perhaps, but there are many far more talented and experienced than her, most of which didn't seem to see the danger she saw that firearms posed to their class. She needed some weight behind her words if she wanted to convince people to keep archery alive. Something grand, something that would ascend her to a legendary status... something no one has done before. It seemed the answer was clear. With nothing more than the clothes on her back and some saved ental, she made her way to Etria, having never fired at a living target once in her life. Whether her motivations were truly for archery and not her own desire to improve are yet to be determined. Only time will tell.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

oliphant is coming up oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy

Gonna throw in my votes for Sasha, Magda, Lanzon, and Jana versus Oliphant, then Kaelin, Gram, Raven, and Dosen for Dragon Zombie.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

The Oliphant. Such a beautiful and majestic creature... mercilessly done away with in a matter of a few turns.

All for a fishing rod.

EO giveth, and Ragnar taketh away. Such is life, but I'm still looking to take that thing on if I ever get the game.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

These floors look more exhausting than EO2U's sixth stratum, and that message on entering the 29th floor isn't helping the matter. Also that hidden FOE is a nice callback but drat, is that a large set of skills or what? At 14 skills if you count its regular attack, It only falls two skills shy of Ur-Child.

Decidedly easier to put down, though.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

As someone who's grown used to opening doors in the labyrinth as he comes across them, that trap in the northeast corner of 29F can go gently caress itself. Atlus just couldn't leave without at least one more "screw you" moment, could they.

Also holy nine hells, Lamia's design is insane. It's like someone asked if they wanted Alraune, Medusa, or Scylla, and the answer was "yes but pink". I'll throw my votes in for Gram Falcon, Magda, and Jana.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

A superboss that enters via jumpscare? At least I saw it here before I inevitably got spooked and dropped my 3DS again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

Now that's what I call a superboss. I'll be damned if I don't enjoy every second of fighting that thing, whenever I reach it.

Great job on another LP completed, and making it look way easier than it probably will be.

• Locked thread