Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

it's not like i'm ever going to buy a new luxury car regardless of whether it has actual luxury accoutrements inside it, so why should i give a poo poo that "luxury car" becomes a meaningless term

poor person spotted. despite your financial shortcomings you can still laugh at idiots spending far too much for a tesla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

"luxury" is itself already meaningless.

i buy pre-moistened wipes from amazon. my butthole knows luxury that 99.whatever percent of humanity has never known.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

what are we talking about here? is there some artisanal car company that makes bespoke luxury cars that yospos approves of? because in one thread people say that Audis, BMWs, Mercedes are trash for middle managers and then in another thread suddenly they're luxury cars.

teslas are great cars and jonny is a loving moron

luxury cars: bentley, rolls-royce, maybach; bmw 7-series and mercedes s-class; a few boutique manufacturers.

interior fit and finish of a tesla is on about the same level as a mid-range bmw 3 series, which is not a "luxury car" unless your baseline is mom's rust-eaten 1996 corolla. so, half of tesla's shutin programmer target market.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The Management posted:

poor person spotted. despite your financial shortcomings you can still laugh at idiots spending far too much for a tesla
   /

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

the trumpatar has really enhanced my posting brand. thx friendly robot

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I just have no strong opinions on Elon musk, one way or another

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

came around when i learned that elon musk has done it again! http://imgur.com/gallery/70QSfp1

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
somebody explain the obvious as to why this is bad, tia

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the problem with solar power is not the looksnothing is wrong, elon has done it again!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Annual Gift Panda posted:

I just have no strong opinions on Elon musk, one way or another

actually i have opinions about a strong musk

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

unlike yospos favorite steve jobs, elon releases products with arguably very big compromises for a very high margins and to do so he forsakes his family and loved ones. I mean one day he might run his company into bankruptcy and have to be bailed out by a incumbent competitor.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

and whats worse is that he's not the one actually doing anything, way smarter people are building and designing the technology and he's just an executive taking credit for it.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

more expensive less efficient but the trade off is it looks like an actual roof

the eevblog guy seemed neutral about it

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

it's overpriced garbage for the "but my property prices!" crowd

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
You get to hire $289/hour Certified Tesla Glass Roofwalkers to fix the loving leak that will pop up every couple of years, instead of hiring the $49/hour Any Roofer On The loving Planet.

certainly they won't surge price tesla roof repairs after a hail/wind storm. There's no way they'd be that cruel.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

just go to rufer and look in the shinglex category for something better

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

You get to hire $289/hour Certified Tesla Glass Roofwalkers to fix the loving leak that will pop up every couple of years, instead of hiring the $49/hour Any Roofer On The loving Planet.

certainly they won't surge price tesla roof repairs after a hail/wind storm. There's no way they'd be that cruel.

saving the planet doesn't need to be free

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you can get the exact same solar power setup with panels, they don't ruin your roof and they're half the price.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

but then people will definitely see them

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
its the model x/s of solar: tech bros with too much money and no sense of anything will buy it because musk says it will look good on their big ol' mediterranean plywood box

~it looks just like slate/clay tile/etc~ uttered ad nauseam

*revs M3/M4*

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
it's cool that Elon musk does rockets, it's hilarious that the rockets he usually does are the stuff the Russian space agency auctions off for scrap and then surprise, they explode because the fuel injection tubing is 40 years old and leaks

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

it's cool that Elon musk does rockets, it's hilarious that the rockets he usually does are the stuff the Russian space agency auctions off for scrap and then surprise, they explode because the fuel injection tubing is 40 years old and leaks

i think you're thinking of Orbital ATK

"The Antares 100-series first stage was powered by two Aerojet AJ26 engines. These began as Kuznetsov NK-33 engines built in the Soviet Union in the late 1960s and early 1970s, 43 of which were purchased by Aerojet in the 1990s. 20 of these were refurbished into AJ26 engines for Antares."

the Falcon rockets are all new.

no, spacex's hilarious failure is when their second stage blew up the first time NASA said "hey maybe y'all oughta look into that helium tank a bit more" and spacex said "nah brah that poo poo's solid, it's just the lovely subcontractor strut that failed. we fired their rear end, 'sall good."

and then they had a second stage blow up on the pad and whoooooops turns out that COPV (composite overwrapped pressure vessel?) fails under certain circumstances that are more likely to occur under the new fueling scheme they recently implemented

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

nah the hilarious part is that they bought the wrong kind of insurance so they had to eat a $300M loss

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

lancemantis posted:

the history of spacex on wikipedia is a real nerd blowjob gem

$8m is "too expensive" for your very own icbm

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

The Management posted:

teslas aren't luxury cars, they're just priced like one. there's nothing luxurious about them.

right around release, a couple Tesla engineers drove a pair of mfr-plate Teslas to a roller derby bout my wife was working and parked next to my A6, to show off after the bout and answer questions and such

they weren't nearly as nice as my Audi, but they did claim that the A6 was one of the cars on which they explicitly tried to model their interiors and feature set

(lol no heads up display)

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Bloody posted:

nah the hilarious part is that they bought the wrong kind of insurance so they had to eat a $300M loss

xtremely my poo poo

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

well it's probably $6-8 bucks a watt installed plus unknown maintenance costs, compared to ~$4 a watt with well known maintenance costs for pv panels

i think the big risk is repairs and replacement. in 5 years the musk man has grown bored and shut down the factory because now he's on to disrupting the riding lawnmower market, so if a shingle goes bad who knows where you can get a new one

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i think you're thinking of Orbital ATK

"The Antares 100-series first stage was powered by two Aerojet AJ26 engines. These began as Kuznetsov NK-33 engines built in the Soviet Union in the late 1960s and early 1970s, 43 of which were purchased by Aerojet in the 1990s. 20 of these were refurbished into AJ26 engines for Antares."

the Falcon rockets are all new.

no, spacex's hilarious failure is when their second stage blew up the first time NASA said "hey maybe y'all oughta look into that helium tank a bit more" and spacex said "nah brah that poo poo's solid, it's just the lovely subcontractor strut that failed. we fired their rear end, 'sall good."

and then they had a second stage blow up on the pad and whoooooops turns out that COPV (composite overwrapped pressure vessel?) fails under certain circumstances that are more likely to occur under the new fueling scheme they recently implemented

thanks for this good post

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

angry_keebler posted:

well it's probably $6-8 bucks a watt installed plus unknown maintenance costs, compared to ~$4 a watt with well known maintenance costs for pv panels

i think the big risk is repairs and replacement. in 5 years the musk man has grown bored and shut down the factory because now he's on to disrupting the riding lawnmower market, so if a shingle goes bad who knows where you can get a new one

I think it's a pretty good idea that expands the solar panel market into a niche it hasn't been in before despite its obvious drawbacks tbh

like I wouldn't buy it because I actually like how normal solar panels look but I definitely know at least a few people who would like to be trendy and renewable without putting ugly panels on their home

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

eschaton posted:

right around release, a couple Tesla engineers drove a pair of mfr-plate Teslas to a roller derby bout my wife was working and parked next to my A6, to show off after the bout and answer questions and such

they weren't nearly as nice as my Audi, but they did claim that the A6 was one of the cars on which they explicitly tried to model their interiors and feature set

(lol no heads up display)

A6 is so much nicer inside than a Model S, there's no comparison. of course for the price you should really compare it to an S8 in which case just lol.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
no, but tesla makes luxury cars guys

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Bloody posted:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Sup guys!

How we feelin' but old Elon today?

We still excited for all that updated infrastructure for his robot cars for the upper middle class and the subsidized bespoke solar roofs for new home construction?

We still just 3-5 years out from autonomous cars being a reality?

Ready for dat disruption?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I can't wait to drive a DRM'ed, software-crippled vehicle in Trump's America.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

no need to worry about disruption boys

we'll all be dead by the end of trump's term anyway

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWxISwEBU0U

this but except the truther parts

Graff
May 10, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

Sup guys!

How we feelin' but old Elon today?

We still excited for all that updated infrastructure for his robot cars for the upper middle class and the subsidized bespoke solar roofs for new home construction?

We still just 3-5 years out from autonomous cars being a reality?

Ready for dat disruption?

hey now hey now don't dreaaaam it's over

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
just change a name and throw in some grumbling about perverts, and you could submit that to a lyndon larouche publication

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

did anyone post about how Dubai is probably going to try and build a hyperloop..?

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/dubai-hyperloop-train-to-abu-dhabi-in-12-minutes-at-500mph-a7409251.html

• Locked thread