Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hank: You like those moccasins? Look in your closet; there's a pair for you. Don’t like them? Then neither do I! [Throwing moccasins out the door] Get the hell out of here! Heh, ever see a guy say good-bye to a shoe?
Homer: [chuckling] Yes, once.

is homer talking about the instance of shoe-goodbye he just witnessed, where Scorpio threw the shoes, or is it a separate, previous instance of a person saying goodbye to a shoe?

Please

A) Care deeply about this 20 year old thing and think people who disagree with you are deplorable scum.
and B) Defend your position with "evidence."

It's the first one, because Homer's not smart. If you think otherwise, you're deplorable scum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

If it were Family Guy it would have flashbacked to Hank throwing the shoes and lives would have been spared

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Now, the real question:

Is it flashbacked or flashed back?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

maybe we should spend more time focusing on the problems affecting our society rather than trivial aspects of pop culture?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

guidoanselmi posted:

maybe we should spend more time focusing on the problems affecting our society rather than trivial aspects of pop culture?

Ken Bone.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

guidoanselmi posted:

Hm. Fair point. New question: how do you feel about the Oxford comma>?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

My belief is Homer himself once said goodbye to a shoe. He videotaped it and then watched himself saying goodbye to the shoe.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Capntastic posted:

Now, the real question:

When something big happens in a TV show, do you call it a "revelation" or a "reveal?"

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.
It's a good question OP and even though I have no evidence to back my opinion I always believed that when he says "Once" he meant another, separate occasion. Not the one with Scorpio.

I mean it's a mystery for the ages, maybe you could find the original writers on Twitter or something and ask them?

Edit: John Swartzwelder the writer is apparently a recluse with no social media presence

http://kernelmag.dailydot.com/features/report/8965/the-reclusive-genius-behind-the-funniest-episodes-of-the-simpsons/

dev286 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 15, 2016

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

dev286 posted:

I mean it's a mystery for the ages, maybe you could find the original writers on Twitter or something and ask them?

It is an improvised line and Dan Casellanetta says it could be interpreted either way. Facts cannot save you, dev286

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.

Bicyclops posted:

It is an improvised line and Dan Casellanetta says it could be interpreted either way. Facts cannot save you, dev286

Well gently caress me

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

I'm reviewing the footage now and he is clearly referring to a previous occasion.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Homer was referring to a previous instance, but that instance was also of Scorpio throwing away his moccasins because Homer can see through time itself.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
gee professor

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mega64 posted:

Homer was referring to a previous instance, but that instance was also of Scorpio throwing away his moccasins because Homer can see through time itself.

I'll allow it.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Capntastic posted:

Now, the real question:

flashed backed

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Now let me ask you this; was the episode a re-run?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Fun fact: after being given the denver broncos, homer went on to guide them to two consecutive superbowls the following two years

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
That was a good episode yet it was the type of episode that essentially ushered in the blight that the Simpsons are currently in

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Fun fact: after being given the denver broncos, homer went on to guide them to two consecutive superbowls the following two years

Unfortunately, he gave them away to Flanders the year before their first win. D'oh!

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Y'all are loving idgits.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Y'all are loving idgits.

Pick a side, encumbered.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
It doesn't even work as a joke except as Homer just seeing a shoe getting thrown.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Homer was remarking on the incident he just witnessed, OP.

The joke doesn't work any other way.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

jBrereton posted:

It doesn't even work as a joke except as Homer just seeing a shoe getting thrown.

Applewhite posted:

At last, this thread gets a few people who are right.

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.

Applewhite posted:

Isn't it funnier if he had seen another, separate, occasion where a man threw a shoe? Like why/how/when? It's so absurd and unexpected and therein lies the humor IMHO.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

When something big happens in a TV show, do you call it a "revelation" or a "reveal?"

reveal is a verb goddamnit

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Prowler posted:

*nods* that's what I keep saying!!!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

dev286 posted:

Isn't it funnier if he had seen another, separate, occasion where a man threw a shoe? Like why/how/when? It's so absurd and unexpected and therein lies the humor IMHO.

The joke is about how Homer is an idiot who would think the incident he just saw would count as an answer to Hank's question.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Awwww, the Denver Broncos! :(

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.

Applewhite posted:

The joke is about how Homer is an idiot who would think the incident he just saw would count as an answer to Hank's question.

Is it though???

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Prowler posted:

Verbs are very very frequently used as nouns in English.

I went for a walk. I went for a run. Would you like a dance? That was a pretty high jump! I do squats. I heard a sneeze.

Maybe you're the weird one for NOT using it as a noun huh? Huh? HUH?!

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Bicyclops posted:

Unfortunately, he gave them away to Flanders the year before their first win. D'oh!
Flanders is to blame for Tim Tebow

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

dev286 posted:

Is it though???

Yes.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Also put me in the "he was talking about the event he just witnessed" camp. The just doesn't make sense otherwise. The alternative joke is a real stretch.

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004
Homer is referencing the time he bought the expensive sneakers for walking that Flanders also had and then the loving dog ate one of the shoes and Homer threw the other one out the window and Bart took the dog to choke chain school. Your're welcome , now where's my elephant ?!?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I think the way people answer this question probably says something profound about their character but I don't know or particularly care what that is. Also Homer is definitely talking about a separate event wherein a man talked to a shoe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I like the part where hank scorpio puts the jacket on back to front and pretends he never even gave it to homer

• Locked thread