Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Animal friends :3:

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine

lol

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

shut up blegum posted:

Why do they have a special drawer full of flour?

It's a convenient way to store lots of flour. A big canister of flour is either going to take up lots of space on your counter, or you'll keep it in a cupboard and it will be heavy to lift. A small canister of flour is no trouble, but if you do a lot of baking your going to need to refill it all the time and that's a hassle. A flour drawer is big enough that you can dump a whole 10lb or 20lb bag at a time into it. No messing around.

I lived in an old house that had one once, it was kind of cool. We didn't use it for flour though, because mom wasn't down with storing food in a 50+ year old wooden drawer that still had visible traces of ancient flour embedded in the wood grain. It was impossible to sterilize. I think we stored potatoes in it instead, since those get washed right before eating.

Some people that bake a lot still use them, but modern ones are designed to seal so bugs can't get in.

Old fashioned flour drawer:

New fangled flour drawer:

stayingalivetv
Oct 17, 2016

Blue Train posted:

I don't watch videos but I like the fluffy cat in the preview

What planet are you from? Novidia?

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I can't imagine needing an entire drawer full of flour

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Rape culture.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Teikanmi posted:

I can't imagine needing an entire drawer full of flour

That's because you're not a full time house wife with 7 kids to feed.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Today I learned about flour drawers and now I really want one for rice and another for... I dunno, candy?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Inzombiac posted:

Today I learned about flour drawers and now I really want one for rice and another for... I dunno, candy?

It's better to use sealable tubs in 2016 because we no longer have ddt to keep roaches and Indian meal moths from getting into everything.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
According to Indian neighbors on the street I used to live in Indian people just dump all their spices into kitchen drawers like this and it makes it really hard to sell your house to anyone who isn't also Indian

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Sheep-Goats posted:

It's better to use sealable tubs in 2016 because we no longer have ddt to keep roaches and Indian meal moths from getting into everything.

Oh man, gently caress those moths.

I bought one of those boxes of couscous with the pre-mixed spice packet and whatnot, and it was full of those fuckers' eggs.

Ended up with those moths EVERYWHERE when they finally hatched. Has to throw out pretty much every grain product we had...flour, rice, pasta, etc... and then bug-bomb the kitchen.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Sheep-Goats posted:

Yep. When I managed a restaurant that's all we used because otherwise it was pest central. Ants, moths, roaches, rats, mice, etc. We regularly had pest control come, but bugs would still get in because it's Hawaii and there's too many of them. We used rubber trash bin for the rice and those huge 4-side-sealer tubs for the stuff that shouldn't be exposed to humid air too often. Those would be stacked on top of the rice bins to keep the lids tighter. Everything else went into the walk-in fridge.

To the goons that want a big thing to put flour or grains in: Buy a garbage bin and decorate the outside or something.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Haier posted:

Yep. When I managed a restaurant that's all we used because otherwise it was pest central. Ants, moths, roaches, rats, mice, etc. We regularly had pest control come, but bugs would still get in because it's Hawaii and there's too many of them. We used rubber trash bin for the rice and those huge 4-side-sealer tubs for the stuff that shouldn't be exposed to humid air too often. Those would be stacked on top of the rice bins to keep the lids tighter. Everything else went into the walk-in fridge.

To the goons that want a big thing to put flour or grains in: Buy a garbage bin and decorate the outside or something.

Do you have a link to the 4 sided sealers you actually used? Some of them are so poo poo.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Sheep-Goats posted:

Do you have a link to the 4 sided sealers you actually used? Some of them are so poo poo.
I don't, it was a long time ago. I do know they were bought locally at the restaurant supply store, so that would be a start.

I never save gifs, but this rat owned so hard I immediately downloaded this so I can enjoy it many times in the future. Wanna meet that rat.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Sheep-Goats posted:

Your av always makes me think there is a tiny bug on my phone

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Quote-Unquote posted:

Your av always makes me think there is a tiny bug on my phone

An animal friend

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
My mom's cousin had a pet raccoon that we visited a couple of times. He was much too fat to be mischievous. Instead he just sat around and ate graham crackers all day.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo, that porker is huge!!!

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaLB63cEYOk

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Oh my!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
One of those is not an animal friend

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I just went from "Awww" to "AhHHHHHH" in 0.3 seconds.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sheep-Goats posted:

I currently use a food-grade 5 gallon bucket for rice. It's a huge pain to open and close but it keeps things fresh and even the ants have no hope of getting in.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I use a clip to close the plastic bag the rice comes in and it stops the bugs.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FedEx Mercury posted:

I use a clip to close the plastic bag the rice comes in and it stops the bugs.

My apartment has a friendly man with a tank of poison come by and spray everywhere every couple months and that seems to work well enough that i can leave out bags of flour just to mock the silverfish

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Why isn't this an animal does a thing thread yet :(

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Good rats.

Awww, cuties. :3:

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 19, 2016

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Animal friends :3:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

Rats are the poo poo

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Wendigee posted:

Serious answer they are way too curious.... they will destroy your house when bored or left alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DfGf4M3QZo&t=62s

[edit] cut it to the cute part

Sweet little trash panda. Please live in my wall.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

jeff smisek posted:

Rats are the poo poo

I was thinking I'd like one as a pet but then I found out they live about two years and I don't think my heart could take that. :(

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
http://i.imgur.com/HqFNmVu.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/x9xefge.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
what kind of person gets rats and ferrets and poo poo as pets, like why. There are way better and cooler animals than those things

• Locked thread