Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EmmyOk posted:

I was a skeptic too but the following two songs convinced me to give it a go because they were catchy as hell and also extremely funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4hh1YhDfbA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIJKuxzWAGs

I think if someone had showed me these two songs, I would not have watched the show (I didn't even like I Give Good Parent in context). The Sexy Getting Ready Song would probably be the one I'd choose to give an idea of what the show's like (but actually I think showing any of the songs out of context is probably not going to convince many people to watch it). So if anyone is reading this far and hasn't watched any of the videos, my advice is don't. Just watch the first episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Knockknees posted:

So it wasn't a very exciting episode but I guess that's what you have to do when you are resetting the stage for a new central conflict of the season and setting everyone up for new arcs and stuff.
Yeah, pretty low-key and underwhelming. Certainly a stark difference to the first episode of season one, which pretty much instantly sold me on the show.

Hawkgirl posted:

her gaslighting Josh really skeeved me out.
Also manipulating Paula.

AnimeJune posted:

I was wondering why Gettin' Bi wasn't listed as one of Darryl's songs! That song is unapologetically my favourite from all of last season.
Same.

hope and vaseline posted:

Paula's a character I've always been kind of ambivalent about, given how she seems to be this terrible enabler for the main reason of the thrill she gets over getting to live vicariously through Rebecca.
She started out pretty likeable, but as the first season goes on you see more and more of how terrible she is.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Knockknees posted:

On another note, if white josh has the keys to Darryls apartment, has he met his daughter yet? I wonder how that is going for all of them?
It's quite frustrating how they keep bringing up the two of them as a couple but not having them in any of the same scenes.

Knockknees posted:

Also did they just start calling White Josh WiJo? It sounds so weird.
Yep. I'm not sure how I feel about it. It was funny when I noticed that everyone had just suddenly started calling him that, but White Josh is a better name.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

lotus circle posted:

Her husband may not be the smartest guy, but he's definitely supportive and it's good to see at least one healthy relationship on the show.*

*Darryl and WiJo aside.

Darryl and WiJo hardly count when we never actually see them on-screen together.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

The recurring gag of Valencia turning to Heather to find out if she's being a girl-friend right was my favorite thing of that episode.
They were both just generally great in this episode.

WhiteHowler posted:

I thought the latest episode was the best one in a while.

I don't think most of the songs are nearly as funny or as memorable as the ones from the first season though.
I agree about the episode generally, but I thought the songs were a step up this week too.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Its impossible to know but I genuinely think I would have been getting sick of this show by now if it hadn't changed things up like it had. Rebecca getting girlfriends and shifting her main drama to Paula has given the show a nice shakeup that kept it from getting to that point where I just sort of lose interest if it had still been a love triangle with Josh and Greg.
Yeah, I was wondering at the end of season one how they were going to keep the show going without just repeating everything (especially after the later episodes of season one where each one felt like it should be the end) but they've done pretty well.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Rebecca losing Tommy being totally fine was weird to me as well. Paula forgives her because "I lost him at a mall!" but the issue isn't just that Rebecca lost Tommy it's that she was so wet for Josh she took him to a night club. Even if she hadn't lost him that's still super bad.

Paula's attitude to her kids has always been very blasé and laissez-faire. I wouldn't expect her to react any other way.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

JT Smiley posted:

I think one of this show's biggest strengths is just how varied the music numbers are, there's literally something for everyone. I say that manly because I don't like half the songs you guys keep gushing about.
I was amazed that people thought I Give Good Parent and Remember That We Suffered were among the best songs of their respective seasons, because I hated them. As songs, and in the context of their episodes.

Red Oktober posted:

I have a massive sweet spot for Friendtopia
Easily the best song of the season, IMO. It's not even close.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

I understand most of the results even if I disagree but Research Me Obsessively beating You Go First is bananas

They're both good, but I did vote for You Go First. Similarly, I didn't think either It Was A poo poo Show or We Tapped That rear end were that great, but I voted for poo poo Show (which is currently losing).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

EVGA Longoria posted:

Though I'm also the guy who liked I Could If I Wanted To more than anything else in season 1.
That's entirely reasonable though?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Refresh yourself on our contestants and then vote here!
Everything I voted for is currently losing, except for Friendtopia. :(

EVGA Longoria posted:

This contest is rigged. Rigged! Friendtopia vs you're my best friend? SHENANIGANS
That is certainly an unfortunate matchup.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

You apparently keep voting for Devil Winds, so no sympathy from me.

I voted Devil Winds because Remember That We Suffered is terrible. :colbert:
Friendtopia absolutely should have won the whole thing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

That's what made Valencia the "villain" in S1 because she was actively hostile to Rebecca and inconsiderate to Josh.
Valencia was never a villain. She was hostile to Rebecca for good reason, and Josh is a fuckwit.

STAC Goat posted:

In comparison Josh was inconsiderate to her but his behavior played more as cowardice and ignorance than genuine malice.
I'd say it wasn't any of those things, it was just laziness and lack of responsibility. He was letting Valencia push him around because that let him blame her for everything and meant he never had to take any kind of initiative.

STAC Goat posted:

That's the main difference between this and shows like Always Sunny or Seinfeld. Those shows have people who actively hurt others and are either indifferent to it or take joy in it. THOSE are bad people.
There's more than one way to be bad person.

STAC Goat posted:

The people in Crazy Ex Girlfriend aren't bad, they're just broken. And at the very least they generally feel guilt when they hurt someone. Rebecca pushes that when she's actively hurting or manipulating people, though.
Paula is far, far worse.

STAC Goat posted:

And they end it with her intent on ruining him, which is slightly troubling.
Worse than all the stuff she and Paula did in season one?

• Locked thread