Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Guys I'm worried about Greg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

EmmyOk posted:

Josh's song about feelings pretty much embodies my main problem with him, he doesn't have the heart of a child he has the mind of a child. Someone who has the heart of a child believes in true love or that there's good in all people, some one with the mind of a child tries to beat up bad emotions with frankly pathetic karate. There are points where it felt like Rebecca was flirting with a literal five year old and it was really weird. Josh's character also wildly veers between normal guy, nice but naive guy, and so stupid he might actually be developmentally disabled. Being kind of nice doesn't really making him compatible with Rebecca when they don't seem to have anything else in common on any level. Josh was also to blame just as much as Valencia for their relationship and he treats her awfully when Rebecca shows up. He also walks like he pooped his pants and if you think Rebecca looks like a Bex I don't know what to tell you.

I think this is a very fair take on Josh, but I don't think that makes him any more hatable than the rest of them. It makes him just as issue ridden as all of the other characters.

I agree they over do it on the dumbness a little which is weird, but I think it is just to highlight that even though he is nice and even though Rebecca thinks she loves him, that's not enough for them to be compatible in the long run. The speech the aloha HR manager gives about why Josh wouldn't be happy there (based on Rebecca's essay) is a speech about why they won't be happy together as a couple.

But yeah he's got plenty of issues and I don't think we are supposed to think he's a great guy. Emotionally immature and stringing Valencia along for so long while failing to communicate means he has plenty of relationship work to do -- just like Greg and Rebecca have their own different set of relationship poo poo. We'll see how much more figuring of that poo poo any of them might manage to do this season. But I have a feeling it's going to get worse before it gets better. I mean, they have four seasons of this planned so I don't think there's going to be a emotionally balanced light at the end of the tunnel for any of them for a long time.

And guys, I'm worried about Greg.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

EmmyOk posted:

I think Greg and Rebecca might not be sympatico anymore because I mean she loving stamped on his heart three times now in increasingly horrific ways. Granted the last one was his fault but it's still a pretty big issue. Heather and Greg made a lot of sense but they can't get back together now or it'll feel like he's settling for her imo.

As unhappy as he was in that town before, I don't know how he'll deal with being around any of them now. He will have to start hanging out with only Beans now. If this was a grittier show I'd think it would be on track to have him nosedive deeper into alcoholism and self destructive or suicidal thoughts. Maybe they will and find a way to write fun songs about it?

It's too bad he can't get out of this toxic Bermuda Love Triangle town without leaving his dad :(

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

JT Smiley posted:

That song really won me over at the end.

It was Darryl wasn't it

Poor Greg, his gesture text flung aside like an old Emory sweatshirt.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Greg looks very pale.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Greg :smith:

(This is the first time I've watched live tv in a year. The commercials are so often ... is it always like this?)

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
So it wasn't a very exciting episode but I guess that's what you have to do when you are resetting the stage for a new central conflict of the season and setting everyone up for new arcs and stuff.

Can we just magically hide everything from Greg forever please? Like I know being honest with ourselves and others in an essential moral of the show but ugh Greg should just go to Emory and never hear of any of this and maybe come back in 2 years to find a Rebecca who has gone through a lot of therapy. When is that season going to be?

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Was this episode super funny? It seemed very functional from a set up perspective, but there weren't a lot of lol moments for me. Long over-analysis post incoming!

I laughed the most at Greg the dream falcon: "tell Emory she's not getting her shirt back!"

Otherwise I found most of the dialogue to be too expository to be funny. Contrasting it with the first few episodes of season 1, Rebecca is still making bad decisions, but she doesn't have as much showing that she is sympathetic, interesting, or funny in her own right. She spends most of her time in the episode trying to manipulate Josh, push Paula into behaving in a way she doesn't want to, and looking for Greg not out of concern for him but out of a selfish need for validation of her bad Josh choices. Not someone I'd be rooting for if this was the first episode I'd seen. Her only pathos came from the very relatable love kernels song.

What I did like about the episode was the arcs and themes it seems to be setting up for the future. Paula and Greg have gained insight that they were feeding their respective addictions, and that they'll be happier if they try to fill that void with self improvement instead. Josh gets handed an insight from his boss that he needs to grow up. As we already knew, a big flaw is his emotional immaturity which had probably been kept in stasis in part by being stuck in the same relationship rut with Valencia since high school. By moving in with his parents he gets a chance to metaphorically reset and start that journey over from the beginning. Rebecca... well she clearly still needs help getting back on the self improvement path. If the theme song is a clue, I think we'll see her struggling with a delusion about what love is and looking for the wrong things out of love for at least half the season before she starts seeing any light.

I both love and hate that backsliding is a thing that happens on this show. I look forward to seeing them improve but that just makes their later bad decisions so hard to watch! I'm hoping to see more father brah and dr akopian this season, and I hope they show that counseling can be helpful in dealing with these issues. I like that Paula now has her husband as a sounding board.

Finally, it will be interesting to see how they talk about alcoholism on this comedy show. Does anyone else remember the alcoholism story line from Boy Meets World? I'm getting reminded of that for some reason.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
You can stream it from CWs app, but there are plenty of commercials still

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
It really does feel more like a Netflix or a Hulu show to me. Sort of in the vein of Kimmy Schmidt or Mindy Project.

And then the explicit versions of the songs could be in the show.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

Senerio posted:

The best joke is from the clean version though. (Not disagreeing with you, I just love "To be clear, you parents want to have sex with me" way more than the equivalent)

It's true the delivery is hilarious

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Just finished watching too. This episode got back to the emotional rollercoaster that I love riding with this show. Lots of thoughts:

White Josh rules. So hard. I love the weird undercurrent of antagonism between him and Rebecca that goes all the way back to the garbage disposal incident.

Also loved Heathers bit.

So so many good lines in this show but I lost it at "you get the butt"

(New paragraph idea: the dinosaur donut is an analogy for Rebecca - Josh and Greg just need to figure out how to break her in half and share her?)

The songs were better this episode.

Also loved the depiction of female friendship between Paula and Rebecca. Rebecca has some work to do on her end but ultimately they still really love each other and want what's best for each other.

More sympathy for Rebecca now then I had last episode. Then it with her cuddling with the Emory sweatshirt really got me.

I like that Rebecca is seeing models of positive change (and the hard work it takes) from Paula and Greg and hope that she'll take some of those opportunities to both learn how to support others and also to work on her own poo poo with the help of her friends. Except we won't get there in one episode.

Last season the drama bomb that got me hooked was Rebecca's terrible date with Greg in ep 3. Will there be an ep 3 drama bomb in the next episode - or will it just be Rebecca fretting about her perceived love triangle? Edit: this happened is episode 4 so I don't know what I'm talking about.

Also, what about Valencia? Aren't we going to see her again? When/how?

Knockknees fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 29, 2016

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

FoxTerrier posted:

What was the garbage disposal incident? I can't recall

Episode 3 Rebecca stuffs an entire chicken down the garbage disposal and calls Josh telling him it's an emergency to try and get some one on one time with him. Josh brings White Josh, annoying Rebecca. White Josh isn't wearing a shirt and he's the one to actually fix the disposal, noting that it only could have broken the way it did if someone purposefully stuffed a chicken down it. Rebecca takes out her annoyance on him by making comments about his shirtlessness and implying that he is not attractive. It is funny and there is a running thread of her continuing in making those types of comments when he's around.

At least that's how I remember it.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Rewatched the episode with a friend last night.

I am thinking more about Gregs admission that he was on his way to tell Rebecca he loved her. First of all, he kind of did the grand gesture Rebecca wanted except because real life is real life, and driving drunk first thing in the morning gets you arrested. Second, thinking back to dream ghosts, to be told she is loved is what she really really wants from the world. Putting aside the fact that she barely ever heard or felt that from friends or family growing up - I don't think she has EVER heard that from a romantic partner.

The pain she is feeling at the end is so hard to watch because of that.

On the other hand Greg deserves better.

The drinking song and ping pong song hold up really well on rewatch.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

FoxTerrier posted:

Personally I just can't help laughing about Rebecca's complete failure to consider the fact that Josh refused to commit to Valencia for years; and how that just might mean he could have a teensy problem committing to her too. !

[...]

Greg and Rebecca would be an awesome couple...in like five years. After they've both dealt with a ton of their poo poo. That's the end-game I'm rooting for.

That is a great point about Valencia! I'm afraid I fell into the narrative trap of thinking of Valencia as an antagonist, so it didn't evenoccur to me that Rebecca could/should be learning from Valencias experiences. But yeah, totally.

I agree that Greg and Rebecca would be perfect in five years, especially if they can get away from each other and escape the drama cycle for a while. Unfortunately I don't think that's how it's going to play out on the show because they need Rebecca to stay "crazy" to justify the title of the show and drama has to occur so that there's a plot.

I also wonder if they want to completely buck the endgame of ending up with a romantic partner at all, since "happily ever" after seems like just the kind of tripe they'd want to turn in its head. But I don't want to see that - I like Greg so I want the protagonist to end up with Greg gosh darn it!

On another note, if white josh has the keys to Darryls apartment, has he met his daughter yet? I wonder how that is going for all of them?

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
The creators have stated they have an ideal number of seasons in mind for their planned arcs: 4 seasons would be perfect in their plan. Maybe 5 if they are pushed to extend.

But as with any show they have to be ready for the plug to be pulled at any time.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Wow. I did think they'd have the balls to fly Greg away. But I think he's really leaving.

But he's my favorite part of the show so I hope he's not gone forever. Rebecca needs to stop sucking she's not fun to watch when she's this messed up.

Also did they just start calling White Josh WiJo? It sounds so weird.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
My friend who loves this show is conservative and anti abortion. while on the one hand i'd love to see a mainstream show show that abortion for any reason is ok, I also don't want there to be any wedge between myself and the person I enjoy the show with the most :(

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Greg was also my favorite thing. Please stay good, show.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Shame ping pong girl and gregs drinking song went up against each other because they are both so strong and great.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Am I the only one who didn't like "poo poo Show"? I just straight up don't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

EmmyOk posted:

I don't know if I've listened to the spliiiIIIIced together version actually.

You're a pretty good poster but if Love Kernels or poo poo Show don't win I'm coming for you.

I can take it!

(I did vote for Love Kernels in Round 1 but my vote is for Ping Pong Girl over it in Round 3. That poo poo was ridiculously hilarious.)

I want to know who the two people who voted for Ticeratops Ballet are though.... that's just....interesting.

• Locked thread