Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
poo poo, i forgot to park the hard drive last time i turned off my computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Tankakern posted:

btrfs is fine as long as you keep away from raid56

i really hope they fix that sometime, i actually got a system with btrfs raid6 running.. it works, but i guess that's only because the disks haven't gone bad yet :ohdear:

it's quicker to reinstall and restore from backup than to rebuild any decently sized array
mirror if you want to reduce unexpected downtime, or jbod and gently caress it

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Sagebrush posted:

i just ran it and recovered 2 gigs, including 800 megs of google chrome cache and 900 megs of system memory dumps and temp files

2 gigs is peanuts and also those are completely inert files that don't affect performance in any way

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

hackbunny posted:

2 gigs is peanuts and also those are completely inert files that don't affect performance in any way

b.b.but MY MEGABYTES!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hackbunny posted:

:thurman:

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

suffix posted:

1. i have a disk with 2% used space
2. i want to shrink the partition a bit to add a smaller disk as a mirror
3. i can't because zfs is poop from a butt
4. loving garbage even fat32 would have been better

gently caress off idiot. ZFS for lyfe! :xbone:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Squeezy Farm posted:

gently caress off idiot. ZFS for lyfe! :xbone:

You're pretty devoted to your gimmick aren't you?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
What is so special about the zfs implementation that Linux hasn't been able to copy it into the kernel?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Janitor Prime posted:

What is so special about the zfs implementation that Linux hasn't been able to copy it into the kernel?

for one thing, it's good

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Janitor Prime posted:

licensing bullshit

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Janitor Prime posted:

millions of paid man hours and real qa

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
should have used ntfs, op.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Shaggar posted:

should have used ntfs, op.

http://blog.zorinaq.com/i-contribute-to-the-windows-kernel-we-are-slower-than-other-oper/

"Oh god, the NTFS code is a purple opium-fueled Victorian horror novel that uses global recursive locks and SEH for flow control. Let's write ReFs instead. (And hey, let's start by copying and pasting the NTFS source code and removing half the features! Then let's add checksums, because checksums are cool, right, and now with checksums we're just as good as ZFS? Right? And who needs quotas anyway?)"

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

I'd like to build my own Isilon, that seems like the neatest storage thing
posted by somebody that has never had to deal with an isilon in production

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

oh also pro answer is now storage spaces direct. linux options just look silly at this point.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Oh huh windows server 2016 got released this week, I guess we can all point and laugh at https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/get-started/windows-server-2016-ga-release-notes while it rapidly grows to 20 pages now

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Visual GNUdio posted:

posted by somebody that has never had to deal with an isilon in production
we got an isilon setup at the university I work at and it's a big piece of poo poo

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

http://blog.zorinaq.com/i-contribute-to-the-windows-kernel-we-are-slower-than-other-oper/

"Oh god, the NTFS code is a purple opium-fueled Victorian horror novel that uses global recursive locks and SEH for flow control. Let's write ReFs instead. (And hey, let's start by copying and pasting the NTFS source code and removing half the features! Then let's add checksums, because checksums are cool, right, and now with checksums we're just as good as ZFS? Right? And who needs quotas anyway?)"

he absolutely got discovered at work for writing that and wrote the response with a gun to his head

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

abraham linkedin posted:

he absolutely got discovered at work for writing that and wrote the response with a gun to his head

hahaha

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

abraham linkedin posted:

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

my office gives out laptops with two partitions on a 128 ssd.... the d partition arrives completely empty, 29GB, so thats where my data goes right? wrong bitch. only the windows user profile (on c) gets synced with a virtual server drive. great thinking. i dont need the space but :pwn:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

You might as well have a Chromebook for that.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

otoh Protogon is a cool code name

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Satellit3 posted:

my office gives out laptops with two partitions on a 128 ssd.... the d partition arrives completely empty, 29GB, so thats where my data goes right? wrong bitch. only the windows user profile (on c) gets synced with a virtual server drive. great thinking. i dont need the space but :pwn:

delete d:, expand c:

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

although i have admin accounts on certain mission critical servers, i am not allowed even local admin on my laptop :cheerdoge:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

unless they have locked it down to all hell I say boot up a partition manager and violate some policies

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

holy poo poo the comments, how hosed of a place is MS when you have people being openly mocked for working 40 hours a week.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i usually install ccleaner so that i have a one-click way to clear cache across all browsers while preserving select cookies. it's good for that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hackbunny posted:

you're the guy who throws away coins in the trash, aren't you

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lmao, every time I forget about why I never apply for jobs at Microsoft something like this comes along and I remember what a clusterfuck that company is.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
microsoft is the best company i ever worked for

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

uh ntfs for life, op

Shaggar alt spotted

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lol if you know enough about this stuff to know or care about why you'd pick different filesystems or what raid56 is

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

I can 100% believe this because microsoft wants for filesystems to be hard to write. windows has no equivalent of vnode and all windows filesystem drivers are half boilerplate
SEH for flow control I find it a little hard to believe unless he means __leave

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

lol vnodes? that's what you think MS is missing? it's a poo poo-tier hack even on linux systems, not something i'd spread around to places that don't need them.

also, storage spaces direct. linux get rekt, there isn't anything even remotely close in the open sores world.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

You can buy a lot of Ceph storage hardware for the $6000 microsoft wants for a single Datacenter Edition server license

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol nobody pays retail for that poo poo

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

no, they pirate it to run on their home print server

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Tatsujin posted:

holy poo poo the comments, how hosed of a place is MS when you have people being openly mocked for working 40 hours a week.

quote:

Ken wrote: Guys: Keep in mind that there's a billion Chinese out there training to take our jobs at half the pay. You may talk about family balance and whatnot, but you better have your retirement plans lined up. Be valuable or be gone.
12 May 2013 04:40 UTC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Visual GNUdio posted:

lol vnodes? that's what you think MS is missing? it's a poo poo-tier hack even on linux systems, not something i'd spread around to places that don't need them.

yes, every single filesystem reimplementing a vcb, fcb, ccb, cache manager boilerplate and all related and easily mistaken error handling and argument validation is preferable to a common implementation, said a goddamn loving pissbaby retard

the documentation consisting of the poorly commented code of fastfat.sys, cdfs.sys and mrxsmb.sys, that double as boilerplate that you are expected to fork and customize, is almost as good as this box of turds I can't stop stuffing my face with

I agree, no benefit whatsoever can be derived from a driver framework *wdf puts out a cigarette in my eye*

• Locked thread