Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
You'd think they'd have Curtis LeMay doing something with the dragons but this is the best inverted Fate/Stay Night variant I've yet seen and Enjoy It Greatly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Sharkopath posted:

It's just one throwaway line of one character questioning if he really is who he says he is, on account of the air rappelling troops bit, which implies it was his idea

The anime definitely won't cover it but it's an interesting idea that the comic might touch again in the future.

So it's Mr. T?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I thought everyone was Hitler, personally.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
im just glad there's tension! dramatic conflict! ingenuity! in this medieval tech vs supply-isolated 20th century tech story

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

im just glad there's tension! dramatic conflict! ingenuity! in this medieval tech vs supply-isolated 20th century tech story

I'm glad we're going to see some nam style fights with the elves.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Somehow I got it into my head that this was "Like Sliders - but with samurai" and thought that premise was worthy of at least watching the first episode.

> hang on, the way this characters grin maniacally at each other looks kinda familiar

(comedic interlude happens)

> :tviv:

so I immediately watched the second episode and queued the next two for later today

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I just got done with an old school anime kick and watched Black Lagoon and Hellsing Ultimate for the first time. Someone in another thread mentioned this to me and it's literally perfect in every way. I love it.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It was me.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

BexGu posted:

And that his followers are (mostly) good people that were completely screwed over by people they where trying to save.

Add that to the fact that the Drifters seem to get "recruited" right before they should have died, while the Ends seem to get grabbed AFTER they've already been tortured to death.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
drifters seem to have still had hope up to the instant they would have died while ends are full of despair and hate everything. i dunno where the super powers ends get come into it, though.

but yeah, it is probably a lot easier to keep hope for the future when you are trying to survive than during a public execution.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There's one dude who is an End that kinda confuses me since he didn't really die terribly and was someone 100 percent willing to die for the common folk.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I just got done with an old school anime kick and watched Black Lagoon and Hellsing Ultimate for the first time. Someone in another thread mentioned this to me and it's literally perfect in every way. I love it.

It's almost perfect. Watch the first hellsing anime, it has the perfect hellsing soundtrack.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

drifters seem to have still had hope up to the instant they would have died while ends are full of despair and hate everything. i dunno where the super powers ends get come into it, though.

but yeah, it is probably a lot easier to keep hope for the future when you are trying to survive than during a public execution.

Because Hirano wants a war of tech vs magic powers.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Uhhhh what about the Octobrists

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Matoi Ryuko posted:

It's almost perfect. Watch the first hellsing anime, it has the perfect hellsing soundtrack.

The World Without Logos is such a cool song.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Uhhhh what about the Octobrists

they are there so the drifters don't all wander around on their own, unable to communicate. the story needed something to fill that role, and magicians do it well enough.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Ends get weird superpowers but they have to willingly submit to the goth girl whereas drifters get fuckall but can do whatever they want.

At least that's how I understand it.

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013
I still find hilarious that Toyohisa is voiced by the guy who's been doing nice and/or shy dad characters recently (Amaama to Inazuma and Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari). :allears:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Zetsubou-san posted:

Cool, The World Without Logos is one of my favorites but I think my all-time favorite song from the hellsing ost was The Japanese Alphabet Road With Chinese Bellflower's Sweet Smell.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

the best song on that ost is actually When going to war, fight with arrows, spears and swords

https://youtu.be/K_rovwoKlIY

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Zetsubou-san posted:

This. The OVA has a lot of cool rear end music too though.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

i really hope drifters gets an ost equal to hellsing's because besides the op which is sweet as hell btw nothing has really stuck out

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

HerraS posted:

Hirano did a comment section once where someone straight up asked him if the Black King is who it is and he said "yup, but I can't actually call him by his name because a bunch of people would get really pissed :)"

e: also plutonis please remove the spoilers from the op so the orte empire reveal isn't ruined

So I'm in the middle of episode 4 and see this and have at this point made the assumption that the Black King is Jesus. Which really would piss off some folks if true.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Amstrad posted:

So I'm in the middle of episode 4 and see this and have at this point made the assumption that the Black King is Jesus. Which really would piss off some folks if true.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that that's what they're aiming for. They should have gone for Muhammad.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
In a clever twist it's going to turn out to be San Francesco d'Assisi instead.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
"Merchandising! Where the REAL money from the crazy-eyed-historical-personages-thrown-into-a-fantasy-world anime is made!" http://amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=FIGURE-024902

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!
Is there any pattern to the episode names? Feel like I read somewhere that they're all musical references, but I don't recognise anything beyond Men of Destiny being a Gundam OP. Maybe Footsteps being a frequently used insert song in City Hunter, if they're going in that direction.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Professor Irony posted:

Is there any pattern to the episode names? Feel like I read somewhere that they're all musical references, but I don't recognise anything beyond Men of Destiny being a Gundam OP. Maybe Footsteps being a frequently used insert song in City Hunter, if they're going in that direction.

They're all classic anime OPs. This one was particularly famous - Ai wo Torimodose, from Fist of the North Star.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!
Hah, oh god - I didn't recognise it when I saw it written in English.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Professor Irony posted:

The Japanese Wiki entry has all the chapter titles, which is where the episode titles are taken from https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%89%E3%83%AA%E3%83%95%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BA_(%E6%BC%AB%E7%94%BB)#.E5.8D.98.E8.A1.8C.E6.9C.AC

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Elf 'nam

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Cool, The World Without Logos is one of my favorites but I think my all-time favorite song from the hellsing ost was The Japanese Alphabet Road With Chinese Bellflower's Sweet Smell.

The OST was full of great songs with really weird titles.

Also, re: episode title discussion, all of the Hellsing chapters were named after video games.

Also also, yes @ "Hurry Go Round". Based Hirano is a hide fan.

Kaiser Mazoku fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 6, 2016

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

there is nothing you could have possibly said to me that would have made me want to watch this anime more than "the villian is jesus"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Amstrad posted:

i'm not exactly super familiar with christian art for somewhat obvious reasons. can someone tell me how that image is supposed to be representative of jesus

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ninjewtsu posted:

i'm not exactly super familiar with christian art for somewhat obvious reasons. can someone tell me how that image is supposed to be representative of jesus

I forget the fancy term, but when Jesus was nailed to the cross, well, nails through the hands. They left scars, when he showed to at least one of the apostles when he came back after dying.

e: Aha, Stigmata.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

oh that's a scar? i thought it was just a shadow or something. ok thanks, that makes a lot more sense

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Plus the whole healing the demihumans via laying of hands thing, though that's not shown in that image.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah it fits I just wasn't sure how that image was indicative of jesus

I know now though! Makes me pretty hype

So the Manga has been going for like 5 years right? And the pvs showed material up to recent Manga updates? So, is the point we're at ~halfway through the manga? Did they cut a lot of material, or is the Manga actually just that slow? It doesn't feel like a ton has happened, for 2.5 years of manga progress

Maybe I'm just unfamiliar with manga pacing since I almost never read them

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

Yeah it fits I just wasn't sure how that image was indicative of jesus

I know now though! Makes me pretty hype

So the Manga has been going for like 5 years right? And the pvs showed material up to recent Manga updates? So, is the point we're at ~halfway through the manga? Did they cut a lot of material, or is the Manga actually just that slow? It doesn't feel like a ton has happened, for 2.5 years of manga progress

Maybe I'm just unfamiliar with manga pacing since I almost never read them

Author is notorious for inconsistent updates, especially compared to his peers. Honestly the pacing to me seems very similar to Hellsing's pacing. Where the whole of things is very brief but the time it takes to get there is a while. Yes the pacing is a bit slow, like this entire arc of them holding an elf revolt will go on for a good while until the next big arc comes along. I think at this point of the manga at the very latest issue, it is at the beginning of the third arc. Should this season stay in the 11-13 ep length, I'm positive that they'll either kick up the pace to catch up to the manga or will probably finish before they even get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ninjewtsu posted:

there is nothing you could have possibly said to me that would have made me want to watch this anime more than "the villian is jesus"

I feel like now that they've started dropping the completely unsubtle hints I can say this:

It's a story by the dude that did Hellsing that includes a lot of real world historical figures, of course the main villain is Jesus.

• Locked thread