Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

blue squares posted:

I hope for this thread to lead to some good discussion between fans of NFCE teams.

Is Washington's win streak going to continue? And what's been the driving factor? Seems like their defense is winning games, but they haven't beaten anyone impressive outside of the division. The Steelers, who have been stomped by the Eagles and the Dolphins, handled them easily.

Their wins have come against Cleveland, Baltimore and New York (who've been off to a rough starts) and Philly who's starting a rookie who had a rough game. Even if they beat Detroit it just means they're a team that's over achieving. Their defense is at the back end of the league and will continue to get lit up by better offenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Seahawks Are better than every team in nfce

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Seahawks Are better than every team in nfce

nah.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

Cash Monet posted:

Their wins have come against Cleveland, Baltimore and New York (who've been off to a rough starts) and Philly who's starting a rookie who had a rough game. Even if they beat Detroit it just means they're a team that's over achieving. Their defense is at the back end of the league and will continue to get lit up by better offenses.

Other than Cleveland every team we've beaten had a winning record at the time :confused:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

blue squares posted:

Non-Cowboys NFCE teams fans: Do you think Romo should start and when? I've seen endless discussion amongst Dallas fans, but I'd like to hear from the other teams in the division.

No. I do not want to watch a man die/be paralyzed on TV and Dak looks decent.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Dak Prescott will never be as good as Tony Romo

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

Dead? That's what they want you to think.
True. He will be better.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

blue squares posted:

Non-Cowboys NFCE teams fans: Do you think Romo should start and when? I've seen endless discussion amongst Dallas fans, but I'd like to hear from the other teams in the division.

I think it should be up to him. If he wants to go out there and risk his already frail body, he can do so, but Dak is playing well and while Romo would definitely add something to your offense I don't see any reason to rush him back whatsoever until your team is in a Spot or possibly close to playoffs. Dak is good and Dak is the future. TBH you guys should trade Romo to a QB needy team and roll with Dak.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Nodoze posted:

Dak Prescott will never be as good as Tony Romo

I'm okay with this. A lot of QBs worse than Tony Romo have won Super Bowls. One of them, also in the same division, even won two!

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
If the Cowboys are smart, they'll sit Romo until he's truly healthy instead of rushing him back and hurting him more. Romo is still better than Dak.

However Dak seems better at taking care of the ball, so I hope the Boys rush Romo back and ruin everything

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Febreeze posted:

If the Cowboys are smart, they'll sit Romo until he's truly healthy instead of rushing him back and hurting him more. Romo is still better than Dak.

However Dak seems better at taking care of the ball, so I hope the Boys rush Romo back and ruin everything

I agree with this as the plan. Let Dak run into a roadblock before you bust out Romo. Romo will push himself out before he's 100%. Dude needs to get a few practices under his belt before he tries to force himself out onto the field.

Nov 6, 2002

Romo should probably never actually play football again.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Romo is going to be on the Jets next season.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

shyduck posted:

Romo is going to be on the Jets next season.

Romo would do the honorable thing and commit seppuku before accepting such a fate.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Romo should probably never actually play football again.

the patriots are not in the NFC east (aka best division in the NFL) so gently caress off

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

True. He will be better.

Eli Manning has a better chance of winning five more superbowls than this happening

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
if Romo's fully healthy - an admittedly big if - and you want a shot at making the superbowl, yes, you absolutely turn to him. Dak's good for a rookie, but he's still just throwing one TD a game, and has plenty of development left to do. you've got him cheap for another four years, so there's no need to rush it. getting him another 4 or 5 games at the end of this year, when rookies coming from the NCAA tire out and start to regress anyway, seems pointless. best case scenario, they win a Wild Card game.

on the other hand, we've seen what Romo can do with that offense. in 2014 he wasn't just his typical very good-great self, he was a serious MVP candidate. and he showed flashes of that before he got injured at the beginning of last year. with Beasley popping off, Zeke running roughshod over the league, and Dez looking to come back, yeah, it's a no-brainer. however good Dak will be, there's no chance that this season he'll be anywhere near where we've seen Romo play. I mean, he isn't even the best rookie on his offense right now.

that said, I hope they stick with Dak, cause they'll miss the playoffs and it will be funny.

indigi fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 19, 2016

Nov 6, 2002

blue squares posted:

the patriots are not in the NFC east (aka best division in the NFL) so gently caress off

Remind me again why divisional threads were banned?

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Cash Monet posted:

They have been very bad for a very long time so even just beating the teams that they're "supposed to" is an extremely positive development for this stupid franchise.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

ego symphonic posted:

They have been very bad for a very long time so even just beating the teams that they're "supposed to" is an extremely positive development for this stupid franchise.

They weren't supposed to win 3 out of these 4 games. They were underdogs by at least 2 points against NYG, BAL, PHY. So again I think it's a bit revisionist to say oh they haven't beaten anyone, or that they were expected to win these games. If they win in Detroit they will have done so against the Vegas odds again. Detroit is current -1 to -2 depending on the book you trust.

Again - all 3 of those teams were above .500 when the Redskins beat them, and the Redskins covered a -9 spread against Cleveland, the only game they were "supposed" to win.

NattyBo fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 19, 2016

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I don't think pointing to a team being above .500 at the time is a good argument. If they are no longer above .500, that just shows that the team was overrated and the win isn't as impressive

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

blue squares posted:

I don't think pointing to a team being above .500 at the time is a good argument. If they are no longer above .500, that just shows that the team was overrated and the win isn't as impressive

The Eagles are still above .500 and NYG and BAL are .500 and would be above .500 if they had not lost to Washington.

Washington is 11-5 in their last 16 games dating to 2015. Cousins has thrown 32TD to 6 INT and rushed for 5Td in that period as well. The defense hasn't allowed a touchdown in the last 7 quarters, and 1 TD in the last 8. The offense has gone 3 and out only 6 times in 64 possessions, good for first in the NFL. They also lead the league in lowest percentage of drives ending in punt, at 28.1%.

I'm not saying the Redskins are world beaters but it sure seems like the outside perception of the team doesn't match current reality.

NattyBo fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 19, 2016

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

NattyBo posted:

The Eagles are still above .500 and NYG and BAL are .500 and would be above .500 if they had not lost to Washington.

Okay, fair enough. And yeah those numbers do look good. I think its Washington or Dallas for the division win

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
It's because they lost a highly visible game that was also a poor performance by Kirk Cousins. Gruden seemingly dogging on him didn't help perception either. poo poo takes time to course correct, sorry bro. At least the Redskins are in the NFC East so they'll have plenty of future primetime/top slate games to change minds.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

blue squares posted:

Considering that before this season Kirk Cousins had never beaten a team with a winning record, I would argue that it is impressive.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
The Redskins truly have a good offense, their WRs are really good and the OL is playing well. If Jordan Reed remains out they may get worse.

The Skins defense has just felt lucky more than good

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Assuming Vaitai doesn't let Ginger Jesus get murdered this week, it might actually be a good year for Eagles football (he said, trying to make himself believe :smith:)

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

idk but he does have a good point wrt u fuckin off

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Beet Wagon posted:

Assuming Vaitai doesn't let Ginger Jesus get murdered this week, it might actually be a good year for Eagles football (he said, trying to make himself believe :smith:)

I hope Pederson/Stoutland/Vaitai prove me wrong, but I don't expect Vaitai to become much better. I guess it's possible that the Eagles hit the lottery and were able to find a capable rookie offensive tackle in the fifth round, but it seems unlikely. It also seems suspicious that Vaitai was barely mentioned as anything other than a potential candidate for the practice squad before the surprise announcement that he would be starting. He didn't even dress for the first four games.

The guy was drafted as a project that could provide depth in the future and, if we got lucky and he improved a lot, maybe a starter someday. In all likelihood, that's what he still is. I think it was stupid to start him and it's stupid to stick with decision against the Vikings when the Redskins just completely embarrassed him.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Vaitai reminds me of the guys the Redskins had circa mid 2000s. JAG who has no business starting thrust into starting position. Like Stephon Heyer, could be a tough 9 more weeks for Wentz if he continues to look like a turnstile. Kerrigan abused him, and he will face more players of that caliber. But what other options do the Eagles have at that position?

NattyBo fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 19, 2016

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
The original plan was to move Barbre from LG to RT and move Wisniewski to LG. Wisniewski may not be great, but he started for 5 years for the Raiders and Jaguars. Same with Barbre. He may not be great but he's a 9 year vet who has started games.

They also have Matt Tobin who is a 4 year vet and has been occasionally taking snaps this year at TE in 3 tight end formations and on obvious running downs.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

It created tribalism, and the mods wanted general info to go into the main thread. That was when Gendo was around, though.

Personally I liked having the division threads because the regular N/V thread moves way too fast, but I get the sentiment.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The best thing Eagles fans can feel about the Vikings game is that they will get a chance to see how Wentz responds to having an abysmal game. Does he lose confidence and become poo poo? Does he play through it with poise and learn?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Halapoulivaati Vaitai's brothers are named Kevin and William.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

NotWearingPants posted:

The original plan was to move Barbre from LG to RT and move Wisniewski to LG. Wisniewski may not be great, but he started for 5 years for the Raiders and Jaguars. Same with Barbre. He may not be great but he's a 9 year vet who has started games.

They also have Matt Tobin who is a 4 year vet and has been occasionally taking snaps this year at TE in 3 tight end formations and on obvious running downs.

Tough situation. Well, the Skins drafted Morgan Moses in a mid/late round, and he looked awful in spot duty his rookie year (remember him not moving at all post snap during a Monday night game during the RG3 era?), but he has really blossomed into an above average RT.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

NotWearingPants posted:

I hope Pederson/Stoutland/Vaitai prove me wrong, but I don't expect Vaitai to become much better. I guess it's possible that the Eagles hit the lottery and were able to find a capable rookie offensive tackle in the fifth round, but it seems unlikely. It also seems suspicious that Vaitai was barely mentioned as anything other than a potential candidate for the practice squad before the surprise announcement that he would be starting. He didn't even dress for the first four games.

The guy was drafted as a project that could provide depth in the future and, if we got lucky and he improved a lot, maybe a starter someday. In all likelihood, that's what he still is. I think it was stupid to start him and it's stupid to stick with decision against the Vikings when the Redskins just completely embarrassed him.

I feel the same way. His performance last game was abysmal, it's been a long time since I've seen someone get manhandled like that on every single play. I understand that our backs are (sort of) against the wall, but keeping him in was a colossal mistake and this whole thing reeks of Chip kelly levels of "I made a mistake but I refuse to admit it" tbh. I respect not wanting to crush Vaitai's confidence by putting him and then immediately benching him again but the dude's gotta be honest with himself - everyone knows where he stands on the roster. In my opinion it's going to be far worse for him in the long run to be forced into a spot where he just can't perform at the level that's being asked of him than it would be to give him more time to develop. And that's to say nothing of how bad it is for the team, but then again it wouldn't be the NFCE if it didn't devolve into a total shitshow at some point.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.

seiferguy posted:

It created tribalism, and the mods wanted general info to go into the main thread. That was when Gendo was around, though.

Personally I liked having the division threads because the regular N/V thread moves way too fast, but I get the sentiment.

Football is inherently tribal and getting rid of the division threads led to a lot of people not posting. The N/V threads are endless Ravens or Pats circlejerks, with occasional other team discussion sprinkled in. I don't really care what's happening in the AFC West 3 out of 4 years, but I do like nuanced discussion about what's going on with my team and the other NFCE teams.

I hope we can get this thread to continue on a don't ask don't tell basis. God's own division shouldn't have to mingle with the hoi poloi

NattyBo fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 19, 2016

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

NattyBo posted:

God's own division shouldn't have to mingle with the hoi poloi

:agreed: , Washington scum.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

NotWearingPants posted:

Talk about damning with faint praise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

blue squares posted:

The best thing Eagles fans can feel about the Vikings game is that they will get a chance to see how Wentz responds to having an abysmal game. Does he lose confidence and become poo poo? Does he play through it with poise and learn?

This is basically how I felt after the first three games. While I didn't expect Philly to lose to the Lions or Skins, after the Steelers game I was pretty much convinced that Wentz would be good (and he's looked good in both of these losses- although he has been fortunate to have not been picked off more). I'm more interested in seeing him recover from looking lovely and getting knocked around at this point, because the ceiling looks so high, and I just want to get a sense of what "bad" Wentz looks like.

• Locked thread